Ramadan

Ramadan

Postby burn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 am

this year burning man falls on the muslim holy month of ramadan.
my boyfriend is observing the fast, anyone else out there also? i'll probably be cooking up some iftar meals if you would like to come and break your fast with our camp!

-b
burn

Postby hollywallydoodle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 am

aw, oh…

i think it's spawning.
hollywallydoodle

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 am

hollywallydoodle wrote:aw, oh…

i think it's spawning.

*chuckling*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am

It's okay, I don't normally have an appetite until the sun sets anyway.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:37 am

i think it's spawning.

Nope, legit post.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Burn- have your boyfriend talk to his religious leader about the no-water prohibition.

Not drinking water during the day can lead to serious health issues- this is the high desert and an extremely alkaline area. People end up in the med tents every year due to severe dehydration, and this year looks like it's going to be a hot one. I would hate to see him end up spending his trip under medical care.

I know there are some health exceptions for fasting (ie: diabetics), this might fall under that.

Dawn will be roughly 6-6:30 am, dusk around 8pm. 14 hours without water in 100+ heat.........

I know this isn't an answer to your original question, I just want to make sure your boyfriend understands the dangers. He should be fine with the food part, the water is a concern.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Eric wrote:Burn- have your boyfriend talk to his religious leader about the no-water prohibition.

Not drinking water during the day can lead to serious health issues- this is the high desert and an extremely alkaline area. People end up in the med tents every year due to severe dehydration, and this year looks like it's going to be a hot one. I would hate to see him end up spending his trip under medical care.

I know there are some health exceptions for fasting (ie: diabetics), this might fall under that.

Dawn will be roughly 6-6:30 am, dusk around 8pm. 14 hours without water in 100+ heat.........

I know this isn't an answer to your original question, I just want to make sure your boyfriend understands the dangers. He should be fine with the food part, the water is a concern.

Can't be worst than Saudi Arabia or even Iraq.
Marscrumbs

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:
Eric wrote:Burn- have your boyfriend talk to his religious leader about the no-water prohibition.

Can't be worst than Saudi Arabia or even Iraq.

Maybe, but he's probably acclimatized to new york.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:Can't be worst than Saudi Arabia or even Iraq.

It's high desert, which is more dehydrating than lower desert (less humidity). I grew up in the deserts of Arizona- the playa is definitely more trying on the body than that. From the survival guide (which I just know you've read):

the humidity is extremely low, which rapidly and continually wicks the moisture from your body. Because the atmosphere is so dry, you may not feel particularly warm, but you'll be steadily drying up.

and

drink water all the time whether you think you need it or not

I know many religions make health exceptions for fasting. I've had camp-mates who were drinking water, just not enough, go to Medical due to dehydration. Avoiding fluids during the day on the playa seems to be a recipe for disaster, and I would prefer Burn's boyfriend to be aware that this isn't what would be considered the safest environment for that aspect of the fast.

How he deals with that within the context of his beliefs is up to him.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby hollywallydoodle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 pm

AntiM wrote:

i think it's spawning.

Nope, legit post.

oh…well thank you antim! i apologize for the confusion, burn.
hollywallydoodle

Postby C187 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm

You should totally make some jalebi (zalabia) to hand out.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby stroppy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:35 pm

I may be mistaken but I thought that people traveling more than a few miles from their homes/home cities were not supposed to observe the fast because of the potential danger to their body (as well as the very young, old, infirm, etc.).
stroppy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:46 am

It was certainly developed with desert dwellers in mind.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Isotopia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:44 pm

A well thought post Eric.

Certainly one to consider.

As an aside though I had no idea that fasting for the holiday involved not having water during the day.
Isotopia

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:56 pm

As read on Islam for Today and confirmed by my Lebanese friend, Jamal.

WHO IS EXEMPT FROM SAWM?

Fasting is mandatory on every Muslim who is sane, adult, able and resident. The following exemptions apply:

the insane;
children who are not adolescent yet;
the elderly and chronically ill for whom fasting is unreasonably strenuous; Such persons are required to feed at least one poor person every day in Ramadan for which he or she has missed fasting.
pregnant women and nursing may postpone the fasting at a later time;
the ill and the travellers can also defer their fasting.
Allah says in the Qur'an, Surah Al-Baqara:
'But if anyone is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period should be made up by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put you to difficulties.'

it also says

Breaking of fast under exceptional conditions:

Muslims are permitted to break the ordained fast of Ramadan when there is danger to their health. In this situation a Muslim should make up his fast later at any other time of the year.

