2009 Burn "Looking for a Camp/Campers" Personal ad

Postby BlackRockCowboy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:51 am

Place your ads here for the 2009 burn. This way we have one stop "shopping." I have found from talking to other virgins that we are all having problems(okay, maybe we are all to impatient) finding a camp.
BlackRockCowboy

DWM Virgin Burner Looking for a Gay Friendly camp

Postby BlackRockCowboy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:06 am

I am in Wichita, Kansas. DWM, 39, Clean cut professional looking to escape for a week in the Nevada desert. Will be driving to BRC, planning to arrive Reno on Sunday. Will be leaving after I awake the afternoon after the Man burns.

I plan on bringing all my needs and some to share. Bringing eccentric Costumes, small art project titled "Death to the Ex!," Positive attitude, Party Attitude, believe in Fun not Stupidity. May wind up naked by the end of the week after I feel more comfortable. I want to tour the Art Projects and the Playa, but am willing to work the camp as well.

I am not gay, not straight....just easy....in other words Bi-sexual. I am not planning on whoring around, just having fun. Sex is not my main reason for going. Very creative, but not mechanically inclined. Willing to help out in any manner at the camp that accepts me. Can bring supplies if needed also.

Love to dance, cook, art, antiques, running, all things Burning Man. I am a giver by nature and very social(I am a never met a stranger type of person.) Would love to bartend or be involved in a camp that will be hosting parties or functions, etc.

Would be willing to give a ride to a fellow burner, if they were prepared and organized.

PM if you think I will be a fit for you.

Cowboy
BlackRockCowboy

Postby BlackRockCowboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:09 am

It's official!!!! I just bought my ticket, I am on my way! This seriously has been a 5 year journey and it is actually going to happen this Labor Day.

I have goosebumps and chills. I can only imagine when my ticket actually arrives in the mail!!!!!

Breathe In....Breathe Out....Breathe In.....Breathe Out......

Cowboy
First timer looking for a camp to contribute to, PM if interested. Open-Minded
BlackRockCowboy

Postby Da Mule » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:46 am

YAY! Glad to hear that you got your ticket, BRCowboy.

You don't need to be part of a camp your first year, and it may in fact make it easier not to be part of a camp. There's so much to do and so much to prepare. If you try to be part of a camp the first year, you may underestimate how much radical self-reliance is necessary. I would recommend trying stag camp if you really feel like you want to be around others or just doing your own thing the first year and then once you've gotten a sense of what's its like, maybe look for a camp for next year.

Just a thought....
Da Mule

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:56 am

also note, you can show up without a camp, and, hang around with most any set of people, maybe get invited to join up with them after you've met......
just find a spot, stake your claim, set up your stuff and have fun.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 am

Theme camps will be listed officially in June, but it's not too early to sign up for Barbarian Camp and a chance to help out with the Barbarian Challenge Obstacle Course.
Martial artists, fitness gurus, timber-framers, medievalists, and wacky musicians are all encouraged to apply.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ConqueringId » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:43 pm

I am a 22 year old Seattlite. I play snare in the renegade drumline Titanium Sporkestra. It's my first year at Burning Man, but I know that my soul has created such a holy space for many years. I know it's my true home. It's important to me that I really get the heart of the experience, and I'm not afraid to try new things, get dirty and make something beautiful. As for my likes, I'm a drummer as I've mentioned and have a degree in literature. I am a nerd when it comes to good beer, books, music and fantasy.

I am also bringing my 26 year old archaeologist boyfriend who is as eclectic as I am, and used to the dirt.

Any thoughts?
ConqueringId

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Thoughts? Beware of your expectations of the event, it is, after all, simply a very strange and dusty camping trip. Do expect to have a melt down at one point or another, if you must have expectations. Then you can drink some water, rest and move on.

But Welcome Home, nonetheless.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Isotopia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Any thoughts?

Pack for a week long camping trip in the desert.

Expectations of epiphany/bliss/'home' or whatever can easily dash your expectations on the rocks - especially when you try too hard to make it something that it might not be for you.
Isotopia

Postby ConqueringId » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, what I was trying to say was that I'm not afraid of the harder parts of the experience. I really don't need more warnings about it, I feel like I've gotten a good idea of it because of several friends who have been going straight for 15 years or so. I think what I will do is do a stag camp and then meet people and see where I'd like to fit in.
ConqueringId

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:12 pm

And what I was trying to say is that the harder parts of the experience may not be what you anticipate in the slightest, and the best parts cannot be planned and chased and corraled and captured. You'll see.
AntiM

Postby ConqueringId » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:21 pm

I understood all of that in the beginning.
ConqueringId

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Uh-huh. They all say that. Understanding the playa is an illusion. Seriously, i don't care how many people you know who've been to the playa, setting your own boots in the dust makes it all different.

