Gifts?

Postby Clown Shoes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:03 pm

If you can't lure a lovely lady into your camp with alcohol I have found that the seductive nature of an Otter Pop in the middle of a scorching afternoon to be irresistable.

Doc, bring me in on this Otter pop thing. Explain please, I'm a noob.
The trick to a successful life is believing in one's own bullshit.
Clown Shoes

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Otter pops YES! I brought over a hundred of 'em this year. They proved more popular than margaritas! (I don't understand or agree with that, but it wuz what it wuz.)
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby Clown Shoes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Never mind, I looked up Otter pops. Never seen them before :?
I have much to learn. BM gonna blow my mind.
The trick to a successful life is believing in one's own bullshit.
Clown Shoes

Postby ibdave » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Sail Man wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:FWIW I have always found that Barbies, wine, and the occassional beer make wonderful gifts. Oh, and Otter Pops. If you can't lure a lovely lady into your camp with alcohol I have found that the seductive nature of an Otter Pop in the middle of a scorching afternoon to be irresistable. Um, am I answering the question correctly?

I've seen Doc's ladies, Jem, and they're always a bunch of HOT dolls. And he always has a horde of them around, listen to him. Otter pops rule. :D

Doc is the Hugh Hefner of the Playa 8) 8) 8)

without the silk PJs.. :?
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Sail Man » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 am

ibdave wrote:
Sail Man wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:FWIW I have always found that Barbies, wine, and the occassional beer make wonderful gifts. Oh, and Otter Pops. If you can't lure a lovely lady into your camp with alcohol I have found that the seductive nature of an Otter Pop in the middle of a scorching afternoon to be irresistable. Um, am I answering the question correctly?

I've seen Doc's ladies, Jem, and they're always a bunch of HOT dolls. And he always has a horde of them around, listen to him. Otter pops rule. :D

Doc is the Hugh Hefner of the Playa 8) 8) 8)

without the silk PJs.. :?

I don't know, get him some bright orange jammies to match his hair and he may just be stylin :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Lambic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:31 pm

I was constantly finding things in my pockets that I had no memory of putting there.

Once I found a lollipop that was half eaten, but preserved in a condom rapper...

It was lime flavored[/i]
Lambic

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:33 am

Lambic wrote:I was constantly finding things in my pockets that I had no memory of putting there.

Once I found a lollipop that was half eaten, but preserved in a condom rapper...

It was lime flavored[/i]

The condom was?
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby wedeliver » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Lambic wrote:I was constantly finding things in my pockets that I had no memory of putting there.

It was lime flavored[/i]

You didn't put that stuff in your pocket. I did. That was my lollipop that I was saving for later. I hoped you liked it.

but the real question is.... what happened to the missing condom??

(I was hoping someone would wanna "suck on my lollipop")
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Lambic » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:19 pm

the condom was glow in the dark, but I wish the lollipop was too.

Were you the one who kissed me and then said, "This is for all the birthdays I missed"?
Lambic

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 am

im also stuck for gift ideas. I posted a thread in the q/a section about the possibility of gifting out custom matchboxes (who doesnt want portable fire?), but it seems to be shot down as potential moop or not personal.

unfortunately, not having been thier, i do not know what the common gifts are. what are past gifts that you have found especially nice? (from both friends and strangers)

my other idea is to make funky dollarama garbage cans (im pretty sure you can buy a plastic wastebasket there) to help locals contain the moop?
klondike_bar

Postby wedeliver » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:19 am

klondike_bar wrote:im also stuck for gift ideas. I posted a thread in the q/a section about the possibility of gifting out custom matchboxes (who doesnt want portable fire?), but it seems to be shot down as potential moop or not personal.

unfortunately, not having been thier, i do not know what the common gifts are. what are past gifts that you have found especially nice? (from both friends and strangers)

my other idea is to make funky dollarama garbage cans (im pretty sure you can buy a plastic wastebasket there) to help locals contain the moop?

I am looking at a Bic lighter with a sticker on it saying "Burning Man 2003" lighter hasn't worked in a while, don't know why I keep it... I think I can remember the person who gave it to me.. but not really.. maybe... can't tell...

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Lambic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 am

Regardless of anything that has ever been gifted in the past, if you really want someone to have something from you, it doesnt matter what it is. You could bring 10 thousand buttons with every geometric design in the known universe on them, and give them out all day for the entire week... BUT, if you dont really give a damn what you are shelling out, it really defeats the purpose.

For example!

I gifted my friend a lighter leash. He really could have used it, and he did. He must have raved and ranted about it for hours (I remember my first lighter leash too, and I loved it just as much). The next day I gifted the same friend a necklace that I had just finished making. I had a bunch of necklaces, and really, I just wanted to see him wear something I made. The truth is he never wore it. It wasnt special, and it wasnt needed, and it wasnt really "for him", it was just gifted to him out of... I dunno... randomocity?

Im not saying that the random gift factor is bad, it opens up infinate possibilities within everyone you could possibly meet. But really, if what you gift isnt something you would care about, then it isnt a gift... its just MOOP that you have turned over to someone else.

