Gifts?

Postby klondike_bar » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:41 pm

drutter wrote:I agree the best gift is one from someone you connected with or that really means something. Trinkets from strangers don't really do much for me.

On the night of the burn in 08, my girl and I ended up enchanted with magical potions, and in the tent talking dirty and trying to have sex. After an hour of loud attempt, the dryness and exhaustion got to us. In the morning, there was a brand new vibrating egg toy on our camp table.

heh heh. im not sure whether you should thank the stranger, or wonder why they seemed to know just what you needed :p
klondike_bar

Postby BAS » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Laid by a vibrating toy chicken? :P
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby ygmir » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:45 pm

makes you a scrambled egg
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:10 pm

...it depends...

The gift I am most proud of was the lighting system I gifted to a wanna be MV owner that had just been denied a night liscence for not enough lights. My MV failed to make it to BM that year (blown tranny) so I had a shit load of stuff that I could not use. But others desperately needed....

I have also gifted my labor to worthy projects...

The stuff I bought at stores ended up being moop that was thrown out at home. Stickers are generally bad. Lipshit and other useful gifts can be a lifesaver (one virgin with me gave out "chap-dicks" she had made by cleverly combining a few scraps of cloth with a chap-stick)

My favorite gifts; A crude silver man on a necklace and a bunch of sage dressed up to look like the man (although I cannot figure out why for this one). Oh, and the Japanese fan that was hand decorated by a virgin I helped...

And Capt. Smashy's Sno-cones...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby JEM2387 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 am

[quote="Gietzen"]PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't just give out crap for the hell of it. a gift should have some meaning. If you're just handing out crappy necklaces to random strangers to say that you gave gifts, well I think you don't really see the point. Honestly some form of connection should be made, I only give gifts that A. People need, or B. I feel that I made some kind of connection with that person, and I want them to remember me somehow. I just know that some of the best gifting stories come about when there is real meaning behind it. Don't just go out and make some kind of bulk gifts, so you think you can gift as many people as possible. Also considering A LOT of it just gets lost on the playa, and picked up as MOOP.[/quote]

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond!! The internet is no longer my friend...
I promise I only have the best intentions for my gifting & every single piece I make is filled with love. I'm not making crappy necklaces, nor will they just be handed out at random :) I just needed quotes for inspiration loves.
To everyone- thank you viddy much! My idea has now expanded to the point the thoughts are beginning to dribble out of every orifice.
Stay Beautiful!!
JEM2387

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:47 am

Check out italian proverbs and sayings.
One is:

Your last suit has no pockets.

Many have more than one connotation.

'Cassa contra cassa." is one I remember.
House fighting house.
gyre

Postby accordionMan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:36 pm

first... favorite gifts I received on the playa:

A lighter with the words "Got fire?"

A pressed penny with "Burning Man 2001" on it.

Cold cherry ices.

Pendant necklace from NYRVANA looks like a NY subway token "good for one trip"

Pendant necklace made from Femo.. heavy detail of burning man icon

Gifts most appreciated that I gave out:

Amethyst crystal points (won't give them out ever again... too heavy to carry around in addition to my accordion.

Glass bead pendant necklaces... they were great but I had a problem with tangled ropes.

Last year I printed on a heavy paper with threads in it Playa Bucks... yes it was paper, but it was not treated as moop.

Now... on to my favorite quote:

Simplicity takes a lot of doing: Henri Matisse.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby moonsauce » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:06 am

inspiring and uplifting quotes, eh?
my personal favorite (actually i think i stole it from an issue of pissclear... which by the way does anyone know if theyre coming back into print for 09??) goes a little bit like this:

"Burning man sucks. Dont go."

ah, inspiration...
nosleepingnosleepingnosleepingnosleeping...
moonsauce

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 am

On the night of the burn in 08, my girl and I ended up enchanted with magical potions, and in the tent talking dirty and trying to have sex. After an hour of loud attempt, the dryness and exhaustion got to us. In the morning, there was a brand new vibrating egg toy on our camp table.

the essence of being Canadian.
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gyre » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:

the essence of being Canadian.

There isn't a locked door in the entire country.
gyre

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:55 pm

hey, i wistfully look across the lake on bleary days and fantasize about health care and some semblance of culture and metropolitan excitement.

the trans-siberian orchestra is a major event on our side of the now defunct not so fast ferry, a 40 million dollar floating white elephant that ran from here to toronto for one season.

and a thing known as "The Garbage Plate" is our culinary claim to fame...

yeah, i'm, bitter.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby LisaLuckyOne » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Out of curiousity I just perused Nick Tahou Hot's online ordering form and I'm left wondering - what in God's name is a "white hot dog"?

Please don't let it be what I'm thinking...
It's better to be Lucky!
LisaLuckyOne

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:11 pm

i cant tell.....they WILL kill me.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:04 pm

ok, since it seems to be public knowledge, available to any schmoe with google, here it is...

