Where have all the LIVE Music Stages gone???

Where have all the LIVE Music Stages gone???

Postby Lantz Lazwell » Tue May 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Wow, this is a bit scary.... I've been searching this Site for any signs of Live Music Stages, and Live Music Performances, but the outcome is quite bleak. I've been reading other bands posting from as early as Feb 09', and still there is little word of any Live Music Stages (The Golden Cafe, and Center Camp seem to be the only options!).... Have the D.J.'s officially taken over BRC!!!!!
It's not that I don't like breakbeats, Jungle and Dub-Step.... It's just sad to see a community once flourishing in Art and Music of all kinds, get reduced to a techno, Rave, Blinky Light dance party every corner you turn. Burningman to me is whatever you want it to be, its a choose your own adventure live story book. But without Live music, i feel like my favorite pages just got ripped out!!!! I hope im wrong (and often are), but i have seen no evidence on this site to the contrary.... but im hoping this post will change that!!!! So I urge you to write your responses... Let me know what you feel, and or have heard... Cause i really wanna know.....
WHERE HAVE ALL THE LIVE MUSIC STAGES GONE???

TO ALL OTHER LIVE MUSIC PERFORMERS LOOKING FOR VENUES... I JUST MAY END UP PUTTING UP A STAGE MYSELF... I'M APPART OF THE FIXXXATION STATION THEME CAMP (WE HAVE HOSTED LIVE MUSIC SHOWCASES IN THE PAST) MY EMAIL IS BELOW, PLEASE CONTACT ME IF U WOULD LIKE TO PLAY OR IF U CAN HELP US CREATE A STAGE IN ANY WAY (building materials, sound equipment, or labor). I am also looking to play any other Live music stages you may know of in BRC, please contact my booking Agent - paulevans7777@yahoo.com

keep it close...
Love and Light,
Lantz lazwell

to listen to my music or view my Bio click on the links below
http://www.sonicbids.com/LantzLazwell
http://www.myspace.com/lantzlazwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOmbQOjYXQ (video with George Clinton)
Lantz Lazwell

Postby Musik » Tue May 19, 2009 6:52 pm

I am a dj but definitely more power to having live music out there!! We have seriously been lacking some good live funk! And everything else of course!
Musik

Postby Lantz Lazwell » Tue May 19, 2009 7:58 pm

no offense to any D.J.'s..... I love what you do too.... Music is my soul... I just don't want to see the death of Live Music at Burning Manit.... i know there is a lot of attributing factors-

1. its alot of work to get a whole band to drop everything and come to BM ( a d.J. just has to bring himself and records)

2. musical instruments (guitars, bass, drums) are easily ruined in such a harsh environment.

3. and its a little more involved to bring a sound system for Bands. (Its harder to mix several musicians, and make it sound good, as opposed to one turntable, each D.J. pretty much has the same set-up)

but all this has not stopped us in the past...I urge all you lovers of Live music... Help us push on!!!!
Love and Light,
Lantz lazwell

Lantz Lazwell

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu May 21, 2009 4:44 pm

They take them down every year. Else they'd be moop.
Marscrumbs

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 am

It's the lack of live performers, not "stages" that you're noticing.

On the plus side, it's never too late to learn accordion or even the banjo.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dato » Fri May 22, 2009 11:25 am

Funny you mention that. I've felt that way for a few years, so, last year, I set up a stage and offered it up for people to play. We were on a plaza, with lots of foot traffic, and the stage was connected to our bar, which as I had predicted was rather hoppin. Had a decent PA with a mixing board to plug into, extra mics, even a house drum set.

I advertised here, on craigslist and elsewhere for MONTHS before the burn. I was really looking to have a couple bands a night come and rock out. I got responses, figured out the bands equipment and other needs, got scheduling sorted, made sure everything was in order, and headed out to the playa.

3 bands actually showed up to play, Man bless their hearts. The temple Bhajan band, GravyBrain and Dynasty Electric came and all kicked MAJOR ass. Much thanks to them!!!

Everyone else flaked, one way or another. A few bands just didn't show. Some showed to talk things over and make sure all was in order, but didn't show up to play. Now, I can't blame them. One band last a drummer to the playa. Another a singers voice to playa dust. A third didn't see each other at all the whole week. .....playa happens. :)

I fully agree with Ugly Dougly - it's not the lack of stages, it's the lack of bands that play on them.

If you DO set up a stage, however, make sure to contact GravyBrain and Dynasty Electic! Gravybrain is a ROCKIN funk/jam band that just spews energy! Dynasty is kick ass electro/rock outfit from new york that will be making their second trip out to the playa this year, and are not to be missed!
Dato

Postby Finnegan » Sun May 24, 2009 8:33 pm

You've got a little under 4 months to learn an instrument. I encourage you to do so and perform..

