THEME CAMP BAR"S DRUGING BUNERS WITH G.B.H.

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:28 pm

A friend and I were at that Bar Temple Burn Night - Late - I don't know how late it was... I kinda remember The Bartender that served us was very normal looking and quite straight- (meaning not fucked up- not sexual perf.) don't remember an accent - He was kinda short with shaggy short light hair & eyes... served my friend a beer out of a tap.

I'm sorry to read that people are drugging our citzens! I was drugged once in Las Vegas. The Only thing that saved my ass was that I'm a professional drinker/Partier :lol: Came out of a Rod Stewart concert at the Hard Rock headed toward the bar- where a group of young guys were hanging out. One of them asked me If I wanted a drink- Sure Of course! My drink came back thur the group. I drank it and started to spin - the guys offered me a seat at the bar- where I threw up all over. 2 guys one on each side of me ushered me out of the Hard Rock where I continued to throw up every where (I think thats what really saved me
:wink:) The guys put me in a cab - now there are 3 of them one in the front and one on each side of me in the back. I'm in and out of awareness... We get to another hotel and the cold air hits me when they are trying to get me out of the Cab. (the cab driver speaks little english) I say I'm Not going with you guys and tell the cab driver I'm going home. The Guys are trying to physically get me out of the cab and I'm screaming at this point that I don't know them and I'm Not going with them. They are telling the cab driver that I'm going to throw up everywhere, and that I do Know them I'm just to fucked Up... I reach into my purse and find a 50 dollar bill and tell the cab driver my address - When he gets me home I take back ALL of my change and don't give him one cent tip and bitch him out. I crawled up the stairs and pounded on my door and my roommate found me passed out cold on the porch- she had to drag me into the house. The next day into the night I threw up- all I can say is that it's very lucky I did puke when it first hit me.
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:36 pm

On tuesday night as I was headed to the bathroom a really fucked up girl was stumbling by and two guys were following her - sooooo I trailed all of them for a while when the guys realized I was watching them watch her -they went the other way. Just after that -the drunk girls friends found her.
Pay Attention to whats going on around you!
Barbie

Postby pinemom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:08 am

WOAH, thank you Barbie on behalf of that girl and her buds. YOU ROCK!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Artemis » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 am

Who would have thought we'd be happy for puke, Barbie? I'm happy you puked so soon too!

Your story about the lost girl Tuesday reminds me that I had a similar encounter. I think it was Tuesday night but may have been Monday, a drunk girl was walking around weaving back and forth. I rode by her on bike and she asked me where we were. I told her and then circled back, asked her where she was headed. She had lost her friends 5 hours before hand, had arrived in BRC earlier that day and knew only that she was camped between 8 and 8:30, but no idea of which street! I luckily had spent the first day riding around the city, familiarizing myself with landmarks so described a bunch until we found her camp.

In addition to being vigilant about watching what's in your sippy cup, it's also important to make sure that you write your camp address indelibly on something that you carry with you and that you know the landmarks nearby (or write them down ahead of time too).
Artemis

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:19 am

address tattoos.......a new gift idea........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 am

I attempted rap, once.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Why is it everybody else seems to get drugged but me?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby EB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Redundancy?
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Why is it everybody else seems to get drugged but me?

"there are those, who, are aberrant enough, that when drugged, no change is apparent"........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby SageV » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:51 pm

I don't know why it happens more to some people than others. There was a while there in the late 90's early 2000's where some dealers were dosing people with new designer drugs, telling people it was something else, just to see what happened. Another reason dealers are my least favorite people at the Burn.

Dosing is super easy to avoid, sippy cups, not drinking anything offered that isn't sealed, avoiding getting sprayed. never taking anything ingestible or smokable by someone you don't know, and eating baked goods almost goes without saying. Usually, a simple skeptical scowl if someone offers you a brownie will elicit an immediate "I know what you're thinking, its JUST a brownie."

