200th Anniversary of Charles Darwin's Birth

200th Anniversary of Charles Darwin's Birth

Postby Oldguy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 pm

From Wikipedia:
Charles Robert Darwin was born in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England on 12 February 1809 at his family home, the Mount.[10] He was the fifth of six children of wealthy society doctor and financier Robert Darwin, and Susannah Darwin (née Wedgwood). He was the grandson of Erasmus Darwin on his father’s side, and of Josiah Wedgwood on his mother’s side. Both families were largely Unitarian, though the Wedgwoods were adopting Anglicanism. Robert Darwin, himself quietly a freethinker, had baby Charles baptised in the Anglican Church, but Charles and his siblings attended the Unitarian chapel with their mother. The eight year old Charles already had a taste for natural history and collecting when he joined the day school run by its preacher in 1817. That July, his mother died. From September 1818, he joined his older brother Erasmus attending the nearby Anglican Shrewsbury School as a boarder.[11]

Darwin spent the summer of 1825 as an apprentice doctor, helping his father treat the poor of Shropshire, before going with Erasmus to the University of Edinburgh. He found lectures dull and surgery distressing, so neglected his medical studies. He learned taxidermy from John Edmonstone, a freed black slave who had accompanied Charles Waterton in the South American rainforest, and often sat with this "very pleasant and intelligent man".[12]

In Darwin’s second year he joined the Plinian Society, a student natural history group whose debates strayed into radical materialism. He assisted Robert Edmund Grant’s investigations of the anatomy and life cycle of marine invertebrates in the Firth of Forth, and in March 1827 presented at the Plinian his own discovery that black spores found in oyster shells were the eggs of a skate leech. One day, Grant praised Lamarck’s evolutionary ideas. Darwin was astonished, but had recently read the similar ideas of his grandfather Erasmus and remained indifferent.[13] Darwin was rather bored by Robert Jameson’s natural history course which covered geology including the debate between Neptunism and Plutonism. He learnt classification of plants, and assisted with work on the collections of the University Museum, one of the largest museums in Europe at the time.[14]

This neglect of medical studies annoyed his father, who shrewdly sent him to Christ’s College, Cambridge, for a Bachelor of Arts degree as the first step towards becoming an Anglican parson.[15] Darwin began there in January 1828, but preferred riding and shooting to studying. His cousin Fox introduced him to the popular craze for beetle collecting which he pursued zealously, getting some of his finds published in Stevens' Illustrations of British entomology. He became a close friend and follower of botany professor John Stevens Henslow and met other leading naturalists who saw scientific work as religious natural theology, becoming known to these dons as “the man who walks with Henslowâ€
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby **burn** » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:53 pm

It's interesting that Darwin was in his early twenties when he stopped by the Galapagos Islands. He only stayed for five weeks. The concept of conservation was unknown and he took with him a large load of tortoises.
He retroactively applied his theories later to his notes on Galapagos.

Very interesting man.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com
**burn**

Postby Oldguy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:20 pm

It's interesting to note that today is also the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abe Lincoln. I believe young Abe was a postmaster when young Charles was aboard the Beagle.
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:28 pm

Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said while the Church had been hostile to Darwin's theory in the past, the idea of evolution could be traced to St Augustine and St Thomas Aquinas.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Oldguy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:38 pm

From Wikipedia:

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, to Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks, two uneducated farmers, in a one-room log cabin on the 348-acre (1.4 km2) Sinking Spring Farm, in southeast Hardin County, Kentucky (now part of LaRue County), making him the first president born outside the original Thirteen Colonies. Lincoln's ancestor Samuel Lincoln[4] had arrived in Hingham, Massachusetts from England in the 17th century, but his descendants had gradually moved west, from Pennsylvania to Virginia and then westward to the frontier.[5]

For some time, Thomas Lincoln, Abraham's father, had been a respected citizen of the Kentucky backcountry. He had purchased the Sinking Spring Farm in December 1808 for $200 cash ($2,689.00 today)[6] and assumption of a debt. The family belonged to a Hardshell Baptist church, although Abraham himself never joined their church, or any other church for that matter.

