Burning Man 2009 Theme

Postby gyre » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:33 am

Which Huxley?
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:52 am

The Elder, aka Darwin's Bulldog.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:28 am

I like the theme. It coincidentally fits quite nicely with what I was contemplating after the Man burned this year. So, sorry if I telepathically boxed-in next year for you... but I think it's a good open-ended theme.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Re: my thoughts

Postby Cassidy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 pm

gyre wrote:
Cassidy wrote:The pocket gopher is EXTINCT?????????!!!! WTF!!

Aaaannnyway... I immediately saw this theme as a way for me to express my thoughts about evolutionary pathways such as "survival of the fittest" and why/when/where things are or are not "fit enough" in any given when/where. One could get VERY creative just along that line of thinking.

Themes will only limit the those who are not creative, and I think there's an abundance of creative folks that attend Burning Man that will stretch and pull ideas related to evolution that will fascinate us once again.

You do know 'survival of the fittest' only refers to procreation, I hope?
Nothing else.

No, I wasn't aware of that limit. :?: There are many different interpretations of the phrase. I learned in my Darwinism course that it referred to an organism's ability to compete and adapt to its environment. Off to Wikipedia to get my details straight....

One thing I do know is that as people delve into these interpretations of the facts of evolution, it should make them more creative in their art, which was my original point.
Cassidy

Postby Free2B » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 pm

"However, this rigorous weeding out of 'unfit' individuals has gradually ceased to occur within our species. Medicine and mutual aid assure that nearly anyone is able to survive and reproduce. "

Now that got me thinking...
Free2B

Postby unjonharley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:13 pm

PLANET of the BURNER APES

you can not come through tthe gate without an ape mask..
unjonharley

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:29 pm

There are lots of things that evolve, aside from evolutionary biology. Ideas, artforms, cultures, neglected leftovers, philosophies, take yer pick.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby gyre » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:07 pm

The Chuang think they are descended from a she-demon and a mountain ape.
It makes more sense than the 'science' of creationism anyway.

Not relevant, but neither is a theme.
gyre

Postby dr.placebo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:20 pm

The process of trial and error that has made this possible is called Natural Selection. Genetically encoded traits that aid survival tend to spread throughout entire populations. Living entities that bear these genes endure and reproduce, but maladaptive traits are not passed on. This causes species to evolve to better fit the world in which they live. However, this rigorous weeding out of 'unfit' individuals has gradually ceased to occur within our species. Medicine and mutual aid assure that nearly anyone is able to survive and reproduce.

from http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burningman/bm09_theme.html

This seems to be a natural conclusion. However, there is significant evidence that indicates that human evolution is much faster in the past 5000 years than in previous eras of human development.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7132794.stm
http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/070326_evolution.htm
http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSN1043228620071210

It may well be that gaining some control over our environment actually causes faster evolution through larger populations moving into a larger variety of ecological niches.

The notion that mutual aid stifles evolution is only valid if the ability to attract such aid is unrelated to inherited traits, which runs counter to my observations.

And we have not yet started to discuss the evolution of ideas, of societies, and the possibility of self-directed human evolution.

Let the games begin!
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby JezebelinHell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:28 pm

I think we need a Natural Selection art installation. Rebar death maze anyone?
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby unjonharley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:31 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:I think we need a Natural Selection art installation. Rebar death maze anyone?

I like to to watch.. Stoners fall down alot..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:18 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:I think we need a Natural Selection art installation. Rebar death maze anyone?
We have that.
Guy wires on tents.