The bar thing discussed in the original post, I don't know, the story is so crazy convuluted I can't tell what happened. I've a mind to ignore it as an abberration. I mean, if you have a bar camp, you can't be there 24/7. If someone steps behind your bar, making like they belong there, then its not the camp's fault, its the fault of the perpetrator deceiving the victim. Every bar camp I've been part of has warned us to be diligent for precisely that happening, not only to keep people misrepresenting the bar but to avoid people stealing (not gifting) alchohol.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
SageV

Burning Since: 1999

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Ranger Sasquatch wrote:"i did not want the rangers blathering on there radio's ."
Wow, just wow. Way to deprive your friend of justice. Good job [not].
Seven years on the playa and that's your impression of the job we do?
We don't discuss, much less "blather" specifics of our calls on the radio. Plus, we can actually spell and properly use their, there, and they're : ).
Sounds like a cop out to me.

Sas

Powerchair - your still using some fuzzy logic here. The BRC Rangers are real people from the default world. I know of FBI agents, Deputy Sherrifs, City Police Officers, Probation officers, and other LE's that are part of the BRC ranger corps.

Your right - the radios we use are not secure, but we are not "Blathering" addresses, names or specifics - that is saved for a face to face.

Also - I looked at the schedule of the ESD stations (med tents) you called them. Neither station has any less than 9 persone every night during the week, and more than a dozen available Friday Saturday and Sunday. These "Med volunteers' are full of MD's RN's, EMTs, Paramedics, Counselors, with professional crisis counselors available 24/7 Mental health is represented 24/7 as well.

BM is very well staffed as far as every discipline goes in the volunteer market - both LE and Medical. My beef with your story is this:

Had a friend of mine been slipped a drug. I would immediately summon Law Enforcement. Thats the victims right and certainly makes an investigation easier. For you to say they take 2 days to show is false. When LE is summoned they appear in MINUTES. the more serious the charge, the quicker they come. You say that LE would have messed it up - well they dont have a chance at all if you dont call them at all.

I also know Sasquatch - he has helped us with a few bad trips and I can say with first hand knowledge that he knows whats going on. In fact I know many medics that will seek him out for his assistance when we are done with our part.

POWERCHAIR wrote:Yes this year was the worst one EVER that i know of for burners being drugged by others,

What are you basing this on? I thought I saw lower numbers in the med stations, but that is just anecdotal and my observation with no real numbers until they are compiled and released. Which has not happened yet. Perhaps your personalizing it and drawing the wrong conclusion.

What happened sucks, and since hindsight is 20/20 its easy to armchair it and say "i would have..." If your looking for closure, or justice now its not going to happen. The asshat is gone, you have no physical evidence, so even if found it would simply be an accusation.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby POWERCHAIR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:07 am

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby POWERCHAIR » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:48 pm

Good luck and for the sake of others out there I hope that he is caught.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby POWERCHAIR » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby curiousgnate » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:31 pm

If you can find him now more power to you. He probably won't be punished other than by the burningman community. Let's keep this guy from coming to the best party on earth ever again! I have much respect for you and all that you do for our community!
curiousgnate

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:46 am

Oi, I thought it was just a bar playing 80's punk
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby POWERCHAIR » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:26 am

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby ZSUZSU » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:52 pm

Thank you for your help
L'espoir fait vivre !
ZSUZSU

Postby soaringgrounded » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:01 pm

[quote="Artemis"] They're out there helping others and doing cool stuff for people, like PowerChair is doing. It's phenomenally inspiring.[/quote]

i was right next to that camp and after the fourth or fith person limped or hobbled away from the camo without a chair to use i wondered why

it is too bad that this lady got dosed but powerchair should not take up space in center camp when he refuses to give out what he brings

the person from our camp was told that 'the chairs are for people who are more severely handicaped'
this was said to a guy who was in a cast and could not use his crutches anymore

so the last three days i took a count since i could see the camp from mine

not one of the chairs got used the whole time

powerchair (wayne) brings a bunch of junk there to play with it and acts like he is doing a greayt thing but if you try to get one of the chairs he finds twenty reasons why he should not loan it out to you

after talking to someone from the camp itself i found out that the whole time they only lent out chairs to 3 people and then only for a couple of hours

do not be fooled powerchair is not doing anything great for burners he is just looking like he does
soaringgrounded

