Live painting on the Playa

Live painting on the Playa

Postby arwaitie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi,

I'm an painter and would like to "try" and do some paintings during the week while on the playa. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who is also going to bring their easel and supplies? Are there any theme camps who are already hosting live painting sessions or would be interested in setting one up?

Would love to hear from some veteran playa painters as well with tips on stabilizing easels etc. to withstand the elements. Or supply tips. Oils in the elements or acrylics, etc. I have an idea but expert advice is priceless.

Any suggestions or possible meet ups would be wonderful. Please let me know if you're interested. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Rebekah
I love you, you love me, going down the sugar tree where we'll see lots of bees. Playing...Playing... But the bees won't sting cause you love them.
arwaitie

Postby Oldguy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:41 pm

According to the latest Jackrabbitt Speaks report, artists are needed to paint exterior panels to Centercamp Cafe area prior to opening day, you know, the large murals. Also, there are going to be art kiosks inside with 4'X4' panels on 3' foot bases. Max size for 2 diminsional art is 4'X4', smaller works will be placed together. You can sign up for Jackrabbitt and check their archives for past issues. I believe you need to email them a portfolio to get approved for murals to participate in that way, I believe checking in with volunteer co-ordinater was meantioned also but I deleted my last issue... :(

You can always put down a dropcloth most anywhere to do portrait work. Best to work out of the wind, unless you want a little alkali in your medium. I've seen big canvases set up for burner participation. Go for it.

The Jack Rabbit Speaks Announcement List is a periodic update distributed by the Burning Man Communications Department. Currently there are over 75,000 individuals on the list with numbers growing each day. This is the MOST up-to-date communication, and is a one-way distribution list with posts no more than once a week. (For help ensuring the Jack Rabbit Speaks Newsletter is not blocked as spam by your email provider, read Tips for Getting the JRS Newsletter.

To join, send an email to:
bman-announce-subscribe(at)burningman(dot)com. Your initial request will require a confirmation response in order to protect you from unwanted email.

For complete instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing, and information about how to request a post to the JRS see our JRS information page.

Participants who prefer their news via US Mail may wish sign up for our Snail Mail list. You'll get notification of ticket sales, upcoming events, and our newsletters as they are published. Fill out the simple online form here.

edited to add Jackrabbitt Speaks info
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:42 am

I'd say go wtih acrylic. The sheer stickiness of oil means that a certain amount of dust might get in with it. You could always work in oil on top of the acrylic after getting your dry canvases home. No, I haven't done that on playa. So I'm kinda guessing. I'd think "study" there, reall work at home. YMMV.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

model camp

Postby nickn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 pm

I'm with the Art Model camp, which will be hosting figure-drawing sessions from noon to 3 Monday through Sunday (hopefully). Anyone wanting to draw, paint, or whatever is welcome. Also, if you want to try modeling we're open to that too. The poses are usually 5 to 20 minutes, which is short for painting, but maybe you can get somethig out of that.

We're in the AEZ, on Fossil at about 6:45.

Nick
nickn

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51 am

Okay, I'm curious and maybe you don't know the answer, but you're available to ask.

Have you ever used models that have had extensive injuries or operations? (Either yourself or in camp.) Was that interesting in terms of how the work came out?

Ta.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby littleflower » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 am

fishy ... i've done a lot of life drawing, and have worked with elderly people and very pregnant women, but never anyone with injuries/surgeries. i think it would be very interesting, though. FWIW
littleflower

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Yeah, me too. But I wouldn't do it for just any artist.

Who was that photographer, maybe French, who took all those dwarf photos?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby nickn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:07 pm

I haven't drawn any model with serious injuries, but most artists do like variety, and many of the models I've drawn have been elderly or "overweight" (by typical model standards). Anyone is welcome to come by to model, there's no standard to meet.

There's also no standard on ability for the artists, everyone is welcome to draw. I'm still am a beginner myself. Started a few years ago but don't practice enough to improve much.
nickn

Postby littleflower » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:57 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Who was that photographer, maybe French, who took all those dwarf photos?

are you thinking of diane arbus? she shot dwarves, also giants, trannies, twins, and everything else.

another interesting project was hannah wilke's photo documentation of her fight with cancer. i think a lot of artists have explored injuries at some point in their career, although i am not coming up with specifics, somehow.
littleflower

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:04 am

No, earlier than her. Unless I am conflating two persons.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby littleflower » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:47 am

i figured you would know arbus ... i seem to remember something too, back in the cobwebs somewhere. the french did everything first, photography-wise ...
littleflower

Live Painting

Postby veleda » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 am

Acrylic is definitely best on the playa.

We have a number of people doing live painting in our camp which hosts a variety of visionary artists.

Feel free to come visit us or collaborate with painting!

www.evolutionarytemple.com
veleda

Re: Live Painting

Postby littleflower » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

veleda wrote:Acrylic is definitely best on the playa.

could you elaborate? i would think acrylics are terrible on the playa, because they dry so quickly ... but i am a noob. several have said "acrylics", but nobody has explained why acrylics are better than oils ... ?????

i would love to bring paints, but have decided to stick to drawing things ... i would love to be convinced otherwise .... i mean, really love it ... !
littleflower

Postby burningmayan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi!
I am a painter too and posted in the greeter section, introducing myself.
I will be painting in oils (acrylics i haven't used, but they dry so fast!) and would likewise be interested in linking with others with similar interests.
My phone is 315-529-7769.
Looking for some artists to camp with but it's kind of late for that.
I haven't painted on the playa yet but it should be fine; maybe alkyds rather than oils would be good since they dry faster; transporting fresh oil paintings is a bit dicey...
Certainly an easel umbrella...will shop at some Reno art supply store for some stuff, and bring the rest.
--Dave (burningmayan)
Contact me!
burningmayan

Postby burningmayan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:23 am

Hi Rebekah,
I'm going to paint at bm, and staying at the sacred spaces camp (at their satellite between C and D and 5 and 5:30, in a white yurt). Haven't painted at bm before. Will use oils and dust is fine, too!
See my post in the introduction section. 59 years old; 4th time at bm.
Dave
Contact me!
burningmayan

paiting

Postby Ding » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:58 am

Greetings all, The "Peoples Art Congress"presents for your approval The "Portraits of Dorian" an interactive art project that eagerly awaits your artistic enhancements.Paint(acrylic) and brushes provided or your welcome to use your own. Beware, Dorian isn't your every day pretty face !!!
Painting daily 10:00 A.M. till whenever
Located in the 3:00 Portal
Ding

Postby C187 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:14 pm

I'll be painting on the playa, but wont be using an easel since I like to paint horizontally. An idea for you, and an easel would be to add blocks of wood with holes drilled into them on the feet of the easel. Then place re-bar in said holes. That should keep it open and in place. For your canvas on the other hand, I would use those big old clamps to hold it in place.

For your paint and such, keep it all in one bag so you can find it with ease, and wrap your brushes together like you would a knife set. (just a suggestion) If your going to use water to clean your brushes, make sure that the bottle has a cap to it, and that you mark it with the words "paint water". Not so much for you, but for others that might try to take a drink of it.

Acrylic simply comes down to, in my mind, how fast it drys. Since you don't want to be half into a painting with oils and then get into a white out. Or maybe you do.. But paint with what you want, I say.

Hope that helps.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mars » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Once at a Temple Burn, there was a guy painting the burning temple in front of us. It was eerily beautiful to watch him painting the flames like they were modeling for him.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby mars » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Once at a Temple Burn, there was a guy painting the burning temple in front of us. It was eerily beautiful to watch him painting the flames like they were modeling for him.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Return to 2009 Art & Performance