'09 temple?

Postby eyeruh » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:the new temple design is a BLATANT rip-off and borders on art-theft if it is not credited as an inspiration.

Ha! Somehow I doubt it but Dave *is* from Brooklyn so you never know. He coulda seen it at some point. :-)
eyeruh

Re: Semi-Official Reply

Postby brcprincess » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 am

eyeruh wrote:Hi all,

My name's Ira & I'm part of "Community Art Makers", the Austin, TX crew led by Dave Umlas and Marrilee Ratcliffe. As you can imagine, we're very proud to have been chosen to build this year's Temple. Unfortunately, David Best will not be involved with it this year although we're *very* grateful to him for coming down to Texas to appear at recent fundraisers in Austin and Houston.

Thank you all for your kind words about our design! If you're interested in coming down to Texas to help us build, we'd love to hear from you. Please contact Dave/Marrilee at: temple AT communityartmakers DOT com.

Here's a few photos for the curious:
Resolution Clock (our most recent project)
Temple Fundraiser #1 - Austin
Fundraiser #2 - Houston

We'll also be posting occasional updates on our main site, http://communityartmakers.com

Thanks!!

Thanks for coming on to say hi. Think your design looks wonderful, can't wait to see it out on the Playa.
brcprincess

plywood panels

Postby SFbrothermichael » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:48 am

The laser cut plywood panels in the picture on your website are amazing.
I can't wait to see the light as it catches the dust streaming through all those panels and the patterns they create.

THANK YOU.
SFbrothermichael

Postby Mr.? » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:11 am

This years temple is amazing!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Mr.?

Re: Semi-Official Reply

Postby eyeruh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:46 am

brcprincess wrote:Thanks for coming on to say hi. Think your design looks wonderful, can't wait to see it out on the Playa.

My pleasure! Thank you all for being awesome!
eyeruh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:49 am

i agree, i cant WAIT to burn that mutha.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby adamrice » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:16 pm

The fact that the Temple is being created by an Austin crew this year is what finally got me off my ass to come to Burning Man. A lot of my friends are involved. I think y'all can expect a larger Austin contingent than usual: the local community is really proud of Dave & Marillee, and I think a lot of us want to be there to support them.

I've gotten involved myself, doing a little design work--there are dozens of people producing patterns to be cut by the shopbot. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. And it's an honor to be able to contribute to the Temple, even in my very small way, for my first big burn.
adamrice

Temple Updates

Postby eyeruh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi everyone--I just wanted to let you know that we've (finally) started posting some progress updates on our 'blog': http://communityartmakers.com

Please come check it out if you're curious to see how things are coming along. Also, I have to say that Adam's being too modest--I've seen a few of the designs he's given us and they KICK ASS. :-)
eyeruh

Postby fingerling » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Why does nobody care about bringing the opera back?
WAKE UP!!!!
fingerling

Postby Finnegan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:27 pm

I could hazard a guess, but you wouldn't like it.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I've heard that Pepe whatsits isn't all that easy person to work with. Just how many Prima Donnas do we need onplaya?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

"I would tell her to fuck off."

Postby magdalen23 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:43 pm

That quote was my first introduction to David Umlas, the lauded Community Artmaker leading this year's Temple crew.

I spent a couple weeks deciding if I wanted to post about this publicly. I decided yes.

I believe their design for the Temple is absolutely gorgeous, and that the Burn will be meaningful for many Burners this year, as it usually is for me. Will I be sitting there, peacefully Letting Go of how shitty these Temple builders made me feel, letting myself be enlightened? Or will I hit the road outta town early and miss the Exodus?
magdalen23

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Burning Tarot

the story continues...

Postby magdalen23 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm trying to come up with a description of my little story that is fair to all involved, without writing 4,000 words. Here goes:

- I exchanged emails w/ Temple builders admiring their new design and asking if I could put an altar at the Temple specifically for childless and childfree people to use.

- They seemed to think my project(s) around this subject were cool; they mentioned how many larger naves and smaller niches would be in the Temple. It was kind of vague.

- I said, great, cool, tell me what size niche or nave you'd like me to use, if any, and I'll plan accordingly. I mentioned I might be on the Playa early to be on a work crew, so if it'd be easier for Temple people I could come and put in the altar pre-BRC-opening.

- I mentioned that I'm basing an art exhibition in Portland on my crew's Burning Tarot deck... and that if I was gonna put up this altar-thingy at the Temple, I'd love to mention it in my Artists Statement or Bio.

- Temple Builder emailed his wife asking her to repond to me diplomatically, because he said, "I'D TELL HER TO FUCK OFF."

- Wife accidentally included husband's rude email in her reply to me.

- She and I emailed back and forth a little, not too acrimonious, and I figured I would let it go. But I don't feel like it. I feel like the Temple is this incredible community experience (and the meaning comes from all those people writing things on the Temple and sitting silently in the dust, not from whatever fancy builder gets the honorary assignment this year or next year). And I feel like I got shat in when attempting to be part of it.

- When I asked why they don't just post a policy on their site, "No early requests for space, please just show up on the Playa and put your stuff in the Temple wherever it fits, after the opening." they responded in a confusing way --- that they *like* receiving these requests.

- But not mine, apparently.

- So now I don't know what I'll do with this childless/childfree altar idea, or where I'll put it, or... I really don't feel comfortable putting it up in the Temple now.
magdalen23

Postby Jerome Templaugh » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:10 pm

ahhh, fuck it......do it anyways.

burning man involves going out of your comfort zone be it your house, your current friend set, your philosophy or your current grudges.

let it go, it does not matter, if you build it, it will be there.

god i'm hungry. Do you KNOW how long it's been since i've had a decent pastrami sandwich? do YOU?

no......go ponder that horror for a while bubbala, then your problems won't seem like such a big deal anymore.

see, it worked, didn't it.

