Burning Man 2009 Theme

Postby Toxic Cacao!! » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:52 pm

these are theories.... no one knows or will ever know the real secrets of our universe... and well to be frank, if you do think you know you haven't quite expanded your mind far enough... His theories may be different.. but who's to say one science is always right. If it wasn't for people coming up with these new theories we wouldn't get very far... would we. And if he gets proven wrong, well that's another step up from were we were.
I think of you when I play with my dolls...
Toxic Cacao!!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:19 pm

There's a difference between scientific theories and bullshit. We will never be absolutely right, but some things are always wrong.

The problem arises because as well as science describes the universe (and nothing else has even come close--not even if you added them all up) it doesn't answer those vital questions like "why am I here?" and "what does it mean?" Some of us can lose ourselves in the grandeuer of the stellar nurseries and the wonders of trilobites. But translating that for the rest of humanity remains a problem.

And having two cosmologists in the family just makes that video painful.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Toxic Cacao!! » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Beliefs are beliefs... I'd believe him if he was in my family... I'm gonna go drink some tea now, and enjoy my time here. Bark Bark. Woof Woof. And have a nice day.
Toxic Cacao!!

Postby dr.placebo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:36 pm

I call bullshit on the Haramein presentation. Not because I'm some kind of solar physicist, but because all of this is so disconnected from those who are. There is no reason to believe that crossing the galactic plane will have any noticeable effect because there is every reason to think that the boundary is just an abstraction, and that if there were discontinuities we would see some evidence (especially since we are so bloody close).

Also, the presentation veers back and forth, and throws together psedudoscientific jargon with abandon, coming dangerously close to the L. Ron Hubbard semantic disintegration limit.

And as for the upcoming geomagnetic field reversal, please review:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

And, in case you want to see daily variations:

http://geomag.usgs.gov/

Something big is always coming. It rarely arrives on our schedule.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:38 pm

dr.placebo wrote: L. Ron Hubbard semantic disintegration limit.
What a brilliant phrase!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby dr.placebo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks, Crypto! Whenever I have a moral dilemma I just think WWLRHD and I start to giggle hysterically.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 pm

WWLRHD

bugger little boys named Xenu.

duh.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby pinemom » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:33 am

dr.placebo wrote:Thanks, Crypto! Whenever I have a moral dilemma I just think WWLRHD and I start to giggle hysterically.

hahhaa I really should read all the way up sometimes...
I thought....
WWLRHD
is:
What Would Larry(insert middle name of choice)Harvey Do?
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 am

What Would Larry(insert middle name of choice)Harvey Do?

bugger little boys named Xenu

duh.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Toxic Cacao!! » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:34 pm

I just found some bullshit out in a cow field... looked more like digested hay to me.. and did I tell you I shit rainbows? What the hell does that mean! Oh, and nothing will ever change on this planet, there was never an ice age, dinosaurs never existed and god is pointing his finger at people making them piss there pants in public. Thanks for waking me up!
Toxic Cacao!!

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Toxic Cacao!! wrote:I just found some bullshit out in a cow field... looked more like digested hay to me.. and did I tell you I shit rainbows? What the hell does that mean!

That means you ate the special mushrooms.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:38 pm

Toxic Cacao!! wrote:these are theories.... no one knows or will ever know the real secrets of our universe...

Theories are generally a hypothesis supported by data that best explains particular phenomena, system or cycle, which renders testable and repeatable prediction. Gravity is a theory, and it best explains why our solar system stays together over time, and the math based on this theory works pretty well. Just walk outside on a clear night right after sunset and look at all them dang "theory-based" satellites in orbit.

There are no secrets, just blank spots in our knowledge.
chiefdanfox

Postby Toxic Cacao!! » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:52 pm

And look at all those "theory based" satellites that have fallen back to earth... gravity works, but people's "theories" don't always work the way we think they will...

For example USA193: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_193
Toxic Cacao!!

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:50 pm

It is not at all clear to me that a decaying orbit, because atmospheric drag, is somehow a refutation of Newton's Law of gravity. Or that the math in the orbital mechanics, based on these theories had something to do with this particular decaying orbit Not to mention the fact that while this satellite achieved the correct orbit (theories), it malfunctioned so normal orbit corrections to keep the orbit stable (because of atmospheric drag) didn't really happen.

As every school child knows, an orbit is a line of trajectory around a mass body, but not necessarily one that is stable, circular or even making a circumnavigation around the body, and it takes at least two firings of rockets, or path adjustments or combination thereof (human technology) to place a body in an orbit around around a body. It has to do with physics.

This is from wiki:

"The main proven technique involves launching nearly vertically for a few kilometers while performing a gravity turn, and then progressively flattening the trajectory out at an altitude of 170+ km and accelerating on a horizontal trajectory (with the rocket angled upwards to fight gravity and maintain altitude) for a 5-8 minute burn until orbital velocity is achieved. Currently, 2-4 stages are needed to achieve the required delta-v."

