Band on the Run

Band on the Run

Postby swampdog » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:42 am

I'm considering bringing a gift/participation opportunity/music project I'm calling "Band on the Run." I have a battery operated small amp, plus guitar, electronic drum kit (Yamaha YDD60), cheap old casio keyboard, battery operated mixer, some mics. I'm thinking of loading this all up in a wagon and hauling it around looking for impromptu groups (or individuals) to play some music.

Is this crazy? If you're a musician and you wandered by and I asked you to join up with some strangers (or friends) (or solo) and play something, would you?

Or would I just end up hauling a heavy wagon around the playa getting tired and sad?
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:47 am

Just do it !!!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 am

Yes!!!!!.... Strolling minstrels are one of my favorites to run across out there!!!!! :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby marcgorcey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:09 am

Ask for Marc and Hillary at The Lost Penguin and you will have 2 new members and friends 4 life...
marcgorcey

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 pm

I will play your guitar and sing beautifully! (or terribly if i've had too much to drink...) I would love to run into you!

you should put it all in a bike trailer and power it with an electric bike motor. then you will not get tired and sad :D
trystanthegypsy

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty well set on this. Trystan, I'm not so worried about tired, and I'd be sad only if nobody wants to play.
swampdog

Re: Band on the Run

Postby like2play » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:43 am

[quote="swampdog"]I'm considering bringing a gift/participation opportunity/music project I'm calling "Band on the Run." I have a battery operated small amp, plus guitar, electronic drum kit (Yamaha YDD60), cheap old casio keyboard, battery operated mixer, some mics. I'm thinking of loading this all up in a wagon and hauling it around looking for impromptu groups (or individuals) to play some music.

Is this crazy? If you're a musician and you wandered by and I asked you to join up with some strangers (or friends) (or solo) and play something, would you?

Or would I just end up hauling a heavy wagon around the playa getting tired and sad?[/quote]

This is so cool. Your post motivated me to go now. I was not sure, but now that you posted this cool idea, I am getting excited about joining. Would you consider some mp3 exchange of music, or are you planning for a completely impromptu show?
thanks for this cool idea.
like2play
like2play

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:08 pm

My thought is completely impromptu jams. I will have an mp3 player hookup, my thought for that piece is more karaoke - if I get a singer but no strummers, or partial band that needs a little oomph or extra structure I'll have some karaoke tracks I can play to get the ball rolling. I'm really open to whatever happens though. I'll probably record most of what happens. I don't really want to be a roaming recorded music player - there's enough of that already.
swampdog

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:10 pm

and - thank you very much. Your feedback is REALLY encouraging to me! It makes me feel great that I helped you decide to go.
swampdog

Postby like2play » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:11 pm

[quote="swampdog"]My thought is completely impromptu jams. I will have an mp3 player hookup, my thought for that piece is more karaoke - if I get a singer but no strummers, or partial band that needs a little oomph or extra structure I'll have some karaoke tracks I can play to get the ball rolling. I'm really open to whatever happens though. I'll probably record most of what happens. I don't really want to be a roaming recorded music player - there's enough of that already.[/quote]

Cool. My idea of the mp3 exchange was primarily to try to rehearse, or get to know different styles. I am not sure you want to keep a tally of people signing up for that, but if you were, that would be great so those of us that would like to have some discussions prior to the event, it would be great.
But again, if your plan is to do an impromptu thing, that would be awesome as well! Any music style preferred? Rock? Blues? Are you going to be playing as well?
like2play

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:16 pm

It's a pretty low level thing - don't know if any serious groups would want to 'book time'. My battery amp is a roland street - the kind of thing you would want if you were busking.

I personally have little musical talent. I can sing reasonably well, but I collect musical instruments and toys in the hope that one day I'll find the magical thing that unlocks the music within.

I see myself as more of an instigator.

Here's kind of the scenario that I imagine - "Hey, excuse me, are you a musician? What do you play? Want to play some now for the playa? How about you? We've got a guitarist, can you sing a little or play keyboards? What do you guys want to play, a little 12 bar blues to warm up? hey, any drummers in the house?"

as far as style? Whatever the playa provides.

