Christians don't have to hate the theme! It's universal!

Are "Evolution" and "Heaven and Hell" inappropriate themes because they do not relate to everyone's beliefs and interests?

Yes, they are inappropriate, Burning Man should not discriminate one's spirituality!
1%
No, it does not matter, Burning Man is a place to embrace and reflect alternate ways of thinking and believing!
34%
WTF? It's just a theme. Who gives a shit?
64%

Total votes : 73

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm just grateful that everyone can hate 09's theme.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pma0ixU-Oo&feature=related[/youtube]
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Sarra » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:21 pm

>>which allow us to drop planetary probes on distant planets
>>on distant planets
>>distant

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What do you mean Dan?
Sarra

Postby penguin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 pm

but, what exactly was the evolution of creationism? And while we're at it, who created evolution?

Besides, my dictionary defines "evolution" as "the procees of change by degrees"... it says nothing about it being an antonym for creationism.

If you're a creationist and you believe that some "higher power" created everything -- then obviously that same power must have created evolution -- ergo, you win.

If you're an evolutionist you win by default since we all know that creationists evolved from grey ooze.

(me personally I'm just waiting to evolve hands so I can get these stupid twist-tops off of my beers!)
penguin

Burning Since: 2009

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:30 pm

The existence of creationists disproves creationism.
gyre

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Sarra wrote:>>which allow us to drop planetary probes on distant planets
>>on distant planets
>>distant

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What do you mean Dan?

I don't remember.

Maybe that the speed of light is an observable fact, and there is direct evidence that the universe is older than 6,000 years, in the form of starlight?
chiefdanfox

Postby Finnegan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:43 pm

People people.. This is all so easy.

5. Tell them if the universe is only 6,000 y.o., then the light from that galaxy started 2.9 million years before the galaxy was created. How is that possible?

The Devil is trying to fool you. Duh! Just like with those fake "dinosaur" bones.

You're all going to the hot place, later.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Finnegan wrote:You're all going to the hot place, later.
"The Hot Place" is burner code for the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:33 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Finnegan wrote:You're all going to the hot place, later.
"The Hot Place" is burner code for the playa.

Shoot. I thought that was code for a strip club. The playa's got be what, 10 degrees F about now?
chiefdanfox

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:04 pm

That's why boobeerians get the fancy chicks.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

religion should not demand unconditional respect

Postby mabu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:55 pm

IMO, I take offense to this notion that a person's religious beliefs are to be afforded unconditional respect and consideration.

What you choose to believe, the manner in which you live your life and the degree to which you define what is and isn't "moral" and why, are topics that if made public, should be freely and openly discussed as well as scrutinized.

If you're averse to anyone suggesting the idea that your magic sky fairy might not exist, that's your problem, not theirs. You likely opened that Pandora's box by being "offended" at some secular or alternative ideology. If you don't want to be potentially laughed at, you might want to keep those things private.

Just my 0.02.
mabu

Re: religion should not demand unconditional respect

Postby Elderberry » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:59 pm

mabu wrote:magic sky fairy

magic sky fairy, that's funny. I take it you're a non-believer. LOL

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: religion should not demand unconditional respect

Postby mabu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:08 pm

jkisha wrote:
mabu wrote:magic sky fairy

magic sky fairy, that's funny. I take it you're a non-believer. LOL

JK

Well, it depends upon how you define "believer." But I do kind of think that nothing makes people do irrational, oppressive & wasteful things more than those with a dependence upon paranormal ideology & superstition. However, should the Baptists, Mormons, Scientologists, Muslims or Catholics find a cure for cancer or develop clean energy technology, I will happily rethink my position about their ultimate contribution to the benefit of mankind.
mabu

Postby Finnegan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:39 pm

What you choose to believe, the manner in which you live your life and the degree to which you define what is and isn't "moral" and why, are topics that if made public, should be freely and openly discussed as well as scrutinized.

And then mocked til you cry.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

pet peeve

Postby swampdog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 pm

What really blasts my banjo about creationists is that if you ever get a real live one in a discussion, you realize that they are really completely anti-science, not merely anti-evolution. They are willing to throw any scientific evidence WHATSOEVER into the crapper if it conflicts with what they interpret as The True And Only Word of GAAAAAaaaawwwd. Carbon dating? Not reliable. Background levels of radioactive carbon have changed. Light from billions of light years away? Maybe god created the universe at a state of play by magic. He can do that. (actually I don't know how they argue against such points, but neither do I care). The point is, they are closed to reason or scientific evidence of ANY kind. And they want their children to be taught the same way in the schools that MY kids go to.

Grrr.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Finnegan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Maybe god created the universe at a state of play by magic. He can do that.

This one is pretty hard to disprove.

ps, it's turtles all the way down.
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Re: pet peeve

Postby mabu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:17 pm

swampdog wrote:What really blasts my banjo about creationists is that if you ever get a real live one in a discussion, you realize that they are really completely anti-science, not merely anti-evolution. They are willing to throw any scientific evidence WHATSOEVER into the crapper if it conflicts with what they interpret as The True And Only Word of GAAAAAaaaawwwd. Carbon dating? Not reliable. Background levels of radioactive carbon have changed. Light from billions of light years away? Maybe god created the universe at a state of play by magic. He can do that. (actually I don't know how they argue against such points, but neither do I care). The point is, they are closed to reason or scientific evidence of ANY kind. And they want their children to be taught the same way in the schools that MY kids go to.

Grrr.

However, they're always good for a laugh if you're in the right frame of mind to be amused by ridiculous logic.

