Yay im the first!

Yay im the first!

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Im thinking a jellyfish for my art car.... with thousands and thousands of those icicle lights dangling...

Any idea of what to do for the body? It would be on the top of my two person go kart that tows a couch...but it can be real big.....
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 pm

How about a simple wood and chicken wire frame covered in mylar, or, aluminum foil....it'd be reflective and make it seem like twice the lights.........and, shade the driver........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:39 am

Those icicle lights draw about a half a watt per bulb; every two thousand of 'em is a thousand watts.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:21 am

I'm seeing rope lights for a jelly fish. The color shifting led kind would be a very nice effect.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Bounce530 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Search around and find pix of the jelly fish artcar that was out there this year and get ideas from that... :?
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:57 pm

You can get the icicle lights in LEDs.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby Mad Maxine » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:19 pm

How about a big giant umbrella design for the top? You could make your own out of bamboo or steel, and cover it with something shimmery. Add another layer of loose material on top of that that can flop around a little in the wind. you could even put lights in between the layers.

Also IKEA (damn them) makes a nice strand of color-change LEDs that would be lovely in your idea. Maybe you could go with EL wire instead. The light strings (whatever they are) would look good inside of dangley, long socks made of some kind of shimmery, gauzy fabric.

Don't forget to decorate the pole that holds up the umbrella with more layers of gauzy stuff and lights. Most jellyfish have some kind of central dangley bits.

If you could figure out how to pump the umbrella up and down slightly for effect, that would kick MAJOR ASS.
Personality is what you are in the dark.
-John Whorfin
Mad Maxine

Postby chinacatsunflower » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:08 am

I saw the jelly fish art car at the jelly fish theme camp during a party they threw on wednesday night (apparently they received a grant for a documentary they were doing for the Discovery channel...and this may not be the name of their camp; forgive me if I am misrepresenting them)...it was pretty cool, I must say, and looked similar to what you folks are describing. They used mostly led x-mas lights, someone at the camp was explaining to me...it also had a pretty killer PA system. Unfortunately all of my pictures of the art car came out blurry, dark and out of focus, but there have to be pictures out there somewhere...

Anyway, good luck...I won't be able to do an art car this year, but I am thinking I want to do something with a school bus for 2010 (cheese wagon, baby!). I saw a lot of mutant vehicles with this platform, and the possibilities are seemingly endless...
See you on the playa!
chinacatsunflower

Postby chinacatsunflower » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:28 pm

See you on the playa!
chinacatsunflower

Postby Here and there » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Im thinking a jellyfish for my art car.... with thousands and thousands of those icicle lights dangling...

Any idea of what to do for the body?

How about a regular bony fish, with the jellyfishes tentacles around it, like it had just been stung and was now going to be eaten? Make it see-though, so you don't accidentally run in front of a much larger vehicle.
Here and there

Return to 2009 Art & Performance