unabashed noob seeks help sorting a music performance space?

is it better to secure a space/venue before going to BM, or best to prepare for anything and then just wing it?

plan ahead as detailed as possible
14%
improvise in the glory of the moment
43%
travel both roads
43%

Total votes : 7

unabashed noob seeks help sorting a music performance space?

Postby kreg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:50 pm

first timer. just need the simple breakdown. i would like to prepare a solid shows worth of material special order for BM '09. i am primarily an experimental electronic music producer. my situation is, i need to have some idea of the possible scope involved. i mean i could sort a laptop set/live mixdown style, even as 'one man band' if it comes to it... however, i can foresee a novel set of possibilities by starting the plan this far back, i will cater the music in some measure depending on some prime factors... but i need to know how things break down in the most simplest terms, as far as a strategy to best lead to maximum creative conductivity, things will get deeper and more interesting and deeper the more others can contribute, so... for instance if i know i have a set at such and such a time, the stage is apx. size, the power limitations.

perhaps best to prepare a few tunes which would transmit a general theme and write up a proposal for optional elements??? like an outline of what i would like to see in an unobstructed vision of an ideal show, which would include many other contributors... ? like dancers, dj's, drummers, singers, AND there is a type of 'storytelling' aspect that could be worked out in a real cool manner, but it will take investment of creative energies that are dependant relative to logistical concerns.

does this 'proposal' get sent to a central Burning Man Booking place? i did see the form thing, but then got noob confusion upon seeing individuals asking in general for a space to play.

this the critical point being, the recruiting and involving of others. just how many and what fashion is dependant on factors i cannot measure... being a Burning Virgin as the shoe that fits. sorry if the answer to this question is close by and i missed it, but finding out ASAP is important.
kreg

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Just go there and check everything out on your fisrt year, then you will know what to do for 2010.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

We seem to get a lot of polls from newbies. Have you noticed that?
Ugly Dougly

communication vs. limit/non-doing

Postby kreg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:48 pm

so your advice is to not try. ok,

thanks, but not the type i find of use. it's my humble opinion that people who have yet to attend this festival, still have something of value to contribute to it. unless, of course the entire spirit of the place is contaminated by elitist attitudes, and the cooler than though. i think not. so humor my delusion, and leave some room here open, because someone else may use it to shed some light. the type based perhaps on having distilled knowledge from past experiences, the specific type that opens up doors AS OPPOSED to the other that closes them.

if anyone else has wanted to perform a live set or produce a live music set/show OR HAS been through the process, and can perhaps recommend an approach. please do share your wisdom ;]
kreg

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:13 pm

There are several avenues .... and yes, one is scope out the event before formulating plans. Valid advice, not at all elitist.

Center Camp has small stages, you can contact the BMorg to see how that works, I know they have schedules and criteria. There is no such thing as a "center stage" at the event. There is a thread for artists seeking stages, some camps set them up. Another choice is to bring your set up and play at random, out on the open playa.

If you are looking for a collaboration, you must seek out the other artists or camps to facilitate your vision, the BMorg does not play matchmaker. If your idea will include others, it is up to you to find and engage those others,
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:06 pm

I was hoping a D.J. or other provider of music would show up this year.......

the alpenhorn and accordion band wears on me after a while.......

oh yeah, welcome.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:22 pm

ygmir wrote:I was hoping a D.J. or other provider of music would show up this year.......

oh yeah, welcome.......

You be quiet about the Alpenhorn. That's supposed to be a secret. I am flying in Hans and Fritz at great expense.

kreg, don't lose hope. Expose your personality to Eplaya, plenty of like minds to meet yet. Crikey, it's still only Frebruary!
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:32 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
ygmir wrote:I was hoping a D.J. or other provider of music would show up this year.......

oh yeah, welcome.......

You be quiet about the Alpenhorn. That's supposed to be a secret. I am flying in Hans and Fritz at great expense.
Last year, when the plane Sepp and Jurgen (may they rest in peace) were on crashed while coming out of the Innsbruck airport was a nightmare. We are lucky to have been able to get on Hans and Fritz's schedule on such notice.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:

oh yeah, welcome.......

kreg, don't lose hope. Expose your personality to Eplaya, plenty of like minds to meet yet. Crikey, it's still only Frebruary!

hey,
aren't they the kids on "Swiss Family Robinson"?.......
or was that Fritz and Ernst?........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gaminwench » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Okay, kreg, real info here...I've run a live 24 hour performance space on the playa, I also stage manage the center camp music stage, and I'm a performer...
There are many camps that set-up soundsystems and stages - some are for live musicians only, some are DJ's only, some are set for both (keep in mind that there are MANY DJ's, many, many, many...)
Center Camp is for LIVE, original material only, they'll start booking in late May...
Large Sound Camps usually book DJ's in advance, keep an eye on the "Stages looking for Artists" thread here...
Most live stages have some form of 'house' band, then invite others to fill slots - again, keep an eye on that thread, it starts really moving in May...
Some of the best 'bands' I've heard are pick-up situations - musicians meet on-line or on the playa, then find an empty stage and go for it...some have actually held together and had a Defaultia afterlife!!
If you have a concept for a Collaborative project (the best, of course), write it up and start a thread with 'Looking for______ to play in Collaborative" as the subject line, watch e-playa for stages and book a couple of on'playa spots - if you need rehearsal at BM, look for that space as well...
Stages can be anything from 4x4 carpet on the ground with small system, to huge platforms with fancy lights and massive speakers - be specific about your needs/requests when booking to minimize surprises, and know that what actually manifests on the playa is rarely what you expect....ride with it!!!
Good luck, hope this helps...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:18 am

if you bring your computer with you, it means you dont love it, and you want it to be fucked up forever.

just a thought, mr. Newb.

i like one-eyed dick's suggestion....come, see, listen, explore, participate.

next year bring the big plans.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, IT'S AUGUST!!!

