Art Project - Securing Plywood

Art Project - Securing Plywood

Postby pacifico » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Greetings Artists:
I am bringing up three panels of plywood, 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall.
I have made an interactive photography prop out of them. I want to hook
them together but am not sure how to do this and then secure them
into the playa.

I have some ideas but would love to hear some others. This is my 3rd art install on the playa but nothing on this level of securing.

Thanks for any suggestions....
pacifico

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:04 pm

thisisthatwhatis and pinemom might have some good ideas. The Fuck Cancer board i think had rebar, but I can't remember no more.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:16 pm

Hinges to hold the plywood pieces to each other and to fold up nicely for transport. If they are all in a straight line then screw a couple 8 foot 2x4's to the back to make it rigid. You could also pre-drill holes and use bolts that way there would be no need for power tools for assembly. Guy line from the top of the plywood to re-bar at a 45 degree angle in the playa. Cap and light the re-bar and your set.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:34 pm

Use a piano or continuous hinge. You can get them in various lengths at hardware stores (local mom and pop can usually order, the big box stores usually have many in stock). You don't need more than a screwdriver to install, but a decent drill motor and appropriate bit (probably phillips) would go a long way to increasing your efficiency.

The link below is for demonstrative purposes only. I don't know anything about Rockler, but these hinges are usually brass finish or chrome finish, and probably made from some fairly cheap steel. I can't say if using stainless is indicated, but you can cut the cheap ones with a hacksaw, if you need a customized fit.

Generally they hinge 180 degrees (like a book), and something like 110 degrees ( like a lid to a tool box) so mind how you mount it. Fold the hinge a bit and cogitate prior to mounting.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11292
chiefdanfox

Postby pinemom » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 am

You could even use old door hinges...so you could mount prior to getting out to the playa, then just pull the bolt for packing...replace bolt playa side.

Mount a couple pipe straps brackets on backs of boards to hold re-bar.
(picture below)
Pre-drill the holes for the strap brackets so when you get out on playa they go in easy(no strippy) with a hand held cordless drill

I would use at least a 5 foot re-bar, provided you are laying them the 4 foot side, pound that stuff in at least 18", more if its gonna be a windy year...

Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Thanks for your thoughts

Postby pacifico » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Hey, thanks for all your good thoughts. I appreciate your time
to respond... Great ideas....
pacifico

Postby Oldguy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:27 pm

A budget approch would be kitchen cabinet hinges at the hardware store or craigslist. I'd use small nuts and bolts instead of screws, washers would hold the wood together ( plywood will flex a little in the winds). A ratchet wrench makes assembly quick. Galvanized or brass lasts better than chinese mild steel. There is a lady in sactown giving away theatre flats and scene frames. or was..
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:41 am

Pinemom is on to something. The continuous hinge does not allow you to separate the panels, so loading and unloading becomes an unwieldy weight problem. Decent door hinges allow you to remove the pin, and they are made of thicker material, so they will hold up under load (wind). And given her ideas, you just need a sledge hammer and hand tools for installation. Old Guy also has a good idea about using through bolts rather than screws. The wind is going to want to pick your panels up and sail them into Pershing County.
chiefdanfox

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 am

If it works for your setup, take your three pieces and make a triangle....all guy wire can be attached to a single stake in the middle of them, out of view and no tripping hazards also.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby pinemom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 am

Great point DiCK!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Thanks

Postby pacifico » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am

Greetings Again,

Thanks so much for all your good suggestions. I am called to use the bolts.
I love the idea of predrilling and then not having to use screws and the power drill. Seems like the screws always go in wrong when you don't want them too. I can get it all prepared and practice putting it together with the nuts/bolts... Brilliant..

Transport will be a problem, need to stack them inside my camper so I think using the hinges/folding might not be as easy although they are a good idea too. They seem to need alot of securing which I am shying away from.

My project is going to be a VW Van portrait party bus. 3 Panels with no windows, for photo ops. Painted with an underwater scene. I am calling it Pacifico. Please stop by and say hello if you see it. Thanks again..

Spanks
pacifico

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:55 pm

You could just cut to the chase and call it PBR.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

windows?

Postby ThePaperLeaf » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:15 pm

if you cut out a window or two, burners could pose behind the bus as if they are a passenger. Holes, or large holes called a window would provide wind resistance, also.
"Sam" from Tahoe
The Paper Leaf

"Knowing and not doing is the same as not doing.
ThePaperLeaf

Postby pacifico » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:37 pm

That is exactly what my project is. Burners on the bus going
down evolution lane! Its a photo op. I have cut the windows out
already.. Thought it would be something fun. Has brought back lots
of memories and am making new memories as this gets created.

No place else like BM to have permission to create whatever you want.
Its endless and fantastic.....
pacifico

Return to 2009 Art & Performance