EARLY ARRIVALS

EARLY ARRIVALS

Postby loside53 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:23 pm

HEY, HAS ANYONE HEARD ANY NEWS REGARDING EARLY ARRIVALS THIS YEAR. I WONDER IF IT WILL BE THE SAME PROCESS AND WHEN THEY WERE SENT OUT LAST YEAR.

FALLOUT SHELTER
loside53

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 pm

*hands over ears*
Please don't shout.

From what I've heard, it's pretty much the same, placed camps and artists will get some number of early entry passes. They may have started with the artists already, I'm not certain.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm

I am still awaiting the Berlin Placement announce info letter from our Placer. Early Arrival passes usually happen well after that.
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby sbjody » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Request deadline has past, the final will be done on the 17th. Theme camps get 7, unless you where able to request more early on. My camp may not even be able to get enough members in to get setup by Monday. :(
sbjody

Postby Elderberry » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Just got our early arrival passes today.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby kiuney » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:06 am

We got our early passes as well... a whopping THREE instead of the 15 we asked for. I truly do not know how three people are supposed to set up an entire theme camp before the event opens. Three of us do not alone carry all of our infrastructure.
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."
kiuney

Postby loside53 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:49 am

[quote="sbjody"]Request deadline has past, the final will be done on the 17th. Theme camps get 7, unless you where able to request more early on. My camp may not even be able to get enough members in to get setup by Monday. :([/quote]

Where did you get the info that theme camps get 7?? I asked for 7 and got 1. I can't even unload...
loside53

Postby pinemom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:45 am

Oh boy Oh BOY!

All I have to say regarding this BS...is you have at least 250 people...willing to pour their $ into a gift comunity, work their asses off to build this city...and now...their going to mess with our already stressed out to the max finacially and mentally bodies...of sorry you can only have 1/10th of what it takes to build your hard earned dollars worth of art?

YO...Larry...Wake up smell the coffee and the BACON!

Do you have any idea what kind of party we can throw in D LOT!!!!????!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Astrolabe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:29 am

It is frustrating to have a theme camp and an art car (one that looks like art, not like a paper shopping bag with holes cut out) and to be given two early entry passes. What are the two people going to do. We CAN'T unload the car with only two people. We can't set up camp without the other two trailers. Basically, we will have two people who can't do shit sitting and waiting for other people to show up so maybe we can get set up before the end of the event. That we helped make happen. WTF?
Astrolabe

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 am

Join the party with PineMom in D lot....don't get unloaded...do the opposite
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:34 am

Just asking here. Could you help someone else unload something too big for their numbers in exchange for their helping you with the MV? The LLC act like asses pretty damn often, as far as I can tell. I'm all in favor of not letting them create our realities. YMMV. And maybe you need the venting for a couple of days, in which case this post is premature.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby postcardbox » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:39 am

EspressoDude wrote:don't get unloaded...do the opposite

:mrgreen:
postcardbox

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:42 am

it is amazing how a "bureaucracy" can get so out of touch........

quite often, this stuff happens due to a "bureaucrat", who has no idea of the reality (maybe never burned, or, not participated enough to know what it takes) making some sort of Napoleonic decision, deciding who needs what, and, when.........in an arbitrary fashion........

and perhaps having some sort of "power issue", where "they" decide what you get, not, what you need.......

I'm not saying that is what has happened, but, I think it possible.

I can't imagine it as simple as "we didn't realize what we were doing".........
or, "it's not our fault, the computer messed up"...........

but, that's just the cynical side of me talking..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby pinemom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 am

Back to the idea of the PARTY IN D LOT!!!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!~

Thats as much as Ive got right now....We gots the booze we apparently will have peeps...lets party!
pinemom

Postby oggie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:02 am

Received 4 passes overnight vs. 12 last year, but heard back from the placement team that not all the passes have made it out yet. The servers are chugging through them. Hold on in there...
oggie

Postby Elderberry » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:04 am

All of the above is one of the main reasons we actually disbanded our entire village this year. Our camp alone was over 200 people; and there were 5 or 6 other camps in our village equally as large.

We never got enough passes for our village on the first round, had to re-request and tell them why we needed them, and still, though we did get more, don't think we ever got all that we needed.

Plus, because of the size of the village, we were always place pretty far back.

This year, each of the camps requested they be placed next to another one of our camps and we lucked out--we are still all together and we are way up front on B and 7:30, the best placement we ever got.

Another benefit is that any problems any camp had with passes, placement, etc. were now handled directly with BMO and eleviated a lot of stress for the people that used to run the village.

