Metropolis Fashion what to wear?

Metropolis Fashion what to wear?

Postby silkrock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Hey burners,

I was trying to think about what to wear as the theme of a metropolis look? In the movie metropolis is was about a futuristic mega-city whose society is divided into two classes: one of planners and management, who live high above the Earth in luxurious skyscrapers; and one of workers, who live and toil underground.

Basically the movie is pretty dramatic and sad,childern,workers, and robots die. :(

I was thinking of some futuristic business outfits. The only problem is that business wear is not that comfortable.

I thought to myself well maybe some a bodysuit that kinda looks suit made of swimsuit material.

Yet I feel that even this concept is not enough. I would like something alittle bit more creative, and sexy of course!

So what concept you guys think would be a good fit for the metropolis theme. Is there really a theme?
Have a Love-A-Fair with Life!

Silkrock
silkrock

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dilated peoples

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Wear whatever you're comfortable in, theme be damned. If you want to dress completely in what you visualize as future-corporate, go for it, but if you want to run around in a tutu and a top hat you're free to do that as well.

As for suits- I love wearing full suits & ties on the playa at night- but I like wearing suits & ties out at night in SF too. You wouldn't catch me in one during the day there, but I've seen other people do it.

No rules. None. I would just suggest go for daytime comfort to survive the heat.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:41 am

didn't you hear?

Naked is the new suit.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Re: Metropolis Fashion what to wear?

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:49 am

silkrock wrote:I was thinking of some futuristic business outfits. The only problem is that business wear is not that comfortable.

But your slight discomfort could make someone's day.

One of the funnies thing I've ever seen at any Burn was some guys riding around on a flat deck-type of vehicle in the middle of the day. I've no idea how it steered, but it apparently did. All were gathered around a conference table, with one guy standing up at a white board. They each were dressed in business attire, sitting at the table with their laptops open and looking very unfulfilled. As they drove by, the guy at the white board looked over and angrily shouted at us, "Tuesday''s a work day, people!"
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:52 am

I don't dress for themes, I dress for me.

Make business wear comfortable. Make a suit out of t-shirts. Paint a suit onto something comfortable.
C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:56 am

LeChatNoir wrote:
silkrock wrote:I was thinking of some futuristic business outfits. The only problem is that business wear is not that comfortable.

But your slight discomfort could make someone's day.

One of the funnies thing I've ever seen at any Burn was some guys riding around on a flat deck-type of vehicle in the middle of the day. I've no idea how it steered, but it apparently did. All were gathered around a conference table, with one guy standing up at a white board. They each were dressed in business attire, sitting at the table with their laptops open and looking very unfulfilled. As they drove by, the guy at the white board looked over and angrily shouted at us, "Tuesday''s a work day, people!"

That is freakin' awesome. I was wondering earlier this week about the fun I could have with this

http://www.toxel.com/tech/2010/06/29/po ... on-wheels/
C.f.M.

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:05 am

Oh my god… you could roll it to different places, take your time happily setting it up, and then sit down and begin to cry as you look at a printed out picture of the playa. Tell people, as they pass by, [i]“I really wish I could be at Burning Man instead of this hell holeâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:24 am

YES. :shock:

Vaguely reminiscent of dressing like total suburbanites and wandering around looking disapproving and confused.
C.f.M.

Postby Risky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:31 am

CFM!
Risky

Postby goathead » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:36 am

LOL
many years ago a couple of Hushville residents Carol and errrr dam what was his name????? did the playa chicken if I remember right

anyway they have the inflatable tourist costumes, wandering around and she was beating him with a newspaper whenever there where boobies in sight.

they where a riot.
:lol:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:42 am

Or you could print sky scrapers (blocks on end with little "windows" cut out of them) onto fabric and wrap yourself in it, or even so it. If you had a top hat you could to the same to it. Or just print out pictures of the millenium eye and the space needle and the rialto bridge and the colosseum and the empire state building and pin them onto yourself. Or you could print out the London Underground map onto cloth and do something with that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Or you could print sky scrapers (blocks on end with little "windows" cut out of them) onto fabric and wrap yourself in it, or even so it. If you had a top hat you could to the same to it. Or just print out pictures of the millenium eye and the space needle and the rialto bridge and the colosseum and the empire state building and pin them onto yourself. Or you could print out the London Underground map onto cloth and do something with that.

I can see all Metropolis going around :D
MisaBlue

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:35 pm

goathead wrote:LOL
many years ago a couple of Hushville residents Carol and errrr dam what was his name????? did the playa chicken if I remember right

anyway they have the inflatable tourist costumes, wandering around and she was beating him with a newspaper whenever there where boobies in sight.

they where a riot.

Carol and David Peterman, as in "I know the Petermans"! And the famous "Peterman Plan".

The tourist alter-egos were Ken and Betty Bundt, from Minnesota, who were going to Birmingham and made the wrong turn at Albuquerque.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:50 pm

MisaBlue wrote:Image

Oh my... I really really like that Chrysler Building outfit. ARRRGHHH..... the last ting I need is another project.

It's the boots and coat that really make it.
LeChatNoir

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:18 pm

I just like the fact that they all are wearing outfits we'd like to have, yet they look like the uptight 1930's businessmen they are!

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Some of those buildings look like peanuts.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby gidget » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:11 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:One of the funnies thing I've ever seen at any Burn was some guys riding around on a flat deck-type of vehicle in the middle of the day. I've no idea how it steered, but it apparently did. All were gathered around a conference table, with one guy standing up at a white board. They each were dressed in business attire, sitting at the table with their laptops open and looking very unfulfilled. As they drove by, the guy at the white board looked over and angrily shouted at us, "Tuesday''s a work day, people!"

