So About That Vehicle Of Yours...

So About That Vehicle Of Yours...

Postby ChillyFire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:52 am

Just took my 1970 VW Bus into the shop today, had to lay down $400, but nowhere near what i was expecting to pay, for the large amount of work they did, and the wonderful job indeed! she purrs like a baby now. Her name's Sky, btw. So meet up with me, we'll go venture around and have fun in the sky! :D
which leads me to the reason for this post.

What kind of vehicle do you own/use/drive? Does it have a personality, have you fallen in love with it? Lets hear about all your amazing autos =]
Infinite Ripples Of Space And Time
Running Through My Mind...
ChillyFire

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:46 am

There is a double length Vanagon on the playa.
Very nice.
gyre

Postby Token » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:06 am

I drive Pepe the Mule. If you have seen Romancing the Stone you will understand.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:36 am

I have a pickup truck. If I wasn't going to BM I would have traded it for a Prius by now.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ChillyFire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:10 pm

haha ill have to look out for the mule then xD

ahh nice, a good old pickup is always handy for a trip to the playa

man im so stoked today on my bus, she's all spray painted up crazy like, and im having a professional psychedelic/industrial scenic artist paint her up here shortly.

i hope you all can come kick it in the Sky with me =]
ChillyFire

Postby Jiva » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:02 pm

That sounds pretty sweet Chilly. I'll be taking my new-to-me mint-green Ford van out there this year, and camping in it as well. I hope to have an a/c installed in the rear left window, and insulation in the cargo hold. The paint job you have planned sounds cool--how did you make contact with the artist?
Stay home; the man will burn without you.
Jiva

Postby ibdave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:27 pm

If you see my Big ass RV in your Mirrors, get the fuck out of the way... I eat VW's putting along at 45mph......

Naaaa, Love to see the VW Van tolling along the road.. My Nephew just picked up a 70ish Vanagon last week...

But really, don't pull onto the shoulders of Hwy 447.. They will eat you alive.. Soft shit....
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ChillyFire » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:07 am

i came in contact with the artist at the Wednesday night farmers market/street fair down here where i live. he sells his art there, and i asked him if he would be interested in doing a piece for my bus, turns out he's in love with vdubs, and all he would want for him to do it would be a 6pack of beer and some music while he works, im just like, haha i think that can be arraigned :P

ahh thank you for the advice, definitely dont wana get stuck out there! ill let her cool down lots in reno, before the journey up the 447, so she can make it the whole way. and tell your nephew congratulations and welcome to the best part of his life so far :D
ChillyFire

Postby Igneouss » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:23 am

Pickup truck. Unless I find an decent van prior to leaving.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

PHADRA is my name

Postby lbhat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:20 pm

PHADRA is a 1970 bug.... no, I do not make her attend. I rent a van- she'll live many more miles that way. ME - BIG SMILE.

LBhat :lol:
lbhat

Postby ChillyFire » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:38 pm

ahh nice name!
yea this will be one of my Sky's biggest trips, shes been up to Humboldt from San Diego a few times, so she's done some long ass trips, but i just got her in perfect working order and road ready, i know she's gona love the adventure =]
ChillyFire

my dream...

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:49 pm

i dont have a vehicle at the moment, besides sparky the wonder bike.

my choice of dream cars would be a 1973 4 door dodge dart, kinda beat up, olive drab green.

they smash mailboxes like a sherman fucking tank.

vinyl interior, i'm a purist.

but thats just me.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby wedeliver » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:48 pm

ChillyFire wrote:ahh nice name!
yea this will be one of my Sky's biggest trips, shes been up to Humboldt from San Diego a few times, so she's done some long ass trips, but i just got her in perfect working order and road ready, i know she's gona love the adventure =]

My cousin who lives in Agoura, Ca has driven her '66 vw bus back and forth to vancover Canada since the late '70s over 50 times at least. She also has come to Black Rock City the last two years camping in VW camp, this year instead of BM she is going back to Vancover for a street festival.

(oh and I use to own a 1966 Dodge Dart, it was "built" and had a 4 speed on the floor, back end was jacked up, ran slicks, looked pretty hot. the same car as a plymouth valient.)
wedeliver

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 am

1969 UltraVan, MindyBo, first trip to BRC....planning LOTS of 'cool-down' stops...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby ChillyFire » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:05 pm

sweet, ya i need to plan many cool down spots as well, haha especially in any place of rising elevation.
i found a way around going on the 395 up through to the 80 to Reno, so i wont have to go over and superhellacrazy mountains
ChillyFire

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:07 pm

gaminwench wrote:1969 UltraVan, MindyBo, first trip to BRC....planning LOTS of 'cool-down' stops...