White hot
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For information on materials glowing white due to temperature, see Incandescence.
The white hot is a variation on the hot dog eaten mostly in the Rochester, New York area. It is composed of some combination of uncured and unsmoked pork, beef, and veal; the lack of smoking or curing allows the meat to retain a naturally white color. White hots usually contain mustard and other spices, and often include a dairy component such as nonfat dry milk.
The white hot originated in the 1920s as a poor man's hot dog made of the less desirable meat parts and various fillers; in contrast, the modern versions are made from quality meats and generally are sold at higher prices than common hot dogs.
The best-known producer of the white hot is Zweigle's. Even though they were not the first to make the dog, they were "the first ones at the stadium" (according to Robert Berl, the first maker of the Zweigle brand white hot). Soon after Berl began making the dogs in 1925, he secured a contract at the Red Wing Stadium.
Even though it remains a Rochester, New York specialty, Zweigle's ships its white hots all over the world. It has become the official hot dog of the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Rochester Amerks and Rochester Rhinos and was the official hot dog of the Washington Nationals during the major league baseball team's first season.
There is an unrelated white German sausage, traditional in Bavaria and popular in the mid-western United States, known as weisswurst, which is made primarily from veal.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Re: Gifts?

Postby a sea of dirac » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 pm

[quote="JEM2387"]'Ello all. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area (if not please tell me the correct place) but I have an idea for what I am going to do for gifts this year. However I am going to need your help. I'm going to need your favorite quotes/sayings. They can be poems, quotes from movies, books, or one of your own. Anything memorable that sticks in your mind.
See you in about 300 days!
Stay beautiful everyone
Love, Jess[/quote]
the capacity for quotation negates the need for original thought......
a sea of dirac

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:40 pm

"A nice quote."

Oscar Wilde

Enable bbcode and smilies on your profile and on posts.
gyre

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:51 am

Not really into the trinket thing. Unless it's from someone you know and it has meaning.

You can't go wrong with sharing food and beverages. I had a huge water dispenser and filled up people's water bottles.

One of my favorite gifts was the guy randomly spraying people with the refreshingly cool water mister....ahhhhh.

And the Otter Pops. In '07 I was staggering back to camp from the Temple...overheated and emotional and suddenly out of the dust someone handed me an Otter Pop. OMG! Was it you? Delightful.

Surprising acts of kindness are the best.
OnceTheDustClears

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:52 pm

OnceTheDustClears wrote:One of my favorite gifts was the guy randomly spraying people with the refreshingly cool water mister....ahhhhh.
Problem with that is that some people just don't like it, and it has been used to dose people in the past. Always ask before misting.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 pm

I don't consider what's found in the porta potties exactly a gift...
but to each their own.
OnceTheDustClears

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
OnceTheDustClears wrote:One of my favorite gifts was the guy randomly spraying people with the refreshingly cool water mister....ahhhhh.
Problem with that is that some people just don't like it, and it has been used to dose people in the past. Always ask before misting.

^really, thats sounds like a wasteful method of drug administration...

that said, where can i find such misters? :p
klondike_bar

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Said Mr. Mister did ask
and people were lining up for his favors
even though it was just water.
OnceTheDustClears

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 am

I am considering the logistics of building an obstacle course, with a barbaric bead necklace given to all those who complete it - while supplies last! That would combine participation with gifting, and allow the gift to carry some meaning outside itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's about the idea that we should be striving for.
Ugly Dougly

Postby klondike_bar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:I am considering the logistics of building an obstacle course, with a barbaric bead necklace given to all those who complete it - while supplies last! That would combine participation with gifting, and allow the gift to carry some meaning outside itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's about the idea that we should be striving for.

sounds pretty nifty. you should find some kind of special-looking bead/stamped disk that makes it evident which camp it came from.
klondike_bar

favorite gift given

Postby accordionMan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Someone pointed out that:

"Gifts most appreciated that I gave out "

should have included my accordion playing on the playa and at center camp.

I never really thought of it that way... I just love playing my ol' squeeze box.

Soooooooo... if you play an instrument... bring it... giving of yourself is a wonderful gift.

If people like what you're doing they will hang out, listen and have fun. If they don't like your music, you'll never meet them.

Win-Win for everyone.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby klondike_bar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm

hmm, im pretty bad with musical instruments.

but i can play a mean guitar hero, does that count? or DDR? :lol:
klondike_bar

Postby accordionMan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:06 am

[but i can play a mean guitar hero, does that count?]

I'm not sure about guitar hero... but I know there's an accordion hero (true!) that would.

http://www.schadenfreudeinteractive.com/accordion.html
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
accordionMan

Postby Igneouss » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:41 am

Great quotes?
Zillion by Dorothy Parker:
A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika.

Brevity is the soul of lingerie.

I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true.

I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things.

I've never been a millionaire but I just know I'd be darling at it.
If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

If wild my breast and sore my pride,
I bask in dreams of suicide,
If cool my heart and high my head
I think "How lucky are the dead.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.

The best way to keep children home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant--and let the air out of the tires.

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
Dorothy Parker, 'But the One on the Right,' in New Yorker, 1929

They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Dorothy Parker, 'Fair Weather,' Sunset Gun, 1928

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do any thing. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more.
Dorothy Parker, Here Lies (1939), "The Little Hours"

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.
Dorothy Parker, Not So Deep as a Well (1937), "Comment"

Men seldom make passes
At girls who wear glasses.
Dorothy Parker, Not So Deep as a Well (1937), "News Item"

She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.
Dorothy Parker, speaking of Katharine Hepburn
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Previous

Return to 2009 Art & Performance