In 1816, the Lincoln family became impoverished, losing their land through court action, and was forced to make a new start in Perry County, Indiana.[7] Lincoln later noted that this move was "partly on account of slavery," and partly because of difficulties with land deeds in Kentucky.[8]

When Lincoln was nine, his mother, then 34 years old, died of milk sickness. Soon afterwards, his father remarried to Sarah Bush Johnston. Lincoln and his stepmother were close; he called her "Mother" for the rest of his life, but he was increasingly distant from his father.[9]

In 1830, after more economic and land-title difficulties in Indiana, the family settled on public land[10] in Macon County, Illinois. The following winter was desolate and especially brutal, and the family considered moving back to Indiana. The following year, when his father relocated the family to a new homestead in Coles County, Illinois, 22-year-old Lincoln struck out on his own, canoeing down the Sangamon River to the village of New Salem in Sangamon County.[11] Later that year, hired by New Salem businessman Denton Offutt and accompanied by friends, he took goods from New Salem to New Orleans via flatboat on the Sangamon, Illinois and Mississippi rivers.

Lincoln's formal education consisted of about 18 months of schooling, but he was largely self-educated and an avid reader. He was also a talented local wrestler and skilled with an axe.[12] Lincoln avoided hunting and fishing because he did not like killing animals, even for food.[13] At 6 foot 4 inches (1.93 m), he was unusually tall, as well as strong.

Lincoln began his political career in 1832, at age 23, with an unsuccessful campaign for the Illinois General Assembly, as a member of the Whig Party. The centerpiece of his platform was the undertaking of navigational improvements on the Sangamon River.

In 1834, he won election to the state legislature, and, after coming across the Commentaries on the Laws of England, began to teach himself law. Admitted to the bar in 1837, he moved to Springfield, Illinois, that same year and began to practice law with John T. Stuart. With a reputation as a formidable adversary during cross-examinations and in his closing arguments, Lincoln became an able and successful lawyer.[14] In 1841 Lincoln entered the law practice with William Herndon, a fellow Whig.

He served four successive terms in the Illinois House of Representatives as a representative from Sangamon County, and became a leader of the Illinois Whig party. In 1837, he made his first protest against slavery in the Illinois House, stating that the institution was "founded on both injustice and bad policy."[15]

So both men left home at age of 22. Abe at 25 won his first election becoming a representative in Illinois. At 28 he became a lawyer, and spoke against slavery.
Image current moon
Oldguy

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Oldguy wrote:It's interesting to note that today is also the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abe Lincoln. I believe young Abe was a postmaster when young Charles was aboard the Beagle.

Feb 12th 2009 is also the 35th birthday of this Guy here

Me.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby klondike_bar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:54 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
Oldguy wrote:It's interesting to note that today is also the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abe Lincoln. I believe young Abe was a postmaster when young Charles was aboard the Beagle.

Feb 12th 2009 is also the 35th birthday of this Guy here

Me.

really? happy [late] birthday! free drinks for everyone at the bar!

well...MORE free then usual! :wink:
klondike_bar

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:44 am

Thx, had sex, a great dinner out, watching Leno now. thats what my birthdays have become.
mdmf007

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:33 am

mdmf007 wrote:Thx, had sex, a great dinner out, watching Leno now. thats what my birthdays have become.

I hope you had company............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:55 pm

ygmir wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:Thx, had sex, a great dinner out, watching Leno now. thats what my birthdays have become.

Duh. Chuck and Abe.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Duh. Chuck and Abe.

Yup!!!! so much funner with a partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mdmf007

Postby JoshMega » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:16 am

ha ha...
This is my funny and witty signature.
JoshMega

Postby H.G.Crosby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:50 am

the other day i was walking back to my werkstat, and for some strange reason, i decided to walk a different way than i had planned.

it took me by a little park in downtown rochester that has a sculpture, dedicated to the fallen of the civil war.

on top is abe lincoln, one of my heroes.

it sits adjacent to the first universalist church, claude bragdon's masterpiece of architecture, and he too is one of my heroes, so i thought i would kill two birds with one stone and visit both.

i saluted abe, and the four branches of the service, and then went to say hi to claude.

i dont know why i went that way, i just did.

i like abe because he's a tall skinny fuck, and he's got a great beard.

i like claude because he led many lives over the course of just one.

i dont think he had a beard though, but i digress.

well, i guess the moral of this stupid story is this, i'm glad abe link, oops, lincoln was a tall skinny fuck with a good beard, it gives me a sense of purpose, to be just like him.

thanks abe, thanks claude, thank you universe.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Return to 2009 Theme