Flight over BRC

Flight over BRC

Postby we0ne » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:21 pm

HI all,

Does anyone know who to contact about the plane rides over BRC? I know they have happened in past years. We were too last in 'o6 to get a seat, hoping for this year.

Thanks
Skyneedle
" Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank
we0ne

Re: Flight over BRC

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:57 pm

we0ne wrote:HI all,

Does anyone know who to contact about the plane rides over BRC? I know they have happened in past years. We were too last in 'o6 to get a seat, hoping for this year.

Thanks
Skyneedle

It's a tough deal to get a ride at BRC airport. I do know they have a lottery and they do on occasion accept beggars. They are more inclined if you have something to trade. The weather has to also be in their favor. I'd show up at the airport early in the week and post a bulletin on the board asking for a flight. I received a flight several years back but it was a rare opportunity. I would also suggest not flying with someone who is new to flying in the desert. Most pilots are not trained for this and there has been several plane crashes at the airport as well as really bad landings.
DoriumLux

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 pm

The best thing to do to get a ride on a plane at BRC is to volunteer at the air port... If you don't have the time or energy for that -then the next best way is to SHOW UP EARLY in the morning at the AIRPORT - LIKE sunrise, You can also try to bring Gas- Make sure its the highest octain... Ken at Burning Skys is nice you can always try bugging, begging him... -Factual is really nice also. GOOD LUCK! nothing more COOL than seeing BRC from the AIR!! You can see WE live in a Star!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:49 pm

The first time I went up was in 2003 and Dragonfly was our pilot. I offered him $50 and two bottles of wine (don't get me started about this nothing for sale BS, it costs a lot of money to fly a plane and the very least we can do is pay for the fuel), and the deal was done. I would however adjust for inflation.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby scotto » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:59 am

we0ne wrote: Does anyone know who to contact about the plane rides over BRC? I know they have happened in past years.

http://burningsky.org/
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!
scotto

Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby Sham » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:04 am

scotto wrote:
we0ne wrote: Does anyone know who to contact about the plane rides over BRC? I know they have happened in past years.

http://burningsky.org/

ken@burningsky.org will get you to the right person. If flights are available, he can set you up.
Sham

flight over playa

Postby SFMike » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm

SFMike

Postby we0ne » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Thanks very much for the info. I am trying to set up a flight for my son who will be turning 7 at this years burn.
" Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank
we0ne

Postby Finnegan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:23 am

Have you read your ticket? How well do you know the pilot?

Sorry, I know a person who was supposed to be on a flight that crashed and killed all aboard. I wouldn't go up for a pleasure cruise; the winds can be tricksy.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:36 am

FINNEGAN! do not interfere with the evolutionary process.

let darwin decide.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby falk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:56 am

Barbie wrote:The best thing to do to get a ride on a plane at BRC is to volunteer at the air port... If you don't have the time or energy for that -then the next best way is to SHOW UP EARLY in the morning at the AIRPORT - LIKE sunrise, You can also try to bring Gas- Make sure its the highest octain... Ken at Burning Skys is nice you can always try bugging, begging him... -Factual is really nice also. GOOD LUCK! nothing more COOL than seeing BRC from the AIR!! You can see WE live in a Star!

Mostly good advice, except for the gas part. Most airplanes take 100 octane aviation gas and it's unlikely that you'd be able to find some to bring with you, and even more unlikely that a pilot would accept gas from a stranger that they don't know where it's been.

Airport volunteers get priority, but don't join unless you really want to work at the airport. Gifts & bribes might help, but not as much as you'd think -- pilots aren't doing it for the swag.
falk

Postby DoriumLux » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:19 pm

falk wrote:
Barbie wrote:The best thing to do to get a ride on a plane at BRC is to volunteer at the air port... If you don't have the time or energy for that -then the next best way is to SHOW UP EARLY in the morning at the AIRPORT - LIKE sunrise, You can also try to bring Gas- Make sure its the highest octain... Ken at Burning Skys is nice you can always try bugging, begging him... -Factual is really nice also. GOOD LUCK! nothing more COOL than seeing BRC from the AIR!! You can see WE live in a Star!

Mostly good advice, except for the gas part. Most airplanes take 100 octane aviation gas and it's unlikely that you'd be able to find some to bring with you, and even more unlikely that a pilot would accept gas from a stranger that they don't know where it's been.

Airport volunteers get priority, but don't join unless you really want to work at the airport. Gifts & bribes might help, but not as much as you'd think -- pilots aren't doing it for the swag.

Do airport volunteers include people volunteering to join the mile high club? The bulletin at the airport is always riddled with several requests from pilots and I have noticed the more scantily dressed you are (granted you are female) the better your chances are of getting a "ride."
DoriumLux

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

take an Alaska Airlines flight from Portland to Las Vegas...They fly just west of BRC and over Pyramid Lake.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 pm

EspressoDude wrote:take an Alaska Airlines flight from Portland to Las Vegas...They fly just west of BRC and over Pyramid Lake.

Did just that coupla years ago...happened to be LAS to SEA...same airway. Now that I think about it the cabin crew had their eyes on me as I scooted from one side of the aircraft to the other when I realized where we were...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:15 am

first time, I asked the pilot to point it out. We looked at his chart and I showed him the place. Must of thought about D.B.Cooper...

Announced it on the P.A.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Return to 2009 Art & Performance