Dubstep.fm Making It's First BM Appearance!

Postby lemur » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:02 am

hey!!!

You could have at least thought up your own descprition of the event when you went to make a web page for this.. :-(

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... ience.html ...... http://dubstep.fm/burningman

did you get adequate permission to use someone elses work without attribution on your website that has all of these advertising banners on it?

did you really need to use the logo? ... :-(

Decommodification ?

Radical Self-reliance ?

Radical Self-expression ?

surely you can do better! .....i think the folks at Opulent Temple have found an acceptable balance..

it surely takes a lot of money to put on a big show out there but i think you guys need to work on your message ;-)

compare! and contrast!

http://www.opulenttemple.org/donations.php
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Whomp 101: Dub Wonder by Jenn

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:23 am

JennNeSaisQuoi wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:What in the hell is dubstep ?

Whomp 101

Dub is not "hip". It’s not catchy, or trendy. It’s not sunny and sweet – it’s chewy and thick. You can’t sing to it. You won’t hear on American Idol. Dub doesn’t go down easy, it just...goes down. When transferred from disk to device to speaker to ears, it leaves an impression. It leaves a brand, a scar on every fiber of every muscle. It fills every pore – that’s when you know that it owns you.

You don’t dance to it, you FEEL it. Movement and sound transforms to light and you undulate in and around one another – writhing and dripping to raw bass emotion, and every whomp feels like a dose of medication. Ten minutes of bass feels like ten hours of therapy – without the side affects of feeling invaded and analyzed by an over-educated, Birkenstock wearing, narcissistic, self-righteous hypocrite. It’s a mind-fuck nonetheless, but this one will actually give your brain an orgasm.

Dubstep will change and evolve into something more within a matter of seconds. It will bend and obscure, it will break and grow, it will swell and growl – it will roll a vibration that begins at your feet and reverberates through every hair follicle, peels your face off and ends with an awakening in your mind. If hip hop and reggae were water through a sieve, then dubstep would be thick, organic honey. It’s an addiction. Dub is like butter and the DJ is its hot knife – cutting and melting it away into a slick, slippery stream of deliciousness that when poured onto most anything, it just fucking tastes better. It’s sinful and indulgent. Its bass line is x-rated and will leave you feeling like you need a cold shower, a hot bath, and a confession.

Listening to it feels like a resurrection. It is our atonement. It’s the love child of Bob Marley, Eazy-E and some futuristic machine, grinding and breaking sound into something really offensive and dirty.

You don’t have to like it. You don’t have to appreciate it. You don’t even have to respect the fact that we like it – we are a class of music lovers that require no outside voice, no validation, acceptance or approval. We don’t care how we look, what we wear, or what others think when we are in and around what we do. We are a tribe – threads from the same fabric, ripped apart and woven back together. We are free-thinking, body-shaking, head-bobbing, hand-waving, shoulder-dusting, feet-stomping, beat boxing, whomp enthusiasts – and those who don’t get it...can suck it.

“When your spirit is floatin’ down the tunnel toward the light, you know what’s behind the light? It’s not God…its ME. And I’m gonna kick your poncy soul all the way back down the tunnel ‘til you choke on your own fucked up ribs. Now…wake the FUCK up.â€
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Whomp 101: Dub Wonder by Jenn

Postby ibdave » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:03 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
JennNeSaisQuoi wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:What in the hell is dubstep ?

Whomp 101

Dub is not "hip". It’s not catchy, or trendy. It’s not sunny and sweet – it’s chewy and thick. You can’t sing to it. You won’t hear on American Idol. Dub doesn’t go down easy, it just...goes down. When transferred from disk to device to speaker to ears, it leaves an impression. It leaves a brand, a scar on every fiber of every muscle. It fills every pore – that’s when you know that it owns you.

You don’t dance to it, you FEEL it. Movement and sound transforms to light and you undulate in and around one another – writhing and dripping to raw bass emotion, and every whomp feels like a dose of medication. Ten minutes of bass feels like ten hours of therapy – without the side affects of feeling invaded and analyzed by an over-educated, Birkenstock wearing, narcissistic, self-righteous hypocrite. It’s a mind-fuck nonetheless, but this one will actually give your brain an orgasm.

Dubstep will change and evolve into something more within a matter of seconds. It will bend and obscure, it will break and grow, it will swell and growl – it will roll a vibration that begins at your feet and reverberates through every hair follicle, peels your face off and ends with an awakening in your mind. If hip hop and reggae were water through a sieve, then dubstep would be thick, organic honey. It’s an addiction. Dub is like butter and the DJ is its hot knife – cutting and melting it away into a slick, slippery stream of deliciousness that when poured onto most anything, it just fucking tastes better. It’s sinful and indulgent. Its bass line is x-rated and will leave you feeling like you need a cold shower, a hot bath, and a confession.

