VEGAN FOOD

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I can eat soy, but am supposed to avoid it as I've had ER+ breast cancer.

I am actually an omnivore/flexivore... so I do eat animals sometimes. I do have sensitivities to nightshades which make my arthritis act up badly, plus I can't have sodium benzoate... it occurs naturally in many fruits and some vegetables. Add in that I'm a picky eater, well, oatmeal and raisins are my friends.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby edeveber » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:14 am

I'm vegan, and I plan to make the same kind of food I always do when I am camping.

Do you eat indian food a lot? They've got lots of vegan dishes (or dishes which can easily be adapted) with nonperishable ingredients that can be made in only one pot. (Dal especially) Perfect camping cuisine!

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/about-manjula/

these recipes are all vegetarian and with videos, it's pretty easy to make most of them vegan.

I'm not a huge fan of the fake meat although adding TVP to some chilli is always good, and usually well-received by meat eaters, too.

Try out some dishes at home. Aim for stuff that is simple to prepare, and non-perishable ingredients are always easier. (Your tomato cannot get dusty if it is diced and canned).

Cheers.
edeveber

vegan vengance!

Postby ultra violet » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:19 pm

I will be attending for the first time this year and while I consider myself a resourceful and dedicated vegan, I do like free food. However, I imagine I won't be so hungry when it's so hot anyways so I'm not worried about cravings unless they're for water.

I can give advice on food to bring (from my camping experience) and plan to hit the salvage store tommorrow for canned artichokes, tomatoes, soup, dressing (to marinate tofu), almond milk, beans etc... Even how you prepare food can make a big difference in how long it lasts if you use natural preservatives like citrus and spice and salt.

So, yes, I can feed myself. However, I love to cook and if I come across fellow vegans making food I am prone to offer help. Should I plan on bringing supplies for others? Or would my expertise be enough if I can prove it? I've got a small budget so making sure I've got my shit together is all I'm worried about right now, but if services are needed, I'll provide those no problem.
ultra violet

Postby Badger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:27 pm

One should never presume to feed oneself off the kindness of strangers.

It is *so* declass.

Bring what you can to get by in the desert for a week. If one is incapable of doing that one shouldn't attend.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby ultra violet » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:53 am

hmm.

if this was in response to my offer above, i'll trust you re-read. i mentioned "free food" in response to earlier posts above a burner being offered non-vegan food and turning it down. if it's to the first post on this thread (from a long time ago) then, yeah, heard loud and clear.
ultra violet

Postby dangerpuss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:54 am

There will be a couple of vegan opportunities through our camp this year (2010). One is the chance for vegan cooks to act as guest chef for an evening during one of our supper clubs. You'll get to prepare a meal for an eager group of lucky individuals who have managed to land one of our coveted invitations to dine. Another is to "sing for your supper," and become one of those invitees. If you've got a talent for cooking amazing vegan food and want to be a guest chef, or a talent as an entertainer and want to take part in our supper club as a participant/invitee, let's talk
dangerpuss

Burning Since: 2008

Previous

Return to 2009 Theme Camps