You know whats a great gift though? Candy... Who can turn down candy? Or Pizza... everyone loves pizza... or toast! or Inflatable toast at that
Lambic

Postby wedeliver » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:44 am

Lambic wrote:Regardless of anything that has ever been gifted in the past, if you really want someone to have something from you, it doesnt matter what it is. You could bring 10 thousand buttons with every geometric design in the known universe on them, and give them out all day for the entire week... BUT, if you dont really give a damn what you are shelling out, it really defeats the purpose.

For example!

I gifted my friend a lighter leash. He really could have used it, and he did. He must have raved and ranted about it for hours (I remember my first lighter leash too, and I loved it just as much). The next day I gifted the same friend a necklace that I had just finished making. I had a bunch of necklaces, and really, I just wanted to see him wear something I made. The truth is he never wore it. It wasnt special, and it wasnt needed, and it wasnt really "for him", it was just gifted to him out of... I dunno... randomocity?

Im not saying that the random gift factor is bad, it opens up infinate possibilities within everyone you could possibly meet. But really, if what you gift isnt something you would care about, then it isnt a gift... its just MOOP that you have turned over to someone else.

You know whats a great gift though? Candy... Who can turn down candy? Or Pizza... everyone loves pizza... or toast! or Inflatable toast at that

Great explanation above!

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Trailer tail lights make great gifts.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 pm

how are people generally with garbage moop?

in the city, most people would leave candy wrappers on the ground... that cant be let to happen on the playa obviously
klondike_bar

Postby SonOfUgly » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:29 pm

i passed out a few 100 jello shots, each one in a little plastic dixie cup...i also offered to take the cups back, most people stuck the little cups in their pockets or a backpack or something...but i did end up taking alot of them from people so they wouldnt just toss em on the playa
SonOfUgly

Postby Sail Man » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:39 pm

klondike_bar wrote:how are people generally with garbage moop?

in the city, most people would leave candy wrappers on the ground... that cant be let to happen on the playa obviously

If we catch you mooping just beware, the Hand of Man gives killer wedgies :twisted:

Sail Man

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:55 pm

good to hear. i like the leave no trace idea of burning man.

seeing how were no-good hippie cultists and all, right?
klondike_bar

Postby BAS » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Well, what would you like to receive? That might be a good place to start for ideas of what to give as a gift to others...
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby Lambic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Id like a bowtie. Ive seen a lot of gift ties, the regular long ones... but Ive always wanted a bowtie. And with that bowtie, you should show me how to tie it.

That would make any dust covered, unshaven, unbathed, hungry, stoned, lonely, horny, hardened, softened, dangerous, childlike, wanderer, look like the bee's knees!
Lambic

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:53 pm

^love that idea! haha thats snazzy
klondike_bar

Postby wedeliver » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:18 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Trailer tail lights make great gifts.

Dude you rock!

It is such a good feeling to have something that someone else can use. Being in the right place at the right time is what makes it work. I appreciate the opportunity to help. thanks for your kind words capt., but it's YOUR efforts, artistic and mechanical that really make this camping trip so very special.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Re: Gifts?

Postby asp3 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:04 am

[quote="JEM2387"]'Ello all. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area (if not please tell me the correct place) but I have an idea for what I am going to do for gifts this year. However I am going to need your help. I'm going to need your favorite quotes/sayings. They can be poems, quotes from movies, books, or one of your own. Anything memorable that sticks in your mind.
See you in about 300 days!
Stay beautiful everyone
Love, Jess[/quote]

Getting back to the original request here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Pasteur

"She wears her anger like a sweater" - from the song Another Day by Amiral Twin

"Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to shape it" - Bertol Brecht
Immature beyond my years
asp3

Postby BMSabre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:21 am

"Wherever you go, there you are."
BMSabre

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:15 pm

I found myself gifting packs of smokes, and sharpies. People really seemed to appreciate those, but the most fun I had gifting, was walking around with a huge bottle of Patron and a shot glass. Walking up to people and shooting them with tequila and then a bit of conversation.
My "take something/leave something" treasure box was a fun also.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby wannaberavin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:36 pm

The Otter Pops were WONDERFUL!!!
When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power the World Will Know Peace
wannaberavin

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:15 pm

hmm... what about bacon flavored otter pops? hmm...

*doggy wanders off pondering*
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Otter flavored bacon pops!!!!!!!!!11
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sail Man » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:05 am

Bounce530 wrote:I found myself gifting packs of smokes, and sharpies. People really seemed to appreciate those, but the most fun I had gifting, was walking around with a huge bottle of Patron and a shot glass. Walking up to people and shooting them with tequila and then a bit of conversation.
My "take something/leave something" treasure box was a fun also.

Hmmm, playa geocaching. Could be an interesting twist on the activity. Geocaches set up at camps and installations throughout the city. :D

Sail Man

Postby drutter » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:48 pm

I agree the best gift is one from someone you connected with or that really means something. Trinkets from strangers don't really do much for me.

On the night of the burn in 08, my girl and I ended up enchanted with magical potions, and in the tent talking dirty and trying to have sex. After an hour of loud attempt, the dryness and exhaustion got to us. In the morning, there was a brand new vibrating egg toy on our camp table.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Art & Performance