Root society? Opulent Temple? Thunder Dome?

Postby poisenloaf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:and we have the biggest, baddest, loudest motherfucking sound system on the playa.

it WILL re-arrange your innards, and remove any gallstones you might have, sonically.

Both Root & Opulent both are both awe-inspiring, but the one that consistently made me giddy was Robot Heart simply because it could move around and stop somewhere..bam! instant party! Seeing them cruise around the deep playa with that uberbright jumbotron and hearing their beats crystal clear from a couple miles off gave me shivers!
poisenloaf

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:57 pm

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]i'm pretty sure opulent temple will be there.
I'm almost certain root society will be there.
i dont think deep end will come back, unless as an evolved, different name.

i hope this clears things up.[/quote]

According to the opulent temple people, they will not be able to come back this year...unless they happen to raise enough money. A LOT depends on the party they are throwing next week, i think march 8th in San Fran.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE PLAYA IF YOU LIVE NEAR S.F. GO TO THEIR PARTY!

You know it will be off the hook too...so do it!
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:51 am

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=46238446892

here is the info on the Op Temp Event Featuring carl Cox.

it's on the 6th-7th, at Treasure island hanger, and it's going to be massive.

for those not on fuckbook, here are the details....

Opulent Massive with Carl Cox
A Truly Playatastic Gathering
Host:
Opulent Temple
Type:
Party - Benefit
Network:
Global
Start Time:
Friday, March 6, 2009 at 9:00pm
End Time:
Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 4:00am
Street:
200 California Ave., Treasure Island
City/Town:
San Francisco, CA
:
View Map
Google
MapQuest
Microsoft
Yahoo
Email:
sydgris@opulenttemple.org
Description
**Friday, March 6th : Opulent Temple Massive w/ Carl Cox**
Treasure Island, San Francisco

Save the Date. Please help us spread the word on FB by inviting your friends !!

The Opulent Temple has rocked you and soothed you for going on 7 years now. Big, beautiful & infectious beats, wicked sound, world class talent and warm faces bathed in fire light. We'd like to be able to do it again, (and so does Carl).

Were you there Friday night when he played this past summer at OT? WOW. One of, if not the greatest night we've ever had the pleasure to host. Legendary. http://mvgals.net/gallery/bman08_ot_fri/IMG_2306

Please join us & Carl Cox for this special event featuring the OT's distinct production closer to home than ever before, in collaboration with the Flaming Lotus Girls, The Deep End, Pete Hudson, Hookahdome, Stop Time 341, UV 99 & variety of artists, performers, Art Cars and spontaneous wonderment.

For example...

A Rare and Special showing of the Serpent Mother, by the Flaming Lotus Girls (http://serpentmother.com/About)

AND

Homourborous in full effect, by Pete Hudson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEW6yosg-0w)

+ much, much more mind blowing art of ALL shades

Like 5 Areas of Music:

**Main Temple**
Carl Cox (carlcox.com, UK)
Mark Lewis (Mixology, L.A.)
Syd Gris (Opulent Temple)
Dutch (Opuelent Temple)
Alain Octavo (alainoctavo.com / Spundae)
Rooz (djrooz.com)
Elevate 7 (L.A.)

**Opulent Temple**
Vinkalmann (Opulent Temple)
Cosmic Selector (Opulent Temple)
Dex Stakker (Opulent Temple / Opel / Pronoia)
Dulce Vita (Opulent Temple / Nutbass)
Jeff Taisch (Opulent Temple)
Atimatik (Opulent Temple / Disfunktion)
Elevate 7 (L.A.)

