Critical Tits

Critical Tits

Postby bacon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:58 pm

4) Sacred Space Holders - This important role is crucial for creating a safe space for women to experience the ritual and interact with each other and the drummers. The powerful souls who choose to be Sacred Space Holders will stand in a large circle holding a ribbon along their perimeter to denote the edge of the Ritual Ring. They will also be the wall of integrity between the women and the camera looky-loos. This calls for BIG hearts and grounded spirits, and we know you are out there!

Seriously??? Men completly excluded? My husband did not have a camera and we have been partying at the CT after party for years. I cannot believe how rude these "space holders" were, and they were all men. Sounds like CT needs a big private space way out on the edge of the playa to exclude all men so they can revel in their breasts.....get over it, they are called tits! :evil:
bacon

Postby vargaso » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Ran across the same thing. We were cruising around in our art car, saw the end of the parade from afar and went, "Oh yeah, Critical Tits, let's check out the party." We had 3 men and 3 women in the car, my wife and I had been to the party in previous years. We get there and a Ranger pulls up and asks the men to please turn their heads. We said fuck this and left.

Now, this is out in the open playa. If you want to hold a private ceremony, probably a better place would be in a dome or some other such enclosure, but the open playa is a public space. It ain't empowerment if 50% of the population are not only not invited to attend, but are told to look the other way. That is bullshit.

Only negative thing to happen out there this year, so I'm certainly not complaining in general.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 pm

You are allowed to tell Black Rock Rangers to fuck off as often as needed.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:17 pm

I thought I needed the card for that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:32 pm

vargaso wrote:Ran across the same thing. We were cruising around in our art car, saw the end of the parade from afar and went, "Oh yeah, Critical Tits, let's check out the party." We had 3 men and 3 women in the car, my wife and I had been to the party in previous years. We get there and a Ranger pulls up and asks the men to please turn their heads. We said fuck this and left.

Now, this is out in the open playa. If you want to hold a private ceremony, probably a better place would be in a dome or some other such enclosure, but the open playa is a public space. It ain't empowerment if 50% of the population are not only not invited to attend, but are told to look the other way. That is bullshit.

Only negative thing to happen out there this year, so I'm certainly not complaining in general.

That's bullshit. They "might" have a legitamite reason to "ask" you not to take photos; but to ask you not to look? No way! I would have kept on staring and told them to fuck off. (And I'm not even into tits.)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby bacon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 pm

I told the guy at the perimeter to fuck himself, the BRC ranger was actually cool to me but did tell me that if I violated their "private" event entry rule I could be kicked off the playa. Probably BS but I did not want to push it and see!

Talk about curtailing a persons liberty!!! I say we start and less angry critical tits......just saying
bacon

Postby golgotha-a-go-go » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 am

For eleven years I have been proud to be part of an event that allows freedom of space and expression to hold something so wonderful as Critical Tits. I fully support the photographic policy of BM and am respectful and supportive of personal expression events such as Critical Tits. However, this year as my lady and I approached the gathering in the "public space of open playa" we were greeted by a sinister perimeter of men telling me to not trespass, as "no men were allowed." I was a bit dumbfounded, but complied with their wishes. As I looked inside the inner circle I saw men drumming and dancing. I asked one of the "guards" about it and the reply was " oh, you know...special privileges..." What's that all about? Open playa is public space. If you wish to hold a private event that excludes half the population, please encircle your private party with a set of RV's and don't be part of the community. Some suggestions on this thread are worth thinking about: hold it earlier in the week, make the time-location less public info and more word-of-mouth, etc.

All the best for future gatherings.
homo sum, nihil humani a me alienum est, puto...
golgotha-a-go-go

Postby golgotha-a-go-go » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:38 am

Oops, the suggestions are on another thread:

viewtopic.php?t=27359&highlight=
golgotha-a-go-go

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:40 am

Drummers? Where can they get enough female drummers? ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am

golgotha-a-go-go wrote:For eleven years I have been proud to be part of an event that allows freedom of space and expression to hold something so wonderful as Critical Tits. I fully support the photographic policy of BM and am respectful and supportive of personal expression events such as Critical Tits. However, this year as my lady and I approached the gathering in the "public space of open playa" we were greeted by a sinister perimeter of men telling me to not trespass, as "no men were allowed." I was a bit dumbfounded, but complied with their wishes. As I looked inside the inner circle I saw men drumming and dancing. I asked one of the "guards" about it and the reply was " oh, you know...special privileges..." What's that all about? Open playa is public space. If you wish to hold a private event that excludes half the population, please encircle your private party with a set of RV's and don't be part of the community. Some suggestions on this thread are worth thinking about: hold it earlier in the week, make the time-location less public info and more word-of-mouth, etc.

