Lighting: Solar, Battery LEDs, what works?

Lighting: Solar, Battery LEDs, what works?

Postby Goddess_Lisa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:23 am

I'm researching solar spotlights to light my installation at night as well as battery operated LEDs. Anyone have any suggestions on inexpensive items that have worked in the past?
Awaken from “tyranny over the minds of man,â€
Goddess_Lisa

Postby SilverOrange » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:03 am

I'll welcome you here Goddess Lisa and refer you to this:http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=4053 Lots of information for you to digest about all your lighting needs.
SilverOrange

kindness accepted...

Postby Goddess_Lisa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:14 am

SilverOrange wrote:I'll welcome you here Goddess Lisa and refer you to this:http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=4053 Lots of information for you to digest about all you lighting needs.

You're a doll! I knew this had to be buried in here somewhere.
Stop by and see me, I'll be gifting blueberry/vanilla vodka.
Awaken from “tyranny over the minds of man,â€
Goddess_Lisa

Ligthing your Art is a good thing!

Postby kevinwells » Sun May 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi There,
Last year my burning man project was to help "The Artery" light up art installations that were not safely lit.

I ended up buying a load of simple and cheap solar powered patio lights as well as a bunch of bicycle red flashing tail lights.
These lights can be modified easily to give them some extra juice . Typically they will not last all night because they use the cheapest possible rechargable battery. The "hack" is as simple as simply changing the rechargeable battery to a high "amp hour battery. What I did was use NIMH 2600 mAh batteries (from all-batteries.com) I opened up the lights , swapped the battery, and i was done. Now my lights lasted all night!

If you want accent lighting, then I suggest that you go LED . there are a number of ways to do it. you can roll your own, with LED's from ebay, or you can find some cheap LED fixtures online.
A good hack is to use some of the led fixtures from IKEA. Here is one I particularly like
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407
it is called "dioder" it has multi color output and can change colors, cycle, or just a single color. It has 4 seperate bars that can be joined in a line or else wired seperately

It has a transformer, but if check, you will see that the LED module actually run at 12volts. All you do then is cut the "wall wart" off, then wire it up to a car battery. (mind the polarity)
If you have cash, go solar, if not, simply plan on having a one deep cycle battery that you can recharge . You can lug it to to the Artery or my camp where I will be running a solar reccharging station. Chances are, the battery will last all week...
hope this helps....
kevinwells

Return to 2009 Art & Performance