You can do lively things with piano wire really tight about 3-5 inches off the ground, even crisscrossed.
Hell on wheels in the dark or combined with a PIR activated spotlight or strobe.
Effective on stairs too.
Just don't forget!
gyre

Postby Laughing Forest » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:12 pm

I predict at least (10) mutant vehicles made up like masted ships and given the name [i]Beagle[/i].
Laughing Forest

Postby Mad Maxine » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 pm

As a former Palaeontologist, I wholeheartedly approve!
Personality is what you are in the dark.
-John Whorfin
Mad Maxine

Postby geekster » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:38 pm

OMG! It's Waffle Man!
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Evolution... Perfect theme

Postby porterico » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Hmmm... Darwin... Evolution being a quantifiable science... these are indeed facts that objective science has proved, but what most scientists have failed to realize is that group pressures on organismal evolution are much more important to our species survival than simple changes in DNA at this point. DNA dosen't chang very fast... Group social changes now are basically all that matter. Our social landscape evolves... or at least is capable of evolving much faster than our DNA... that is without considering the potential for rapid genetic modification of human beings by human beings or other pressures.

Group evolution is not described by Darwin...

I would suggest Howard Bloom's books

"The Lucifer Principle" & "Global Brain" for understanding things outside of Darwin's little box.

Both are well documented... I think one of the books has 300 pages of references...

This is the evolution that I am interested in... where are we going as a species... and how are we going to get there?

Artistically... Evolution I think is a wonderful theme... Art and Artists are what have pushed the social development envelope forever... it dosen't take a rocket scientist to understand that artists of one flavor or another have been on the fringe challenging the paradigm du jour... for artists Evolution is in my humble opinion the epitome of just a blank canvas... or the playa if you'd enjoy a simile.

Cheers,
All the best for '08
porterico
porterico

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Anyone else see this?
Explains a lot.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genes/
gyre

Postby geekster » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:35 am

This is to me a return of the "non-preachy" art themes that I had come to like. There is so much that can be done with this theme. Now if I can just figure out a way to put webbing between my fingers for burn night ...
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby notation » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:28 am

This is my first post.

This will be my first year going...

and I LOVE THE THEME so far.
support the underground scenes.
notation

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:51 am

all of you untermensch are all the same.

The Human Organism can be trained, altered, modified and made BETTER through modern technology and CHEMICALS, as well as implants and electronics.

KAMP UBERMENSCH, better, stronger, faster, more psychotic....

we will take Gerlach in 3 days, and after that, well, you know what comes next.

it is not a surprise, that the seig heil lasted for 11 1/2 minutes this year, the MENSCH IS OUT OF THE BAG, EVERYBODY BETTER POLKA, and like it.

i myself, cant wait to break out the jodphurs and riding boots.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Grazelda » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:56 am

psychotic playa polka... hmmm... might be the makings of a new theme camp.
Grazelda

Playa polka

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Grazelda wrote:psychotic playa polka... hmmm... might be the makings of a new theme camp.

Once upon a time (1994 et. al.) Polkacide was the biggest band on the playa.
Marscrumbs

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm

yes...96'....i think it was the lead singer....playing chicken on the open playa. him on motorcycle vs. truck carrying porta potties (cant remember) also vaguely remember man driving truck knew him (friend)

horrible.

motorcycle lost.

some say he never turned off, so it was suicide.....either that or he's a helluva chicken player.

either way, the rest of the band played the most exquisite Hava Negilah i have ever heard, and most likely will ever hear and dance to for the rest of my life.

that WAS a psychotic polka wake.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

The Church of England Apologizes

Postby Oldguy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:49 pm

‘Charles Darwin, 200 years from your birth [in 1809], the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still.

‘But the struggle for your reputation is not over yet, and the problem is not just your religious opponents but those who falsely claim you in support of their own interests.’

The article has been written by the Rev Dr Malcolm Brown, the director of mission and public affairs of the Archbishops’ Council, the Church’s managing body, which is headed by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams.

Revolutionary: Darwin's best-known book, published in 1859
Dr Brown writes: ‘People, and institutions, make mistakes and Christian people and Churches are no exception. When a big new idea emerges that changes the way people look at the world, it’s easy to feel that every old idea, every certainty, is under attack and then to do battle against the new insights.

‘The Church made that mistake with Galileo’s astronomy and has since realised its error. Some Church people did it again in the 1860s with Charles Darwin’s theory of natural selection.

'So it is important to think again about Darwin’s impact on religious thinking, then and now.’