All the best for future gatherings.

More bullshit.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby golgotha-a-go-go » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:34 am

Is my post "bullshit" or the situation we're encountering out there?
golgotha-a-go-go

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:56 am

golgotha-a-go-go wrote:Is my post "bullshit" or the situation we're encountering out there?

The situation. It's a public event, there are no "guards" for public events on the playa.

I find it sad that so many people can be so easily intimidated.

And as far as critical tits is concerned, if they don't want people to look, then they should not have the event. If I were to march in critical dicks, I wouldn't mind if people looked, or I wouldn't be marching with them.

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby YouBlowDeadBear » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 pm

The way I see it, regardless of how it's began it has BECOME a parade (Think Bay To Breakers). If you go into it not expecting to be gawked out by thousands of men, you've lost all common sense on or off the playa. On the flipside, some watching can definitely be more respectful in general regardless if it's a topless woman or anyone/thing else. 'Tis the way of the playa?- Perhaps.

As for the "after party." Being of the male gender I was not allowed in and thusly my lady decided not to go in either. To quote her "That's bullshit." Although, I WAS able to walk up to the boundary they setup and watch the goings-on without being hassled. Regardless, we both were expecting a party and since there wasn't one it would be more fun to drink and hang around the polar bear artcar (One of my favorites) and everyone else (Mostly women actually.) shunning the, as one lady put it, "estrogen fest." It sucks because the after party has been loads of fun in the past (Especially 2007), but ohh well.
"That's going to go in there?!?!?!"
"Meat hug."
YouBlowDeadBear

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:42 pm

jkisha wrote: If I were to march in critical dicks, I wouldn't mind if people looked, or I wouldn't be marching with them.

JK

So.....why don't you march then ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Wouldn't common sense also dictate that the challenge of the sanctity of this taboo would result in wildly different reactions by different participants.

I don't much like the word "empowerment," but I do believe that it's not a one-size-fits-all experience.

I'm so likely I can't ride a bike, I don't have to cope with that crowd. I hate crowds.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kenny Z » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Critical Segregation Party! Cool! :roll:

It seems even many women were set off by this. I'm sure those women who are only into women or hate men were okay with this (yes, no?) but in my opinion, it alienated more people than it empowered.

I think a possible solution to this would be to have two parties. Those that feel they need protection can enter a segregated area and those who are comfortable with the way it was can socialize outside the barriers.

My $0.02.
Kenny Z

This is simply wrong and...

Postby dj_Danimal » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Goes against what the whole BM idea is about. We have this even in the middle of nowhere because it’s away from the strong fist of control and discrimination. I didn’t know there was a party after. Would I go maybe, but it would be more to view the enjoyment of so many people feeling free and enjoying themselves... not to see tits. Are you people blind or just ignorant? There are tits EVERYWHERE at BM. Over the course of 5 days you see more tits than that single moment so what’s the big deal! If you (topless ladies and their insecure men) can't handle being topless or you feel you deserve a sheltered environment to do it, then BM is not for you. Do those of you who put up that ribbon realize that, in achieving what you want you are destroying the concept that spawned the idea of CT in the first place... think about it

Your insecure and selfish segregation will be the death of you event!

On a plus side, you won’t need to but a ribbon as long each year… cut off pieces and gift them as your circle gets smaller and smaller.

Critical Segregation Party - Love this! Tu Che! to you ribbon holders!
dj_Danimal

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Critical Tits is so five years ago. It's been done...and then some. Anyone can be topless anywhere on the playa with a lot more freedom and fewer gawkers.
It's turned into a circus. There are now "rules and regulations" and "guards"? Time to move on and do something else.
OnceTheDustClears

Re: This is simply wrong and...

Postby EB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:42 pm

If you can't handle being topless or you feel you deserve a sheltered environment to do it, then BM is not for you.

I love being told that Burning Man might not be for me. Maybe one of these days I'll listen and save myself some money.

Critical Tits. Went with a campmate who hadn't seen it. Saw the spectacle -- and it IS a spectacle -- and followed the crowd to the "sacred space." Had a guy ask us if we could help "create a sacred space" for the women by turning our backs and forming a perimeter. I shrugged and said sure. I was as much a "guard" as I was a pylon. My campmate and I hung around for a couple minutes, then bailed, as did most of the women after about ten minutes.