I have one creationist friend who told me that dinosaurs were on Noah's ark, in the form of lizards and that, contrary to what I think, lizards just keep on growing and have no maximum size. What we "foolish Darwinists" actually think were dinosaurs, were merely very big lizards that grew so big because back then they "could". Ahhhh, I see...
mabu

Postby Finnegan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Valley of Gwangi. It's all becoming clear.
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Finnegan wrote:Valley of Gwangi. It's all becoming clear.

nothing like a good clay-mation cowboy scifi pic............one of my favs..........

and, fantastic Island.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Finnegan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:59 pm

What more could anyone possibly *want* from entertainment?! It's got cowboys lasso-ing dinosaurs for crissakes!

Hollywood should have just thrown in the towel after this, There can be no competition. Maybe a sequel..
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 pm

don't forget gypsies and, miniature horses............

and, the battle scenes are epic.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby pappahealer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:35 pm

All things around us are real, only our minds are fake, are flawed.
There is only one water, one earth, one air,one fire, one spirit.
6,000 ways to look at each off them.
pappahealer

Postby mabu » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:00 pm

pappahealer wrote:There is only one water, one earth, one air,one fire, one spirit.
6,000 ways to look at each off them.

Four of those five things are quantifiable and can be proven to exist using the scientific method. The fifth serves as a metaphor for something else, such as the way people look at themselves and their reality. I don't have a problem with spirituality, except when it's deployed out of context in a misleading fashion. To suggest spirit is as tangible as earth, wind, fire and water, is incorrect. It might be more appropriate to include "spirit" in a list of abstract constructs like, "resolve", "love", "hatred", "solitude", "empathy."

All things around us are real, only our minds are fake, are flawed.

I was thinking... alternatively, you could substitute real with your own arbitrary identifier. Then you wouldn't encroach and pervert traditional definitions and truth and could create your own statement that you could suggest is "real". How about this...

All things around us are bleezle-farb, only our minds are flurble, are fleezybop.
There is only one water, one earth, one air,one fire, one spirit.
6,000 ways to Loptifnul at each off them.

It has a nice ring to it.
mabu

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:58 am

magic sky fairy, that's funny. I take it you're a non-believer

no, he just has'nt seen "Milk" yet.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Well look at this...I created this topic 6 months ago and it's still going strong and at number one! I wonder if it will make it to the burn...

WOOT!

You all keep on debating about creationism and evolution!

Where are all the hardcore Christians at expressing their thoughts?

Guess Burning Man has some bias to it...You really would not see this theme at any other event, except maybe a scientists convention.

It's a shame that evolution is a more controversial theme than Heaven and Hell...a purely christian ideal that relates only to those who believe in that particular religion.

Maybe next year the theme will be karma and reincarnation...
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby mabu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:19 pm

sktELEMENT wrote:You all keep on debating about creationism and evolution!

What debate?

Even in a purely evangelical Christian forum there wouldn't be any "debate". There would be one side making ridiculous claims, and the other rolling their eyes.

Are there actual fundy Christians that attend BM? We just had Mardi Gras down here and these freaks show up and scream into a bullhorn calling people names:

mabu

Postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:06 pm

What's an effeminate reviler?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gyre » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:20 pm

A made up phrase as far as I can tell.

In the connotation, reviler may refer to people critical of christianity.

5:11 a railer = one who is verbally abusive, a reviler (snark?)

http://www.bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2 ... ional.html
http://www.christiangay.com/he_loves/corinth.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malakia_(effeminacy)
http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passag ... ans+6:9-10
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reviler
gyre

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 pm

[quote="mabu"][quote="sktELEMENT"]
You all keep on debating about creationism and evolution!
[/quote]

What debate?

Even in a purely evangelical Christian forum there wouldn't be any "debate". There would be one side making ridiculous claims, and the other rolling their eyes.

Are there actual fundy Christians that attend BM? We just had Mardi Gras down here and these freaks show up and scream into a bullhorn calling people names:

[img]http://humankind.com/pix/gmisc/mgfundy.jpg[/img][/quote]

hahaha...what a crazy fuck...GOD i love being an atheist...

However you cannot generalize all christians... The intelligent ones that use a little "god" given gift of logic and reason abandon the entire old testament. They follow only the new testament of Jesus and his teachings. I can understand that a little more because it does not tell a bunch of crazy ass mother goose fairy tails.

It's not their fault...they were tricked by the greatest magician and the most sly con-artist that EVER lived: Jesus Christ.

David Blaine? Kris Angel? Houdini? They got nothing on JC. Getting a third of the world to believe you are the son of god for 2000+ years?

Now THAT is a damn good magic trick!
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby mabu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:26 am

jkisha wrote:What's an effeminate reviler?

I actually think this is their codeword for "homosexuals" now. In the wake of the backlash against Prop 8, these guys have toned down their rhetoric a bit.

sktELEMENT wrote:hahaha...what a crazy fuck...GOD i love being an atheist...

However you cannot generalize all christians... The intelligent ones that use a little "god" given gift of logic and reason abandon the entire old testament. They follow only the new testament of Jesus and his teachings. I can understand that a little more because it does not tell a bunch of crazy ass mother goose fairy tails.

It's not their fault...they were tricked by the greatest magician and the most sly con-artist that EVER lived: Jesus Christ.

David Blaine? Kris Angel? Houdini? They got nothing on JC. Getting a third of the world to believe you are the son of god for 2000+ years?

Now THAT is a damn good magic trick!

Interestingly enough, there's no substantive evidence that Jesus ever existed historically. The "magician" you're thinking of was Paul of Tarsus, who was basically a Joseph Smith-type character to claimed to have had a vision and then created his own religion around it and managed to successfully promote it.
mabu

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Theme