Fire arts / Poi assistance and lessons

Fire arts / Poi assistance and lessons

Postby klondike_bar » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Im interested in trying to learn either poin or another flame-art for burning man.

in a test experiment using twine and a large rubberband ball (not burning), i succesfully avoided hitting myself in the face or too many body parts. however, i was unable to get the correct wrist rotations that ive seen used to get the beginners spin going. (maybe because i have no finger loops?)

so, my questions:

1) what is the easiest/safest, and most visually apealing form of fire art?
2) Once on the playa, is there any people/camps that enjoy training others in the beginner skills, or even more advanced techniques?
klondike_bar

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:30 pm

There may be a fire troupe in your area. I know here in Utah we have a lot of performers who teach.

You can purchase practice poi online, once you have a set you'll have a guide for making your own.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby dangerpuss » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:37 pm

There are loads of instructional videos on youtube, not just for poi, but also for staff, hula, etc. This is something you can definitely teach yourself on your own, if you've got the attention span, the internet connection, and the dexterity.

If you look in your guide once you get on the playa, you'll be able to find folks holding teaching sessions and the like.

What holds appeal for most is anything that looks impressive/puts off a big flame. However, every person responds differently; some are drawn to the rhythmic action of the poi, some to the martial arts aspect of the staff, and some to the raw crack of the whip.
dangerpuss

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:20 pm

I can't afford poi so I just use old socks. I wrap them with wire and attach to a chain choker type dog collar. Soak in diesel and light. Try not to set yourself on fire.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:00 am

And when you do get to the stage where you light up, be certain to have a buddy standing by with a wet towel, fire safety is more important than you think.

(sez the old lady who is on the fire safety crew for the Utah conclave)
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:16 am

i enjoy it for the fire :p also, it looks cool at night.

about fire safety: if swinging a properly constructed, parrafin fueled fire poi and smack yourself in the leg, what will happen? (with and without [long] pants)

will it contact burn, or will it splash burning/hot fuel on you?
klondike_bar

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:01 am

It depends on how much fuel is on, impact speed, all sorts of things. Proper clothing, natural fibers is important. Look up how to make a bucket system to swing off excess fuel prior to spinning. Most of our performers haven't burned themselves while working. I've seen singed hair, and tangled poi, and scorch marks on pant legs. We carry honey packets for first aid, but have only used them once on fingers, the flaming sword was still hot after being extinguished.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Arantele » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:55 pm

I love Poi... wish I could do it.. I have a few friends who are into it tho.
Arantele

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:12 am

use combat cloth / duvetyne so your leg dont catch fire
Toolmaker

Postby DragginLady » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Last year, during a shift at Emergency Services, we treated a guy with a burn on his thigh; he was drunk while spinning the poi. It was kinda funny; not so funny when he came in a couple of days later with another burn and the same story......
DragginLady

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

I'm trying to learn how to spin poi. The first thing I learned was, if you buy LED poi from ebay, replace the plastic rings that connect the line to the swivels. Those break, and when they do you could send your balls into orbit (or over a locked fence, which is what happened to me). I've relpaced the plastic rings with small key ring loops. But on the other hand, LED poi, while not as impresive as fire, won't burn you while you are learning.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby klondike_bar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 pm

Bounce530 wrote:I'm trying to learn how to spin poi. The first thing I learned was, if you buy LED poi from ebay, replace the plastic rings that connect the line to the swivels. Those break, and when they do you could send your balls into orbit (or over a locked fence, which is what happened to me). I've relpaced the plastic rings with small key ring loops. But on the other hand, LED poi, while not as impresive as fire, won't burn you while you are learning.

heh heh... your balls went into orbit

...sorry, you were saying? :lol:
klondike_bar

Postby draco880 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm

As has been said, there are a lot of great resources online for this, and generally people who play with fire are willing to show you how in person. Two things, though: wear natural fibers, not polyester. Burning plastic attached to you = bad. Second, making your own fire toys is easy and lets you repurpose old skills. I, for example, took a lot of kung fu back in the day, and once I realized it sucked for fighting I made fire versions of all the old weapons. My favorite toy right now is a fire T'ai Chi sword. The only real trick is finding some place that sells kevlar wicking, but if you can't find one you can buy it online.
draco880

Postby Dephect » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:13 pm

[quote="klondike_bar"]

1) what is the easiest/safest, and most visually apealing form of fire art?
2) Once on the playa, is there any people/camps that enjoy training others in the beginner skills, or even more advanced techniques?[/quote]

1) It depends. I have been spinning poi for a year now. In that time I have practiced every day for at least a good hour or two. Honestly without sounding conceded I am to the point where I know all the basic moves like weaves, wraps, butterflies, buzz saw, etc in regular and reverse and I am moving on to more advance stuff like isolations, hybrids, behind the backs. Its all about how much time you want to put into it really. I think the easiest form of fire dance to get into is palm wicks or fire fans. Eventually your pyro instincts will want more fire though.

