I don't like the RV! Help me!

I don't like the RV! Help me!

Postby K1tten » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:11 am

Ok so, here's what's wrong:

Last year, my family came to the Playa for the first time. We brought along this big arse RV (you may recall it if you passed by: right beside the Mystery Machine at the intersection of 5:30 and Impala, big, tan... ugly. Had a dome beside it and a light up tree) that we practically had to push across the country. Around every corner we ended up hitting some sort of issue. Tire exploding, locked in park at a bug INFESTED rest area, battery dieing annnd almost literally leaving in our wake a cloud of smoke so thick I blame myself for global warming. Ya, I hated that thing. It felt like we were going to tilt over at any moment in the winds.

Sooo...and whooo... this year I want to just take our regular car, pack necessities and sleep in our dome. Yes, it'll be cold but that's what blankets are for. Yes, it'll be hot in the day but we shouldn't be in there anyway.

My parents want showers, that's why we take the RV. I couldn't care less, I'm at the bottom of my ability to care.

SO! What advice can the Vets and or Virgins offer me? Please! I don't want to take the gas guzzler!!! Thanks!
Mew <3
K1tten

Postby Dork » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:27 am

Google "nosefish shower". Pick up a shower pump off Ebay and you're good to go.
Dork

Postby Sham » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:09 am

I got out of the shower situation very easily. I found camping shower tents for $4.00 each at our local Walmart. I bought 6 of them and have them for back-up as the years go on. I also got a camping shower water bag and let it heat up on the roof of the car. Also, I keep water jugs on the roof as well to pick up some of the heat from the sun. I pick up a small pallet when I pass through Reno and set the pallet on a heavy tarp and then put the tent on the pallet and I keep all the gray water off the playa.
Pretty much everything I need except for food and water I pack in two large suitcases. You have to work pretty hard to pack wisely, but it makes it much more fun when you can survive a week with everything that you planned ahead for.
My first year I really thought I needed an RV and wanted to make arrangements to stay in one at our camp. Now I don't think I would want to stay in an RV at all. Much more fun in a tent!! :D
Sham

Postby Sail Man » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 am

K1tten, there are 2 good ideas for showers, can't really expand on those. How big is your dome? Does it offer you the room to move about so ur not to claustrophobic? Do you have all ur stuff in there taking up living space? Maybe consider a small dome tent off to the side to use for stuff storage. Do you have a separate shade shelter for hanging out "on the porch"? Good coolers can take the place of the fridge in the rv. We used the coleman 6 day coolers with great success. I kept a wireless thermometer handy to monitor internal temps, in the morning it was usually 34 inside the cooler, climbing to the low 40's durning the afternoon. They were kept off the playa with 2x4's and also covered with a silver tarp, and, someone who tends to be rather anal bout some things but will remain nameless :roll: :wink: also lined the inside with mylar survival blankets :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:00 pm

I'll refrain from the "get a better RV!" biz... but really, they aren't all like that nightmare you described even if they don't cost a fortune.
If I was gonna go without, I'd get myself a swamp cooler for the dome. Every swamp-cooled dome I've been in at BM has been a wonderful place.
The others are right about the camp showers - there's lots of available portable shower setups. And they work!
Since ice is available on-playa food storage is pretty easy. Get some GOOD coolers though... a hot desert is the ultimate load on an ice chest!
There are awesome little tent heaters. Google "tent heater" and lots of info and stuff will come up.

How to set up a camp and live well at BM is a well-covered topic, but what the hell, we can do it some more!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby RodanCX » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:44 am

My BF got this old ford RV at the beginning of 2008 for burning man, he got it for about 400$ on craigslist.

The whole inside was torn apart and remade the way we wanted it, lots of work but it was fun and nice to learn how to do that kind of stuff. And it was worth it this year after all the sandstorms.

It has a bed on top of the cab and a propane heater on the bottom, small fridge and stove inside. Fits 4 people comfy enough aswell.