Dr Brown argues that there is nothing incompatible between the scientific theories adopted by Darwin and Christian teaching.

The English naturalist, geologist and collector, best known for his 1859 book On The Origin Of Species, scandalised Victorian society with his theory that all species of life evolved from common ancestors.

One of the most venomous clashes over his ideas took place in 1860 during a debate at Oxford University. The Bishop of Oxford, Samuel Wilberforce, asked the evolutionist and Darwin champion, Thomas Huxley, whether it was through his grandfather or his grandmother that he claimed to be descended from a monkey.

Huxley replied that he would not be ashamed to have an ape for his ancestor but he would be ashamed to be connected with a man who used his gifts to obscure the truth.

In his article, Dr Brown writes: ‘His [Darwin’s] theory caused offence because it challenged the view that God had created human beings as an entirely different kind of creation to the rest of the animal world.

‘But while it is not difficult to see why evolutionary thinking was offensive at the time, on reflection it is not such an earth-shattering idea.’

The Church’s move will reignite the debate over creationism. In the United States, Republican Vice-Presidential candidate Sarah Palin argues that it should be taught in schools.

In this country, the Rev Professor Michael Reiss, a biologist director of education at the Royal Society, provoked a furore last week when he called for creationism to be treated in school science lessons as a legitimate world view.

Ann Widdecombe: 'We've already apologised for slavery and the Crusades. When is it all going to stop?'
Last night, the Church, which apologised for its role in the slave trade two years ago, came in for fierce criticism for its latest mea culpa.

Former Conservative Minister Ann Widdecombe, who left the Church of England to become a Roman Catholic, said: ‘It’s absolutely ludicrous. Why don’t we have the Italians apologising for Pontius Pilate?

‘We’ve already apologised for slavery and for the Crusades. When is it all going to stop? It’s insane and makes the Church of England look ridiculous.’

Andrew Darwin, a great-great grandson of the eminent scientist, said he was ‘bemused’ by the apology, which seemed ‘pointless’.

‘Why bother?’ he said. ‘When an apology is made after 200 years, it’s not so much to right a wrong, but to make the person or organisation making the apology feel better.’

Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Association, said: ‘It does seem rather crazy for an institution to address an apology to an individual so long after his death.

‘As well as being much too late, the message strikes me as insincere, as if there is an unspoken “butâ€
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:00 am

thank god for the brits, they are just so QUIRKY!

quirky little monkeys, you're looking at my prehensile tail, are'nt you, you cheeky bastards.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Like bitching that the dance audition excludes nondancers...

Postby honeyfire » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:05 am

Simon, is this prehensile tail you speak of readily available, or did you have yours custom made?
'Cos i've been wanting one for ages. *nodding*

Gyre, i see what you're saying, i simply don't agree, because the interacting with the theme is optional. If you had to stick to the theme to get in, then, yeah, i'd have a problem with it, but just because we can doesn't mean we have to.
And while i hate to think that creativity is so delicate that the slightest upset will crush or disperse it, i know full well that everyone's process is different, and for some people the Muse is a very fickle sprite indeed.
That mine is a sturdy beast with good aerodynamics certainly doesn't mean that someone else's doesn't jet off at the first sign of constriction.

Amusingly, a bunch of us did a group performance art piece years ago, tracing the evolution of human creativity (primarily through music).
It was fun, and we discovered that Blues King Greg can also do incredible non-verbal opera style vocals. Heh, his creativity evolved through working up his part of the show...

In other news:
Ever actually READ any Darwin?
That man needed to evolve some more periods and thin the comma herd!
Brilliant, but not light reading for damn sure! :laughing
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!
honeyfire

Postby gyre » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 am

Some people are excess baggage in the airport of life.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Speaking of excess baggage...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:45 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:.playing chicken on the open playa. him on motorcycle vs. truck carrying porta potties

Michael Fury, RIP. Allegedly Burning Man's first on-playa fatality.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:49 am

gyre wrote:Some people are excess baggage in the airport of life.

And others are the shit stain in the under shorts of life.
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Theme