**In The Deep End**
Clarkie (Deep End / In Deep)
Kramer (Deep End / djkramer.com)
Layne Loomis (Deep End)
Ben Seagren (Deep End / Sense SF)
Zach Moore (Deep End)
Floorcraft (Freeform)

**Inside Homourborous**
Mephisto Odyssey (Groovequest /N-Mity Sounds)
Smoove (djsmoove.net)
Aaron Jae (Space Cowboys / Evil Breaks)
Influence (Strategik)
Liam Shy (Tantra)
Jonboy (Dubalicious)
Mace vs. Joe Joe (Brass Tax)

**The Hookahdome**
Jef Stott (Six Degrees)
Janaka Selekta (Worldly)
Funkminsta Fulla (MoPimp Records)
Belly Dancing by Allure & Fat Chance Belly Dance

+
Visuals by StopTime 341 (www.stoptime341.com)
Lasers by Skippy, Micro & UV99 (www.uv99.com)
Art Cars, Creative Nooks, Ambient Entertainment, Spontaneous Performance,
Colorful Characters, conscious trouble

9pm-4am

Limited $20 & $25 discounted pre-sales have already SOLD OUT. (Response to this event has been overwhelming!)

Discounted tix will stay at $30 HERE: http://www.opulenttemple.org

Tix will be available at the door, but to ensure express entry, we highly recommend a pre-sale ticket.

Fully permitted indoor venue, bars are cash only, so plan accordingly. There will be an ATM & FREE coat check on site. Outside smoking area.

Volunteers & artistic contributions needed! If interested, write: Piper Hook : <piperhook>

This is a 100% benefit for the Opulent Temple aspirations for '09. If this party does well, we'll be there. If it does not, then we won't. It's really that simple. We hope you can make it.

**There will be plenty of porta potties. There will be places to sit. There will be plenty of trash cans.

<b><i>Event Transportation Plan:</i></b>
The transportation plan for the event is quite comprehensive and consists of a mixture of provided shuttle transportation, use of public transit and taxi services, and available parking at the event location. Details below.

<i>FREE Provided Shuttle Transportation:</i>
Opulent Temple has contracted with First Student and Das Frachtut LLC to provide shuttle buses from Oakland and San Francisco, respectively to Treasure Island between the hours of 9:30 pm and 4:30 am. These buses will run in 40 minute intervals, and are each capable of carrying up to 40 people.

<b>Pickup points have been designated ::
** SAN FRANCISCO : Corner of Grove & Larkin on Civic Center Plaza (@ Civic Center BART).

**EAST BAY: front of the Lakeshore Library, Lakeshore/Grand Ave freeway overpass. Lakeview Branch Library‎ -550 El Embarcadero, Oakland, CA‎ -across from Gold's Gym</b>

Public Transit/Taxi Services:
The location is conveniently located adjacent to the 108 MUNI bus line, which runs every 45 minutes, 24 hours per day, and goes directly to the Transbay Terminal in San Francisco. In addition to this, we are designating the shuttle service pickup locations as taxi cab pickup stops, and have alerted local taxi cab companies of this plan.

Available Event Parking:
The Treasure Island event facility has ample parking capacity for over 500 vehicles. This area will be supervised by an organized team of event volunteers and security staff throughout the evening. As well, we are actively encouraging our event attendants to carpool to the event. Spots are first come first parked, early arrival recommended if you need to drive. Please don't drive alone!

DIRECTIONS: Either direction from the bridge onto Treasure Island - head to the north side of the Island (the "Treasure" not "Yerba Buena" Island) - There's one road of entry that winds around and lands down at a previously manned security gate with stop sign. Head through the gate and take the first right hand turn onto California Ave. Take the first right again, you'll see the parking lot entrance on your immediate left. Enter and follow parking helper prompts.

