Mother's Milk evolved

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:30 am

Finally, the Career of "Wet Nursing" makes a comeback.

Maybe we can use this to alleviate some of the unemployment issues, as well as give a taste of the singularity of mankind to those who might be a touch racist.

chocolate milk anyone?

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby FilXeno » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:33 pm

You think they'd consider breast milk Vegan :?: :?:
FilXeno

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:44 pm

No.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby betrdanevr » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:47 pm

The Vegan Society says "The breast is best!" :D
betrdanevr

Postby wedeliver » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm

There is the International Breast Milk Project

http://www.breastmilkproject.org/

It sounds like some people here on eplaya find Breast Milk distasteful, I wonder if they were bottle fed? Were you? Perhaps it needs to be chilled first.

Maybe it's all in the marketing.

How does "BOOBY JUICE" sound? (wanna get a BJ?)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby goathead » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:13 pm

wedeliver wrote:There is the International Breast Milk Project

It sounds like some people here on eplaya find Breast Milk distasteful, I wonder if they were bottle fed? Were you? Perhaps it needs to be chilled first.

LMAO
goathead

Postby wedeliver » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:55 am

Peta's request to Ben and Jerry report from CNN from "News of the Absurd"

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/200 ... .milk.wptz

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:34 pm

wedeliver wrote:There is the International Breast Milk Project

Doesn't breast milk provide natural antibodies and boost a baby's immune system? What would that do with an adult's fully functioning system? And doesn't it sound a bit ... exploitive to sell breast milk for adults?

Actually, I was bottle fed. Child of the 50s, and my mom told me her doctors told her her ilk wasn't "strong" enough. Whatever.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:56 pm

AntiM wrote:Doesn't breast milk provide natural antibodies and boost a baby's immune system? What would that do with an adult's fully functioning system? And doesn't it sound a bit ... exploitive to sell breast milk for adults?

Actually, I was bottle fed. Child of the 50s, and my mom told me her doctors told her her ilk wasn't "strong" enough. Whatever.

The first milk is colostrum, it is the milk with all the antibodies and extremely rich in fat to jump start the new borns system.

If I remember right the newborns system can only use it in the first 12 hours not sure why.

We use to freeze extra colostrum for goat kids, if a doe kidded and had no milk we could take care of the kid then.
goathead

Postby betrdanevr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:50 pm

That's almost it, except it's low in fat (high in carbs, proteins, and like you say, antibodies).
betrdanevr

Postby goathead » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:25 pm

betrdanevr wrote:That's almost it, except it's low in fat (high in carbs, proteins, and like you say, antibodies).

Your right, I just assumed it was high in fat. The goat colostrum looked almost like butter, and is thick.
goathead

Postby HrothgarKO » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:37 pm

[quote="AntiM"]

Doesn't breast milk provide natural antibodies and boost a baby's immune system? What would that do with an adult's fully functioning system? And doesn't it sound a bit ... exploitive to sell breast milk for adults?

Actually, I was bottle fed. Child of the 50s, and my mom told me her doctors told her her ilk wasn't "strong" enough. Whatever.[/quote]

There are "sensors" in the areola (the red circles around the nipple) that can tell when the baby has been exposed to some germ, the mother's body then produces the appropriate antibody and includes it in her milk. It helps the baby fight off the bug but also, studies suggest, in this way the baby's immune system "learns" from mommy's immune system.
This is part of the reason the W.H.O. suggests breastfeeding for at least the first 3 years of baby's life (until the baby's immune system matures).

As for flavor--think honeydew melon.
HrothgarKO

Postby AntiM » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:27 pm

That settles it for me. I hate the taste of melons. No, really, I do, all of them. I don't even like Midori or watermelon Jolly Ranchers.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:45 pm

yummy,

breast cheese
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:56 pm

HrothgarKO wrote:There are "sensors" in the areola (the red circles around the nipple) that can tell when the baby has been exposed to some germ, the mother's body then produces the appropriate antibody and includes it in her milk.

Can you proivde any additional links to where you read about 'sensors that detect germs' please?

Thanks

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby betrdanevr » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 pm

JK? Hey. Why don't you go make yourself busy and ask for proof in the political/religious threads or somewhere where you're not asking just to be a P.I.T.A.? :lol: :lol:
betrdanevr

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 pm

betrdanevr wrote:JK? Hey. Why don't you go make yourself busy and ask for proof in the political/religious threads or somewhere where you're not asking just to be a P.I.T.A.? :lol: :lol:

I'm not trying to be a PITA. I read the post, the info didn't seem accurate; I tried to do some research and couldn't find anything to substantiate it; so I just wanted to know her source. Inquiring Minds, you know. :wink:

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby wedeliver » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:28 am

jkisha wrote:
HrothgarKO wrote:There are "sensors" in the areola (the red circles around the nipple) that can tell when the baby has been exposed to some germ, the mother's body then produces the appropriate antibody and includes it in her milk.

Can you proivde any additional links to where you read about 'sensors that detect germs' please?

Thanks

JK

My undercover sources tell me that during the Antrax scare the govt would send topless women into suspected contaminated areas...

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby goathead » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:39 am

wedeliver wrote:My undercover sources tell me that during the Antrax scare the govt would send topless women into suspected contaminated areas...

Dam, picked a bad time to quit the P.O.
goathead

Postby drutter » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:47 am

Those uddery girls look like they're chewing cud.

