Looking for help with my 'art' installation

Looking for help with my 'art' installation

Postby thejabberwocky » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:18 am

Hi everyone. This is just a request for people who are interested to help me out with my 'art' installation for this years burning man... although it's not really an installation, per se.

If you're curious I've outlined the details here (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135666775042).

Basically I need people to record themselves saying a few things, and then to send me the sound files so I can compile them. It's a participatory thing in that sense, and the more people that contribute the more interesting the result will be.

Thanks!
Non serviam!
thejabberwocky

Postby Stickygreen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:41 pm

hey this sounds cool, I'll record some stuff at work on monday.
I'll pass the link to some of my friends, who are doing DNA research, I'm sure they will get a kick out of this.

cool idea!
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby thejabberwocky » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 pm

hey thanks! hopefully the result works as well as the concept.

That would be cool if you could record some stuff for it. I've decided to go with the entire mitochondrial DNA sequence, as it is a pretty strong piece of evolutionary evidence.
Non serviam!
thejabberwocky

Postby oleg8888 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:28 pm

Hey, great idea
it's just, not everyone have a fuckbook account or even want one
oleg8888

Postby thejabberwocky » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 pm

[quote="oleg8888"]Hey, great idea
it's just, not everyone have a fuckbook account or even want one[/quote]

good point! Here is what is posted there:

I'm looking for people to help me out with a project: I'm building a radio transmitter to bring to Burning Man, with the intention of broadcasting a variation of a 'numbers station' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station).

The idea is to broadcast part of the dna code (say, about 18,000 characters of it), as the art theme this year is evolution. What I need is people to participate in this 'artistic endeavor' by recording themselves saying the different parts of the dna code.

You can record yourself saying it in as many different ways as you want, I just need each one in a separate file so I can arrange them properly. You can yell it. You can yawn it. You can whisper it. You can say it in ecstasy, or agony, or even in your everyday voice. You can do all of them, or find some other way of pronouncing it. The more recordings of yourself that you make and the people that help out with this, the less repetitive the broadcast will be, as it is going to be at least 18000 characters long.

The following are what I need sound files of (each thing in quotations being its own file):

"A"
"T"
"G"
"C"
"Adenine"
"Thymine"
"Guanine"
"Cytosine"

It is better if these are in .wav format, but any type will do. If you want to help out with this just send me a message or email
[mitch_brost (at) hotmail (dot) com]

***UPDATE***
I've gotten alot of enthusiastic emails from people in the past few days asking me about this, and wanting to contribute. Because there has been this much interest, I feel obligated to make sure it works so all of your efforts don't go to waste. And so instead of building a cheap AM transmitter out of parts I have sitting around and hoping for the best, I've bought the parts I need to build a more expensive and longer range FM transmitter. So this is definately happening, I've spent the money so now I have to do it.

***UPDATE 2***
I've decided that the DNA sequence we'll be broadcasting will be that of mitochondria, as it's a good piece of evidence for evolution. So in addition to the sound files from before, I'm going to be including one of the following longer ones after every few hundred nucleotides (feel free to record one or two of these!):

“What you are listening to is the nucleotide sequence of mitochondrial DNA.â€
Non serviam!
thejabberwocky

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 pm

what if some alien species overhears our broadcast and assembles the blocks of DNA? they could be creating the worst STD ever from our bits of DNA as it could be viral.

Or maybe the best STD ever???? a new breed of STD that makes you stronger, feel better, clears out phlegm, clears acne, and shaves years off your age. Thats the STD I want.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Return to 2009 Art & Performance