Creating something Amazing on the cheap.

Creating something Amazing on the cheap.

Postby MoisturePup » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Money can't buy everything as they say... this year many of us, and our friends, and campmates, are going to be dealing with financial doomsday scenarios.

How do you do Burning Man on the cheap, yet not be a spectator. How do you put out something amazing, that cost more in the way of time than money?
MoisturePup

Postby klondike_bar » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:33 pm

art is typically achieved by two different paths: creativity and funding.

if you are creative enough, you will need little or no money to create something fantastic.

start off with the contents of the grocery store recycling bin for example...
what can you build with large amounts of cheap/free cardboard or aluminum strips?

If you can build something wonderous from cardboard, then maybe you will feel more confident to instill some funding (or seek funding) to reconstruct it from a more stable medium (plywood, sheetmetal)
klondike_bar

Postby MoisturePup » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 pm

klondike_bar wrote:art is typically achieved by two different paths: creativity and funding.

if you are creative enough, you will need little or no money to create something fantastic.

start off with the contents of the grocery store recycling bin for example...
what can you build with large amounts of cheap/free cardboard or aluminum strips?

If you can build something wonderous from cardboard, then maybe you will feel more confident to instill some funding (or seek funding) to reconstruct it from a more stable medium (plywood, sheetmetal)

Not every creation has to be a physical thing either. Maybe somebody could create a new "culture" or "religion"
MoisturePup

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 pm

I gotta go find those golden tablets I left in the hills.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Creating something Amazing on the cheap.

Postby bdeywoo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:50 pm

[quote="MoisturePup"]Money can't buy everything as they say... this year many of us, and our friends, and campmates, are going to be dealing with financial doomsday scenarios.

[b]How do you do Burning Man on the cheap, yet not be a spectator[/b]. How do you put out something amazing, that cost more in the way of time than money?[/quote]

EFFORT! Its obvious to those around you, cheap and lasts as long as one can stand it.

You could go work at the ice or coffee stations take the tips you made and walk over to the line and buy the next # of people their coffee or Ice. Even better make those in line clamor for your service, ask some stupid riddle or make them do the centipede on the ground.

Voila free entertainment for all, participation for you and not your wallet.

I can say though work 3 days at Arctica and you will know you've done more for the event than 85% of those in attendance. We always need help over there.
bdeywoo

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:56 pm

MoisturePup wrote:Maybe somebody could create a new "culture" or "religion"

Never expect "someone" to "do it for you".

What do you have in mind? This is a good time to brainstorm.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MoisturePup » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
MoisturePup wrote:Maybe somebody could create a new "culture" or "religion"

Never expect "someone" to "do it for you".

What do you have in mind? This is a good time to brainstorm.

I've been thinking a lot about it. An "experience" doesn't have to be physical and could be something creative that exists through a character you create. Maybe you create a character who is a cult leader, and then you create the religion he is the leader of, then you create some (inexpensive) alters, or religious paraphernalia... and on down the road.
MoisturePup

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:51 pm

:D
As mentioned already, forget making things; DO something! Can you play a musical instrument, or sing decently? In my humble opinion, Black Rock City desperately needs strolling minstrels.

One of my finest memories from 2008 is listening to a lady playing acustic guitar and singing in front of her tent -- I simply COULD NOT keep going down the street.

If you cannot play or sing, then perhaps form a little theatrical troupe and perform skits.

Since I couldn't carry a tune even if you gave me a basket, I do bicycle repair. Granted, this consumes some money in the form of inner tubes and other parts, but I can minimize this by patching tubes, and I collect usable tires and other parts all year. Seems to me, this is the sort of thing that makes a Community.

So take stock of your skills and talents and interests, and I bet you can find your role in the community of Black rock City, even without an Art Thing.

Edit: A goofy "religion"? You bet! There's your theatrical skit right there!

Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:12 pm

??????? I figured you had this pretty nailed by now, MoisturePup.....

Look thru the BM pics on this site again, especially the "People".......... some of the most simple, cheap, interactivity are my personal favorites........ And it will make you smile, if nothing else.......... :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:52 pm

I always chat with Abo for an hour at BM. he simply chats and offers advice if asked. Looks pretty cheap to set up to me.

Theres all sorts of things you can do to interact and be cost effective.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby littleflower » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:41 pm

which one's abo?
littleflower

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:35 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:??????? I figured you had this pretty nailed by now, MoisturePup.....

Look thru the BM pics on this site again, especially the "People".......... some of the most simple, cheap, interactivity are my personal favorites........ And it will make you smile, if nothing else.......... :D

I've gone with all sorts of camps at this point. A couple yeras with Vietnamese Iced Coffee Camp, then with the Astropups a medium sized camp, then with Comfort & Joy. I've been in leadership positions with all three camps at some point.

Yet... I feel like I haven't achieved a level of personal creativity when it comes to my own ideas and visions.

I've always had this grudge against religion, and the idea of inventing one and then being a devout for the week is something that has gotten me thinking.