Live music on the playa is a special treat! And I hope I find some this year! But the rule is, Don't bring anything to the playa that you value. Most musical instruments fall into that category, unfortunately.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Gravybrain » Mon May 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey Dato,

Thanks for the kind words, Gravybrain loved playing at the moonshine and we are heading back to the playa this year with the whole band + again and are open to playing any stage, anyone have a stage they need a 6 piece live fusion/funk band?
Gravybrain

Postby pinemom » Tue May 26, 2009 8:29 am

Hey there GravyBrain...we dont have any major type amplification, but we bring out our "packing trailer" and once it has been emptied we use it as a stage!

Please feel free to contact us, if you dont find something else shiney to play on!

We'd love to have ya play in Terminal City!
(3:00 & A)

....just sayin'....

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue May 26, 2009 10:44 am

Hey Piney...you are forgetting about "Janis".
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Oldguy » Tue May 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Pinemom, that's a good idea about using small trailers as stages. Instead of just taking up space; I'm going to put mine under shade, drop a carpet and some chairs on it. I've got a smelly old Montgomery-Wards 1 K gennie that could power someones' amp and mike. Maybe enough juice to power a lightbulb too! Only 2 grounded plugs though on back of gennie, people could bring a pint of unleaded if they needed power. Sounds like a plan...
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby Dato » Tue May 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Gravybrain wrote:Hey Dato,

Thanks for the kind words, Gravybrain loved playing at the moonshine and we are heading back to the playa this year with the whole band + again and are open to playing any stage, anyone have a stage they need a 6 piece live fusion/funk band?

You guys rock. Sorry I had to bounce on you guys early - I had to chase my now girlfriend before I missed the chance. :) As much as I loved your guys' musak, I undoubtedly made the right choice! lol

Let me know (if you know beforehand, that is) where you guys will be jamming/camping this year, I'd love to hear you guys rock out again, and maybe bring some percussion of my own to bear on. :-)
Dato

Postby Lantz Lazwell » Wed May 27, 2009 2:32 am

Hey Gravybrain,
we should link up and play some shows together in BRC this year.... Our music would go perfect together.... we will have a modest stage set up in our camp as well (Fixxxation station)..... In our bar we have a PA with some mic's, we will have a few live music nights.... Let's talk....
Love and Light,
Lantz lazwell

Lantz Lazwell

Postby pinemom » Wed May 27, 2009 7:52 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Hey Piney...you are forgetting about "Janis".

OH YEAH!

I did forget!
Ok....lets sum this up and see if our little Terminal area of the BRC even appeals to them....
We are Terminal city. Location 3:00 and A st. (from the keyhole to 3:30) both sides of the street.....in the center of this street we have carved out what we call the A-hole.... A Large Venue area...ie...performance area.
The trailer we have is a 22ft long by 7 ft wide (its bigger then that but that is performance space.

We have 9 theme camps inside said village, one of which is camp TMI, who has the janis'ambulance( ambulance that is set up for major sound) But they do have a pretty big system.

And of course we have the BOOBIES! The Booby Bar....never ending supply of good cold booze and lots of friends to share with!

But its up to you.

The only night I see a hardship would be Thursday...(Big Weddin)
But even then that only goes till around 9'ish.....

Theme nights @ Booby Bar
Monday
Boobs n Balls
Tuesday
Vampirates
Wednesday
Furries
Thursday
Come to the darkside we have cookies
Friday
Sparkle Night Disco infused
Saturday
I smell something burning

Sunday
(drop down to ONE boob, The bar!)Last year we were heck'a busy all week...but Sunday ...Holy F*** we had so many friends....it was definitely the Night of Nights!

Guess its hard to find a free flowing, get anything ya want, bar by Sunday!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Many thanks

Postby SupperHippy » Thu May 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Just wanted to thank Dato for the many kind words and to the boys and ladies of the moonshine Tavern, many thanks for having us. As the drummer for Gravybrain, playing at Burningman was a mind blowing experience that I Can't wait to repeat. Thanks again Family.
SupperHippy

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sun May 31, 2009 1:56 am

Wow, I don't think I have made it to the Terminal zone before! Sounds like an absolute must! Playa-Ho
Galaxo Magic

Postby accordionMan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
On the plus side, it's never too late to learn accordion or even the banjo.

Truer words have never been spoken.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby gigi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Evolutionary Temple will have live acoustic and soundhealing music in our temple domes, and a life amplified music stage outside on the roof of a vintage bus. Last year we were Pantheogenesis Temple at Entheon Village on Esplanade...

