Psy / Prog House Dj looking for a place to play at this year

Psy / Prog House Dj looking for a place to play at this year

Postby Arantele » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:18 am

Hey everyone, I'm a progressive house and psy trance dj looking to get some time playing at any of the sound camps, or the like. I used to play parties from California to Reno to Arizona. most recent event was on NYE which was awesome..

If anyone can help let me know :-)

Thanx
Aran
Arantele

Postby klondike_bar » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 pm

sounds fun! can you post a link to one of your tracks/mixes? It may help to prove that your different then anyone else who wants to become a playa DJ.

(Im assuming that many theme camps have entire lists of willing DJs and can only accept a few based on thier music)
klondike_bar

Postby pinemom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 am

....and we have a winner!

FIRST DJ to post "I wanna play at your camp" for 2009!!!!

Drum roll~~~~~~

Tell them what they have won John....

"they have won the oppertunity to look up "stages seeking performers and performers seeking stages"
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 pm

^^haha. i forgot about that thread. :oops: definitely where you want to be posting though
klondike_bar

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 am

FIRST DJ to post "I wanna play at your camp" for 2009!!!!

i believe AVON makes a spray that will keep the little buggers away.

it contains the new chemical getajobassium and combines it with a special compound known as Uaintallthatinn to create a potent mixture of getthefuckouttahereyoulazyhiphoppy.

available at Walgreens.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby pinemom » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:25 am

{{giggles}}
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Arantele » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:23 am

Thanx for the support I guess? had I seen the thread I would have posted there...
Arantele

Postby klondike_bar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 am

dont worry. theres only one way to deal with these guys, and it must invole Sanrk and/or horrifically bad puns/jokes
klondike_bar

Postby Medium » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:17 am

Okay, I can understand that there seem to be a LOT of DJ's attracted to the burn (me included) and a lot of them seem very focused on dj'ing but I don't think that's really the case as much as people think. Though I haven't been to Burning Man before this year (virgin flesh here) I can tell you that I've had lots of parties where almost EVERYONE there was a dj. Mostly we talk about music, or art or politics, but mostly we talk about and enjoy music together as a group. We feel connected in a way that people who don't hear music the way we do may not understand.

Not all dj's are created equal either, and there's something magical about being in the right place at the right time with the right music. More often than not the right music, makes the place and time seem right as well. I've been spinning for about 10 years, and I can tell you there is a huge difference between someone that plays music and someone that dj's. Its a connection with the pulse of the crowd that makes a good dj an artist and not just a human version of an iPod playlist...

That being said, yes, everyone is not a dj. The following short checklist will tell you if YOU are....

1. You have vinyl records but hardly ever play them anymore...

2. You can't stand to listen to dead air between tracks

3. You listen to the same track 20 times in row thinking of different places that it can drop into your next set.

4. When listening to the radio you start remixing the songs in your head

5. When listening to CD's/Records you heard other songs in your head
while one is playing, and its not the next one on the CD or even the same artist.

6. You're broke all the time.

7. You spend way more on equipment and music than you make from playing in clubs or other venues.

8. You have more than 2 versions of the same song.

9. You love the guy in the club that's blowing the whistle

10. You HATE that guy that won't stop blowing the whistle.
Dance like no one is watching...
www.medium-music.com
Medium

Postby Tamino » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:04 pm

I agree with you. I've DJ'd at a club for two years every week and one thing you need to do as a DJ is adapt to the crowd. Unless you are Carl Cox, Junior Vasquez or Paul Oakenfold you then the crowd comes to you for the type of music that you play.

For me there are many different "TYPES" of DJ's:

1. The record/cd player
This DJ just plays music and usually has breaks in the music. Ick!
2. The song picker.
This DJ picks popular songs and plays them on two tables/CDplayrs or
tracks on a computer.
3. The Beat Mixer.
Possibly the most basic form of a DJ. This person understands music, how
it is composed and how to make up a set.

Above 3 would be your typical Good DJ who can compose, remix and produce quality sets live. My personal inspiration was hearing some of Frankie Knuckles disco songs played over techno beats. From what I'm told that was the beginning of "House" music because it was created in a club called the Warehouse in Chicago. Other inspirations:

Dave Guetta
Paul Oakenfold
Paul Van Dyke
Joe Burmudez - Friend from Boston
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Tamino

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for reminding me to bring my iPod.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby 303jewels » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:17 am

Tamino wrote :

''My personal inspiration was hearing some of Frankie Knuckles disco songs played over techno beats. From what I'm told that was the beginning of "House" music because it was created in a club called the Warehouse in Chicago.''

Hey Tamino - cannot tell you how refreshing it is for me to find someone who mentions 'house' on eplaya.

What I miss about 'mixing' these days is the D.J's general unwillingness to mix different genres. Up untill about 1990, acid, house, techno were all mixed together. It wasn't exactly'slick' but it totally kicked. Recently I lended a couple of boxes of my 12" 'doubles' to a mate who is a modern tech-house and deep house D.J, all the tunes I lent where 87 - 1991. Hes good at what he does, plays in some of the better London joints, point is he couldnt mix the tunes I gave him, he didnt have a clue despite knowing a lot of them and really liking the rest.

My tip is 'mix it up', forget about keeping it in key with gradual 'lifts' etc - just keep jabbing stomping tracks in!...... forget genre!
I've got an old Carl Cox tape from 1989 (I've got loads of tapes) its not the best, but all the genres at the time are mixed together, its a little rough, but it is fresh, exciting, still is!!!!!!!!!

Whether one is a trance, techno or house dj there is a particular vibe that you are trying to achieve!! Its worth looking into the past a bit - it is 'how it was done' and it is not a vibe that you can improve on!!!!! - Don't be mistaken! I hope one of you D.J's out there can bring that vibe back!!! Dont follow fashion like most of the big name D.J's have. That would be a shame.

Make it house, mix it up and make it happen. One more thing, if you dont love 'it' then it shouldn't be in your music collection!!!! Stay broke, be proud! Dont 'trance'....DANCE.

Despite your (Arantele's) thread being in the wrong place, i hope it remains constructive - also hope your idea of progressive house is the same as mine.
Timeless motion..........
303jewels

Return to 2009 Art & Performance