art car help

art car help

Postby sugarpux » Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm

The point is, I have no idea how to actually build an art car. I'm lookin for some insight. I have been presented with a utility quad that I would like to turn into a pig (though not permanently). My question is about materials. I've been told to make the main skeleton out of rebar, but that seems a little over-sturdy to me.
anyway, I was thinking of something simple. skeleton with fabric over it, basically.
and what about the pig head? I cant use rebar for that.
sugarpux

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun May 31, 2009 9:51 pm

Chicken wire and automotive fiberglass might do the trick for the shell, and you might try using angle iron to fasten it to the base. Sounds ambitious to be starting this late in the game. Why not volunteer to help somebody with their art car this year, then apply your new found skills to the 2010 burn?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Oldguy » Sun May 31, 2009 10:03 pm

I humbly suggest fusalage shape like WWI Observation Balloon. Think vertical plywood cutout circles with horizontal 2x2 ribs and fabric streched over the frame. A general balloon shape with feet and snout attached should work. I used to make balsa wood gliders when I was a boy. Use recycled wood, plywood, and found items to build and just burn it up on one of the many burn platforms. Hinge half for a DeLorian door. Check DMV,s guidelines. Has application deadline passed?
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby gyre » Sun May 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Unless it has to travel on the road, it only has to stand up to the wind.
Don't forget lighting for night use.
A wire frame may work well for internal lighting.
Rebar is overkill.

Do what works for you best.
gyre

Postby AntiM » Sun May 31, 2009 10:25 pm

Registration for mutant vehicles is open until June 30th. Better get moving on the paperwork, or your pig won't fly.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Sun May 31, 2009 11:01 pm

Save the quad for somewhere other than Burning Man. Doing an art car in compliance with Burning Man rules is too much of a headache, unless you know whose dick to suck.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Hay Bob, we've known one another for awhile, whose dick would you suggest?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Sham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Any type of respectable art car takes a year to design and build. There are new rules for art cars on the playa and you should read up on it before you spend time on something that might not get a license.

Your car should be a well made specticle for all to enjoy. If you have a vehicle that can carry passengers, that would be a big plus. What's been happening over the years is that camps have been making blandly decorated art cars and expecting to use them as transportation for their camp and campmates. This is why the rules are now getting painfully strict and cars are showing up to be licensed and getting turned down.

I have seen some very pissed people who expected their car to get a sticker to drive and have been turned down. Most of the unhappy campers didn't have bikes because they expected to be driven around.

If you are making an art car, make it incredible and make sure that it benefits the entire community.
Sham

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Hay Bob, we've known one another for awhile, whose dick would you suggest?

Snicker snicker~~
MozyBonz

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:02 am

I have built several art cars. Where do you live?

For an easy shape like a pig you could go with PVC, this has flex and cuts down significantly on weight.

What the prior folks have said is true, it is late to be planning this, you had better have a lot of time available and some friends.

Dr. Galaxo Magic
Galaxo Magic

Return to 2009 Art & Performance