Early entry?

Early entry?

Postby Myliatronic » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello!
I am hoping very strongly to find some way to snag 2 early entry passes for my boyfriend and myself, for saturday or sunday.

i realize they arent easy to come by, and i dont have a reason per se to want to go early. it will be my 5th year on the playa, and i really would like to watch (and help!) the city grow from before the gates open. its always such an amazing emotional thing to feel the city dissipate into nothing on monday/tuesday, and i am hoping to experience the other side of it. we are willing to trade work, dinner, or anything else you need (within reason). i know its a long shot but if anyone wants to help out, send me an email at myliabot@yahoo.com

thanks lovies :)
Myliatronic

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 pm

:lol: Wow... Ok. If you want to go early you best bet is to volunteer way earlier on. Or have gotten in with a larger camp.

The fact you mentioned "to watch" before you mentioned "and help too", makes me wonder...
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby Barbie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:11 pm

There is NO watching with an early entry pass- Be perpared to work Your Ass OFF! I'm no even kidding ONE little bit! Everyone who is On playa early is WORKING HARD! You may want to fill out an application and hope someone had to back out... Make sure you don't say you want to watch! Good LUck!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Badger » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Passes are associated with names and ID's.

It is very unlikely you will get in.

Stop trying to game the system and try waiting like everyone else.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Myliatronic » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:53 am

:lol: @ our phobia of the word 'watch', as if observing something automatically reduces one to a filthy spectator incapable of participating. i will be more careful with my wording next time. my interest here is in experiencing the trickling flow of people into the city infrastructure, feeling the energy build up from *before* the floodgates open. i am willing to work for the chance and fully understand it would be expected of me, but is it wrong to watch and feel what goes on around me in the process? i don't view asking about the possibility of early entry as 'gaming the system', i am only seeking an opportunity to experience another facet of our wonderful city's evolution (to stay on theme :wink: ) from dust to dream and back.

my first year (05), we got in midday sunday with no trouble, which was a great experience, and yes, i did indeed work my ass off, i was not sitting back sipping pina coladas. however, it being my first year, i was so overwhelmed that i didnt absorb much the first day. i knew things had become more restricted since then but not by how much, so i figured putting feelers out couldn't hurt. it looks like its not probable to swing getting a pass this late in the game, but it's worth trying, despite the disdainful replies. :wink: Thanks for the suggestions, if I don't hear back from any camps in need, I'll just shoot for early entry next year and let this one ride.
Myliatronic

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 am

Myliatronic wrote::lol: @ our phobia of the word 'watch', as if observing something automatically reduces one to a filthy spectator incapable of participating. i will be more careful with my wording next time.

Ugh... Ok well lets see. A 'phobia' first off is a persistent fear of things. How you applied 'phobia' to the word 'watch' in this instance is beyond me. I am talking about how you mentioned that you wanted to watch... and then help out. That is not a phobia. That is an annoyance that someone would ask for an early entrance to get in, just to watch... Oh yea, and participate.
:roll:
You don't need to be more careful with your wording. You just need to learn the definition of the words you use.

Sorry for snarking, I'm just saying... If you really want to help and watch the magic happen from dust back into dust, join a large camp, or better yet join one of the many teams that go out there weeks ahead of time and help set up the main infrastructure, and stay for weeks after to cleanup. Dont pot hoping to get a hookup on earlyentry to come nd watch and maybe help out...

Anyhow...
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby pinemom » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:34 am

Not to mention even us...go in early to work our asses off for YOU, havent even heard anything on Early passes....

Do yourself a favor...make it a priority to find a theme camp or a volunteer situation for NEXT year, This year. And dont ask for a E.Pass.....
Make yourself available to that situation all year and then you'll be on the E. pass list automatically!

This is not snark...this is truth based emotion.
We work our Butts off and lose 10 lbs doing it, and thats just in the first 24 hours.

Be careful what you wish for Sir.

Working that hard has its downfalls...like reeking a horrible incident that leaves you broken before the gates even open.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby lhyr » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 am

any oppertunity to tear someone down, hunh guys?

her first post, she said she didn't figure it'd happen this year, just that she wanted to voice the desire and see what happens. knit picking over phrasing implying that her perspective and desire is impure is a bunch of conjecture and just rude to someone who is reaching out. it's like the "we're all better than you and none of us were ever new at this" attitude, which doesn't ACTUALLY help anyone, and isn't true for most people. most of us didn't grow up in the desert surrounded by a party with a creeping madness all around and art coming out the wazoo (and even for those of us who did, BRC is still something to behold).

and isn't her reason for wanting to go early why we all go early, tho? to work and see the city come together? it just seems like a bunch of folks jumped down her throat because she didn't say it in a way they liked. the difference between potato and fuck you. although, if the crap storm had been about deciding she and her husband wanted to go early a scant month and a half before go time, i'd leave her to it: any theme camp that doesn't already have their early arrival folks picked out is probably not going to have much cohesion to it (i.e.: wouldn't be a good scene).

pinemom, thanks for giving her some good advice.

alternately, if you want, get a couple friends together with you and your husband and start planning your own theme camp for next year. it doesn't take much, just a tremendous amount of effort and a moderate amount of resources to pull together a humble little camp that, while it wouldn't have a fifty foot dome, can be really fun. hell: build a bar, give it a shade structure, stock it with the liquer you can afford, and get your neighbors drunk. it's how lots of Burners spend their time, and then at least you're dealing with people you know rather than the eplaya.

oh and simon, if you happen to read this, thanks for hardening up my attitude. idealism should be temered with realism.
lhyr

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:44 am

There is usually something that needs to be done and no one wants to do it.
It is much easier to get shifts once you have done the early thing before and actually done something.
I have actually been recruited for some jobs I haven't worked before.
At times people flake on shifts or burn out, get hurt, etc.
It has a lot to do with whether people think you can do the job.
Volunteer for things during the burn and you'll find it easy next year.