NO MAYO, MUSTARD!
"we are a legion of men, eh? a federation of sorts, a GOLD PEN is Mightier than any sword, i say."
Jerome Templaugh

Postby magdalen23 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:37 pm

crap, it looks like my post got eaten.

oh well. suffice to say that part of the population i'm inviting to participate in this (childless people in deep, deep grief) live on the knife edge of sensitivity much of the time or all of the time. i have personal experience with this, but have also done extensive research on the subject.

it's like a group of people who have no skin.

i hesitate to send 'em into a Bad Vibe Zone where the builder got a specific request from a childless woman about childlessness and responded with a Fuck Off. childless women, and childless people of all genders experiencing grief and biological clock hell, get enough FUCK OFF from our society because it's such a pro-natalist baby-fest.

so yeah. i'd love to eat some pastrami. send it over.
magdalen23

Postby Jerome Templaugh » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:44 pm

what kind of cheese do you want on that, my shiksa wannabe? and you know, you really only have one choice of bread, Rye. humor me though, and ask me if i have seeded or unseeded...

now THATS kosher!
"we are a legion of men, eh? a federation of sorts, a GOLD PEN is Mightier than any sword, i say."
Jerome Templaugh

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:19 pm

-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Don't mess with them. They'll secede on you like that.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:37 pm

:lol: Just poking fun. Its funny though (off the topic) I was having a conversation with a fellow burner earlier about if Texas ware to secede. I think they would vastly become the richest country, and most of my friends talk about how they would up and move there. I don't know thought, I doubt it would ever happen. Canada, Mexico and the United States will all become one country before Texas ever became it's own. IMO. Sorry didn't mean to go off topic. As you were. :D
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Well, I personally know two sane people in Texas, so I would be sad to see it go. No I wouldn't. Good bloody riddance. If we could trick the other reb states to go along too, all the better.

This Olbermann segment is pretty spot on about the whole Texas seceding thing. Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJKpsUq9IY
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby goathead » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Jerome Templaugh wrote:what kind of cheese do you want on that, my shiksa wannabe? and you know, you really only have one choice of bread, Rye. humor me though, and ask me if i have seeded or unseeded...
now THATS kosher!

Come now sock

Doesn't want a TICKET

Doesn't want you to FEED HER

Doesn't want you to ENERTAIN her

So why the SNARK?

Kid in Harvard, NICE.

Will they put money on the book in LOVELOCK though?

Fuck your DaY....
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:44 pm

My hovercraft is full of eels.
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby goathead » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Finnegan wrote:My hovercraft is full of eels.

it is kind of fun isn't it.
:twisted:

A h-uile cù air a chù choimheach.

:lol:
goathead

i have not lied to you. why start now?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:54 pm

whatever i have or will have i will give you half...

this is a solomn promise.

i would never cheat my mistress, the black rock desert, for i am from her, of her and will always be her.

ok, now i am WEEKS behind because of my love for a stupid little postcard from sabine.

i WILL see ALL of you motherfuckers at home, and i'll be bringing gifts a plenty for all of you whores and whiskers.

Look High, i am looking forward to the Meat and Greet, crispy bacon, Terrible awful, used jokes, thrown out by the masters, and you, playa people, you.

contrary to popular belief, daddy cut me off entirely 12 years ago.

financially that is.

this book has been dedicated to him, Arthur E. Goldfeder and my Mother Elena Napoles Goldfeder, My Grandparents, Elena and Florencio Napoles, and Simon and Leah Cohn Goldfeder, and my Four Children.

and to someone else too.

what are you still doing here?

get the fuck out!

i'm BUSY!
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby goathead » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:59 pm

LMAO

I will bring the fruit-cocktail.....

Why can not I get past this vision????

:evil: :evil: :evil:
goathead

Postby magdalen23 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:11 pm

"I believe that pastrami is a metaphor for a well-lived life, for a well-designed institution and even for healthy relationships. Pastrami is marbled rather than layered. Its parts, the lean and the fat, are mixed together rather than neatly separated. Too much of life is lived by adding layers that don't really connect with one another....I want to marble habits of mind..."

--educational psychologist Lee Shulman on NPR, quoted here for your edification and enjoyment by an actual shiksa in the American sense and who is not looking for dark mustard or a crisp dill pickle
magdalen23

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:17 pm

What do you mean by
dark mustard

Let's see your papers, Citizen.
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Re: i have not lied to you. why start now?

Postby goathead » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:what are you still doing here?

Just waiting for the wort to cool, to pitch some yeast.

Simon of the Playa wrote: the fuck out!

Naa, its cool in here, the swamp cooler is working great.

Simon of the Playa wrote:i'm BUSY!

Is that the New England version of

Beat you Never seen this before?

Before the 911 call.

:twisted: :twisted:
goathead

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:22 am

i got the call at 8 am....i was in mein werkstat when my assistant, the scarecrow told me to turn on tv....we watched in horror as the second one hit, it was then that i blurted out without hesitation, babylon o babylon thou hast fallen and as they gnashed and wept and threw ashes upon their heads as this city of fine purple and silk, that whore that strideth upon the waters would sell her wares no longer. i knew that chapter 18 was full of shit. Good shit.

where were you?
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby goathead » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 am

Sorry Simon.

I made a mistake in spelling.

I was trying to make reference to to the famous last redneck words

"Bet you never seen this before...."

And the trip to the hospital afterwards....

:D

Wasn't trying to make any reference to 9/11 at all.
goathead

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Art & Performance