Anyway, it's true that breastmilk is natural for humans, but only until we're out of toddlerhood. Adults aren't supposed to be drinking milk of any kind, evolutionarily speaking. Humans are the only race to drink another race's breastmilk. One reason we do it is because the proteins contained in milk are addictive. The first time we chow down on mamma's tit, we're hooked. Normally, we'd wean ourselves off it, taking several months to finally not need it anymore - like getting off a drug. But now that we've conquered the animals of our planet, we can force them to provide us with THEIR milk, so we never have to give up the addiction.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:05 am

AntiM wrote:That settles it for me. I hate the taste of melons. No, really, I do, all of them. I don't even like Midori or watermelon Jolly Ranchers.

I'm allergic to melons, but, in relation to breast milk, "I love 'em".......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sail Man » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:49 am

AntiM wrote:That settles it for me. I hate the taste of melons. No, really, I do, all of them. I don't even like Midori or watermelon Jolly Ranchers.

Even when said watermelon has been filled with some good vodka? :P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby littleflower » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:25 pm

i wonder how long humans have been drinking milk? eating chicken eggs? &c. ??

i could not live without cheese.
littleflower

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:34 pm

The taurine (humpless, B. taurus) was probably domesticated somewhere in the Fertile Crescent about 8,000 years ago. Taurine cattle were apparently traded across the planet, and appear in archaeological sites of northeastern Asia (China, Mongolia, Korea) about 5000 years ago.

Evidence for domesticated zebu (humped cattle, B. indicus) has been discovered at the site of Mehrgahr, in the Indus Valley of Pakistan, about 7,000 years ago.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/cattle.htm

Beginning about 10,000-11,000 years ago, Neolithic farmers in the Near East began keeping small herds of goats for their milk and meat, and for their dung for fuel, as well as for materials for clothing and building: hair, bone, skin and sinew.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/goats.htm

The animal [sheep] originated in central Asia 10,000 years ago, valued for their wool and meat. The earliest sheep growers used their fleece as a kind of tunic, but it wasn't until 3,500 B.C. man learned how to spin wool.

http://passionateabouthistory.blogspot.com/2008/04/brief-history-of-sheep-domestication.html

So either the answer is about 10,000 year ago, or since we were mammals.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby nickn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:50 pm

So either the answer is about 10,000 year ago, or since we were mammals.

What were we before we were mammals?
nickn

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Proto-mammals!

Of course, we were the size of shrews and it was 100 million years ago, or more, so I've sorta forgotten what it was like.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Re: Yeah, I heard about this...

Postby we0ne » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 pm

AC wrote:PETA is just rediculous..

Isn't it true that what ever the mother eats changes the flavor of her breast milk (albeit slightly)? Wouldn't they have to put these women on a strict diet to keep the milk from being spicy or tasting like onions?? The diary cow farmers feed their cows a consistent diet so not to screw with the taste of the milk.

Also, there are many human diseases that can pass through breast milk and infect the recipient.. would they be testing for these as well? I'm not so sure pasturizing could kill all the nasties we people carry around.

besides all this.. it would totally ruin the perfectly healthy addiction I have to Phish Food... mmmmm chocolatey fishes n marsmallow fluff..mmmmm.

As a lactation councillor and RN, I can assure you that breast milk is only very slightly affected by what the mother ingests, not enough so to have milk that is too spicy/ sweet etc. As for pasturization, there are only a small handful of diseases that restrict mothers from donating their milk to medical milk banks. Milk from other mammals puts babies at far greater risk than any human milk. This is why we see so many acute and life long illnesses associated with the use of breastmilk substitutes (formulas) to feed babies and toddlers. Lets remember, if it wasn't for breastmilk, NONE of us would be here....it' part of how we EVOLVED!!
" Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank
we0ne

Postby we0ne » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:There are no studies done on the effects of long term adult use of human breast milk. Logic would suggest that it's the same as cow's milk.

Udderly delicious straight from the tap!

Actually there are many studies done on the effects of breastmilk use in adults. The benefits are enormous and that is why human milk in medical milk banks that is not used for infants and children unable to be fed exclusively by their own mother's milk, is used as nutritional support with many geriatric ailments.
" Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank
we0ne

Postby we0ne » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:21 pm

jkisha wrote:

Thanks

JK

I think perhaps what HrothgarKO might be thinking of is the antibodies found in breastmilk, however, they are present when the mother is exposed to a germ or bacteria. Like all adults, her body produces antibodies too and those antibodies are released in her breastmilk for her baby to ingest. This is why, mom and baby being close and baby being exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months is so important for immediate and life long health of the child. Mom needs to be the same places baby is to pick up that environments "germs" to produce protection for baby.

The areola, darker coloured circle around the nipple, emits a scent, very similar to that of the mother's amniotic fluid, which attracts the infant to be at mother's breast in the early days.....ah the human body in all it's wonder...however did we survive without formulas companies and their shareholders
we0ne

Postby jkisha » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:44 am

we0ne wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Thanks

JK

I think perhaps what HrothgarKO might be thinking of is the antibodies found in breastmilk, however, they are present when the mother is exposed to a germ or bacteria. Like all adults, her body produces antibodies too and those antibodies are released in her breastmilk for her baby to ingest. This is why, mom and baby being close and baby being exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months is so important for immediate and life long health of the child. Mom needs to be the same places baby is to pick up that environments "germs" to produce protection for baby.

The areola, darker coloured circle around the nipple, emits a scent, very similar to that of the mother's amniotic fluid, which attracts the infant to be at mother's breast in the early days.....ah the human body in all it's wonder...however did we survive without formulas companies and their shareholders

Yes, that is my understanding too. Though I didn't know about the scent emitted. Did you know that the average age that children around the world stop breast feeding is something close to five years give or take.

JK
JK
jkisha

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Art & Performance