Nothing is perfect and it has always worked out, and I'm sure it will work out again for everyone this year too.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

passes coming out one at a time

Postby hoco@timefold.com » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 am

I have it on good authority that passes are coming out in a trickle. Just because you have only received one or two so far doesn't mean you won't get what you asked for. Yes, there are some limits, but if you aren't going to get what you asked for you will probably be directly informed. I know of one other camp that was informed they would not get all the passes they asked for. I can't make any guarantees, obviously -- I don't speak for BMORG. I just know that they won't come out as a single batch -- they will come out one or two at a time.
hoco@timefold.com

Postby pinemom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:11 am

Ya, its early...in the day of "push start to activate":

I will give the Barcode peeps alot of sympathy...can you imagine what its like to send out pdf's...first..they take forever to load...second its one at a time...ouch.

So still trying to maintain...its hard...yeah J/K, being a village is that you have 7 theme camps worrying that we will get what we requested, then if we dont wondering how is fair is fair to divy up what we do get.
Unneeded stress... They really should say on the first one out how many they will be sending...then everyone would probably just shut the fuck up on whining and worrying....

Just an Idea?
pinemom

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 am

I had one pass last night when I went to bed and 3 more came in at different intervals overnight... Here's hoping they keep coming in! lol!!
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby AKAparttime » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:06 am

Think about this a little bit, 9000 people requested early arrivial pass's so if you get one be thankful you got one at all. Just say'in.
AKAparttime

Postby The Chinese » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:06 am

shit, that's more than we got so far...only 2. We can't even unload our truck with that. Hopefully we'll see more as the day progresses.
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:13 am

AKAparttime wrote:Think about this a little bit, 9000 people requested early arrivial pass's so if you get one be thankful you got one at all. Just say'in.

That's more than the total population in '96.

Maybe I'll just stay the weekend. :)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Boijoy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 am

I understand they are coming at a "trickle" also. I'm the last on the list for our camp. If I get in early, I will ride around and offer a helping hand to camps in need. If not,, see ya at the party in D lot Pinemom !! whoot !!! I'll bring cookies. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby The Chinese » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:24 am

AKAparttime wrote:Think about this a little bit, 9000 people requested early arrivial pass's so if you get one be thankful you got one at all. Just say'in.

Burning Man is nothing without it's lifeblood - Theme camps. Thousands of people willing to spend large amounts of money, and putting in Huge amounts of Man-hours for simply the sake of doing it. There is no reward except for the experience of creating something at BM. But it's also about the requirements of being a theme camp - we are supposed to be ready early in the week, of not by opening. We genuinely need to get in early to fulfill our obligation and to deliver what we said we would deliver on when we applied to the BMORG. With severely restricted Early Entry, we are unable to do so. It's unfortunate, and hopefully this is all hoopla over nothing. We'll see. I'll grant that there are some who just get in early for the heck of it- and those passes should be reduced/eliminated. But the vast majority just want to get in to create, and should be let in to do their thing.

Chinito
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 pm

Let the ol' Doc try and be the voice of reason. Last year our village requested 60 passes. We received them, but since they were in one huge file, it crashed our system and it took three days of acting like Sherlock Holmes to finally find the file in Land O' Spam. So what the BMOrg has done, correctly I might add, is send them out one at a time so the system is not overloaded. At first this morning I thought we only got 11 of the 60 we again requested. Then, after a polite email, I got the response that all 60 will come, but look for them over the next 24 hours or so. So please people, cool your jets. These people work very hard and should be praised, not criticized. Now come Tuesday and they aren't there yet, and you've checked your spam filters, then freak out. But for now, just 4:20 it and chill.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:52 pm

Is it possible to get some, from people that end up not needing them?
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 pm

You give me ten grand and I won't need mine.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:You give me ten grand and I won't need mine.

If I had ten grand I wouldn't need yours.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby leftbraindp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:53 pm

When I got 2 passes, instead of what I requested, I emailed placement and got a reply telling me I got almost all of the early passes I requested, but they were slowly going through the server. I think they are doing there best...

Is it just me or does everything seem very up in the air till the last minute this year? Besides not knowing about our camp and early arrival, we've got people vaccilating back and forth about going, camping with us, etc... it's very frustrating as the person who seems to be the only one (in our camp) actually being responsible...

... or maybe it's just me this year...

:)
-------

Gets bored easily...
leftbraindp

Postby Astrolabe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Yeah, I have learned that I should wait a few days before bitching. We keep having passes trickle in. We need more but it is getting there.
Astrolabe

Next

Return to 2009 Theme Camps