I was thinking of basing the religion on the duality of destruction and creation, and then throw in a bunch of comical rules, stir, and then served chilled over ice.
MoisturePup

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:42 am

200 Used Pallets = Free
50 Scrap Tires = Free
50 Gallons Gas = 100 bucks

Combine and light for an amazing fire with plenty of smoke and a nice aroma.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:30 am

Toolmaker wrote:200 Used Pallets = Free
50 Scrap Tires = Free

Hmmm.... I respectfully disagree with this suggestion. Hopefully, it was ment in jest.
200 pallets take almost half an 18-wheeler to haul. Tires make awful nasty stinky unhealthy sticky smoke.

So I still like the Goofy Religion idea. Don't forget pointy hats!

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:33 am

MoisturePup wrote:
thisisthatwhichis wrote:??????? I figured you had this pretty nailed by now, MoisturePup.....

I've gone with all sorts of camps at this point. A couple yeras with Vietnamese Iced Coffee Camp, then with the Astropups a medium sized camp, then with Comfort & Joy. I've been in leadership positions with all three camps at some point.

Yet... I feel like I haven't achieved a level of personal creativity when it comes to my own ideas and visions.

I've always had this grudge against religion, and the idea of inventing one and then being a devout for the week is something that has gotten me thinking.

I was thinking of basing the religion on the duality of destruction and creation, and then throw in a bunch of comical rules, stir, and then served chilled over ice.

Sounds good, go with it!
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey Moist, part of the scheme for Barbarian Camp MAY include a mysterious ancient civlization - which will stand in stark contrast to the barbarians. (All in good fun of course.) We might be abel to use your efforts to this end.

Consider becoming a barbarian for a week. No need for a Schwarzeneggeresque build, of course. We'll have berserk homemade music, boffer fights and the odd eldritch ritual. If you're up to it.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:40 pm

ygmir wrote:I gotta go find those golden tablets I left in the hills.........

Ummm, ygmir, uh, about those golden tablets, I, ummmm, uh, I sorta ate them :oops:

ya want the, ummm, results back?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Sail Man wrote:

Ummm, ygmir, uh, about those golden tablets, I, ummmm, uh, I sorta ate them :oops:

dang............
I was all set to start a new religion.....................

if you give me the results, we'll just end up mormon...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Hey Moist, part of the scheme for Barbarian Camp MAY include a mysterious ancient civlization - which will stand in stark contrast to the barbarians. (All in good fun of course.) We might be abel to use your efforts to this end.

Consider becoming a barbarian for a week. No need for a Schwarzeneggeresque build, of course. We'll have berserk homemade music, boffer fights and the odd eldritch ritual. If you're up to it.

See, now, I like the idea of layers, a lore that has to be found within the camp. It's hidden in like a secret room off of the main structure that can only be found if one is really snooping about.
MoisturePup

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:22 pm

ygmir wrote:
Sail Man wrote:

dang............
I was all set to start a new religion.....................

if you give me the results, we'll just end up mormon...............

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:42 pm

ygmir wrote:if you give me the results, we'll just end up mormon...............

I would go for the time before they realized that polygamy, booze and firearms didn't go together. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
ygmir wrote:if you give me the results, we'll just end up mormon...............

I would go for the time before they realized that polygamy, booze and firearms didn't go together. ;)

good point................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby littleflower » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Hey Moist, part of the scheme for Barbarian Camp MAY include a mysterious ancient civlization - which will stand in stark contrast to the barbarians. (All in good fun of course.) We might be abel to use your efforts to this end.

i would like to volunteer as sacrificial virgin ... or fertility goddess ....
littleflower

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:57 pm

littleflower wrote:

to be a sacrificial virgin, (just speculating here), would you not need to be born again?...........

a "born again virgin" as such..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Sham » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 pm

One of my favorite art installations was the Scrap Eden from 2007. This was a very inviting fenced in park area with seats and a small house facad. I think there was a piano there too. I had a great time relaxing and meeting people there. I don't think this was a very expensive installation as it was made from mostly junk.

I guess you just need to be creative and let your imagination run wild and you can create one of the best art installations----EVERRRR!
Sham

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:38 am

Elliot wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:200 Used Pallets = Free
50 Scrap Tires = Free

Hmmm.... I respectfully disagree with this suggestion. Hopefully, it was ment in jest.
200 pallets take almost half an 18-wheeler to haul. Tires make awful nasty stinky unhealthy sticky smoke.

So I still like the Goofy Religion idea. Don't forget pointy hats!

So if I can get an 18 wheeler I can bring 400 pallets! AWESOME!!
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 am

Elliot wrote:So I still like the Goofy Religion idea. Don't forget pointy hats!

Right. Everyone makes their own pointy hat, and the object of worship is a giant green rabbit, called Big Bunny!
Who's in?
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:35 am

ygmir wrote:
littleflower wrote:

to be a sacrificial virgin, (just speculating here), would you not need to be born again?...........

a "born again virgin" as such..........

Everyone's a virgin at something....
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 am

So if I can get an 18 wheeler I can bring 400 pallets! AWESOME!!

Even more! I have hauled 570 pallets in a 53 foot trailer.

(Scary, isn't it... that I have such trivial information at my fingertips!) :lol:

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:15 pm

littleflower wrote:

Anyone who is interested in Barbarian Camp, please PM me. It would be best if we are all in the same area so we can meet more easily pre-burn.
Ugly Dougly

Next

Return to 2009 Art & Performance