Art Help

Art Help

Postby SpaceCowboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Ok, well I don't post here very often but I wish to bounce an idea off of seasoned BM attendees. I am hoping for constructive criticism and suggestions

My co-worker and I will be attending this year and we have been kicking around an art project idea. The project is an inflatable full scale blue whale. We have a full scale 3-D AutoCAD drawing of a blue whale and wish to transfer that to plastic. We were first considering black plastic but with the heat of the day we realize that may not be the best choice of materials. Then there is the issue of lighting. I assume all art on the playa must be lit at night in some form. Keeping it in place is also an issue. I am thinking a gas powered leaf blower would be adequate to keep it inflated.

So, any ideas or suggestions on a material? Lighting?
SpaceCowboy

Postby LisaLuckyOne » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Full scale? Tyeing that thing down so it can take a 40+ mph gust of wind is going to be a monumental challange.

Instead, imagine it roaming free, the way a whale should be, flattening everything in its path as it carelessly rolls/floats/swims through the fragile tent city that is Black Rock... The flotsam and jetsam of personal belongings left strewn in its wake... The faint calls of 'Medic!' from survivors...

Remember, safety third!
It's better to be Lucky!
LisaLuckyOne

Postby fbcota » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Lighting isn't too bad. You can get a number of solar powered yard lights and maybe box of batteries just in case the sun doesn't come out during the day. We have been doing allot of lighting research as we are installing an art installation of a similar size. We are using a mix of solar lights, battery powered lights and generator powered lights. There are lots of yard solar lights available for less than $30 with some as cheap as $5. Check at Target.com.

My first thought was using large rocks inside the piece to keep it from flying away. However, the chance of it ripping from the force of the wind seems pretty high. Maybe guy lines attached to 2ft steaks. You could even possibly run the guy lines inside the sculpture to avoid any tripping issues.

It would be great if you just tehered the thing to the ground and used hot air to make it float say 10 ft off the ground. Or maybe, it could fly at night when its cooler and stay on the ground during the day.
fbcota

Postby klondike_bar » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:04 pm

lighting is easy. as long as you dont have black plastic, light should shine through from inside and make the whole thing glow at night.

youve got 3 main things to contend with:

1) air pressure. a leaf blower SHOULD do it. however, if some dumbass tries climbing on it, or other weight is placed on it, it may not be enough.

2) tearing. dust, rouge moop/vehicles, vandals, and drugged out hippies running around blindfolded are all potential threats to your creation. Unfortunately, the thicker the material used to avoid this, the more expensive, and the less light will travel through (unless clear?).

3) wind. you need to REALLY tether this thing down. Anchor it to a car if you really need to. I (having not been yet) can only assume that dust storms are to quick/numerous to deflate every time one appears.

PS: if i am woken up by this thing knocking down my shelter, I know where you live. (or at least congregate online)
klondike_bar

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:11 pm

The wind is pretty fierce at times. And comes up pretty fast.

I used the same battery powered string of lights for three years in a row
(leaving them up 24/7) with no problem and then last year they got ripped to shreds during one of the wind storms.

You will need some serious tie downs and someone to be available to take it down in a hurry.
OnceTheDustClears

Postby gyre » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:42 pm

If it can't be lit from inside, bounce light off it to show the shape.
Reflective material works without power too.
Use LEDs or fluorescent.
gyre

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:44 pm

im thinking a clear or transparent blue plastic would rock, with blue lighting inside. (or pink, who cares?)
klondike_bar

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Think of the blow up lawn decorations that are so plentiful at Christmas time. It sound like you are trying to do something like that, only much larger. You may look at someplace like the dreaded K-Mart for one of these and get one very cheaply and then use the blowers, anchors and especially the ideas of how they do this. You may actually be able to use everything and make your own balloon whale for your project.
As far as lighting, you could use black reflective tape on it and solar lights placed around it. You would probably need a small generator to keep the whale inflated, so you could use that power for lighting if you want to.
Sham

Postby Finnegan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:49 pm

Maybe guy lines attached to 2ft steaks.

Careful. This will likely attract the rabid playa weasels at night. Maybe skip the whale thing and just do "2 ft. steaks camp"?
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Elliot » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:27 pm

:D
There have been a number of inflatable sculptures over the years, so it would seem to be doable:
http://images.burningman.com/index.cgi?q_photog=&q_category=&q_keyword=Inflatable&q_year=&skip=0

As for a suitable blower, you could try to find the folks who sell and rent such things for advertizing, and also the kids play house kind. From casual observation I suspect they use the kind of blower that is normally used to dry commercial floors after washing -- a big squirrel cage with the outlet at the bottom. There is at least one visible in those photos.

Could you park a motor vehicle inside this thing to hold it down? Maybe an old school bus? You could mount lights on the vehicle -- say, in the shape of a skeleton.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:19 pm

LisaLuckyOne wrote:Instead, imagine it roaming free, the way a whale should be, flattening everything in its path as it carelessly rolls/floats/swims through the fragile tent city that is Black Rock... The flotsam and jetsam of personal belongings left strewn in its wake... The faint calls of 'Medic!' from survivors...

Remember, safety third!

WOW.. I don't know what your budget is, but a full sized, lighted, whale inflated like a hot air ballon(without the people), being towed and floating around the open Playa.... say from 3am to sunrise(read:no wind), would be Fooking Kewl!!!!
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby oleg8888 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Life Size?
:idea:
Put a small car inside of it, it'll solve many problems
:idea:
oleg8888

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:15 pm

You could even make this whale a Mutant Vehicle, if you make the "balloon" in the shape of a tunnel, so it attaches to the outside of a vehicle.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby robotland » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:02 pm

I used to drive my dad crazy using all of his black and clear plastic to make inflatable structures- You don't need much of a fan to maintain pressure. If the whale is dark it'll act like the "solar tube kites" that collect the sun's heat and then rise like hot air balloons.
Perhaps if you include some "escape hatches" to let air out quickly it'll be easier to secure during a dustup. They make cool "instant door" stuff for construction sites, adhesive tape with a zipper (!) that you can apply to a plastic curtain wall to make openings wherever you desire.
Don't forget to include a few giant squid tentacle scars- You could make 'em out of GOOP!
Also don't forget that like so many things that sound like they'd be REALLY COOL AT BURNING MAN.....it's already been done.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:28 pm

I have one of those Christmas decoration snow men here -- he rides with me in Christmas parades. The material seems to be a fabric -- thin and densely woven, but a fabric, rather than a sheet of plastic. It is assembled by sewing, and seems quite resistant to tearing.

For material, how about you contact people who fly hot air balloons, and ask if they have any outdated baloons laying around?

There are very few thing that have not been done before. If it works, let's do it some more!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Return to 2009 Art & Performance