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby kreg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:38 am

i like the good advice re: bringing a computer. it would seem a backup pc or lappy would be the choice, something ultimately expendable. i also have a few other options as far as gear goes, perhaps this is a good line of thought.

my rig i have been assembling is on the compact side. it would be nice to include the Korg Kaoss Pad3 and the microKontrol small midi controller, i was planning to get one of those cheap new little laptops, now will consider using the old laptop or get a used mini laptop, save like $100 that way. beyond that, i have many options with circuit bent gear. considering the conditions the devices wont be the fancy painted artworks but rather the dirty monkey rig stuff, hehe. probably go with a bent delay pedal and some Crashio's would be nice to bust out a drum machine i could tie in midi but, at that point my traveling scenario will help me to boil it down. i make the bent stuff so not real concerned there, gettin banged up just gives it 'character' yeah that's it!

i am thinking staying like 3 days would be best. as far as tickets go... should i just plan on buying a regular entry ticket ? or wait and see if there is some booking agent interested in a more formal arrangement ? i guess that is the principle reason i made this post. it's pretty clear arranging for a space to play is going to be very self-generated networking-related, but the bigger scale plans would require a solid booking a space and time, all sorted proper.

the initial plan is to prepare some interesting tracks that will convey the sonic side, and in the mean time get real clear on the other parts of the show and how they could combine in a 'modular' fashion. so that what could be a cool one man electronic band, could be expanded to included confirmed parts, dancers, video mix, ect. so... with a tight set of tracks and a confirmed group of interested contributors, i could then right up a description of the show and include pictures ect. of the people that are lined up to perform. then i am guessing, would be the time to sort out the 'performers form' on the site??? and ALSO, work the forum to express my intent and look to arrange specific booking arrangements?

thanks gaminwench for the excellent advice! just what i need... oh yeah, i also need to go google 'playa' hehehe, ;]
kreg

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 am

Three days? All that way for three days?

The damage to your gear will not be getting banged around, but insidious dust in the guts and being cooked in the heat.

Booking agents? Uh? Um, buy a ticket. Booking agents?
Forgive my confusion.

Take gaminwench's suggestion and begin a thread in the art and performance forum, so people who may want to participate with you can get a better idea of the plan.
AntiM

Postby kreg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:46 am

hi ya AntiM,

it's not that far for me.

you said "Booking agents? Uh? Um, buy a ticket. Booking agents? Forgive my confusion. "

hehe, your confusion? it's me that's confused here. yeah booking agents, as in the people that book acts. as referred to by gaminwench the 'stage managers' ...being that center camp is 'booking' in late May. and "Large Sound Camps usually book DJ's in advance" i assume live acts as well, the people doing this. do you understand now? let me know if you are still confused. agent = person semantics vs syntax = eternal torment.

it's just that i believe there are "artist" tickets which are different price than the other kind. am i mistaken?
kreg

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:08 am

oh yeah, welcome.......

Now that's a classic!!!!.....hehehe...
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25 am

Artist tickets? No, unless you happen to be doing some large-scale installation or are on a fire conclave and even then there's no guarantee. I don't know your chances of being picked up and compensated ticket-wise by a large sound camp. You'd have to ask their stage manager. Peruse the list of theme camps from 2008 and find which ones have stages or are doing sound, contact them to find out if they are returning and will be a good fit for you.

The reason "booking agent" confused me is that is a very formal term, one which smacks of commerce, used to refer to what is essentially an informal process. Gaminwnech and the Center Camp stages are very much the exception as that's run by the BMorg, not a theme camp. In demand, with limited time slots. Yes, the big camps will arrange a line-up and specific DJs, but there is no central or coordinated booking process in place. You have to find the camp listings and make contact. Posting here will get you a little solid information, a lot of advice, seasoned with a bit of snark.

Look in the regionals and events forum, there are events posted there which are fundraisers for some of the larger camps. These will be the people you are looking for.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Where's Jordan 10-E and DJ Rage when I need them?
AntiM

Postby mojo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:42 am

Kreg;

Maybe I can alleviate some of your confusion.

The event runs for one week. The ticket gets you in for the whole week whether you spend 10 minutes on the playa or the entire week.

The Burning Man Orginization does not give art grants to performance art. All of us, with only a few exceptions, buy our tickets even though many of us volunteer time to assist with the festival. There are very, very many DJ's with equipment out there that all have paid for their ticket just to entertain us.

Good luck - you may want to consider attending for your first time without hauling out yor equipment. We will welcome you with open arms no matter what you bring to the party. What AntiM said about the environment is dead on - the fine, powdery alkaline dust is corrosive and deadly to electronic equipment. There can be hours at a time when you can't see, can't breathe without something over your face to filter the dust.

That said, I hope to meet you there and I am grateful for your desire to entertain us. You sound like someone who will truly love and appreciate our little city. Fucking A! I'll make you a kick ass bloody Mary.

PS - make a friend of Gaminwench - she's just flat cool.
mojo

Postby gaminwench » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:06 pm

oooh, Mojo, you made me get all warm and fuzzy like a bunny....
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby oscillator » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Yeah, what mojo said.

Consider a modest effort 1st time out, soak up the playa, then go big in 2010.

Homemade Sangrita anyone???

\osc
oscillator

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:44 am

He said he was unabashed.
Ugly Dougly

Return to 2009 Art & Performance