I went without knowing a single soul and having heard next to nothing about the event. Therefore, I like the blank slate approach, rather than a plan for changing life. I worry when I hear phrases such as "holy place" and "one true home" and "get to the heart of the experience" before being there. Nice if it is true, but that's a lot of baggage to take to the desert. Water and sunscreen are lighter burdens and let the rest come organically.

I have a titanium spork on a leash.

Stag is a good idea, you certainly will find a place to fit in! Just trust the jaded old timers, m'kay? I wouldn't eat, sleep and breathe Burning Man daily for eight years for nothing.
AntiM

Postby Token » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:18 pm

AntiM wrote:... I wouldn't eat, sleep and breathe Burning Man daily for eight years for nothing.

So watch ya sayin' is you chasing the "High" of the first year and coming up short?

She said "organically"

*giggle*
Token

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 am

Making this thread sticky to keep it on the top.

It was a discussion thread initially, but try to keep the chatter down. (says the guilty party)
AntiM

Postby postcardbox » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:34 am

!I'm still looking for a camp. I've been looking into a couple, and want to see what else is out there (and still tossing the idea of not joining a camp).

This will be my second year ^_^
postcardbox

Postby Finnegan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Don't listen to AntiM. She is just trying to keep all the magic for herself. Expectations are paramount! Without them, you will be as lambs in the wilderness. (free)
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Planet Arrakis

Postby Bishop6 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:24 am

My theme camp, Arrakis, is looking for burners to join and contribute in their own way. We welcome input, collaboration, and artistic expression. Or you can just camp with us and enjoy the party.

We're spending every week between now and BM '09 preparing aspects of our camp, and anyone interested in camping with us is welcome to jump in on projects underway or create their own. From the camp artwork and decorations, to the costumes, to the sound system, or the misting system. Even shade structure construction. Whatever you're into.

A large number of Planet Arrakis inhabitants will be road tripping from Florida to BRC 4-5 days before BM '09. If you'd like to caravan along, or carpool, send me a message.

I'll post a link to our theme camp page with more information when it's available.
Bishop6

FIRST TIME BURNING MAN!!!!!!

Postby TravTrav » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Hello to all!

This is my first post here and first time to attend Burning Man! The feelings that overwhelmed me as I was first introduced to Burning Man made me absolutely sure that this is where I need to be at this moment in my life.

I know I want to be there regardless if I have to make to journey alone, knowing I will find great relationships out there.
But going to BM for the first time, should I try to find a group? or what is the best way going about everything?
Im totally down to hit the ol dusty trail by myself, but I want to make sure I dont miss out on anything! How can I get in contact with people that are going? I am so open in every way and the smile on my face is only a sliver of the excitement I feel :lol:

I guess I just want to start to talk to people about it!
Thanks!!
Love and Light
Live in Love
TravTrav

FIRST TIME BURNING MAN!!!!!!

Postby TravTrav » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Hello to all!

This is my first post here and first time to attend Burning Man! The feelings that overwhelmed me as I was first introduced to Burning Man made me absolutely sure that this is where I need to be at this moment in my life.

I know I want to be there regardless if I have to make to journey alone, knowing I will find great relationships out there.
But going to BM for the first time, should I try to find a group? or what is the best way going about everything?
Im totally down to hit the ol dusty trail by myself, but I want to make sure I dont miss out on anything! How can I get in contact with people that are going? I am so open in every way and the smile on my face is only a sliver of the excitement I feel :lol:

I want to get lost in something bigger than me, and experience the energy it gives off....

I guess I just want to start to talk to people about it!
Thanks!!
Love and Light
Live in Love
TravTrav

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:53 pm

Wow, first post is doubled. I see great things in your future...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Shouldn't JK have to welcome this one twice ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Yeah, probably. But who knows if he's got the stamina to do it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Wow, first post is doubled. I see great things in your future...

his name IS TravTrav

maybe he has some issues issues.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Or perhaps it's TardTard.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Finnegan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:20 am

This is my first post

No, it's not. Welcome to the meat grinder! Welcome to the meat grinder!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby TravTrav » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:55 am

Sorry it was a double post.... Didnt mean to make a huge commotion out of it.

:shock:

No worries, great things are definitely in my future 8)
Love and Light
Live in Love
TravTrav

Postby Finnegan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 am

noone expects the Spanish Inquisition. Spanish Inquisition.
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby ygmir » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:50 am

squeal pig, squeal pig...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

More first timers

Postby InnocentWhenYouDream » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:07 am

Reading this thread has put my mind at ease actually.

We are 4 coming from UK 1 from Canada, and we were kind of freaking out about not having anywhere to camp. But what I now understand (correct me if I'm wrong) is that as long as we are prepared to be alone we will probably get on fine and may well end up camping with some others anyway.

So we will come prepared to survive ourselves and take it from there. In other words I can no longer worry about trying to sort out a camp from the other side of the Atlantic.

Now I'm even MORE excited. If possible
At the age of 37 she realised she'd found forever, as she roared along through Paris with the warm wind in her hair.
InnocentWhenYouDream

Next

Return to 2009 Theme Camps