The only problems we had with it being old was that sometimes it didn't want to start or running out of gas, that didn't matter too much since it was like 7 cars caravan coming all the way from portland/bend. i don't think i would recommend getting a jelopy and going by yourself thought but if you go with friends its a really good idea lol. Also the overheating on the waiting line for the gates in and out sucked. but meh. it was quite the adventure and don't regret any of it. :D

Here's what it looks like, after getting stoned in the garage and some spray cans.

EDIT: Meh picasa is being a pain on the ass with the img, here's the link to the picture and its also the one on my avatar.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aS ... directlink
RodanCX

Postby Coyote88 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:15 am

OMG was that rest area in Indiana?!?!
i went to the same one then
it was a TA and it was fucking INFESTED with black beetle bugs that somehow managed to invade our car in the 10 seconds that the doors were open and the 5 min we were there it was freakin terrifying
Coyote88

From the Parent of the RV complainer

Postby KBorkey » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:10 pm

First off - that stupid RV got us all the way from Richmond, VA to BRC you little ingrate! Second, you didn't even have to travel BACK to Richmond, no instead DD Mon and I put your candy-ass on a plane from Las Vegas (causing us a full extra day of driving) FIRST CLASS, may I point out.

We plan on selling the Tan Nightmare - going up on Craigslist tomorrow as a matter of fact. DD Mon will be renovating the 1978 Blue Bird Wanderlodge and will have it up and running before we leave for the Burn (Tickets arrived this week). We've even got ideas for an Art piece using said Blue Bird. If that doesn't work out - we will have to come up with a plan B.

Lastly, it has nothing to do with showers - DD has wanted to renovate a BlueBird since we were married 11 years ago today.

So hush your whinny lips daughter, be a good and grateful child - for there aren't many parents willing to travel cross-country with teenagers!

Coyote88 - I don't recall where the bugs were - but they were crickets not beetles and there were MILLIONS of them. I think that some sort of Bait Shop delivery van must have dumped over - there is no other explanation!
KBorkey

Postby Sensei » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:37 pm

A father/daughter dispute on eplaya! And it has a happy smackdown-but-I-love-you ending too!

The rest of you (us) freaks could take a lesson from this: Burningman is indeed a family event. I feel all warm and glowy now.
Sensei

Postby wedeliver » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:46 pm

I remember you guys!

RodanCX wrote:My BF got this old ford RV at the beginning of 2008 for burning man, he got it for about 400$ on craigslist.

The whole inside was torn apart and remade the way we wanted it, lots of work but it was fun and nice to learn how to do that kind of stuff. And it was worth it this year after all the sandstorms.

It has a bed on top of the cab and a propane heater on the bottom, small fridge and stove inside. Fits 4 people comfy enough aswell.

The only problems we had with it being old was that sometimes it didn't want to start or running out of gas, that didn't matter too much since it was like 7 cars caravan coming all the way from portland/bend. i don't think i would recommend getting a jelopy and going by yourself thought but if you go with friends its a really good idea lol. Also the overheating on the waiting line for the gates in and out sucked. but meh. it was quite the adventure and don't regret any of it. :D

Here's what it looks like, after getting stoned in the garage and some spray cans.

EDIT: Meh picasa is being a pain on the ass with the img, here's the link to the picture and its also the one on my avatar.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aS ... directlink
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Re: From the Parent of the RV complainer

Postby wedeliver » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:11 pm

KBorkey wrote:...
Lastly, it has nothing to do with showers - DD has wanted to renovate a BlueBird since we were married 11 years ago today.....

.....Coyote88 - I don't recall where the bugs were - but they were crickets not beetles and there were MILLIONS of them. I think that some sort of Bait Shop delivery van must have dumped over - there is no other explanation!

Happy 11 years! Married the day before valentines day, cool.

Seeing bugs? Good drugs?

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:23 am

kill your parents. Collect the inheritance. Buy a NEW Rv.

problems solved.
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:23 am

what were the names of those brothers in So. Ca that did that?........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:29 am

lyle, kyle, menendez?

something like that....

i blame their parents.

i would have killed them too if they named me Lyle or Kyle.
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:39 am

yeah, that's it..........I agree, to,
and, since they used a shotgun, IIRC, I'd say they were serious........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Yeah, shotguns are so humorless.