Postby ibdave » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:25 pm

soaringgrounded wrote:
Artemis wrote: They're out there helping others and doing cool stuff for people, like PowerChair is doing. It's phenomenally inspiring.

i was right next to that camp and after the fourth or fith person limped or hobbled away from the camo without a chair to use i wondered why

it is too bad that this lady got dosed but powerchair should not take up space in center camp when he refuses to give out what he brings

the person from our camp was told that 'the chairs are for people who are more severely handicaped'
this was said to a guy who was in a cast and could not use his crutches anymore

so the last three days i took a count since i could see the camp from mine

not one of the chairs got used the whole time

powerchair (wayne) brings a bunch of junk there to play with it and acts like he is doing a greayt thing but if you try to get one of the chairs he finds twenty reasons why he should not loan it out to you

after talking to someone from the camp itself i found out that the whole time they only lent out chairs to 3 people and then only for a couple of hours

do not be fooled powerchair is not doing anything great for burners he is just looking like he does

*pulls out the lawn chair, pepsi chest and the popcorn. Maybe a sleeing bag or two cuz it's slow over here, but I do expect a good show is going to be played out soon...*

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 pm

*Yea, pass the popcorn.....*

Although the poster, with 1 post could be a sock fishing for hippies.....
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:49 pm

hey Larry, Hey Curly.......what, this isn't Pepsi.......*checks IBDaves ice chest*

got room for me?

Pass the popcorn, please......

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:18 am

:shock:
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Grazelda » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:05 pm

"pulls armchair next to dave, dragging 12 pack of beer and 2 pounds of bacon strips"
Grazelda

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:57 pm

C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:44 pm

*crickets chirping*

Isn't it past start time?
OnceTheDustClears

Postby MRGUMBY » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:05 am

"soaringgrounded" :

There were quite a few people helped by the camp. Saying what you did gives the wrong impression.
Several people staffing the camp in question put forth a great effort and throwing a dart like this is insulting to them.
If you have concerns about how the camps assets were put to use, kindly open a thread and voice your concerns in a constructive way.
The discussion about one of the camp members being drugged is not the proper venue.
No matter where you go...there you are.
MRGUMBY

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:01 pm

bump
Barbie

Postby Ranger Mickey » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:54 am

While I'm sure that some number of people get dosed each year, and that it's terrible for some of those dosed, as a guy who spends most hours of the event working with the Green Dot Rangers (psychiatric services) with an ear to medical issues (ex-EMT), LEAL Rangers (Law Enforcement Liaison), and on patrol in the dust, the number of dosings that come to my attention are vanishingly small for a city of 40-50k.

The lore about dosing seems to be 25x what I actually see or hear reliably reported.

That's *not* me saying that you're a liar if you claim to be dosed, or that you're a liar if you suggest others might have gotten dosed, just that the chatter about dosing seems to have taken a life and lore of it's own that's seemingly unrelated to the actual number of folks doing or being dosed.

As to the discussion of burners being dosed, and Rangers not doing anything, I've been on duty many hours of the years discussed, and never heard a thing like what I've read here. I don't hear everything, but I've worked on similar issues shift after shift, day after day, until our quarry was discovered, so something here doesn't ring true.

Based upon what I've read here I can't make hide nor hair what actually happened, what got reported, to whom it got reported, and the trail gets kinda cold days and weeks and months after the on-playa incident...

I'm tenacious in my service to our community, so if anyone has any issues of this scope next year, I grant you permission to have me dragged out of my cot day or night for such an emergency. I can be reached on the radio most of the time, on-duty or off-, and when not the Ranger folks know where I am and can be rousted awake.

As to the person that might have been dosed, I say "that sucks, I'm sorry to hear about it, I hope it doesn't ruin future times in our fair city."
Rangering since 1996...

[Rangers] do their best to stay unobtrusive. They are always there when needed but remarkably hard to find if you just want to point at one. -- Jay Schneider
Ranger Mickey

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Theme Camps