Project fit for the theme?

Project fit for the theme?

Postby Shasta » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 am

Allthough I havent attended Burning Man, and 2010 will be my first time, I really really wanted to contribute to the art. Iv wanted to go for YEARS but never was able to due to my age, and recently my mom set a deal with me that she will take me to Burning Man..... If I graduate high school this year.
which will be difficult but im determaned to get it done so i can go... ANYWAYS.

I have an idea for a sculpture, but im not too sure if it fits the theme, and id just like your guyses imput on the subject.


now this is the FIRST image that came into my mind as i read the name of 2010's theme


A man sitting down "indian style" with his hands on his knees as if he were meditateing, made completly out of that wire metal stuff. I wanted to have his chest be an old bird cage with a paper heart made out of news paper in it, and bird wings on that heart.

Now Im not sure if that fits the theme, and are your thoughts?

also I was thinking of somehow makeing the heart of fire instead of paper becuase I feel it would fit better with BURNING man. now the thing is with the metal wireing I don't want it to get red hot and all that so im unsure about that idea

but what do you think?
:D
>^_^<
Shasta
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:38 am
Location: AZ

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 am

Sounds interesting.

The usual advice to virgins (of any age) is to first experience the event before jumping in with large projects. The playa is unforgiving for those not prepared and nothing substitutes for experience. Plus waiting a year to undertake a large project allows you to full immerse yourself the first year without the hassle of large art.

Where will you get the supplies and who pays for this? Do you have any metalworking experience and/or tools? Where do you envision this piece, in camp or out on the deep playa? Have you read any of the placement and safety guidelines yet? How will you secure it against the wind? If it is placed other than in your camp, how will you light it at night? How will you transport this sculpture? What size is it?

Fire effects on art pieces have very specific safety guidelines, so you must read those also.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you must deal with these types of nuts and bolt questions anyway, nay as well get a head start on how to bring your vision to fruition.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17673
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Shasta, your art does not need to be theme-related, unless you expect it to be funded and placed on the open playa, etc. (And that usually requires a track record.) But it's okay if it's one with the theme. I don't see that it IS theme related, however.

You could build this in conjunction with a theme camp, or even on a regular camping spot. Whatever.

My advice is to test-build sections and elements of your project at home, off-playa. Assemble as much of it at home as possible. You don't want to be experimenting on the playa, with gale force duststorms and the right tools hundreds of miles away.

Beyond that I would say go for it!
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:57 pm

My one placed piece was theme related, but UD is right, it doesn't have to be.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on your idea.

I do a project annually, but most of the work is done off playa, year round, and involves many participants donating to the cycle of art.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17673
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 pm

AntiM wrote:I do a project annually, but most of the work is done off playa, year round, and involves many participants donating to the cycle of art.

[aside]I got a California Mission for you yesterday.[/aside]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 39923
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Project fit for the theme?

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:22 am

Shasta wrote: my mom set a deal with me that she will take me to Burning Man..... If I graduate high school this year.
which will be difficult but im determaned to get it done so i can go... ANYWAYS.

Smart lady.

Shasta wrote: id just like your guyses imput on the subject.

Oh man...


About the question: Ugly Dougly is right, your art project doesn't have to have anything at all to do with the theme of the event. Build whatever you want and bring it. The theme is just a suggestion.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
 
Posts: 5967
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 am

Don't forget lighting for yer art....gets dark out there
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
User avatar
Fire_Moose
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby Victorian » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 pm

AntiM wrote:Sounds interesting.

The usual advice to virgins (of any age) is to first experience the event before jumping in with large projects. The playa is unforgiving for those not prepared and nothing substitutes for experience. Plus waiting a year to undertake a large project allows you to full immerse yourself the first year without the hassle of large art.

Where will you get the supplies and who pays for this? Do you have any metalworking experience and/or tools? Where do you envision this piece, in camp or out on the deep playa? Have you read any of the placement and safety guidelines yet? How will you secure it against the wind? If it is placed other than in your camp, how will you light it at night? How will you transport this sculpture? What size is it?

Fire effects on art pieces have very specific safety guidelines, so you must read those also.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you must deal with these types of nuts and bolt questions anyway, nay as well get a head start on how to bring your vision to fruition.



I've been debating art to take this year as a virgin.. you've just made up my mind. Rather then art, I will now worry more so about my gifts and worry about the art for 2011 and further years...

As always, thank you AntiM
User avatar
Victorian
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Lake havasu city AZ

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Don't worry about anything. Do what you want, as you can, show up, enjoy (or not) then get on with your life.
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 am

Shasta

bring your very cool project in 2011. This year, concentrate on kicking ass in high school. Graduating is far more important than Burning Man ever will be.

Your father
User avatar
Teo del Fuego
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:31 am
Location: Denver
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Shasta » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:Shasta

bring your very cool project in 2011. This year, concentrate on kicking ass in high school. Graduating is far more important than Burning Man ever will be.

Your father


Ahaha :]

alright iv decided to wait on my project as of the most of you are right, I should see how things work out there first.

and yes of course concentrate on my schooling :]

<3
>^_^<
Shasta
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:38 am
Location: AZ

Postby Victorian » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Shasta, I'm only 21, graduated in 2005, and I'm a younger "burner" going my first time this year... there will be lots of new faces, maybe we can find each other, and plan an art project for 2011, and bring it up the next year to come! We're both from az I see!

*I always find the silver lining... :D
User avatar
Victorian
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Lake havasu city AZ

Re: Project fit for the theme?

Postby Here and there » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Shasta wrote:recently my mom set a deal with me that she will take me to Burning Man..... If I graduate high school this year.

(snip)

but what do you think?
:D



I'm thinking that you should focus on school, right now, and put off thinking about Burning Man. The problem is that once one starts thinking about this awesome thing that comes after graduation, one often starts longing for it to come, and gets impatient. Ever see a kid staring out the window in class? You know what's going to happen to his grades, right? In a sense, you can become that kid, very easily, because like him, you've come to see the present moment as something you're waiting to have be over, instead of something that has value, itself. It's a disease called "senioritis", and it drops a lot of GPAs.

The best cure is to focus in on the moment, and think about everything that's cool about the life you're living right now. I know that you probably don't think that there is anything cool about it - most people don't, when they're in high school - but there are unique experiences happening right now, that you'll miss later in life. Slow down, enjoy them, and not only will you be likelier to graduate, but you'll be less likely to look back, someday, and think "oh, I wish I had done that, when I could".

As for what to do at one's first Burning Man - I think there's something to be said for arriving completely without plans, and just experiencing the environment, living completely for each passing moment. The first time you do or experience anything is special, because you'll never be able to see the thing with eyes as fresh, ever again. If you bring a project that first year, it gives you something to worry about, and maybe takes you out of the moment.

YMMV Image
When in doubt, hit the ignore key. You'll seldom miss anything worth reading, and your blood pressure will thank you.

My Homepage: Torchlight
Other Pages: My Foes List
User avatar
Here and there
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Nowhere I want to be

Re: Project fit for the theme?

Postby Here and there » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Here and there wrote:I think there's something to be said for arriving completely without plans,


Within reason. You should plan to bring enough food and water, shelter, etc. I bring this up, because sometimes people do overlook these things and think they'll sing for their suppers or something. That doesn't tend to work, because supplies are usually in short supply, and there's only so much people can give.

I don't want to be the person who accidentally tells you to overlook your own survival needs. I'm not saying that you'd do that, but I'd hate to be the reason you did.
User avatar
Here and there
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Nowhere I want to be


Return to 2010 Art & Performance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron