Cheap, sustainable, untreated timber - where can I get some?

Cheap, sustainable, untreated timber - where can I get some?

Postby carefactornil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 pm

I'm having some alternative ideas about building my maze (see the other thread). Potentially out of 2x2 timber, making cubes.

So my question is, if I want a LOT of 2x2 (ideally in 5-6ft lengths or multiples of) where can I pick some up in Reno?

The keys for me are:

- Cheap
- Untreated (I assume this makes it cheaper and if we have to burn it, no chemicals)
- Sustainable - don't want to be taking it from some illegal Indonesia forest!

Any suggestions? I'm from the UK, hence not knowing what's the right place to go.
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Postby Badger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Your choices are probably limited in Reno. Any of the lager warehouse home supply centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). You might also look into checking freight haulers and warehouse facilities for used or discarded shipping crates . Though as mentioned you selection (length and width) might be limited.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby carefactornil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Does anyone know if you can get stuff like timber delivered to the BRC site? I'm just thinking if I did go down this path it's going to be a lot more timber than I can get in our RV, so I'm wondering how it would get to BRC.
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Postby wedeliver » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:01 pm

carefactornil wrote:Does anyone know if you can get stuff like timber delivered to the BRC site? I'm just thinking if I did go down this path it's going to be a lot more timber than I can get in our RV, so I'm wondering how it would get to BRC.

Yes, the lumber company that you arrange to purchase the lumber from will gladly deliver your purchase. There probably will be a charge because Gerlach is outside the "local" delivery area.

so, google, lumber, reno or sparks nv and call up someone and talk to them. They will be more then happy to quote you prices, delivered.
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Badger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Agreed. Expect to pay a premium charge. They may want/need you to subsidize the required cost of entry ticket to deliver the material. As long as delivery drivers are out of the event boundaries within a given amount of time their credit cards are not charged. You may want to check on that.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:48 pm

Isn't it pretty much true that sustainable timber isn't cheap and cheap timber isn't sustainable?

Although, if anybody has bamboo, that might do. Of course it would to better if it were already harvested, it would need some time to dry out, I suppose. But it's a fucking weed and if you were to take it off someone's hands they'd probably follow you home like a stray puppy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:08 am

Used lumber is usually cheap.

A clear-cut forest can be expensive in the log run. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Used lumber is usually cheap.

A clear-cut forest can be expensive in the log run. ;)

Nice freudian slip there.

Of course a clear cut forest can be expensive, but so long as we don't include resourse destruction as a cost, you are going to have to Scylla or Charybdis.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:49 am

theCryptofishist wrote:...but so long as we don't include resourse destruction as a cost...

We? ;)

Of course it was a pun, not a Freudian slip.
Ugly Dougly

Return to 2009 Art & Performance