A way for artists to survive the crash and thrive!

A way for artists to survive the crash and thrive!

Postby timeless » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Got time for solutions? Newbie to eplya here…I hope I’m doing this right. People said I need to post my ideas here and I need your input…

I had this idea about helping artists survive the current crunch... It stuck with me like a butterfly that wouldn’t leave…an idea that art could be used as a value, or basis for investment, when so much seems to be losing value. Right now would be a good time for such an “alternative investment...â€
Matthew "timeless" Welter
Sculptor and artist mentor
timeless

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:12 am

Art Derivatives and Mutual Fun Funds...

i think this borders on commerce, or worse.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby littleflower » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:28 am

unfortunately, something that has already been determined to be valuable is now unaffordable, and figuring out what art will appreciate is extremely difficult, as there are a great many excellent artists out there. i've always been told to buy only if i really love something, because it may never increase in value. even better, make my own. and sell my own. and figure out how to convince people that my stuff will appreciate. ha ha ha ha when i figure that out, i'll let you know...
littleflower

Postby timeless » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks, Littleflower, your insights are well placed. It is up to the artist to make desirable art and lasting art! No body wants to invest in something that is going to fall apart. I do believe that "quality" art lasts, because of how it is constructed and because it compels people to take care of it. From what I am learning, art that survives the times is much more likely to evaluate then, say a car or a boat...these days even real estate is not a sure bet...my home just lost half its value, while the art I've managed to collect holds its own. Also, I do think that art that reflects even inspires the times holds its value, as a vessel of cultural and historic content.

You are very right...collector be wise!
timeless

Good news for artists...

Postby timeless » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Prominent art market analyst Nicholas Forrest sums up recent trends:

“In fact, the recent stock market meltdown and poor performance of other investment markets has resulted in an increase in the desirability of art as an investment because art is a tangible asset and has proven to offer a relatively high level of insulation from the effects of economic and financial market crises.â€
timeless

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 am

Much of the art on the playa is made to be burned. This is a different concept of value. It affirms confidence in the cycle of renewal and rebirth and confirms the existence of infinite resources. Damn, I am sounding like La-Ri today.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby timeless » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:07 am

Yes, and that value is and should be part of our creative landscape. There should also be art that survives the playa, as is the mission of BRAC...to promote the values (there's that word again) of our community into the default world, right at a pivotal point...the arts.

Last summer we burned a 10' sculpture of Liberty...what a great and meaningful experience. One, '30 foot Liberty survives...perhaps to be burned another year? Trouble is, it is owned by the investor/collector who paid my bills for the year- long production process. Maybe if I have more of my sculptures cast into bronze, I'd love to burn more of the wooden originals...but, alas, someone has to pay...better wealthy investors then poor artists. I couldn't have produced this sculpture without financial assistance if my life hung on it...

Check out this slide show of last summer's adventure, including the burn of Liberty: http://picasaweb.google.com/timeless.sc ... tionStory# Magic...pure magic!
timeless

Return to 2009 Art & Performance