30,000 WATTS OF BASS (bagend) seeks a home - your camp? =)

Do you have BASS at your camp this year?!?

No
36%
Yes
18%
What day is it?
45%

Total votes : 11

Postby 303jewels » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:53 am

Hey Nueronaut

I am sorry that your thread has gone sideways. When I signed up to eplaya to ask a few questions they too went completely sideways. Like yourself I too intend to bring sound equipment out. I like your spirit man, dont be put off by what people have said on hear - just do it. Personally I'm intrigued to know what your definition of 'tasteful electronic music' is - sounds like you might have a bit of soul and know your stuff?

Hey JACKITUP - ''Kevin Saunderson, Mayday, Francois K, Ben Sims, Juan Atkins'' - you certainly know your stuff !!!!!!!!! THIS is what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!
Lots of people can mix, THESE GUYS do something else!!!!! - real talent.
Anyone who doesn't consider this to be ART is simply not LISTENING. I honestly dont knock anyones preffered genre of electronic music, its just that there are intricate elements in productions from guys like this that really do enable you to 'let go', we're talking real dance rhythms, devastatingly soulful stuff yet totally pounding, its called Techno music and has absolutely no relation to your typical oontz oontz that is everywhere on the playa. Real Techno music will let you experience the 'groove', appreciate the fine art of 'timing'. Techno REPRESENTS the understanding of music, and thats why it effects you mentally and physically - much more to it than headbanging! real Techno is beautiful!!!Carefully and patiently constructed so as to stimulate.

Don't get me started on the spirit of proper House music! House is about being in Heaven too! Check out Larry Heard - genius!

I am realising now that this music is just not getting played at BM !!!! (I have a good source!) I'm really amazed by this - its totally bizzarre! I actually can't fucking believe it!!!!!! Its like having a Ferrari but no petrol!

Call me an 'Old Raver', Guess that you Jackitup are one too.

Would like to say that we are far from stereotypical, - theres not that many of 'us' still about.

I Understand there are many aspects to BM and music is only one of them. I feel BM is missing out on something in the music department. Fuck it! I'll say it.....''I know it''.

Funk is one thing!

I think its time to rock the house.
Timeless motion..........
303jewels

Postby littleflower » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:54 am

is anyone really suggesting that mixing can't be art? anyone can do it, perhaps ... but of course it can reach a higher level .... doesn't mean it always does.

my own comment was in response to this:

so it seems, that the participants of burning man culture have been brainwashed as to what exactly is to be an acceptable form of "art".
is it things we can place in a museum or gallery? things which take shape and form? what music do we consider "art"? classical? jazz? what year is the cut-off point of "music as art"??? WHO IS TO SAY??? your parents? your media? your teachers?

the whole relativity thing gets to me ... if art is relative, then everything is potentially art ... and, therefore, nothing is.

just clarifying ...
littleflower

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:55 am

The greeks did it all first anyhow.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby littleflower » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:27 am

yeah, maybe ... but wouldn't it be boring if we stopped trying to top them ... :)

i say, do what ya wanna do ... and don't worry whether or not it's "art" ...
littleflower

Postby Token » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Taco Boy has been walking the streets of BRC with his dick in a taco for years. To him it is art.

What were we talking about here?
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby 303jewels » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey Pretty Littleflower.
Someone DID say 'mixing' is not an art!.

Beatmixing is easy, mixing is different, few people can really do it.

Teknoid is saying that perhaps BM has been brainwashed as to what art is. Negative vibes flow deep too!!!!!! And are unfortunately more seductive than positive ones. Teknoid has a passion that I completely understand re: music being the finest art form. I certainly am sticking up for a lost musical vibe that is simply destined for the playa! I dont get your 'relativity' comment, I'm talking about a dimension in sound that it is unlikely to have crossed your wavelength. Techno people only want to share this with others. We are not elitist and are the epitome of 'no ego' - us 'old ravers' know something you probably dont. Think Teknoid is just saying be a little bit open minded!