Listening to it feels like a resurrection. It is our atonement. It’s the love child of Bob Marley, Eazy-E and some futuristic machine, grinding and breaking sound into something really offensive and dirty.

You don’t have to like it. You don’t have to appreciate it. You don’t even have to respect the fact that we like it – we are a class of music lovers that require no outside voice, no validation, acceptance or approval. We don’t care how we look, what we wear, or what others think when we are in and around what we do. We are a tribe – threads from the same fabric, ripped apart and woven back together. We are free-thinking, body-shaking, head-bobbing, hand-waving, shoulder-dusting, feet-stomping, beat boxing, whomp enthusiasts – and those who don’t get it...can suck it.

“When your spirit is floatin’ down the tunnel toward the light, you know what’s behind the light? It’s not God…its ME. And I’m gonna kick your poncy soul all the way back down the tunnel ‘til you choke on your own fucked up ribs. Now…wake the FUCK up.â€
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby 3l3tronic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I agree i love dubstep, but I personally think its alittle weird having never gone, to be setting up a stage / theme camp.

Its different than any other event out there. And the best way to raise money for costs etc. are throwing a fundraiser event.

as for the banner ads, i'm pretty sure Burning man isn't cool with people using their logo and name in ads. as far as a Fundraiser for a camp i'm pretty sure they are all for it.

[quote="klone138"]OK I never come to eplaya anymore. But I had to say something here. First off, let me say I LOVE dubstep. Actually it is my favorite music. When I first heard the dubstep fm was doing a theme/music camp I loved what I was hearing. But lately everywhere I buy music online (such as digital tunes . net) I am seeing adds and banners saying "dubstep fm @ Burning Man 2009". What kind of shit is this??? Have any of you ever even been to burning man? Maybe I'm trippin' but I say NOT COOL!!! Don't exploit our home on the playa to promote an internet radio station. Do a theme camp, Fine. Promote it on burning man related forums like this, Fine. Throw fundraisers, Fine. But the corporate advertising on websites not related to the BM community, I really DON"T think it's cool. Especially when you are using the burning man logo and name. Just had to get that off my chest.[/quote]
3l3tronic

Postby 3l3tronic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

i'm sure he will be playing, but most likely no one will hear him as there will be 500 other massive sound systems all blare-ing towards the man. Oh and don't forget Burning man pretends music doesn't exist out there so, they don't help fund anything that has sound.
3l3tronic

Why the hating?

Postby rollermonkey » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Back off if you don't like it. Plenty of other forums for you to go whine about. I will be seeking out your wobble as will many others. Peace and Respect...
rollermonkey

Postby beaublumberg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Hey dubstep.fm, huge fan. I emailed you cats about 3 or 4 months ago asking how I can get involved with you all but haven't heard back...I'd still like to volunteer (even though I'm not sure what I could do--I'm not a DJ and I don't know much about sound equip or anythign...but I'm sure you could use someone to lift stuff, or hold stuff, or bring people stuff, or something).

Shoot me an email at beaublumberg (a) gmail
beaublumberg

Postby Homiesinheaven » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:54 pm

if a participant is not in tune with the BM philosophy you should be cool and point it out, no need to be non-inclusive dicks about it. i went to the website and there's no banners or anything out of line so it looks like these guys mean well.

DopeLabs,

i discovered Dubstep for the first time last year at BM and look forward to checking out your camp! dont worry about promoting it at all, if you play that sweet bass people will flock to it.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Diverse » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Can't wait, only two more week's :) I will be sure to make it over to your camp a bunch.

So where are you going to be located at?

Come over to our camp as well. We will be playing tons of dubstep, along side with all the other bassline genre's of today, and tomorrow.

Energy Riders 10 and Inherit

See you all soon :D
Diverse

Postby Dephect » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Hell yeah Energy Riders!

I really want to know where Dubstep.fm is going to be though. I just bought a new solar powered radio. Ill be tuning in.
Dephect

Postby DopeLabs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 am

sorry not going this year.. seems people had an issue with us being there, including the burning man organization corporation.

peace!
DopeLabs

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 am

Woh, that sucks!

Dont know if you want to get into it but what the F happened???
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby DopeLabs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 am

dont really feel like getting into it... we will be attempting again next year though...
DopeLabs

Previous

Return to 2009 Art & Performance