2010: Holy Black Rock City, Batman!

2010: Holy Black Rock City, Batman!

Postby yonderboy777 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Hey burning peeps! Soooo excited about 2010 theme. I have tons of ideas and wanted to throw a few into the circle to see what kind of enthusiasm others feel.

1. I'd like to arrange to perform a foundation ritual for the city on Sunday night at sunset. This would be based on actual ritual texts used at the founding of cities in ancient Mesopotamia and Rome. The purpose of the ritual is to make the city the seat of a deity and a symbolic microcosm of the universe. In this case, I'd be installing the deities in a series of seven small temples, somewhere on the playa TBD.

2. I've been thinking to try to initiate Mourning Rites for the Man on Saturday morning, after the burn. In this, we'd look at the Man as a representative of the ancient tradition of Dying-and-Rising Gods like Adonis and Dumuzi, who both had annual mourning rites as a part of their cult festivals. The mourning was traditionally performed by women, but in our case I'm sure we could include men dressed as women. It would be a sort of Mystery Play at the site of the Man's smoldering ashes, where the participants would weep and beat at themselves and generally make a display of grief over the Man's death and descent to the underworld.

3. The meaning of all this (the seven temples, the death and eventual resurrection of the Man, etc.) could be explained in some detail as an element of a sort of Mystery School Initiation. The purpose of the initiation would be to transfer a replica of BRC into the mind of the initiate, so that the energy of the playa is symbolically transferred into them and they BECOME the city, and become ministers of it to the illusory world outside BRC. I'm thinking this would have to be done Saturday afternoon.

I think it has a lot of potential and am looking forward to getting started!!!
yonderboy777

Postby Sham » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 pm

Have you attended BM before or will 2010 be the first time?

Just wondering!
Sham

Postby yonderboy777 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Yes this will be burn #3
yonderboy777

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:18 pm

ARe we going to sacrifice a child and bury him below the trash fence?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Was interesting until it turned into commerce.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby yonderboy777 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:36 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Was interesting until it turned into commerce.

You know what's interesting -- my new book from Adventures Unlimited Press, which could be YOURS for just $18.95 plus shipping and handling!

I didn't seriously think Crypto was going to buy my book, anymore than I think he seriously thought I was going to sacrifice children. I mean really, worshiping Moloch is sooooo Bohemian Grove. What do u think I am, a banker???

But seriously, I do think they're good ideas. The Mourning Rites more than anything hinge on the participation and enthusiasm of others, and to be perfectly honest that's the part that I'm least enthusiastic about myself. I'm definitely going to move forward with the seven temples, and already started seeking a venue for the Initiation. So now that I'm talking through my feelings about it, it seems like I should drop the Mourning Rites idea and run with the rest. I had thought that the Foundation Rite would be more of a personal thing I'd do on Sunday evening, but now that I'm looking at the rules I'm not sure I'd be able to get Early Arrival clearance. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to do that Monday afternoon and let more people be a part of it, if they want to be.

(I have to keep editing these posts to get the quotes and links to work).
yonderboy777

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Eplaya is a no commerce zone.

I like your enthusiasm, and your ideas, but you have to stop plugging your book here, or you gonna get yanked.

Read some more rules before replying again.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

go tell aleister...

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:54 pm

it's a cult. we got ritual already in spades. dogma, principles, funny hats the whole nine. why fuck it up with some bullshit pseudo-mytho-quasi spirituality you can't find the heart to GIFT to us. Drink some Kool-aid , bitch, and do your schtick on your nickel if you're so inclined, the only commerce allowed on here is for drugs or sex or sexy drugs or druggy sexists or something like that. how do they say "duh", in Latin?
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gaminwench » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Crypto's a she...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:04 pm

gaminwench wrote:Crypto's a she...

Ah crap! You let the cat out of the bag! And I so want to be a woman of mystery...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gaminwench » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:09 pm

oops! You're still VERY mysterious, though...and funny, smart, sly, inspirational, snarky...and on & on...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Playa Tom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:35 pm

$18.95 for some babbling about a psuedoreligeon? For a dollar more I can buy Sarah Palin's babbling.
Playa Tom

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Everyone's got a pseudo-religion these days.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Oso » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEIeRSLb8k[/youtube]
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.
Oso

Postby Oreally? » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Good luck with that gathering. You might want to check your schedule. The Man burns on Saturday.

PS After your gathering, I hear Paul Okenfold is playing at the perimeter fence.
My other vehicle is a mutant.
Oreally?

Postby Finnegan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:03 pm

PS After your gathering, I hear Paul Okenfold is playing at the perimeter fence.

Awesome! Just like last year! I recommend getting there early for a good seat, though.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Return to 2010 Theme