Does BM really 'kick'?

This is the techno thread.

Is anybody out there?

As for one eyed dick and the greeks 'doing it all first anyway', sorry cock - you weren't there so you dont know that.

Lots and lots of love again. Roland TB 303.
303jewels

Postby teknoid » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:20 pm

littleflower wrote:the whole relativity thing gets to me ... if art is relative, then everything is potentially art ... and, therefore, nothing is.

i think you pretty much hit it on the nail. everything IS potentially art, AND potentially ISN'T! sorry, black and white newtonian thinking is out; "it is art" and "it is not art" is meaningless. what makes something art is pretty much the fact that we slap a label on it, and convince some people to agree with us on "what it is". unfortunately, since everything in the world relates to something else, you are not going to get around relativity. so, your poop is potentially art. i am sure some dada guys have already pulled that off; it's probably an old hat.
teknoid

Re: 30,000 WATTS OF BASS (bagend) seeks a home - your camp?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:31 pm

neuronaut wrote:Hi there!

ME:
I'm a seasoned BM resident with an amazing sound system, a big heart, and the desire to get myself to burningman to contribute beautiful experiences!

You sound like you're full of love.
Ugly Dougly

Postby littleflower » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:56 pm

303jewels, your passion is intoxicating, and i hope to find you on the playa and hear what you are so passionate about ... will you let me know if you find it?

i also hope to enjoy taco boy... i love creativity and absurdity more than anything else ... it's what draws me to burning man.

but for me, art perseveres... so what is "art" in current day life is not necessarily knowable, even for someone who knows art upside down and backwards. if we love something, it is just our opinion, and valuable as such ... but only to us.

defining art as "anything and everything" demeans it, IMO.

dada worked because it was first ... calling a poop art now is derivative. only taco boy can call what he does art, anyone else would just be copying. but is it art, really? who knows .... who cares .... let's just have some fun ....:D

ps ... i struggle with this as an artist ... it's a question that often keeps me from painting .... so please don't think i am attacking anyone other than myself ...
littleflower

Postby ibdave » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Token wrote:Taco Boy has been walking the streets of BRC with his dick in a taco for years. To him it is art.

What were we talking about here?

Was that a Hard Taco or Soft Taco?? When he wanders into our camp he always ask what do we want... He's Nice like that.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

I've never seen him with anything but a hard Taco.

303jewels wrote:
This is the techno thread.

No it's not, this is a thread about someone that is trying to violate the TOS regardless
of what the moderator already told him and now it has gone sideways .

This is the techno thread

viewtopic.php?t=28477

As for one eyed dick and the greeks 'doing it all first anyway', sorry cock - you weren't there so you dont know that.

You're right, I wasn't there, and neither were you, but I paid attention in history class,
and the Greeks did it all first, from sound amplification to flamethrowers and pyrothechnics,
the only thing we have on them is the availability of electricity and artificial light to work with.
There is of course nothing wrong with trying to emulate them or even trying to improve on what they already did.

and my name is not "Cock" , it's Dick, although I am sure I could intoduce you to Big Cock if you would like......

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby 303jewels » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:45 am

I wrote
''This is the Techno thread''
I meant to write
''Where is the Techno thread''
Silly Jules - he was a little drunk at the time! Sorry.

Hmmm.......
Is there a Techno thread?
Is there a House thread?

Art for me is the passion, mind and drive that one has and not necessarily about what one creates. It is the individual themself that stuns me - the admiration of someone. I think there are a lot of aspects that make for genuine talent, I think that you have them or not. I feel integrity is one of those aspects.
I have a friend who is a sculptor, jawdroppingly amazing - seriously! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if one day that I just dropped down dead upon seeing his latest 'thing', I simply cannot comprehend how he does it!! for me the 'not being able to comprehend' is the art.