200 California Ave
Treasure Island
San Francisco, CA

http://www.opulenttemple.org
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby mabu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:...by the end of the set, the only ones remaining were a bunch of naked finnish guys in Nazi Regalia.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time that happened, I'd be able to afford DJ Tiesto.
mabu

Postby Igneouss » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:23 pm

*singing* "les boys do caberet..."
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:35 am

fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby bx1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:24 am

I heard the same rumors about Paul Oakenfold getting paid to perform when I was there at the '05 burn. Oakenfold even got driven to our little camp ("The Bush" located right next to Root :P) in a golf cart and listened to me mix for about 10 minutes before taking off... I personally believe him and other "big name" artists at least have their tickets, and other accommodations taken care of while they are in BRC (while else would they be locked into one camp/specific events and appear to be so pampered?). If theme camps want/feel they need to pay some big artist to come perform at Burning Man, that's on them. I personally would rather have DJ/artists perform because they want to, not for the money. Our doors are always open to amateurs and professionals alike, just don't expect to get paid with money, that doesn't exist here.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:24 pm

bx1 wrote:I heard the same rumors about Paul Oakenfold getting paid to perform when I was there at the '05 burn. Oakenfold even got driven to our little camp ("The Bush" located right next to Root :P) in a golf cart and listened to me mix for about 10 minutes before taking off... I personally believe him and other "big name" artists at least have their tickets, and other accommodations taken care of while they are in BRC (while else would they be locked into one camp/specific events and appear to be so pampered?). If theme camps want/feel they need to pay some big artist to come perform at Burning Man, that's on them. I personally would rather have DJ/artists perform because they want to, not for the money. Our doors are always open to amateurs and professionals alike, just don't expect to get paid with money, that doesn't exist here.

Isnt it possible he simply has friends at that camp, CHOOSES to stay there and gives his music?
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby ibdave » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:14 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
bx1 wrote:I heard the same rumors about Paul Oakenfold getting paid to perform when I was there at the '05 burn. Oakenfold even got driven to our little camp ("The Bush" located right next to Root :P) in a golf cart and listened to me mix for about 10 minutes before taking off... I personally believe him and other "big name" artists at least have their tickets, and other accommodations taken care of while they are in BRC (while else would they be locked into one camp/specific events and appear to be so pampered?). If theme camps want/feel they need to pay some big artist to come perform at Burning Man, that's on them. I personally would rather have DJ/artists perform because they want to, not for the money. Our doors are always open to amateurs and professionals alike, just don't expect to get paid with money, that doesn't exist here.

Isnt it possible he simply has friends at that camp, CHOOSES to stay there and gives his music?

naaaaa,that would be to simple..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby bx1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 pm

mdmf007 wrote:

Now what kind of rumor would that be to spread?
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

bx1

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 pm

I know a photographer that didn't figure it out, and he tagged some of his photos
as Oakenfeld until someone let him know that's not who that was.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 am

I heard the same rumors about Paul Oakenfold getting paid to perform when I was there at the '05 burn. Oakenfold even got driven to our little camp ("The Bush" located right next to Root Razz) in a golf cart and listened to me mix for about 10 minutes before taking off... I personally believe him and other "big name" artists at least have their tickets, and other accommodations taken care of while they are in BRC (while else would they be locked into one camp/specific events and appear to be so pampered?

complete bullshit.

we NEVER pay our DJ's. Period.

2005 was my first year at Root Society, and Oakenfeld did Visit, because he is a friend of the camp founder, and fellow Dj, Jefr Tale.

he did not play a set though, i do believe he played at Cirque, and at Op Temp.

rumors put out by people with "speaker envy" will be squished by 33,000 watts of sub-woofer.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby bx1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:25 am

He did play at OP, and I never said that root society paid him anything, or anyone for that matter (I mentioned that my camp was next to root). All I said was I heard that rumor in 05, and it did look like he was being chauffeured around, and if it's true I basically could care less!

For the record, I believe Oakenfold is still in Guinness as the most successful DJ ever, I'm sure he could play a lot of events for free and not have to worry about money, but I *know* there are DJs that have gotten paid to perform in BRC.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

bx1

Postby bx1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:27 am

Oh, and I don't have speaker envy... But I do like to battle. :twisted:
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

bx1

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:27 pm

were you with green gorilla?
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby bx1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Nope.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

bx1

Postby xxRion » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:57 pm

I hope the fund raising for Opulent temple is going well!
I really hope you guys can make it out there this year, i always love going and dacing there..it amazing.

