Costumes

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:35 am

There are space saver bags that you can roll up and they have a channel that will let out air, but not back in.

And those bike lights at REI?--total rip-off. $25 and they dont' even work. Both those fuckers broke on me before I'd used them. I've tried flashing bike (LEDs) lights and I've decided that it doesn't matter what I use they break or fall off before I get much use out of them. I might as well use glows, because they don't work any worse than anything else and at least I get ripped off at a slower rate. And I still take my life in my hands when I come home from the BART station after work. Maybe you're okay if you don't need it year round, but the whole fucking thing pisses me off big time and I have no ideas of how to buy enough flashers to survive until my 46th birthday without spending $460.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:There are space saver bags that you can roll up and they have a channel that will let out air, but not back in.

And those bike lights at REI?--total rip-off. $25 and they dont' even work. Both those fuckers broke on me before I'd used them. I've tried flashing bike (LEDs) lights and I've decided that it doesn't matter what I use they break or fall off before I get much use out of them. I might as well use glows, because they don't work any worse than anything else and at least I get ripped off at a slower rate. And I still take my life in my hands when I come home from the BART station after work. Maybe you're okay if you don't need it year round, but the whole fucking thing pisses me off big time and I have no ideas of how to buy enough flashers to survive until my 46th birthday without spending $460.

It's well-rated

http://www.rei.com/product/793960

I've never used it. I had lights on my bike (well, one color-changing Jesus), and an EL wire skull patch and some other blinking raver toy someone gave me - I'm not really into standing out at night, and I use them for other burns throughout the year.

Once you get all the air out and re-seal them, they'll stay shrunk. Unless they (the plastic slider that closes it across the top or the cap for the hole) break, or get popped.

/shrugs

They simply were not worth the extra cost, at all. I have some of those regular over-sized ziplocs I've used through a couple of burns, now. I think one, out of all the space saver bags, still survives.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:27 pm

C.f.M. wrote:It's well-rated

The internet does provide choices of numerous strangers with opinions you can believe.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:49 pm

I run into issues with attachement. Maybe I should just use goop and pull them off and buy new ones when the batteries wear down.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:13 pm

maybe something flexible with velcro?
Elorrum

Postby Victorian » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:There are space saver bags that you can roll up and they have a channel that will let out air, but not back in.

I've heard glows arent allowed anymore on playa this year?
Rumor, True, any idea?
Victorian

Postby fbcota » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Yep, its true. The BLM trucks kept getting stuck in a glowing sludge last year so BLM is saying no glow sticks. Those bastards.
fbcota

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:31 am

fbcota wrote:Yep, its true. The BLM trucks kept getting stuck in a glowing sludge last year so BLM is saying no glow sticks. Those bastards.

That'd be AWESOME.
C.f.M.

Postby pinemom » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 am

But not true...Just do everyone the favor...if you use the glowy sticks be responsible and properly dispose of YOUR moop in your TENT.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm

it's true, there's little sadder moop than a dead glowstick in the dust. kind of like a mayfly. Started out so bright and wonderful. So don't fucking leave them lying around, it's just damned disrespectful!!!
Elorrum

Postby Victorian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Alrighty friends, thank you again, for the feedback!

I'm not much of a raver, but if I have to pack light, I may consider a few of these. But this, is coming from me, so let me give you a little back round on the upbringings of "Victorian"...

-My mother would pull over, on a highway even, here in our small town, if she ever caught me throwing anything out the window. From the age of about 5 or 6 and to NOW....

I will do my part, to keep the moop levels low for 2010. And if I DO decide to bring some glowies, I'll be sure to keep track of every one, and also pick up any abandoned ones on the playa. :wink:
Victorian

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 am

Victorian wrote:...and also pick up any abandoned ones on the playa. :wink:

Moo hoo ha ha...
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:40 am

Out bike (two seats, four wheels) has a 12V battery to run the standard head, tail and marker lights, plus additional strands of solar LEDS, and battery operated Christmas lights for decor. We're moving from the big marine deep cell to lighter gel batteries for the 12v.

You can even wear a solar christmas LED net as a poncho. The kind which goes over bushes.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Victorian » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Heeheeheee.. I'm giggling over your sharing AntiM.. Great ideas.

I'm going solo this year, in a vw beetle. A newer one, which has even less storage space. I'm a bare minimums kinda person.. I guess I still need to review best choice for me on this one...
Victorian

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:19 am

Victorian wrote:Heeheeheee.. I'm giggling over your sharing AntiM.. Great ideas.

I'm going solo this year, in a vw beetle. A newer one, which has even less storage space. I'm a bare minimums kinda person.. I guess I still need to review best choice for me on this one...

A small flashlight. The end.

Covering yourself with lights = other people can see you, but if you're not wandering around all fucked up, and mindful of bikes and art cars, it's not that big of a deal.

I like the EL wire because it is small and easily adjustable (wrap it around a leg, a hat, a backpack, etc.).

I have one of these (ground score!) that you can pin anywhere - plus, it freaks out idiots if they look into it:

http://www.bewild.com/indespwatune.html

These are small and magnetic, so they can go many places:

http://www.bewild.com/magflasravli.html

Keep an eye out for free promotional crap from beer and cigarette companies, you can disassemble them for the light.
C.f.M.

Postby j_cavera » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:34 am

Bare minimum night illumination:

Lighted dog collar from the pet store. The kind that is lit all the way around and can blink. Just $10 and has lasted me 3 burns so far, with the same set of watch batteries. Just make sure that you get one that is too big for your neck. Though a tighter one may seem more stylish, unless you have a furry neck (can't make any assumtions here) they do tend to chafe.

- Jim
j_cavera

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 pm

A flashlight with a leash, something blinky to wear, adn possibly a blinky thing on the zipper tab of your tent. And a glowstick inside your pee jug.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:04 pm

it's nice to have a light that you can manage hands free... a cord you can put around your neck, a clip to clip to a hat, or on a string around your wrist. When utilizing the porta potties you would appreciate that detail. There's rarely a spot where you would either want to place a flashlight, or where it would stay placed.
Elorrum

Postby C187 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:35 am

A bit late, but a wonderful alternative to stacks of space saver bags is the ridiculously large latch able plastic tote (reference), and a bit of duct tape. I've used one since my first time home and it's worked out great. Although I'm not the type of person to dress up, the tote has kept me organized and my stuff relativity dust free. The trick is to have a towel or other type of cloth on the top area, and to keep the tote inside your tent.

As for lights, an alternative to glow sticks are LED sticks. Little bit longer then a chemical glow stick and about as thick. Some can last a few years before the battery dies. I've fond these sticks with camping gear at most box stores or outdoors shops.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Victorian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:30 pm

All much better ideas. Thank you guys.
CFM that site looks pretty awesome, I'll have to check it out.
Victorian

Previous

Return to 2010 Art & Performance