Looking for Playa Images

Looking for Playa Images

Postby Perceval » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Hi,

I am looking for images of the Black Rock Desert playa, more specifically, images of a hard, cracked playa, for use in a Burning Man-related project.

Something like this:

www.terragalleria.com/photo/

I need hard cracked playa, horizon, blue sky. I also need to be able freely use this image without having to pay for it, or to apply some trademark to it.

If you have any similar images that you would possibly be willing to share, please email me at perseverential@yahoo.com

Thank you~!
Nathan Heller
Perceval

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Sham

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 pm

I like Shambala's first one a lot.

Waldo is in there somewhere, can you find him ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 pm

I am posting these playa surface photos for the people who have never been before. This is awesome stuff--especially when it rains!

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm

I found Waldo! :D
Sham

Postby Perceval » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:41 pm

I've seen the first two playa images via google, and according to the info with them from there, they're not of the Black Rock Desert. I need pics of the Black Rock Desert playa...., hard cracked playa, and with horizon :-)
Nathan Heller
Perceval

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 am

The following are pictures I took for painting references in 2007. Not very good, I'm afraid. If they are of use to you, you have permission to use them.

Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Looking for Playa Images

Postby wedeliver » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:26 am

Perceval wrote:Hi,

I am looking for images of the Black Rock Desert playa, more specifically, images of a hard, cracked playa, for use in a Burning Man-related project.

Something like this:

www.terragalleria.com/photo/

I need hard cracked playa, horizon, blue sky. I also need to be able freely use this image without having to pay for it, or to apply some trademark to it.

If you have any similar images that you would possibly be willing to share, please email me at perseverential@yahoo.com

Thank you~!

It would be nice to hear about this project of yours. Your example above goes to nothing that I could find.

If you want people to help you out, take a little time and introduce yourself and tell us about your "project".

and no, thank you!
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby j_cavera » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 am

Have a bunch on my flickr account (flickr username: j_cavera). All photos are cc-licensed and free to use.

- Jim
j_cavera

Postby Elderberry » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:01 am

Shambala wrote:Image

Is that the Playa? It looks like a picture of the race track in Death Valley CA

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:14 am

I think that is a pic of one of those mysterious miraculous moving rocks in Death Valley.

They are akin to crop circles, from what I know aboot them.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 am

The Racetrack is an amazing place. Nobody is quite sure how the large stones ended up in the middle of the lake bed, but after a good rain, when the bed turns to slick mud, high winds push the stones around, creating the tracks as shown in that photo. We're talking HIGH winds!
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby wedeliver » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:55 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:The Racetrack is an amazing place. Nobody is quite sure how the large stones ended up in the middle of the lake bed, but after a good rain, when the bed turns to slick mud, high winds push the stones around, creating the tracks as shown in that photo. We're talking HIGH winds!

Actually the rocks move into the wind. The wind removes the sand in front on the rock allowing the rock to roll/slide into that area. (If I 'member what some ol' timer told me)

So, my guess in that picture above the "ridge" on either side of the rock is the sand that was in front.

although I think I am forgetting something in this process.....
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Perceval » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:57 pm

[quote="AntiM"]The following are pictures I took for painting references in 2007. Not very good, I'm afraid. If they are of use to you, you have permission to use them.

Thank you AntiM...
Nathan Heller
Perceval

Postby Perceval » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:58 pm

[quote="j_cavera"]Have a bunch on my flickr account (flickr username: j_cavera). All photos are cc-licensed and free to use.

- Jim[/quote]

Thank you, Jim...
Nathan Heller
Perceval

Re: Looking for Playa Images

Postby Perceval » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Wedeliver wrote:

>>>It would be nice to hear about this project of yours. Your example above goes to nothing that I could find.

If you want people to help you out, take a little time and introduce yourself and tell us about your "project".

and no, thank you!<<<

Perhaps some of you remember last year, in inclusion with the materials folks receive at the Greeter's, that recycling project flyer?

I design the flyer, and in looking for a different face, I need one real good image of the playa as the background for the front.

Therefore, with info and some other graphics on the front, in playing with other images (that won't work or that I cannot use), I need a real good shot of the playa when it has been hard and crackling, with a horizon (and mountains in particular) also in view, and particularly if I can find it, such that it is a clear day, and such that the sun is not in view, but the playa (as if it is in the late afternoon) is bright with color saturation...
Nathan Heller
Perceval

Postby Perceval » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:08 pm

....like that pic above of the "racing rock" would be sweet, but alas it is not the black rock playa!
Nathan Heller
Perceval

Return to 2009 Art & Performance