Hott Ladiez need an Art Car w/ poles

Postby gyre » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:19 pm

A LeBaron?

You'll have to disguise that one.
Not for dmv rules...
Just for the sake of humanity.
gyre

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:22 am

theCryptofishist wrote:18 mph? They must have loved you.

Ya, my thought exactly. He deserved getting thrown on his ass.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:06 am

seems like we could lasso those pesky scooter speeders........kind of like calf roping..........

yeehaw.......

hog tie em for time, and, well, if anyone has any urges...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Stay on the subject of the car!

Postby Crankful » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:32 pm

I thought I mentioned that I was evolving (no more speeding through the middle of the playa (not the streets)). Any ideas on how to get by the extensive subjective inspection process by DMV would be more helpful than talking up my past sins! :twisted:
Crankful

Re: Stay on the subject of the car!

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Crankful wrote:I thought I mentioned that I was evolving (no more speeding through the middle of the playa (not the streets)). Any ideas on how to get by the extensive subjective inspection process by DMV would be more helpful than talking up my past sins! :twisted:

For the record, your post seemed to indicate a de-evolution considering you were going that fast and it was your FIFTH FUCKING YEAR ON THE PLAYA. You'd think you would have gotten the rules down after the first year.

And that car won't be approved. It has to be a MUTANT vehicle. Which means that it cannot look anything like a car. So covering it in shag or whatever won't cut it. It has to be MUTATED. So, you can't blame this on the subjectiveness of the DMV inspection process.

Slow learner, I guess.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:40 am

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:03 am

KISHA!

that was hot......i love it when you're all cranky and shit....

now tell him to get down and lick your dusty toes.....i'll take pictures.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Sham » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:04 am

Kisha, you used the word FUCKING in your post. This is not the friendly, welcoming kisha we all know and love. :shock:
Sham

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:39 pm

That guy just hit a nerve while my inhibitions were lowered. (one or two cocktails too many last night)

It seemed last year there were just so many of those gas scooters on the playa and all of them were running at top speed with no regard for anything or anyone. One of those bastards almost knocked me off my bike--this was after I had been negotiating doons and cursing them for knocking me off my bike most of the afternoon.

I guess I just took my repressed anger about it out on that poster. But I think he deserved it, no? :shock:

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 pm

*standing beside JK, nodding agreement*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:30 pm

:D
From what I understand.... Gluing crap onto a car is totally out -- and I very much agree. We need to evolve beyond that.

My own Playa vehicles have all been pedal powered so far, but it really isn't all that difficult to build stuff. I just mentioned an example over on Tribe (still kicking!), and I'll repeat it here: Most of you have seen The Exploratorium, the blue gazebo that floats magically along the Playa, with a pole in the middle. It was mentioned some posts above. That thing is built on a Chevy S-10. The whole pickup truck is there, except the roof and windshield. The driver simply sits with his head up thru the floor of the gazebo. For transport to and from, the gazebo folds and stacks on top of the pickup and they tow it with a larger pickup.

You can do something like that on your LeBaron.

And for Dog's sake, let's get all those noisy little motorized scooters and boards and such off the Playa! Totally inappropriate for the event!
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Elliot wrote::D
From what I understand.... Gluing crap onto a car is totally out -- and I very much agree.

heresy
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 pm

heresy

Uh oh. Seems my friend Toolmaker and I have discovered a difference of opinion.
Luckily, in my book, it is perfectly OK to agree to disagree on various things, and still be comrades in arms. After all, life would be boring and stagnant if we all always agreed on everything. So invite you, Dear Sir, to stand by your opinion, as I stand by mine, and I'm looking forward to offering you a cold beverage on the Playa.

Elliot

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:03 pm

His name escapes me now, but didn't the artist that designed the temple for many years do some phenominal art 'cars'? These things were fantastic based on the pictures I've seen, yet I thing they were giving him a hard about them in recent years?

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Yes, David Best. We had a discussion about his "Art Cars" around here somewhere recently. Perhaps LeChatNoir's Contraption 2009 thread. Best was in the middle of the stuff-glued-on movement for many years. Then, (always "as I understand it") he built the long black rocket car and denounced the glued-on phenomenon in a film about the rocket car.

Also remember that Doc Pyro's pickup with all the neck ties glued on was declined in 2008.

Toolmaker, I'm aware from the Goop thread that you are doing some sort of glue-on. Please make sure what you build will be approved. I would hate to see you do a bunch of work for naught.

Edit: Ah yes, of course, you were in the middle of that David Best discussion, Toolmaker, with lots of photos. The most interesting thing for me, is in the video where Best declares himself to have outgrown glue-on. Of course, I would be lucky to stay within 20 years behind Best in anything he does!