2) This is my first burn coming up so I really dont know. However Fire Excites Kinetic Theory or F-eKt (effect) is my fire tribe and it is a mixture of some veteran burners and first time burners. We will have a camp and be up there and everyone in the tribe is more then willing to teach anyone who wants to learn. We have all been spinning poi or doing other forms of fire dance for a year or more and have lots to teach :D

I am spinning fire for the Colorado Conclave this year as a first timer with the rest of my fire tribe :D All I have to say is dedicate at least a hour to practice everyday. I have been in the rave scene for 4 years and learned with glowsticks. A lot of my tricks came from just messing around and YouTube videos and online poi communities. Don't start fire unless your ready. Remember to try and stay away from polyester clothes because they melt to your skin. Make sure your fuel dump is well away from your spinning area. You have the skills that you have. Make sure you are fully comfortable doing a trick with fire before you do it.

Other then that have fun :)

Oh and by the way. Is spinning off on the Playa prohibited?
Dephect

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:56 am

I am on fire safety for the Utah conclave, although I do not camp with them. I know they spin as often as they can, which is a lot.

Other points:

1. If you are working with fire, have someone with a wet/damp towel in their hand nearby. Just hand one to an onlooker if you must, but have it there. If you tangle your flaming poi or set your hair on fire, you'll be glad you have help.

2. Packets of honey (steal them from Starbucks when you buy coffee) are great for a quick first aid on minor burns.

3. NO, spinning off on the playa is not cool. Lots of people do it, doesn't make it right. A simple spin off dual bucket system is simple to make. Only works for poi, but it is a start.

4. White gas is a preferred fuel as it is a safer performance fuel. Kerosene sticks to shit and will burn the snot outta ya. Side note: white gas or any other fuel must be transported in "appropriate containers". This counts more off palya than on, but your dip cans are not considered "appropriate". We transport the dip cans empty.

5. A glowstick dropped into your dip can at night makes refueling easier.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby pinemom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 am

Homemade practice poi:

you will need:
2 tennis balls(free at local tennis clubs, ask for deflated/old balls)
2 mens long socks (long tube socks)
2 handfuls of penny's

To assemble:
Take the tennis balls cut small slit with knife, insert about 30-50 penny's.
put each filled tennis ball in a sock.
knot off the top of sock.
The typical length you want is to be able to put the ball in your armpit, and the sock will reach your palm.

I learned how to do the basics (unlit) in 2003. I practiced for 3 yrs by myself because the fire conclave in my area conflicted with my work scedule.
In 2006 I joined the local fire conclave Controlled Burn reno. and after about 2 months with them, going to classes, I finally lit up 3 months before going to BM.
It wasnt till 2007 that I got to spin in the inner circle.

Patience is a extremely good virtue in this endeavor. Dont be an idiot and light up drunk at a party!
Never use Parathen! its gooey, and flys off your tools and hits object and PEOPLE!!!!

For good Fire tools....and I recommend that you have a professional set
( you'll love them as they respond better to being lit up and put out) and they are built strong!

Go to bearclaw, local burners in N.cal they are on the www.

Never Never light up without a safety person. wet towels, bucket of water, duvetane, carbonX, and make sure safety has a set of leather gloves on! your safety person is only as good as his safety equipment.
He's burning...your on your own!
NEVER spin fire in a TU-TU!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 am

www.expertvillage.com

some decent vids n stuff on there
Toolmaker

Postby Dephect » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:07 pm

[quote="AntiM"]
1. If you are working with fire, have someone with a wet/damp towel in their hand nearby. Just hand one to an onlooker if you must, but have it there. If you tangle your flaming poi or set your hair on fire, you'll be glad you have help.

3. NO, spinning off on the playa is not cool. Lots of people do it, doesn't make it right. A simple spin off dual bucket system is simple to make. Only works for poi, but it is a start.

4. White gas is a preferred fuel as it is a safer performance fuel. Kerosene sticks to shit and will burn the snot outta ya. Side note: white gas or any other fuel must be transported in "appropriate containers". This counts more off palya than on, but your dip cans are not considered "appropriate". We transport the dip cans empty.

5. A glowstick dropped into your dip can at night makes refueling easier.[/quote]

Ill extend a bit :)

1. Make sure you smother the flame with the towel for a good 5-10 seconds. I have seen wicks light up again after they are smothered out.

3. Thanks for the info. Will a lit spin off burn the Playa? I have some spin off cans for my poi. Just curious though :)

4. White Gas is the best gas for your wicks. Kerosene is really smoky and burns your wick out faster. White Gas is a lot cleaner too and I know this doesnt really matter but flaming balls of White Gas sound a lot cooler then Kerosene when they are being spun around :)
Dephect

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Dephect wrote:3. Thanks for the info. Will a lit spin off burn the Playa?
I don't think so, but that's not the issue. We are trying to leave as little pollution, even that sort of pollution as possible. If your car has an oil leak, put a cardboard underneat during the event.
Fire can damage the playa ("burn scars") but I think that that is a more sustaned exposure. If you are burning a structure as part of the art, there are specific regulations as to what you have underneath.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dephect » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:55 pm

I understand. It was just a simple question :D
No need to get all lecture on me..
Dephect

learning poi and stuff.

Postby haptotrope » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:56 am

www. homeofpoi.com

www.playpoi.com

that and the attached communities will get you started... tons of beginners and beginners questions are answered.
haptotrope

Return to 2009 Art & Performance