Littleflower. I will bring a little soundsystem out next year, will be playing sickeningly sexy, funky, soulful and downright groovy pumping 'proper' dance music. From what I can tell I think some of you will find it quite refreshing, I hope so... I'll be risking my savings!!
303jewels

Postby 303jewels » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 am

[quote="littleflower"]303jewels, your passion is intoxicating,

[/quote]

What a lovely thing to say.
303jewels

Postby Stickygreen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am

well this thread is like most threads on eplaya lately, completely derailed....

i just wanted to say, so what if the guy wanted to ask for some cash to bring his system to the playa, it's not an aesy tast to haul all that gear from who knows where, and it's expensive. Just cause some people, form a sound camp, and get it done, thats great. Obvously this guy dosen't know many people going to the burn this year or he wouldn't be posting an offer like this on eplaya. just offering his sound syswtem is a BIG gift, and maybe someone is interested? don't shoot him cause he asked...

to put things in perspective own a really large projector, it cost me about $65 per hour to have it running, including fuel for the generator. I did offer it as a gift including operating expenses to some people I know and had worked with before, but that was in my opinion a very generous offer. and if I was working with people I had just met off eplaya, I might not be so forth coming with the generosity... but just bringing a machine like that to the desert is something.....

from my perspective, he could be making a genuine offer of a gift. just not the complete package.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:02 pm

The point is ... this is the eplaya and asking for cash violates the terms of service. Of course it costs money to bring such a system to the playa, and as a moderator, I directed him to the appropriate forums to do so. He could have asked anywhere but here.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:41 pm

teknoid wrote:
littleflower wrote:the whole relativity thing gets to me ... if art is relative, then everything is potentially art ... and, therefore, nothing is.
so, your poop is potentially art. i am sure some dada guys have already pulled that off; it's probably an old hat.
Duchamp did his first urinal in the thirties and it took about thirty or forty years for it to move to actual shit, I think.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdlLBWymnUA[/youtube]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:51 pm

If you don't think that poop can be art, have a conversation with GG Allin.

Nevermind.... he killed himself.
oneeyeddick

Postby Finnegan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm
glad
that we're
going to decide
what 'Art' is here.

That'll be nice.
For the next
word to
figger
out,

I nominate 'Game'.

Is this post 'Art'?
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:20 pm

You post
Looks like
A pair of tits
as seen through
these boob colored
sunglasses-eseseseses.
oneeyeddick

Postby littleflower » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 pm

littleflower

Postby littleflower » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 pm

sorry ... i couldn't help it ....

odd nerdrum is such an amazing painter ....
littleflower

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 am

Does this mean that the Boobie Bar will be replaced by the Poopy Bar this year? :?
Ugly Dougly

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 am

Commerce is Commerce, so M dumps the original post (which i have read) and its an add to pay for sound services pure and simple. Our TOS wont allow commerce of any type, we have asked BMORG if they will allow a commerce section on eplaya and "a resounding NO" was the answer.

BM owns this site and AntiM and I amongst others dump ads for crap every day.

I have dumped ads for tents. generators, vacation packages, life insurance, vitamins, financial services. penis enlargment, penis shrinking, sound systems, costumery, and every myriad of BM product created. M dumps 10 times as much as I can, and I dump a lot - so she must be dumping like a dumptruck.

In addition the drama many of you dont see behind the scenes is pretty overwhelming with Eplayans threatening harm to others, and trying to get a moderator in the middle.

Its simple, the only thing you can sell here (for reimbursement only) is tickets and a ride or two. Rarely will we let a book or event advertise here, and thats a grey area at best.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 am

You missed the really good week, 007! And I had (have) the flu too, for extra fun.

Hack cough cough , all over the board. I'm positive my laptop has a virus. Touch it, I dare you.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks for getting rid of all of the penis shrinking ads.

* shudders *
oneeyeddick

Previous

Return to 2009 Art & Performance