Anddddd R.S is amazing as well.
I love going and dancing there until the wee hours of the moring..

and thats also sweet that thunder dome could possibly be there as well.
:D

I wish that The Deep End was going to be there, but if they arent..its not the total end of the world..
there are more places to dance and hang out.

but the deep end was my fav. place in the day. looks like i'll just have to find a new fav. place..or a 2nd fav. place

Thanks for sharing all the info that you know.
and maybe i'll run into some of you in the playa!

:D
xxRion
xxRion

Postby ourania » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Does anyone know how the fund raising at the event in March for Opulent Temple went? I know it's still early days but it would be great to hear about how things are going.
ourania

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:47 am

theres a fundraiser this weekend in NYC

click on link to brownpaperbag tickets for date / time / location.

Jack Productions presents...

a fundraiser for the Opulent Temple, the infamous Burning Man sound camp you all know and love

DJs:
Lee Coombs (Lot 49, LeeCoombs.com - UK)
Syd Gris (Opulent Temple - SF)
Dr. Wundt (Dealin' Records)
Todd Fatjo (Jack Productions, Dealin' Records)
Hoj Johmeri (Opel Productions - SF)
Morgan Stoner (Funky Communication, Team Ewok)

...will get your feet moving and have you longing for those crazy nights on the Playa. Burlesque and go-go dance performances by local Burners.

Light installations by Dr. Light & Techno Todd, and blacklight photography by Joe Che. Flyer artwork by Todd Fatjo & Steven Loftis.

(100% of the proceeds go to production of the Opulent Temple sound camp at Burning Man. None of the DJs, artists, performers, & volunteers for Opulent Temple receive any compensation for providing you with the beautiful music and imagery they provide. We thank you for your contribution!)

Pre-Sales tickets are $10, limited number of tickets may be available at the door $15 before midnight & $20 after. To guarantee your admission, purchase your tickets here:

https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/62443

Notes:
21 and over w/ID, street parking, coat check available, FREE goodie bags for first 25 attendees in costume!
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:12 am

so,to recap, it sounds as though Opulent Temple, Root Society, and Thunder Dome will return in 2009, though Deep End is definitely not, n'est pas?
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm

root society is coming back.
deep end is not as far as i know, and that seems to be a certainty.
i believe Opulent temple is coming back, hence the fundraisers.
Larry will probably wear a hat.
Crimson will without a doubt, play with fire.
The DPW will piss people off, and thats a special perk they deserve.
And, Contrary to popular belief, the "glory hole" behind bruno's is actually just a hole in the fence, and three schnauzers and a black lab live on the other side, so dont ever listen to the bartender when your shitfaced and horny.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby ourania » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:53 pm

So Simon, what exactly makes the hole in Bruno's behind glorious? Details please...
ourania

Postby dc383 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Someone needs to get NZ's The Upbeats if nobody has yet.

Some high-test shit... 5th gear. zoom zoom boom boom.
dc383

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:39 pm

So Simon, what exactly makes the hole in Bruno's behind glorious? Details please...

i'd rather not talk anout it i'm trying to repress the memories

the black lab has a really scratchy tongue, FYI
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby ourania » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Mmmmm, good to know. Still, scratchy tongue=tiny abrasions+caustic playa dust=big masochistic fun for some, if you're into that sort of thing. :lol:
ourania

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:48 am

do you love cats?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:32 am

this is a set-up for a pussy joke, is'nt it....
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby ygmir » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:this is a set-up for a pussy joke, is'nt it....

sharp as a watermellon...............thtat's me........

I'm just returning the straight line favors you've done me so many times........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:41 am

Thunder Temple? Opulent Society? These seem attractive to me.
Ugly Dougly

Postby wedeliver » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:01 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:were you with green gorilla?

We had some interesting, not really burner, type of experience with the Green Gorilla lounge. Business and all seemed to be more important then the community. But that was just my experience.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Theme Camps