59%
Definately needed more fire.
28%
Didn't notice a lack of fire.
14%

Total votes : 29

Fire...where was it?

Postby Anastasia » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 pm

I don't know if it was just the lack of fire dancers before the man burned, or even if it was just me. But 08 showed a scarry lack of actual fire. there were no fire spinners besides fire idol stage. I'm thinking of walking around the playa(in the middle where no one will be burned) and enjoying the hell out of my fire. I know i'll have fire poi and my boyfriend has a fire staff over 5'. we don't have a theme camp yet, but i wanna run w/ this fire performance idea. just add-libed fire out on the playa. Any takers?
Anastasia
Here, have a cookie!
(::)
Anastasia

Postby Lambic » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:08 pm

it may have had something to do with...., CRAZY WIND FACTORS!!!!

::insert doom effects::

I think I was blind for the week, Im not positive, but I just saying I could be a little bias.
Lambic

Postby Anastasia » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 pm

I do understand the crazy winds affecting the performance before the man burn, but there was a sad lack of fire the rest of the week too. it was my first year, so i can't personally compare, but it was my boyfriend's 3rd year and he agrees w/ my lack of fire observations. i expected a lot more burning at burning man.
Here, have a cookie!
(::)
Anastasia

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Every year is different.

And it's not a bad idea to find out where the fire dancers are camping and hang out. Apparently, they find excuses to spin quite easily.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 am

I did not notice a lack of fire at all, but I suppose I am biased.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:12 am

Yes, I would have to say the nights I was out and about, there was ample fire to go around.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 am

lets burn reno this year.

just a thought.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby klondike_bar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I plan to devise some flammable methods/procedures for burningman.

i looked at fire breathing, but realised that i suck at "misting" and dont relish the concert of having people dance around as i burn to death in an epic display of "preformance art"
klondike_bar

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Perhaps we can find a way to simulate the fire. After all, it's more important to be safe than to have fun.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 pm

How about a television with one of those VHS tapes of a fireplace? And plenty of reserved seating in front of the TV. You show up late, you wait 'til we get to the end of the tape and rewind it.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 pm

That would look good slapped upon Jellyfish's prosthetic forehead.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:30 am

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:How about a television with one of those VHS tapes of a fireplace? And plenty of reserved seating in front of the TV. You show up late, you wait 'til we get to the end of the tape and rewind it.

If it saves just one live, then it will not have been in vain.

;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:42 am

Destiny Lounge is also home to Spirit's Fire, an LA based fire spinning group. We had numerous fire spinning displays at our camp over the course of the week. I think a lot of it just depends on being in the right place at the right time.

Here's a link to the new website still getting put together:
http://www.spiritsfiregatherings.com/

Look for more vids and pics coming soon, including some from 2008 at Destiny Lounge!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

anyone stop by Iron Native?

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Yup, as stated above, wind played havoc with fire projects mine included in 2008.

This is my crazy one-man backyard creation that I had high hopes for being a giant fire torch 8 nights of the week out on the playa, located on the 9 walkway halfway to the man:
Iron Native

The center column was filled with wood and lit at 9PM...on the 5 nights that the winds were calm enough. The most perfect night, Tuesday, I was dark because somehow the Artery fire team didn't get me on Rosie's burn list for that night...oh well.

Even when lit it didn't go up as planned because I needed CALM and it was always breezy!!! The design was for the whole column to burn at once within an hour, pulling in air from the sides and really getting HOT...but the wind blew the fire out the sides and resulted in a small 3-5ft fire on the bottom that was fed by the wood above nicely dropping down as needed...and keeping me out there fire tending for 5 hours on 5 nights...sigh. Got to meet some nice folks though, had marshmallows on Saturday night even!
(note all the coals...had to sift those up daily too...needed bigger ash catcher on bottom)

All-in-all it was a rewarding project, took up too much time, but I had some awesome helpers from burners, DPW heavy equipment, Artery Art Support, and Placement among them.

Yeah, more fire on the playa!!! (but Iron Native is taking a rest 2009).
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:36 am

I think you had it going when I stopped there while driving around fri? night.

(BTW- your dogtag is my only piece of schwag from last year that did'nt get ripped off out of my RV....it was still in my MV !!!)
oneeyeddick

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 pm

You was robbed?? Damn that sucks. Hope the idiots pay. Heh, yay for the dogtag at least. 2009 will be better!!! :twisted:
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby pinemom » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 am

because of the wind factor 08 we wernt allowed to do the traditional fire performing of all the other years.
was safety issue.

for whatever reasons they think that most everyone would rather see pyrotechniques rather then live humans performing.

So with all the pyrotechniques wired up and ready to go, they made an executive desession to go with the fire works vs humans.

My personal feeling, it was crappy. We always look forward to doing what we concider the most sentimental performance of our entire year, but with the growing idea of more fire more pizazz, looks like the human fire is underrated.

No offense our fire executives...I just like man made fire dance better then fire works.
I couldnt even perform this yr due to bad injury on Monday, but my Burner baby(dtr) was sooooooooooooooo Bummed. they had to just sit there....thats hard on adults. But man do it to a 15 yr old. she was very very bummed!

upside, that next wee hour morning before light, apparently lots of performers spun fire together around the MAN!

Anastasia, if you go this year, you can see LOTS of performers on the Shiva Vista platform! round 730 and open esplande
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Perhaps we can find a way to simulate the fire. After all, it's more important to be safe than to have fun.

Are you sure you're talking aboout the same Burning Man Festival I go to?
Marscrumbs

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:35 am

We hauled a cart of fuel out to the circle for the Utah conclave, in the duststorm, we could barely see. Then it was sit around and wait. Interact with a real asshole sitting on the front row. No fire. Hauled the fuel back to camp. Hauled it over to the fire camp the next morning.

yeah, I like it better when there's actual fire. We're already on fire safety fr this year.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mojo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:51 am

Usually you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a fire dancer. (I really like that mental image)

One of my sons is a fire performer and was bummed too.
mojo

wind-proofing

Postby matisse » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Last year I was part of the team that presented the Flamethrower Shooting Gallery - which involves four small liquid-fuel flamethrowers. Wind was definitely a factor and this year we plan to add some wind-screens to reduce our exposure at least in lighter winds.

The whole idea of being able to produce fire in heavy wind is an interesting one, and I am curious what solutions other people have thought of.
You Too Can Burn The Man!
http://www.matisse.net/flamethrower/
matisse

Postby oscillator » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Tues night @ Shiva was incredible.

\osc
oscillator

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:11 am

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:How about a television with one of those VHS tapes of a fireplace? And plenty of reserved seating in front of the TV. You show up late, you wait 'til we get to the end of the tape and rewind it.

Down in front!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:23 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:

Down in front!

dont worry! ive got the DVD version (really!). besides looping forever, it will play various christmas carols or just crackle. You can even change the colour of the flame!
klondike_bar

Postby DaftBrian » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Hmm, fire conclave anyone? I saw some moves that I'd actually never seen before this year too. Triple J, Jay the Japanese Jew was tearing it up so hard and even spun for a while at our camp. Still gotta get those pics out to him... The wind was a biggie as I understand it in the factor of even burning the man on friday night. Calling off the fire dancers must've been a hard decision to make.
He appears mad indeed but to a few, because the majority is infected with the same disease. [Lat., Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo jactatur eodem.]
DaftBrian

Return to 2009 Art & Performance