Very cool.
Stock?
gyre

Postby ibdave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:40 pm

gaminwench wrote:1969 UltraVan, MindyBo, first trip to BRC....planning LOTS of 'cool-down' stops...

Hey GW, glad your bring the Babe out.. Did you ever post photos anywhere?? Any idea where your camping yet?? 8) 8) 8)

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Gyre...yes, but we've 'rebuilt' the corvair engine and updated the cooling system...
Dave...crossing everything for luck!!! and camping with DOTA-Department of Tethered Aviation...
She'll still have her original (tired) paint job this year, I've posted pix on FB-can you access??
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby ibdave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:06 pm

gaminwench wrote:Gyre...yes, but we've 'rebuilt' the corvair engine and updated the cooling system...
Dave...crossing everything for luck!!! and camping with DOTA-Department of Tethered Aviation...
She'll still have her original (tired) paint job this year, I've posted pix on FB-can you access??

PM sent.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

ibdave

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:32 pm

I hope you're on Clark"s mailing list.
They have all the updates.
gyre

Postby Playa Tom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:06 pm

I have two vehicles that are playa ready, both have been to the playa in the last few months.
For the past six years I have driven my '69 Ford Bronco, it is old, slow, hot and noisy. My new car is a Nissan Xterra, it is comfortable, has air conditioning and gets better milage.
I have spent the last month debating which car to drive. The Nissan is the more practical choice but the Bronco is an old friend. I will probably make my choice as I start to pack.
Playa Tom

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:39 pm

there are people who love those old Broncos, and, any chance to see them, and, dry hump them, when possible........

not sure who, but, I know they're out there.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 pm

You have an UltraVan?? Cool! I bet few burners know what that is... I do.
I've even seen an UltraVan on the playa before.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ChillyFire » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 am

yea ultravan's are super awesome, and its funny, cause not many people at all know what they are. im soo down to get one. quite hard to come by for me.
ChillyFire

Postby Boijoy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:11 am

I take my 84 vw Westfalia out every year. I call her Thunder.. because she hauls ass DOWN hill. :-) chilli there are only a few places you will struggle up hill on the way to BRC. I always slow to a crawl & let everyone pass. DO NOT try and pull onto the shoulder! :: shivver ::
I installed a 2nd battery w/ solar panels so, i can run my make shift swamp cooler. Did you know there is a v.w. bus camp??
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby ChillyFire » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:39 pm

yea boijoy, im not gona take the 395 all the way up to the 80, im going 395 to 95, to the 447, its just a huge straight line from san diego to gerlach, easy as pie, but i do know i will need some cooldown spots still.

im not sure where the vdub camp is? anybody? some insight? i'd love to park there, cause my bus is soooo crazy right now, yesterday i just had a new boston acustics sound system put in, and i just got a 1200w kenwood sub for the back, all super cheap too! and my flower child mom is comin along, haha, so we'll only be bumping great music for all people
ChillyFire

Postby Boijoy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:00 pm

V.W. Bus camp is listed in with the theme camps. They will have a reserved address. My 84 is water cooled so, I don't have much trouble with overheating.. well.. until i'm in a 3 hr line on the desert. :-)
Does your bus have an oil cooler??
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby wedeliver » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 pm

For people driving on Nevada 95 passing Tonopah, I suggest you google map/earth about 30 miles south of Tonopah you will see a road identified as Silver Peak Road. This road goes north west off of 95, you will see a spot named "Akali". This is a natural hot springs. There are two hot pools and the water drains into a large cool swimming pool and then into that pond you can see in google.

What you have here is an old power station, the road "Silver Peak Road" is paved and in ok condition. You will also notice a gravel road that goes north east from that spot "Akali" to Nevada 95, I think it connects, if I remember correctly 11 miles south of Tonopah. (thats from memory so use the map.

Large, flat parking area close to the tubs, middle of fucking NOWHERE

Paradise on earth. now please don't tell anyone.
wedeliver

Postby ChillyFire » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Boijoy wrote:Does your bus have an oil cooler??

haha i dont think it does. its got the oil air filter, like always, but no cooler. :P

@ wedeliver,
i dont get on the 95 till yerington, or WEED HEIGHTS! haha lmao, sounds like fun. where the 339 meets the 95
ChillyFire

Postby ChillyFire » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:36 pm

and ill most definately be checking out the vw camp, for suree.
Sky will be pumping psytrance and motown, mabey some reggae, and whatever else, so id love everybody to come check her out!
ChillyFire

Next

Return to 2009 Theme