Yes, I am going to hell, thanks for asking.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby wedeliver » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:40 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah, shotguns are so humorless.

Yes, I am going to hell, thanks for asking.

But shotguns can be funny... This even has bacon..

http://songsforamerica.net/songsforamer ... tgun-song/

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Shambala wrote:You have to work pretty hard to pack wisely, but it makes it much more fun when you can survive a week with everything that you planned ahead for.

And if you don't survive the week, you'll know you didn't pack wisely!
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Artemis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:lyle, kyle, menendez?

something like that....

i blame their parents.

good thing you didn't name your daughter after a goddess or anything
Artemis

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Artemis wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:lyle, kyle, menendez?

something like that....

i blame their parents.

good thing you didn't name your daughter after a goddess or anything

Simon's daughters name is Hillary?...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Re: From the Parent of the RV complainer

Postby K1tten » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:13 pm

[quote="KBorkey"]First off - that stupid RV got us all the way from Richmond, VA to BRC you little ingrate! Second, you didn't even have to travel BACK to Richmond, no instead DD Mon and I put your candy-ass on a plane from Las Vegas (causing us a full extra day of driving) FIRST CLASS, may I point out.

We plan on selling the Tan Nightmare - going up on Craigslist tomorrow as a matter of fact. DD Mon will be renovating the 1978 Blue Bird Wanderlodge and will have it up and running before we leave for the Burn (Tickets arrived this week). We've even got ideas for an Art piece using said Blue Bird. If that doesn't work out - we will have to come up with a plan B.

Lastly, it has nothing to do with showers - DD has wanted to renovate a BlueBird since we were married 11 years ago today.

So hush your whinny lips daughter, be a good and grateful child - for there aren't many parents willing to travel cross-country with teenagers!

Coyote88 - I don't recall where the bugs were - but they were crickets not beetles and there were MILLIONS of them. I think that some sort of Bait Shop delivery van must have dumped over - there is no other explanation![/quote]

Thas not very nice mother... *cry*
Mew <3
K1tten

Postby betrdanevr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Cheer up, sweetie.

Some parents would have driven you to the nearest Greyhound station instead of buying first class air fare. :idea:
betrdanevr

Postby RedheadBarbie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:06 am

My mom doesn't take me to burning man. I even have to pay her to watch my dogs. Maybe we can trade parents then I can fly in and have the RV waiting for me. Mom will be waiting with my grilled cheese sandwich. I'll give her a bad figure drawing of a dirty hippy and tell her she's the best mom ever, as a lone tear drops from her eye.
RedheadBarbie

Postby xenarchi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 am

What a great thread. 8)
xenarchi

Postby betrdanevr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:09 am

xenarchi wrote:What a great thread. 8)

I know. Child abuse. :roll:

I say put 'em both on a Greyhound. 8)
betrdanevr

Postby mojo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Yep, I buy tickets, food, booze, etc for my two college-age sons and they don't even have to ride in the not air conditioned "classic" RV. Then again, they don't get to sleep in it either.

But then, how many parents get to have their college kids want to go on a family vacation with them? I get an instant work force for camp chores, set-up, tear-down, etc....
mojo

Postby betrdanevr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Good kids, there! :D
betrdanevr

Postby mojo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:53 pm

They are good kids but even if they weren't, they would run up against my "if you don't help, you don't eat" policy.
mojo

Postby Felicity A La Dreamer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:12 am

[quote="RodanCX"] My BF got this old ford RV at the beginning of 2008 for burning man, he got it for about 400$ on craigslist.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aS ... directlink [/quote]

Right on! I'd love to do something similar or carpool with someone else who was doing that this year.
Felicity A La Dreamer

Postby Daddy-O » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Great picture it looks very comfortable.
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.
Daddy-O

Next

Return to 2009 Theme Camps