is it easy to join a camp?

is it easy to join a camp?

Postby fakereality » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

pretty new to this.,.,.... ?
fakereality

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Define "easy."

Define "camp."

Some camps coalese amoung a group of people in the outside world who live near each other (usually) and already know each other and who decide to camp with each other.
Others congeal on-line around a common interest or idea.

You don't have to join a camp, you can camp alone.

Look up Stag Camp in the 2008 and 2009 Theme camp forums. That's a pretty easy camp to join, and reading the threads might give you a better idea of what the process can be.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Ya, what she said.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:35 pm

You can camp with me this year, I am doing walk-in camp. You can actually get some sleep there.
Chief

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Yeah - what she said.

Camps vary from 10 people coming in a few vans - to camps bringing tractor trailers worth of gear, and spending hundreds of thousands on consumeables and logistics.

keep up the search and dont forget to drop a note to let us all know how the search went.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 pm

You can join my camp provided you volunteer for a day on the meathook.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Dr Dilemma » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 pm

One thing I would suggest, from my own experience, its not a good idea to try to camp with people that you only know from eplaya, craigslist, etc. Better to find some people you actually know who are going and band together to share resources. A small group may not seem as exciting, but its better than getting stuck with a crazy psycho person, or worse, a whole group of crazy psycho people. Camp a bit further out from the theme camps and go exploring. You'll probably find a camp that you like well enough to group up with next year. Most theme camps will involve a lot of work and honestly your first year you'll probably want to time soaking it all in and whatnot anyway. Also, I think it is fair to say by and large camps that are worth joining wouldn't be accepting random people off of eplaya anyway.

We 'like to think' of Burning Man and burners in a happy fluffy bunny PLUR sorta way, but as you can see just from browsing through these forums and the amount of 'snark' (read - people being evil to each other for no reason than they think its fun) you can find that while there are a ton of really great people you'll find, you'll also find plenty that you definitely wouldn't want to be stuck with for an entire week, if ever.

If you are determined that you absolutely must be in a theme camp, probably best to find a group from your area and hang out with them beforehand. Again, if it's a camp really worth joining they would probably want to meet you in person first anyways.

Just my tuppensworth, mileage may vary.
Dr Dilemma

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby fakereality » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:53 pm

::cries::

im going by myself!

I would so volunteer and help out 8)

whats a meat hook
fakereality

Postby Zulegoona » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:52 pm

I’ve been involved with a couple of different camps made up of people I met on e-playa and for the most part it’s been a wonderful experience. It hasn’t been totally drama free but that could be said for camps of people who’ve known each other for years. I’ve really enjoyed meeting the people I’d only known from on line and can’t really imagine why anyone would want to camp with people they already know well when there are so many new and interesting people to get to know better, and I’m an introvert normally.

With communities of interest you at least know you’ve got that interest in common, and that tends to be more than just living in the same geographic location.

And I think it’s a good thing to be able to spend time with people you might not normally have an opportunity to meet and get to know because they are so different from you.
Zulegoona

Postby Apok » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:16 pm

fakereality wrote:::cries::

Oh don't cry little fakereality, tears don't become you.

Zulegoona makes a lot of sense. Check out the threads and see what interests you and start that way.

I had a friend that went last year and stayed with the Hookha Dome. He was just going to hook up with anyone but searched around and because he did, he had the BEST TIME EVER! Yea Best Time Ever!

In other words "don't give it away so easily" you wil have a better time.
Apok

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:31 pm

I had only met one person in Stag Camp face to face before I got on to the playa in 2007. The totally great completely random people that I camped with single handedly turned around my pessimism about the human race. They continue to be a big part of my life and it is my pleasure to camp with all of them year after year. We had a bunch of Canadians in camp last year and had a representative from nearly every continent.

Definitely do research on what camp to join. You have plenty of time and starting now is a good thing. I strongly suggest figuring out a way to be completely Radically Self Reliant. This will allow you to be on your own if for some reason you found it necessary to leave the camp you started out being camped with. This is a rare occurrence but it may happen. Having everything you need will give you the confidence to strike out on your own if need be.
There are allot of great camps on the Playa. Good luck in your search and see ya on the Playa!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 am

Chief wrote:You can actually get some sleep there.

