2010 Newbie from Oregon, question pls

2010 Newbie from Oregon, question pls

Postby winebuff » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:52 pm

I am female, 51, married, live inPortland, Oregon. I am a wine rep during the day and photographer on the side. I want to go to BM in 2010. Unfortunately my husband or friends dont feel the same way. Can you recomend how to hook up with people of similiar age in PDX or in general to join a theme camp? I really appreciate it. Want to go so bad, not into drugs, just want to groove on the art and wonderful people. Thx! :wink:
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Isotopia » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 pm

Maybe start with telling your husband and your friends that they should make their own personal decisions and that you choose to make your own.

Then maybe look up some of the regional lists both on this board and others - Tribe for instance - and follow the rabbit hole.
Isotopia

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:59 pm

I burn out of Salem.. Have a bunch of year around fun with PDX Cacophony people.. See ypu on the playa..
unjonharley

Postby Ruleryak » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:35 am

I met dozens of people from Portland this year for some reason. You should DEFINITELY be able to find a local group if you're willing to work with them. By that I mean your best best would be to find a somewhat larger group (with a bus or other transportation) and offer your services as part of their camp. You may need to pay dues (some camps but not all do this) and should want to help with whatever projects they have going on. Just don't expect to find someone that will take you there if you aren't willing to work.

Good luck!
Ruleryak

Postby Elorrum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:42 pm

I think you are in the average age range believe it or not. I waited for friends to join me before I finally went on my own. Then each year, there are Nov. - January - June friends who definitely want to join me, and then I go on my own. Trying to get involved locally is a great idea. This year was my first year to make connections off playa in my own area before the burn. I answered a post for an art car needing help. Decompression activities are starting up in regional events.
Elorrum

Postby winebuff » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:02 am

Thx for the info. I am DEFINITELY willing to help and have my own transportation. I am ready to volunteer and have filled out the volunteer form for whatever I need to do. Would love to meet some people from the PDX area beforehand so I feel a bit more comfortable since I am going by myself. I am not expecting anyone to carry me through the experience, just guide me a bit on where I need to get started. I really want to experience it with the people and help as much as possible. Thx everyone. Does anyone know people from Pdx area? If so, can you pass them my email pls at julieflavin@earthlink.net
Fine wine rep during the day, photographer on the side, married, not into drugs or heavy drinking. Just want to have fun and hook up with nice people who I can help out with. Thx!
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby ozwald8804 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi Winebuff.
Last year a woman from Portland set up camp right beside us. She came on her own, leaving hubby to care for her 4 kids. We kind of adopted her when she looked to be overdoing things as she set up her camp. We made her stop, drink some water, and mellow out.

We are not sure if she is coming back this year, but I will pass your email on to her.

StrangeQuark (camped at Hushville)
ozwald8804

Postby CLARKcon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:38 am

Hi winebuff :D ! I'm on the Eastern corner of the state (La Grande). For sure, if you really want to go, then go :) Your husband (if chooses not to go), can make other plans to spend a week in "fill in the blank"--comprimise?. Guareented there is no vacation like the one in Nevada, though :wink:
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Return to 2009 Theme Camps