Saw that! Fucking HILARIOUS!!! :lol: My husband is pondering a city bus/subway costume prop, (obviously requiring more participation than just him...) holding onto a loop or bar, putting down the Esplanade....
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Postby Sham » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Those guys look so "urban"!
Sham

Postby Minxy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:40 pm

OH, gosh, I wish I'd seen the conference table thing, that sounds hysterical.

My daughter and I are coming up with meter maid outfits. We want to print out parking tickets with all sorts of humorous stuff on them and get some stickers printed up to give out with the ticket (as a small gift). We are envisioning meandering around the playa and coming across random folks out in the middle of nowhere and sternly ticketing them. "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but can't you see you're blocking traffic?! We have to give you a ticket!"

:D

We thought it might be fun to have on the ticket an order to appear at "court" with our camp addy on it. The sentencing could be something like "you've been convicted of parking illegally and being sober...you are sentenced to 2 shots of tequila!"

Just brainstorming...hehehe!
Minxy

Postby goathead » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:51 pm

AntiM wrote:
goathead wrote:LOL

they where a riot.

Carol and David Peterman, as in "I know the Petermans"! And the famous "Peterman Plan".

The tourist alter-egos were Ken and Betty Bundt, from Minnesota, who were going to Birmingham and made the wrong turn at Albuquerque.

They where Fun

Sort of like the Mormon Missionaries where.

Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby MisaBlue » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Thats cool Minxy...hope to block traffic in your way!
MisaBlue

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:17 pm

goathead wrote:Sort of like the Mormon Missionaries where.

I'll pass that on to them, they're good friends of mine. One even had a Catholic screaming at him for "spreading the lies of mormonism", so Joey ("Brother Junkie") just went at him like a real missionary.

Good times.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby goathead » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Eric wrote:

I'll pass that on to them, they're good friends of mine. One even had a Catholic screaming at him for "spreading the lies of mormonism", so Joey ("Brother Junkie") just went at him like a real missionary.

Good times.

If they are the same ones as in grrrrr 02? "two guys and a girl", they where great neighbors, "outer ring that year". getting dressed up in the evening, polishing their bikes, handing out "Testa, mints" saving souls and searching for wives....LMAO
good kids.
The more pissed off u got the deeper into the shtick they would go.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:33 pm

goathead wrote:
Eric wrote:

Good times.

If they are the same ones as in grrrrr 02? "two guys and a girl", they where great neighbors, "outer ring that year". getting dressed up in the evening, polishing their bikes, handing out "Testa, mints" saving souls and searching for wives....LMAO
good kids.

My friends started doing it on '03. Usually a group of 3-6 of them. No mints, just the Book of Mormon, "cocaine" smeared around their noses and track marks on their arms. More "anti-missionary's", but its amazing how many people took them serious & got offended (except the Mormons they met. They loved it. Go figure)

I really want to get a cassock this year & go all Eastern Orthodox. I certainly have the beard for it. That or a rabbi. At least I actually know the Hebrew prayers.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:42 pm

We thought it might be fun to have on the ticket an order to appear at "court" with our camp addy on it. The sentencing could be something like "you've been convicted of parking illegally and being sober...you are sentenced to 2 shots of tequila!"

Minxy, that's adorable. Do it.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Minxy wrote:OH, gosh, I wish I'd seen the conference table thing, that sounds hysterical.

My daughter and I are coming up with meter maid outfits. We want to print out parking tickets with all sorts of humorous stuff on them and get some stickers printed up to give out with the ticket (as a small gift). We are envisioning meandering around the playa and coming across random folks out in the middle of nowhere and sternly ticketing them. "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but can't you see you're blocking traffic?! We have to give you a ticket!"

Just brainstorming...hehehe!

I like it!!

(in the middle of the open playa) "You're obstructing the view of the art, sir."

(in a dust storm) "Sir, I'm sorry, but you've allowed too much playa dust to collect on your clothing. That dust is public land. You don't honestly expect us to allow you to keep that do you?."
LeChatNoir

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Eric wrote:
goathead wrote:
Eric wrote:

Good times.

good kids.

My friends started doing it on '03. Usually a group of 3-6 of them. No mints, just the Book of Mormon, "cocaine" smeared around their noses and track marks on their arms. More "anti-missionary's", but its amazing how many people took them serious & got offended (except the Mormons they met. They loved it. Go figure)

I really want to get a cassock this year & go all Eastern Orthodox. I certainly have the beard for it. That or a rabbi. At least I actually know the Hebrew prayers.

This is mostly a bump. Eastern Orthodox would be cool. YOu could argue about when christmas is and I don't know--pass out the man in icon form.
With a halo, I suppose.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know--pass out the man in icon form.
With a halo, I suppose.

Holy crap Fishy, I hadn't thought of that!

Mind is hummming, which is dangerous with a hangover.

edit: the rank above bishop in the orthodox church is Metropolitan. I would even be in theme for once!

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know--pass out the man in icon form.
With a halo, I suppose.

Holy crap Fishy, I hadn't thought of that!

Mind is hummming, which is dangerous with a hangover.

edit: the rank above bishop in the orthodox church is Metropolitan. I would even be in theme for once!

If you do, I'd be very interested in that schwag.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Minxy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks to those who replied to the meter maid idea, hehe. I thought it would be a riot.

Gotta figure out a costume!
Minxy

Next

Return to 2010 Theme