Our music style is conscious and heart-centered...ie: Tina Malia, Freedom Tribe, Scot Huckabay, Jah Levi, Kirtan/chant, Dreaming Bear....didge, world, roots, shamanic, drumming...Mystic Garden Party, Rainbow gathering, Entheon Village style...

We're bringing back the heart and the center and the core...

http://www.evolutionarytemple.com

ps -- most musicians don't want to perform live at BRC 'cause their instruments get trashed...
co-lead, Healing Yurts at Temple Pantheogenesis, Entheon Village, Burning Man 2008
gigi

live music stages at Evolutionary Temple

Postby gigi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Evolutionary Temple will have live acoustic and soundhealing music in our temple domes, and a life amplified music stage outside on the roof of a vintage bus. Last year we were Pantheogenesis Temple at Entheon Village on Esplanade...

Our music style is conscious and heart-centered...ie: Tina Malia, Freedom Tribe, Scot Huckabay, Jah Levi, Kirtan/chant, Dreaming Bear....didge, world, roots, shamanic, drumming...Mystic Garden Party, Rainbow gathering, Entheon Village style...

We're bringing back the heart and the center and the core...

http://www.evolutionarytemple.com

ps -- most musicians don't want to perform live at BRC 'cause their instruments get trashed...
co-lead, Healing Yurts at Temple Pantheogenesis, Entheon Village, Burning Man 2008
gigi

Jazz Cafe!!

Postby mamasaid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:44 am

Dont forget about those hard-working folks over at Jazz Cafe!!!

They've been setting up for many years and giving a jazz jam space to the community. They have been gracious and given my choir space for the last 5 years and they are all super people...

So, if you wanna jam in the language of jazz, head to the Jazz Cafe! It's always in the inner circle around center camp.

Live music will always live on!!!

Madi
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

ps

Postby mamasaid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 am

oh yeah,

if you are a singer and you are looking for a venue to perform, consider coming to sing in my choir!

I am also looking for a drummer, bass player and possible guitarist!!! maybe other instruments, if the playa were to provide that... one year, we had a tabla player, and that was SUPER COOL!

See my post on 2009 Art and Performance...

Madi
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

ps

Postby mamasaid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 am

oh yeah,

if you are a singer and you are looking for a venue to perform, consider coming to sing in my choir!

I am also looking for a drummer, bass player and possible guitarist!!! maybe other instruments, if the playa were to provide that... one year, we had a tabla player, and that was SUPER COOL!

See my post on 2009 Art and Performance...

Madi
mamasaid

Postby dronf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:45 pm

I almost wish they would bring back the official big stage that they got rid of 10+ years ago. 97 had some epic crazy shows there. Chkung, idiot flesh, scott jenerik.
On a horse made of crystal he patrolled the land, with his mason and his schnauzer and his perfect hands.
dronf

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Scott was epic.
Ugly Dougly

Live Music Stage - World, Contemplative, Folk, etc.

Postby veleda » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey all;

we have a live music stage at 5 and Esplanade - Sacred Spaces Village.

5 mics/multi-channel set up.

Our schedule still has some openings for contemplative acoustic music, folk, world, fusion, kirtan, etc (we're a spiritually themed camp) but its too late to really organize thing anything pre-playa. First crew has already landed and is already pounding rebar.

Feel free to stop by and find an opening in our schedule and come play!
veleda

Postby wedeliver » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm going over to thunderdome to see some great heavy metal.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Lantz Lazwell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 pm

I actually found a lot of stages for us to perform on this year! I just had to poke around a bit... And Sleepless (the Center Camp Cafe stage co-ordinator) was really helpful, not only did she book us at her stage, she also pointed us toward other live stages in BRC. So if you are interested in listening to some good live Funk Music, Kim Manning (of George Clinton's p-Funk All-Stars) and I will performing at the following times and places in the BRC!

Center Camp Cafe Stage-
Wed, Thur night 1am (after Gooferman)
Sat night 1am (after the Burn)

Tsunami Camp stage- 3:30 & Esplanade
Wed, Thur, Fri night 8-11pm (@ sundown) improv jam session ("Jam Factory") last hour of set, open call to any and all musicians( bring ur instruments,percussion, guitar,etc...) come check in with us before set to sign up!

Transmorphagon stage- 3:00 & Esplanade
Thurs afternoon funk Party! (with Gravy Brain)

Funk Camp's Muthaship- 2:45 & A (Fandango Village)
hosting the cabaret on Fri nite 1am- til sun up! (after "March Forth" marching Band)

Fixxxation Station- 7:30 & Chaos
Thur- Pre-Wedding celebration 4pm

thats its.... hope to see you all on the playa...
Love and Light,
Lantz lazwell

Lantz Lazwell

Return to 2009 Art & Performance