I volunteered for a heavy shift in media before my first burn.
They turned me down until I had done one burn.
Their mistake.
I don't have time for one focus anymore.
It would have worked out great for my first burn.

I don't know why I work out there.
I must be fucking nuts.
gyre

Postby Barbie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Your right Ihyr we do go early to watch our fair city go from Dust to Dust I was rude with my comment-
and I'm sorry Myliatronic - That me try again...
I do understand how exciting the prospect of going in early to the burn is- But be advised that everyone is working really really really hard ( there is a little time for play but - not much ) and that "THey" expect the same out of anyone who comes in early. If ya want to volunteer you fill out an application in the early spring with the BMORG and they pass it on to the different groups that need help. Be careful in your wording when you fill out application 'cause it may seem like they don't take that stuff into consideration - but it seems to me that they do... Its probaly a little late this year- but worth a try. Good Luck! And we will see You & Yours in the Dust! And please come by Blackie's Bar & Grill and have a drink 9:16 & kinship. And as another person wrote Becareful what you wish for! 'cause someone will put your ass to work!
Barbie

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Nobody is trying to tear anyone down. its just realistic. Pretty stupid to mention you want to go early to watch... and help.

That's all.
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:16 am

Hey I just got an email saying Playa Info Is still looking for peeps to go in early- You may want to check it Out!
Barbie

Playa Info Volunteering

Postby saltysugar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:34 pm

[quote="Barbie"]Hey I just got an email saying Playa Info Is still looking for peeps to go in early- You may want to check it Out![/quote]

Hi Barbie, would you mind sharing the email? I've checked burningman.com and can't find what Playa Info specifically still needs this late in the game. Thank you!
-Unico
saltysugar

Burning Since: 2005

Postby dvd-r » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:50 pm

I don't think someone will share email without permisison of the sender.

Did you fill out a volunteer form? Did you email playa info?

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... vices.html

PLAYA INFO
Everyone needs a little help sometimes. Maybe you're looking for your best friend's camp. Or you've got a flat tire and need to find a pump. Or you're just curious to know what time the Opera starts on Friday night. Fret no more! Head straight for the hub of Black Rock City and you'll find a helpful crew and a wealth of resources.

Playa Info is located at Center Camp and 1:00, and is open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm throughout the event. (Unless otherwise posted)

At Playa Info you'll find:

•Oracles who will help answer questions about theme camp placement, events, and volunteering, enlighten you with their profound wisdom, and help you locate just about anything you need within the vast resources of Black Rock City
•Directory. You can use the Playa Info computers to register yourself and your camp location or to look up your friend's exact Black Rock City address. Via the online Directory, you can leave messages for friends to let them know where you're camped and even find and post event schedules, ride shares, and other services. Sorry, no Internet access
•Found items. Lost something and want to find it? Found something and want to lose it? Turn in found items to Playa Info to be reunited with their owners.
•Burning Man Information Radio. Tune in throughout the event for public service announcements, event info, and other news.
•Playa Bulletin Boards. Bulletin Boards are always available for artful posting of events, messages and general information.
•Volunteer Resources. Want to volunteer your time and energy for Black Rock City? Sign up at the Volunteer Resources desk and contribute to your community.
Volunteer

Playa Info volunteers wanted! If you enjoy guiding the wayward and enlightening the perplexed, then consider volunteering for Playa Info. For details, email PlayaInfo(at)burningman(dot)com.

Oracles

Our Oracles are well-versed on any topic relating to Black Rock City or Burning Man events. We offer answers and advice to those seekers who need the most up-to-date info on where to find such things as bike repair stations, theme camps, porta-potties, and medical services. If your quest is of a less practical nature, your esoteric questions will be met with equally esoteric answers. So be prepared for some noble discourse with BRC citizens from around the world.

If you've got a bit of Oracle in your blood (and we're not talking software here), then consider volunteering with Playa Info. Please indicate this on question #14 of our Volunteer Questionnaire or contact PlayaInfo(at)burningman(dot)com for more information.

Directory

The Directory is a computerized, organized listing of theme camps, individual camps, individuals, and their location on the playa. Maybe you're looking for directions to The Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro or you sort of heard about this cool camp that started with a "V". Stop by and use the Directory to consult the official map of Black Rock City. Our friendly crew can also give you ideas of where to visit next. Or equally important, they can help you register your own camp so the Burning Man community knows where to find you.

The Directory is also the place to leave messages for those friends who you haven't seen in a year, or that guy or gal you met last night. Let your friends know where you are camped, specify your plans for the night, arrange a rendezvous, or report on your latest adventure.

You can also post messages for Ride Shares on the directory, whether you’re looking for a ride or offering one and need some companionship and gas money for the drive home.

If you love computers and alphabetical order, consider volunteering with the Directory. Please indicate this on question #14 of our Volunteer Questionnaire, or contact PlayaInfo(at)burningman(dot)com for more information.

Volunteer Resources

Should you feel the call to participate during the event, Playa Info is also the center for volunteer opportunities in Black Rock City. Just stop by our Volunteer Resources Desk and sign up to help with your community.
why
dvd-r

Return to 2009 Art & Performance