The Contraption 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:49 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:You couldn't get rid of us if you tried.

Even throwing rocks at us wouldn't make a difference.

Light sticks?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby karine » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:49 pm

I think they gave you the, "Yeah, Whatever"...

;)

In guy terms, that means "we love you".
karine

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:51 pm

Okay.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:54 pm

Light sticks?

Use the LED ones please.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby karine » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Le chat, you pussy.
karine

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:03 pm

Hell, use road flares!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
Light sticks?

Use the LED ones please.

\
All that toxic electronics manufacturing, not bloody likely!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby MozyBonz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:27 pm

I want one...

Edit:yea a fleet of them.

MozyBonz

Postby Dusza Beben » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:50 pm

He's not a burner, but my neighbor down the street builds motorized versions of that. They're pretty cool.

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:57 pm

:D
This thread needs a bump, and I think I have an acceptable excuse:

Granted, a rocket ship is the polar opposite of The Contraption, but somehow I think... LOL

Of course I have seen this thing myself, but with the general sensory overload I don't remember much. And I couldn't see what is under the skin, anyway. Luckily, one of my camp mates photographed it in 2007.

The center piece of the grille has the traditional look of a Packard. And the headlight bezels are probably wheel covers from a motorhome. I'm looking for everything else there is to know about it.
:?:
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, etc

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:18 pm

It's been a few years since I talked to those guys, so my details are foggy.
I believe David Best (of Temple fame) built that, and I believe he sold it a while back to another burner. If it wasn't Best it was one of his friends. I think it lives in Texas somewhere, Austin I think.
Captain Goddammit

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:It's been a few years since I talked to those guys, so my details are foggy.
I believe David Best (of Temple fame) built that, and I believe he sold it a while back to another burner. If it wasn't Best it was one of his friends. I think it lives in Texas somewhere, Austin I think.

YESSSSS!!!!

David Best and crew, 2003.

http://kqed02.streamguys.us/anon.kqed/spark/davidbest.m4v

I don't know if this link will work, but it is a nine minute video of the construction! WOOHOO!
(On my 'puter, it had to download all the way before it started playing.)

Elliot

Another Contraptioneer

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:21 am

I was watching a docko on Sturgis and someone on an unusual trike described it as a contraption made out of parts from the farm.
It was powered by John Deere and included parts from a milking machine and ob/gyn stirrups.

I can't find a photo, so here's something else.
http://www.bikernewsonline.com/labels/John%20Deere.htm
http://www.engineeringcapacity.com/arch ... magination
http://74.54.120.132/events/2008/sturgis/sturgis1.html
gyre

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 am

David Best is the primary reason why I make cars and bikes instead of weapons. When I started in machining I could only get work making missles and helicopter parts and the like. Seeing David Bests work made me realize that my talents would be better spent elsewhere. Now I make pretty vehicles and ugly ones to suit the customers taste. Hopefully someday I will be able to use recycled stuff only for an art car.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:55 am

Toolmaker wrote:David Best is the primary reason why I make cars and bikes instead of weapons. When I started in machining I could only get work making missles and helicopter parts and the like. Seeing David Bests work made me realize that my talents would be better spent elsewhere. Now I make pretty vehicles and ugly ones to suit the customers taste. Hopefully someday I will be able to use recycled stuff only for an art car.

That's a great thing to hear, Toolmaker!

I have long been torn between my love for simple and fun vehicles like this David Best rocket car on one side, and the Boyd Coddington type of car on the other side. My work in journalism is mostly about the spectacularly detailed Coddington type of stuff, but my personal taste is have-fun-and-it-doesn't-matter-if-it-gets-scratched.

(That said, I'm all for fabulous craftsmanship! It's just not the only way to build things.)

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Now.... The David Best "art cars" that I have seen pictures of before, and in a BM related documentary film, were the kind where a bunch of junk has been glued onto an otherwise normal car. In this video, he mildly renounces that sort of thing. There is also a reference to stripping other cars to the skeleton before building them up. Has he built other other car bodies, or did he just suddenly outgrow the glued-on-junk overnight in 2003? I'm not having much luck googling for his cars.
:?:

Elliot

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Elliot wrote:I have long been torn between my love for simple and fun vehicles like this David Best rocket car on one side, and the Boyd Coddington type of car on the other side. My work in journalism is mostly about the spectacularly detailed Coddington type of stuff, but my personal taste is have-fun-and-it-doesn't-matter-if-it-gets-scratched.

(That said, I'm all for fabulous craftsmanship! It's just not the only way to build things.)

That is exactly what got me into Burning Man! I've always been a hot rodder, and I've got a way-bad '55 Bel Air in my garage, and some others. Thing is, I almost NEVER drive that '55, and when I do I have to worry about it more than enjoy it, and I can't leave it anywhere, etc.
And it can never be good enough, there's always another that looks like jewelry on the bottom. It's also been a long time since there was really anywhere to go with a cruiser car.

Then I went to Burning Man, shit a brick that I'd been missing out on it, and built some playa vehicles. The engineering is still good quality on them, but you can stomp all over them, spill your drink on 'em, leave 'em out in horrible dust storms. I think I put more miles on my Land Yacht in the last few years than on the '55 Bel Air! I even rolled (capsized?) it once... I just hooked a strap to it and yanked it back up with my truck, and it was fine.
Mutant vehicles put the FUN back into building and cruising.
Captain Goddammit

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 pm

You'd enjoy Kinetic Sculpture Racing also! I got to where I enjoyed the car in my avatar more than my real T hot rod! And I was introduced to BM by some of the Kinetic guys. You know The Exploratorium? Long time Kinetic racer. The silver lizzard that walks, ridden by a person -- another Kinetic racer. This year's aluminum viking ship with fire breathing dragon -- big time Kinetic racer. Very similar activities in spirit, except Kinetics is G rated.