Edit again: the David Best film:
[/url]

http://kqed02.streamguys.us/anon.kqed/s ... idbest.m4v

Elliot

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:57 am

Elliot wrote::D
Yes, David Best. We had a discussion about his "Art Cars" around here somewhere recently. Perhaps LeChatNoir's Contraption 2009 thread. Best was in the middle of the stuff-glued-on movement for many years. Then, (always "as I understand it") he built the long black rocket car and denounced the glued-on phenomenon in a film about the rocket car.

Also remember that Doc Pyro's pickup with all the neck ties glued on was declined in 2008.

Toolmaker, I'm aware from the Goop thread that you are doing some sort of glue-on. Please make sure what you build will be approved. I would hate to see you do a bunch of work for naught.

Edit: Ah yes, of course, you were in the middle of that David Best discussion, Toolmaker, with lots of photos. The most interesting thing for me, is in the video where Best declares himself to have outgrown glue-on. Of course, I would be lucky to stay within 20 years behind Best in anything he does!

Edit again: the David Best film:
[/url]

http://kqed02.streamguys.us/anon.kqed/s ... idbest.m4v

Being 36 I'm still a youngster and haven't done a gluey yet so I don't have Davids luxury of having BTDT and outgrown/evolved anything. I am not planning on bringing it to BM and am well aware of the "mutant" requirements (though I don't agree with the org 100 percent and feel art cars should still have a place). As you know I live in FL which is starving for art and needs more art cars. Mainly I'm doing it just to do it, plus I have all these toys from MacFarlane that are screaming to be taken from the walls and put on something mobile. My work will be nothing like David Bests but will be original. Part of the influence is OHMYGAWD and some of the other vehicles out by your neck of the woods.

As far as my mutant goes.. I'm leaning towards a fabric covered monstrosity that will be "street legal" without the outer frame and fabric attached. Something like the Chesire Cat except mine will be a Badger with a tophat. I've nuked the idea of a hotub in favor of flame effects and a small waterslide shooting out the ass of the Badger. I'm fixin on gettin the bed off the 1500 truck and converting to a flatbed sometime in March. By April I hope to have the frame and fabric covering sorted. A full size mutant is alot of work to do solo so it might not make it to the playa this year. I'm shooting for a 2010 appearance with a seating capacity of 10 participants minimum maybe even 14 depending on how much I wind up extending the length with my flatbed conversion.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Elliot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Ah... Toolmaker, my bright young friend, (I'm 57), now I understand. Two different vehicles for two different purposes. I'm very much in favor of both!

Ya know, Son, this internet communication thingie is clever enough, and even mighty useful. But difficult to use with any accuracy. No body language. No voice inflection. And I have to skip here and there to pick what I want to read, and disregard the rest -- constantly getting something wrong. And always trying to get away from this time sink quickly to do other things.

I wasn't aware that Florida is low on art. A most regrettable situation! So please carry on with the Art Car!

Now... I have a thought. Since you -- if I understand it correctly -- build custom cars and motorcycles, perhaps this is old hat to you, but I'll mention it for all vehicle builders' benefit:
There is an unfortunate phenomenon called "Buildt In Too Small A Garage." It means that the vehicle looks great while working on it, but somehow looks wrong when it is rolled outside and seen from a bit more distance. Proportions, lines, that sort of thing. The first time a person sees the vehicle is always from a distance, and that's the "ohmygawd" moment that we strive for.
Various colors and textures appear differently from a distance. I once designed a dragster parachute that was to look like the Norwegian flag. I know the correct proportions of that flag, and took those to the parachute shop. The man said "stop right there" and reminded me that the spectators would see this flag from a quarter mile away. So he sent me home to build a dummy flag and look at it from that distance. I did, and it looked all wrong. We had to change the ratios of the colors to make it look normal. Just something to keep in mind.

Carry on, Junior! :wink:

Elliot

thanks for all the love KJ!

Postby Crankful » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:02 pm

I did not run over any one and though in the wrong, I had an appointment at the Tokyo post office which I was late for. I went way out of my way to watch for all types of beings as I was zipping along....I get it, no more scooters! Which toe shall I lick first. Now back to my post....thanks for the framing ideas. Since Plush will be built on a convertible frame I probably can build a platform that will totally cover the car....keep the ideas coming.....and the insults........I can handle them! :roll:
Crankful

Re: Hott Ladiez need an Art Car w/ poles

Postby djnormanj » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:58 pm

Gypsy Stasia wrote:Basically, we provide the dancers & the entertainment, you provide the art car, we go out and have a good time.

Scrounging for parts to build as fast as I can! :D

~Norm

"I used to have a handle on life, then it broke!"
djnormanj

Previous

Return to 2009 Art & Performance