Anybody like the idea of synchronized music?

Postby Oldguy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:05 am

Thanks Gyre. I looked up wifi on HowStuffWorks.com also. I'll need an usb adapter and driver software to pick up a local signal (maybe from a neighbor). My old pc is slow. If I ever get a new laptop I'll make sure it is capable. I also found out some other hotspots in my area. I live 5 blocks from the new store probably out of range without cheap repeaters along the way. I was hopeing to recieve a signal from the new free wifi site and kill my netzero service. I only have 1 computer, don't need a local area network.

A dish antenna, huh. I have a landline for isp hookup. No dsl or other highspeed cable is available here.
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby gyre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:21 am

It's about 5" and folds up.
Very directional, but good for the size.

If you want to use the hawking antennas, get one of their adapters or cards.
They have antenna connections.
The cards are usually better, but depends on quality.
If there isn't anything in range to pick up, it won't do any good on a fixed machine though.
You might be able to split up service with a neighbor.
Always cheaper splitting it between 2, 3 or 4 households.
gyre

Postby Elorrum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:40 am

I"m thinking a bunch of little jet, and helicopter, mutants, in formation, blaring Ride of the Valkyries It isn't original, but most people get the reference. I have a short range fm transmitter kit that didn't go together right... could use some troubleshooting, or another new kit even. bunch of bicycles with plain old radios... perhaps the bait bike mission send-off. Future metropolis movies always have little personal flying cars and such.
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:42 am

I do love Wagner.............if no one wants WN, that is..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elorrum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:48 am

I admit I have a hard time listening to that tune, and not singing to self, "kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit"
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:59 am

you speak my language, she-devil........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j9QeUoPOi4[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:01 am

The whole synchronized music idea is really cool but here's what the practical logistics look like. Most mutant vehicles of any size have sound systems but are only significantly audible in their immediate area. In reality, the synchronized-sound thing could happen but no one would even know it, unless you also arranged to have the vehicles within a few hundred feet of each other. If you did that, the effect would be impressive! But hell, we try to arrange mutant vehicle gatherings and cruises almost every year, and they rarely happen because... shit just happens on the playa and plans sort of evaporate.

The only camps that are loud enough, and located perfectly, to make a dramatic effect are the large-scale 10 and 2 dance camps. Some MVs with sound located in between 10 and 2 as fillers would work well, but if they weren't within earshot of the 10 and 2 camps you wouldn't even know they were synced up. Effect = zero.

Wifi would be great for just a 10-and-2 sync-up because you could split the left and right stereo signals between the 10 and 2 installations for awesome effect on the playa. With just two (maybe three or four) camps to link, setting up the wifi would be easy and most importantly - likely to even happen.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:10 am

*making note: see, that Cap'n is a smart fellow*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Also consider the speed of sound. Say you have very loud systems on two vehicles. They are picking up BRC radio just to keep things simple. They drive apart. Depending on where you are listening to these, they will quickly become un-synchronized.

Might be fun.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:32 pm

yes....a wall of sound....i really like the stereo idea of 10 and 2.

especially if we could cross fade and flange for some freaky auditory effects on a grand scale...

the whole movement phenomena of shifting sound is part of the bm experience as doppler catches your ass and waves as it goes by...

semi-synchronized cacaphony could be very powerful, as the temple waves demonstrates.
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby littleflower » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:02 pm

i have some sound art cds ..... put several tracks on my ipod ...

the other day my sis was over for lunch and one of those things came on in the middle of some songs, and it freaked her out! just not at all what you'd expect, and if you don't know it's coming, or why, it can be pretty cool. some of them are pretty damned spooky ...

might be very interesting blasting all over the playa ..... 8)
littleflower

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:03 pm

there's some German guy on the "Ein Hammer thread" talking about some power thing....... I wonder if it'd power speakers in the outer areas?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Oh dear, I really dislike Copacabana.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Oldguy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:04 pm

How about parking MV's around Centercamp and giving them a dose of surround sound right before the annual "Battle of the Marching Bands" competition? Or syncing up MV's pre-burn around the Man? Or mob syncing blackberries or ipods or transiter radios in various places? Or gifting those cheap FM scanning radios from the dollar store, and telling the mob to turn them on (with a traveling FM broadcast set-up). Or MV's trailing the lamplighters one night with tunes like "Light my fire", I didn't start the fire", etc...
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby alt12 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Actually the big art-car sound systems do this all the time. Not via radio, but they rig-up their art-cars via cable (I think they're just running their speakers in parallel essentially) and have one DJ controlling the sound of several cars, creating a massive sound system.... Ever been to Temple of Breaks? That's what they do....

Wifi would be better though...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

City-wide Hooka Dome?

Postby dewnorth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Give the mic/transmitter to Hooka Dome. They could rock Black Rock.

Hmmmmmm Hey, wait a minute: Rock Black Rock. Somebody want to use that for the theme?
dewnorth

Postby duffdog » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Hmm,

It is an interesting concept. But, why would anyone want to listen to the same music everywhere they went?

Also- In case nobody noticed, most of the music at burningman is already synchronized-- about 90% of the "dj's" are all playing the same top 100 beatport tracks that they just downloaded 2 days before arriving at the playa. So no matter what camp you walk to, you get to hear the same tracks you just heard 10 minutes ago. Then, you get to hear them again the next day because the new dj's only have those same songs...then, the next day, then the next day, until you have a headache because you can name every song you hear because you heard it 10 times.

Also, if anyone decided they were going to use RF freqencies to do this, you would have to watch out for assholes like me who would find out what frequency was being used and jam everyones receiver with more powerful transmitter just because I could.
Purveyor of Fine 'Soul Crushing Bass'
duffdog

Postby goodgodgreg » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 am

just so you guys know BMIR was live online last year. I listened to it while I watched a webcam. Not sure if that helps any.

Personally I like sort of the idea each car is a different instrument and all at once you play a song like an orchestra but it's your idea.
goodgodgreg

Previous

Return to 2010 Art & Performance