The purpose of the bike ride was to raise breast cancer awareness (by way of honoring a burner who died of breast cancer a few years back.) The giant party, the "empowerment" mumbo jumbo, the boob painting parties, the paparazzi have all been tacked on as the event has gotten bigger and bigger.

I have fun, cheer the women on and leave my camera in my bike basket.
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 pm

I never heard about the breast cancer aspect of the ride before.

and Fishy, I still have a couple of those "fuck off Ranger" cards in the scrapbooks somewhere (2000,2001?)
oneeyeddick

Postby Elderberry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:15 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
jkisha wrote: If I were to march in critical dicks, I wouldn't mind if people looked, or I wouldn't be marching with them.

JK

So.....why don't you march then ?

LOL, you know, we always plan to march and/or go on the naked bike ride, but something better always seems to be happening and we end up missing it. Maybe next year. (I think I said that the last two years in a row.)

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 pm

it is at noon, on thursday...there ain't nothing better going on then...believe me.

It was a gas this year and will be bigger/better next year.

Hope to see you guys there, and gloves aren't necessary. :wink:
oneeyeddick

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:13 pm

Critical Dicks is worth being in because we don't take it seriously. If CD becomes serious then I bail.

I'm about as likely to attend the CT party as the Republican National Convention. In both cases they don't want me there, and in both cases I'm not that interested.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:41 pm

and thanks, DR. Placebo, for providing rythym and cadence for the march, as well as for blowing your own whistle for as many years as you have for us all.
oneeyeddick

Postby zcassidy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:31 pm

My two friends and I saw the gathering in the distance and decided to check it out. I was impressed by the spectacle, especially since I arrived at the circle just as the women were making their approach. It was great fun for the better part of an hour then someone asked me to volunteer as a guardian. Being my first burn I was eager to volunteer anytime help was needed. There were a few verbal altercations with unhappy men not being allowed in. What I remember most was the negative energy and anger which began to build around the perimeter. At one point I thought I was going to see a fist fight on the playa! I hadn't felt anything like that the entire week and, sadly, it made me think of being back in Default Land. The experienced guardians around me seemed like nice guys trying to uphold a code, and I wanted to buy into that for a little while. We told the men with ladies to stand with us and rejoin later. Looking back on it I have a hard time choosing sides so I guess I will have to take a more analytic approach next time.

BUT, the gratitude of the women involved was apparent. The climax of the event seemed to be when the women formed a line and circled the guards; thanking, hugging, and handing out nostalgia.
Be absurd with your goodness
zcassidy

Postby penrose » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:30 am

I too was a guard, ad hoc. As the women came around some thanked us. That was nice.

A thousand times better was singing them in. The choir formed a sort of portal and sang with our arms outstretched. The joy on some women's faces, the emotion brought out by this unexpected serenade was so moving at times I couldn't sing. It was pretty wonderful.

The only problem I saw was when some idiot on a bicyclist crashed into the fence. He was sent away.

I did think it wrong that there were men in the circle, drumming. If it's for women only then use woman drummers. There should be no shortage. But whatev. It's not to be taken much more seriously than Critical Dicks, which I did march in, somewhat by accident.
penrose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:28 am

http://www.sjbikeparty.org/
One night recently as I was getting ready to snooze, I heard a great screaming and shouting down the road. I hurried out in my pyjamas, to see a horde of cyclists, a la Critical Mass, a-pedaling down yon avenue, accompanied by the local law enforcement community. I almost got on board my dusty playa horse, even dressed as I was. Felt like I was back in BRC again!
Ugly Dougly

Postby Rat Bastard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:06 pm

So they turned men that were with their wives etc away and asked other men to get involved? How did they pick?

I was part of the mutant vehicle perimeter last year. I was bored to tears. The entire party was over by a vehicle with a stage. The other 60% of the area was empty. Very lame.

I really don't understand why the organizers of this think they're gaining empowerment through segregation. Except for the random guys picked for "guards". Seems CT purposely went against the BM principles. What happened to radicaly inclusive? Seems like it was more of a man hater's party then one to celebrate womanly freedom and breast cancer awareness.

No wonder the party gets smaller every year.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
Rat Bastard

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 am

Tickleable Pits next year?

Ugly Dougly

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:17 am

I was thinking Critical Taints.

The perineum never gets the attention it deserves.
oneeyeddick

Next

Return to 2009 Art & Performance