He may want to talk to a religious advisor, but it seems that drinking water would be fine. But more importantly, that perhaps he should observe his fast after leaving the burn.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Isotopia wrote:As an aside though I had no idea that fasting for the holiday involved not having water during the day.

The Ramadan fast is pretty strict during the day, but you don't actually cut down on your daily calories that much due to the iftar meals being fairly large.

Personally I think its a great thing that he's trying to keep his fast during the Event- it will definitely give a different perspective. I just want to make sure that he doesn't get sick due to dehydration because of it.

Muslims are permitted to break the ordained fast of Ramadan when there is danger to their health. In this situation a Muslim should make up his fast later at any other time of the year.

Hopefully his Imam will give him good guidance.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I Ramadan yer mother's throat!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm

If I am not mistaken, the restriction against drinking water during the day is a more conservative interpretation of Ramadan.

Sawn means to abstain from eating, drinking or seeing what is against Islam, the saying of rude language and intercourse. Plenty to see on the playa that is "against Islam" for the strict observer. Drinking water would be least of his trespasses.

I once worked with some Muslims during Ramadan; they drank water all day, in small amounts.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:23 pm

"all these organized religions are goofy"

:(Thor, speaking to Tyre one day in Asgard)"
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby yellowpants » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:48 pm

I would just skip a week of fasting (or at least drink during the day) and catch up it up later if I was Muslim.
yellowpants

Postby sambojones » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:14 pm

yup i'm putting my fast on hold for my trip out there and i'll be making up the days after i get back no food during the day isn't that bad, but the water breaks it for me so a few extra days at the end will be well worth it
sambojones

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:35 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:As read on Islam for Today and confirmed by my Lebanese friend, Jamal.

WHO IS EXEMPT FROM SAWM?

Fasting is mandatory on every Muslim who is sane, adult, able and resident. The following exemptions apply:

the insane;
the elderly and chronically ill for whom fasting is unreasonably strenuous; Such persons are required to feed at least one poor person every day in Ramadan for which he or she has missed fasting.
'But if anyone is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period should be made up by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put you to difficulties.'

it also says

He may want to talk to a religious advisor, but it seems that drinking water would be fine. But more importantly, that perhaps he should observe his fast after leaving the burn.

Thanks for doing the research. I wonder if going to the Playa would be considered a journey. I must admit, the one thing I miss about organized religion are rituals.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 am

Fire_Moose wrote:I Ramadan yer mother's throat!

Seriously, FM? :roll:
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:51 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:As read on Islam for Today and confirmed by my Lebanese friend, Jamal.

WHO IS EXEMPT FROM SAWM?

the insane;

it also says

Thanks for doing the research. I wonder if going to the Playa would be considered a journey. I must admit, the one thing I miss about organized religion are rituals.

you don't need organized mainstream religion, to have rituals........

just sayin'.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:26 am

AntiM wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:I Ramadan yer mother's throat!

Seriously, FM? :roll:

Ya, I don't kid about that kinda stuff.
Fire_Moose

Postby Token » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 am

I did a three week stay in Istambul during Ramadan.

It was a ghost town during the day, but at night, man the Turks know how to party.

Had a blast that year.
Token

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:04 am

is anyone appointed "top ramadan"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 am

ygmir wrote:is anyone appointed "top ramadan"?

Literal Laugh out loud there.
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:24 am

Is an observant Muslim man allowed to look upon boobies during Ramadan? (Serious question BTW.)
Ugly Dougly

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:52 am

Token wrote:I did a three week stay in Istambul during Ramadan.

It was a ghost town during the day, but at night, man the Turks know how to party.

Had a blast that year.

When I was 16, we lived in Shiraz. I could go to school or on grocery runs, but otherwise we teenage girls were told to stay indoors.

I don't recall which religious observance was the week we were told not to wear red. Wasn't Ramadan.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Next

Return to 2010 Theme