Elliot

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Elliot, I'm positive you're right, but I'm really trying to REDUCE the amount of shit lying around here...
Captain Goddammit

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Elliot, I'm positive you're right, but I'm really trying to REDUCE the amount of shit lying around here...

Say what?

:lol: :lol:

Elliot

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 am

Feel free to send shit to me.. I'm still trying to collect more

While I'm in pic posting mode.. some of my fav pics of le chats work

In front of Booby Bar with Big Cock visible in the backround

This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 am

Ah, yes... all those cars with sea shells and whatnot glued on them -- that's what I thought I had seen from Best before. Apparently, he had a change of heart in 2003 -- as per his comment in that film, and the resulting long black rocket car.

No critisism, mind you -- each to his own and it's all good! I just do not personally "get" the stuff-glued-onto-a-car thing. But I definitely "get" the rocket car!

Now.... No discussion of David Best's work could possible fail to salute and honor him for his wondermuss Temples -- a vital and precious element of the Burning Man Art Festival! Thank you, Mr. Best! And thanks for the bitchin' rocket car, too!

Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:35 pm

I think the stuff glued on a car thing was the earlier iteration of art car, and when you get right down to it, mutant vehicle aren't street legal almost by definition.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 am

Wow!! I gotta lot of catching up to do in here. Sheesh… Being sick over the holidays will really get you behind.

On a quick note, I saw Best’s rocket car driving down I-80 towards California after the '04 Burn. I’d not seen it at all on the playa, so it was pretty bizarre to see it zooming down the interstate.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:25 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I think the stuff glued on a car thing was the earlier iteration of art car, and when you get right down to it, mutant vehicle aren't street legal almost by definition.

A bit of a quantum leap, yes. :D

That said, it is also possible to scratch build a unique self-propelled sculpture that is (reasonably) street legal. Anybody can buy a copy of their State Vehicle Code for just a couple of bucks, and then include the basic requirements in their project. I have done it with two hot rods. I even built the frames from scratch.

I said "reasonably" street legal and this is an important distinction. There is a concept in law enforcement called Enforcement Policy. Enforcement Policy can exist in many forms, from published documents to "officer discretion", and blends thereof.

I once discussed my hot rod with a Highway Patrol officer. This car had no windshield wipers, no fenders, and many other legal shortcomings. Still, the officer told me that he would not be the least inclined to pull me over unless I were driving in rain. It's a matter of priorities. He looks for real hazards like speeding, erratic lane changing etc. He figures that so long as I am sane and sober, I am not likely to abuse my lovingly handcrafted vehicle in any way that would cause significant danger.

As for written enforcement policies, I have an example here. The Sacramento PD printed up their enforcement policy for "low rider" cars. It addresses unique concerns that the Vehicle Code never anticipated, like a steering wheel made out of chain. All very sensible, and a useful guide for low rider builders.

So it is entirely doable to build a skulpture that can be driven on the street. The Oscar Mayer Wiener company has a fleet of them!

Finally, there are two other levels of "street legality" for motor vehicles, and I think this is what Fishy is refering to. A "wienermobile" could indeed not be mass produced and sold to the public without meeting all the same standards as a Ford Mustang -- and believe me, those standards are extensive and complex. But once the Mustang leaves the dealership, and for scratch built vehicles, we get back to other standards, and enforcement policies.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:36 am

LeChatNoir wrote:Wow!! I gotta lot of catching up to do in here. Sheesh… Being sick over the holidays will really get you behind.

On a quick note, I saw Best’s rocket car driving down I-80 towards California after the '04 Burn. I’d not seen it at all on the playa, so it was pretty bizarre to see it zooming down the interstate.

Sounds like you are feeling better. Glad to hear it!

And good to hear that the rocket car was driven to and from. I suspect that it would scrape on the ground wherever there is a dip or rise in the road, like in and out of filling stations, but it would be easy enough to install a pneumatic or hydraulic system to raise it a bit on demand.

(Enforcement policy: No changing of ride height while in motion. :wink: )

Elliot

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Or just reinforce the bottom.
It makes for wonderful jack points too.

Rollers are wonderful.
Every RV or trailer needs one at the rear.
gyre

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:05 pm

Elliot wrote:And good to hear that the rocket car was driven to and from.

Yeah, they told me they drive it to BM every year from Texas!

My friend and former art-car collaborator and I used to drive equally wild rigs to BM, and rather than put them on a trailer, we'd use 'em to tow trailers!

We're still best friends but I split off on my own as far as mutant vehicle construction goes because our opinions differed on the whole street-legal issue. He wanted art cars to drive all over town, I wanted to go beyond what would be street legal and wanted purpose-built mutants and didn't care to use them as regular default-world transportation.
Captain Goddammit

Postby MozyBonz » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:33 am

Hey you punks!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsOi6L_Pw4[/youtube]
MozyBonz

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:08 pm

That Curta was interesting (mind boggling to me actually).

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Art & Performance