My biggest worries are, 1) people won't want to play 2) it's harder than I as a non-musician imagine for a random group of people to make anything fun completely impromptu.
swampdog

Postby like2play » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I got the idea. I share your concern, and that is why I got so excited to see someone willing to instigate something like that. I will bring along my stuff (although I read many people saying that the desert will damage your instruments), and we'll see!
like2play

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:40 pm

swampdog wrote:My biggest worries are, 1) people won't want to play 2) it's harder than I as a non-musician imagine for a random group of people to make anything fun completely impromptu.

Yea, maybe, some places.... but you'd be surprised...... at least, in my experience..... Spend some time in both populated areas and less populated areas..... It's the random-ness that makes this sound so very kewl to me!!!.... Have fun with it!......... :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Deb Prothero » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Just love the idea of random minstrels traveling about the playa. Last year we had a choir drop round to our camp singing old folk tunes. It was a huge hit.

Live music is always a relief from the thump-thump.

Be sure to drop round the Black Rock Beacon newspaper camp, we appreciate music while we're putting together the newspaper. And we have bacon.
Deb Prothero

Postby DOOK MAGNUS » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:50 am

Putting your efforts into a project like this will have a huge payoff for you (and anyone else involves or nearby)I'm sure!
If I run into you, I'll be sure to jump in and rock out!!
Love the Idea!!
DOOK MAGNUS

Postby lilsrra » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:21 pm

I'd definitely jump on the drums if I saw you passing by! Awesome idea. I agree that live music is a relief from the thump thump from everywhere else. One of my fondest memories from last year was happening upon a live band playing that was really good!
lilsrra

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks for all your great comments. Hope I can find you all at some point during the week!
swampdog

Postby skygnome777 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:15 pm

I'd join in!
Peace, love, intellectual stimulation, and good times!
skygnome777

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:06 pm

I think this is so very cool. Thanks in advance!
Elorrum

Band on the Run

Postby SINdy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Tremendous idea ! If you wander out around 8:30 and Esplanade, you will encounter folks from the Burning Band. We are camped at Spanky's Wine Bar, and I suspect we'd love to surround your venue and jam with whomever else shows up. Best of luck and hope we see you ! SINdy
SINdy

Postby ChillyFire » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:45 am

yea i'm most definately down to jam, just gimme anything to drum on and we'll have a blast :D
Infinite Ripples Of Space And Time
Running Through My Mind...
ChillyFire

Postby swampdog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:17 pm

SINdy - 8:30 and esplanade, I'll be there.

My target for camp is going to be around 7 & Extinct. I'm thinking of putting my playa name, Swampdog, on the side of my shade structure in big orange letters.

Chillyfire, Elorrum, Skygnome - hope to find you out there somewhere!
swampdog

Postby SINdy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Cool, Swampdog ! Your idea sounds so very much fun. Hope you get lots and lots of interaction out there, and that we will meet.
xoxo, SINdy
SINdy

Postby ChillyFire » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:22 am

Awesome swampdog. ill try and swing by your camp at some point as well!
Infinite Ripples Of Space And Time
Running Through My Mind...
ChillyFire

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:17 am

Alright Swampdog! I'm wating to receive by mail an endpin jack for my travel guitar. I made a pickup out of a little piezo speaker. Combining that with a small amp/speaker, and perhaps a multi effects box... I'll wander by.
Elorrum

Postby dubbroc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:59 am

Thats totally awesome. I will be looking for you, i'm putting together a small battery amp for my electric guitar so I'm ready to jam out.
A man who makes a beast of himself takes the fear out of being a man. - Fear and Loathing
dubbroc

Postby zachass » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:52 pm

I have very little musical training and can't really play an instrument well, but this thread reminds me of this one time....

It was at work, and it was someone's birthday. Myself and 3 other people just randomly, out of the blue, started singing Happy Birthday and by the end of it we totally ended up in barbershop quartet territory. It was amazing.

THAT is something I'd jump into in a heartbeat. I love this idea.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it actually works
zachass

Postby Elorrum » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Yes, Swampdog. I hope you come out with version 2.0 this year. It was such fun having a prototype wander with you.
Elorrum

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:02 pm

There are pee-lenty of MVs with canned music. A few run live music, and they are a hit. If you are a musician, maybe you can team up with someone who has a MV that you can ride around on?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to 2009 Art & Performance