Essentially, an orbit that is too circular, and too close will start to lose energy from atmospheric drag, and to some extent, depending on the satellite's configuration, electromagnetic drag (metal parts can start building up current by flying through the EM field, and this gets converted into heat, which slowly builds and slowly dissipates in the near vacuum.), which tend to make the orbit more circular, hence losing energy, so the satellite essentially spirals into the gravity well, as did 193.

The atmosphere expands and contracts mostly because of solar activity. The expansion can cause satellites higher than 200 km to experience higher drag. That is why the Space Station has to get boosts into higher orbits, along with other satellites, like the Hubble. For 193 to have stayed in a more stable orbit, its perigee probably needed to be 10-15 km higher, which the DoD could have adjusted and compensated for, if they hadn't lost communication with 193.

The theory holds just fine, it was the engineering that botched it. I think the fact that they could hit this 17,000 mph satellite with a missile fired from a boat bouncing around on an ocean on a planet spinning at nearly 1,000 mph suggests that the theory and the math derived from the theory hold.
;) yo, orbital mechanics, family fun!
chiefdanfox

Postby Elderberry » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:47 pm

What you are all witnessing here is the result of years of decay in how we teach science and scientific thinking in our public schools.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Toxic Cacao!! » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm

gravity doesn't always work in our favor... but where I'm at there is snow falling from the sky... that works for me! I'm off to fall on my ass! Later. :D
Toxic Cacao!!

Postby wedeliver » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:40 pm

I hope I haven't already posted this....

Speaking of Gravity. Einstein said, "you can't blame gravity for falling in love"

Think about that for a second. The smallest thing in the world might have the most MASS and attraction. A new way to think of a "black hole".
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:48 pm

wedeliver wrote:I hope I haven't already posted this....

Speaking of Gravity. Einstein said, "you can't blame gravity for falling in love"

Think about that for a second. The smallest thing in the world might have the most MASS and attraction. A new way to think of a "black hole".

tell that to Ted Danson..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby wedeliver » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:08 am

You mean Woopi??
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Thematically wise, might we discuss "The Evolution of Burningman"?
Ugly Dougly

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Thematically wise, might we discuss "The Evolution of Burningman"?

What would you like to discuss my barbaric brother?
Toolmaker

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:21 pm

will this year be our "Altamont"?

i think we're gonna need more Hell's Angels.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:51 pm

Toolmaker wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Thematically wise, might we discuss "The Evolution of Burningman"?

What would you like to discuss my barbaric brother?

We were discussing the theme as I recall.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:17 pm

which page was it we left the theme on?

But, a question I have:
must/have we evolved beyond barbarians?
I like em...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Is this the one where there's a fish, then a lizard, then a rat, then a monkey, then an ape, then a man, then the man?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Nope.
Booze, fire, more booze, more fire, change of venue, booze, fire, silly hats, more booze, more fire.

I don't think it is evolving. I don't see any pigs smoking cigarettes.
chiefdanfox

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:26 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

Is this the one where there's a fish, then a lizard, then a rat, then a monkey, then an ape, then a man, then the man?

No its the one that starts with a pyro on a beach, then a pyro with a flaming couch in the desert, then a pyro at a rave, and now a barbarian horde of ravers that will steal anything that isn't nailed down.

I know Larry is just trying for themes that are media friendly and will make more money but what we have actually evolved into is not good. The Radical Inclusion principle allows too many yahoos and thieves into the mix. Maybe closing the gate Tuesday morning would help some.. wishful thinkin I guess.
Toolmaker

Postby littleflower » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:26 pm

chiefdanfox wrote: I don't see any pigs smoking cigarettes.

i've seen a few ... but thought they were rather indicative of de-evolution ...
littleflower

Postby xxRion » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 pm

I actully like the theme of BM 09
Its different.. Im positive there will be a lot of amazing art, and outfits, as always...
im sure a lot of people, will take "evolution" in different ways..
The theme dosnt have to be about the evolution of life..it can be understood as the evolution of anything..
if you think about it, A LOT of things have evolved and changed
So go into BM 09...with your understanding of evolution...or what you want to make of it...
But no matter what...
Burning man is always an amazing time..even if you think the theme isnt the greatest ever..go there with an open mind, and get ready to have one of the best weeks of the year!
Go meet new people..share stories..hear stories..run around on the playa.
go dance, do yoga, take a day and walk the playa, look at as much art as you can & take everything in, but most of all... have the time of your life!
xxRion
xxRion

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:15 am

do yoga

i would rather die first.

and as far as pigs smoking cigarettes, have you SEEN the cashiers at Wal-Mart-Reno on their Break?

i have.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Theme