Sounds exciting. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:05 pm

fakereality wrote:whats a meat hook

Its a hook. For hanging meat.
CapSmashy

Postby asterflower » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:23 pm

fakereality since we are both loners this year il be your buddy! :D
asterflower

Postby Sail Man » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:43 pm

CapSmashy wrote:

Or for flossing :D

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Sail Man wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:

Or for flossing :D

right now, hes thinking he shouldve just spent the damn dollar to buy toothpicks :(
klondike_bar

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:30 am

Most theme camps have grueling ordeals for prospective members.
We don't do that fish-hook bit anymore.
Ugly Dougly

Postby General Disorder » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Most theme camps have grueling ordeals for prospective members.
We don't do that fish-hook bit anymore.

at least not in the mouth
lets order up some disorder
General Disorder

Postby Napalm Demon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:08 am

KestrelSF wrote: A small group may not seem as exciting, but its better than getting stuck with a crazy psycho person, or worse, a whole group of crazy psycho people.

Drat I started reading this thread hoping a group of crazy psycho people would be announcing their open ended recruiting offer involving high probability of sever bodily harm and bacon flavored vodka. :(

Why can't I find a group like that? :cry:
Napalm Demon

Postby Dr Dilemma » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:21 am

Napalm Demon wrote:
KestrelSF wrote: A small group may not seem as exciting, but its better than getting stuck with a crazy psycho person, or worse, a whole group of crazy psycho people.

Drat I started reading this thread hoping a group of crazy psycho people would be announcing their open ended recruiting offer involving high probability of sever bodily harm and bacon flavored vodka. :(

You had me at bacon flavored vodka! Seriously, was it me, or could you not walk 5 feet last year without running into bacon! I'll never have to eat bacon again.
Dr Dilemma

Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby Napalm Demon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25 am

KestrelSF wrote:
Napalm Demon wrote:

You had me at bacon flavored vodka! Seriously, was it me, or could you not walk 5 feet last year without running into bacon! I'll never have to eat bacon again.

... I'm making bacon flavored vodka right now... reason I said that. :P But still wondering if any crazy psycho's will be recruiting this year.
Napalm Demon

Postby General Disorder » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:25 am

If you bring the Napalm, we can have a Breakfast BBQ

Willard: Terminate the Colonel?
General Corman: He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops.
Civilian: Terminate with extreme prejudice.
Colonel Lucas: You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
[kneels]
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
[sniffing, pondering]
Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
[suddenly walks off]
lets order up some disorder
General Disorder

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 am

Napalm Demon wrote:

We may be recruiting a few folks in the near future. Our lawyers have drawn up detailed and specific personal injury waivers for camp members and accidental death waivers absolving us from all liability for next of kin to sign.
CapSmashy

Postby Napalm Demon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:48 am

General Disorder wrote:If you bring the Napalm, we can have a Breakfast BBQ

How many gallons do you want, and do you also want a BBQ made out of steel drums painted to look like napalm drums too? :lol:
Napalm Demon

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:38 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
Napalm Demon wrote:

We may be recruiting a few folks in the near future. Our lawyers have drawn up detailed and specific personal injury waivers for camp members and accidental death waivers absolving us from all liability for next of kin to sign.

In fact, we automatically become your heirs. You regret that you have but one life to give to [s]the motherland[/s] your camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jets » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 pm

[quote="fakereality"]::cries::

im going by myself!

I would so volunteer and help out 8)

whats a meat hook[/quote]

stop by stag camp! basically for solo burners who want to find other solo burners.
http://stagcamp.proboards.com/index.cgi?
jets

Postby Henry and June » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:11 pm

We actually met someone on eplaya and camped with their village last year, which was our virgin year. Never met a greater group of people.
Timshel baby!
Henry and June

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:09 am

was her name anaiis?
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Igneouss » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:15 am

It's simple. Just get involved. I'm a virgin and I've already been in touch with 2 different organizations where I might volunteer. They both have camps. Many others do as well.

But by simply getting in touch with people on here and tribe will get you connected. I've made contact with another person and we are planning to caravan out. Recently we expanded to 4 with tickets. And we are planning our own little unofficial theme camp. Further we expect our group to grow more prior to BM.

Nice thing is that we are keeping it simple. If it does not work out for any of us then that person(s) can simply move. No worries.

If the only thing you do is show up and wander around I'd be surprised if you didn't find a group to connect with.

BUT: be prepared to contribute. If you are looking for a group simply so you can take advantage of group resources...for get it. Be prepared to cook, clean, build a shower, supply booze or a shade structure... you get the point.

Cheers

Igneous
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Killbuck » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Wait... we're making bacon... flavored vodka... toooo....

hmmmmm.
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Next

Return to 2009 Theme Camps