Busted by the police at Opulent Temple.

Busted by the police at Opulent Temple.

Postby Mr.? » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:53 pm

While my friends and I were dancing at Opulent Temple we stood near the edge of the dance floor to the inside of the crowd. To the left of us there was a bar where a few people were laughing and joking and having a great time. I was enjoying myself and having a great “rollâ€
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Mr.?

Postby willyloafofphora » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Thats a great story. More people should run diversion tactics like that and make it so they never know what the fuck is going on. Smoke rollies and share them and go around handing out random bags of candy that look like pills. We used to do that kind of shit in high school we'd look all sketchy and pass bags of oregano back and forth. The narcs hated that shit.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby Zona_the_stona » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Wow, that is so funny! The girl with the Altoids is a friend of mine. I wasn't there but she told everyone in our camp the same story and we laughed our asses off.
Zona_the_stona

Postby jessisandi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:38 pm

fantastic!
jessisandi

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:45 pm

LMAO wow i love that one talking about making an ass out of your self.... way to go LEO's... LEO's keeping burners safe from minty fresh breath :)
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:58 pm

While it may be funny to play with LEOs one must keep in mind that you can still get hauled in while they "test" stuff. Thats not so funny and can ruin ones burn.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby somekind » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Yea, don't forget the burners who were hassled for granola in their ziplock bags, or gatorade in little bags/

Just stay away from the police. They're not there to help you.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.
somekind

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:30 pm

somekind wrote:Yea, don't forget the burners who were hassled for granola in their ziplock bags, or gatorade in little bags/

Just stay away from the police. They're not there to help you.

Every year I go to a party.. This party has as many as 400 people.. They are out on the streets of Portland Or. In and out of bars. Trafic has to stop to let them pass.. And they all get pretty drunk by the wee hours..

There are two rules.. Don't mess with kids and don't fuck with the cops..

The police are on us like a duck on a june bug.. Only some of the young polce try to mix it up.. Most just watch and sit back..

The two rule keep the thing going year after year..
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:37 pm

You make it look like you're popping pills, then think the cops are assholes for reacting?
The only people that have trouble with the mostly very nice cops at BM are the ones that are doing drugs or driving drunk or being belligerent assholes.
You deserve it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Mr.? » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:45 pm

[quote="Captain Goddammit"]You make it look like you're popping pills, then think the cops are assholes for reacting?
The only people that have trouble with the mostly very nice cops at BM are the ones that are doing drugs or driving drunk or being belligerent assholes.
You deserve it

First off I don't see where I said the cops were assholes?
Second What exactly did I deserve?

The best part of the whole event was watching the reaction of the the officers. The shorter one had a slight grin on his face and you could see he was laughing it off. The second officer who was a good four inches taller than me puffed up and stood directly over me and said, "People lace those with LSD and we have a job to do" in a very threatening posture.

My intentions were to be as calm as possible and show no sarcasm what so ever. I did have a feeling that I might of just pissed that one cop off, and thought I might end up in detention while they test. I thought it through for about 10 seconds before I did it. When you are reading this as a topic you might pass judgment, but let me tell you at that moment I had to act quick because they were still feeling the embarrassment from the first mistake.

It was my art project to those dozen or so people that came up to me after that to give me a high five or pat on the back. :twisted: :twisted:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Mr.?

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:56 pm

you should have got your ass kicked to the curb for obstruction.. It's asshats like you that force more law onto BRC.. The time they have to spend per person is how many officers they will need. Your just no that funny..
unjonharley

Postby Dork » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:16 am

Someone in my group had something similar happen while we were sitting outside the big white dome. She was smoking a cigarette and a guy who looks like Rob Riggle dressed in full riot gear complete with bullet proof vest (someone asked his partner if that's what they were and he said yes) said: "I'm just asking - is that tobacco?"

"No, it's clove" she answered.

He then proceeded to ramble on about how she wasn't acting like it was a regular cigarette but now that he's close he can smell it and blah blah blah. I was a little out of it and I thought it was performance art rather than an actual cop. He was just way too hardcore and impersonal and the uniform was over the top.

Those guys obviously have us pegged as druggies and are jumping on the weakest of leads. I'm sick of that assume the worst posture permeating law enforcement these days. Screw them - I say we all start carrying baggies of altoids, chicklets, powdered sugar, and home rolled tobacco ciggies.
Dork

Postby hsdavis » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:33 am

I had 6 separate encounters with the police and all were totally unfounded. They were very snoopy and fishing for anything they could find. In every case they were wrong and were never apologetic, only annoyed that they found nothing. With one on one conversations with the police, they were all very nice. They were enjoying the event as much as the paying participants. The constant low profile spying was wearing very thin by the end of the week. They did not come across as professionals ready to help and keep order, but more vigilantes willing to bust anyone to justify them being there.
I have never seen many people under the influence of drugs or even alchohol at BM. I know it's there, but with so much to see and do, I find it better to keep a clear head all week. I really wish the police could back off a bit and handle only the most blatant issues.
hsdavis

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:24 am

Toolmaker wrote:While it may be funny to play with LEOs one must keep in mind that you can still get hauled in while they "test" stuff. Thats not so funny and can ruin ones burn.
The compensation could pay for the next few year's trips to the playa.
If every single case of false accusation was pressed, they might have to pretend to be professionals.
Assuming burning man is a crack neighborhood does actually make them morons and assholes.

Being stupid enough to jump to conclusions every time someone lights up a cigarette is really not an excuse.
And who travels with vitamins or whatever in the original container if it isn't prescription?

If you want to do sensory overload by passing packs of paperclips and monopoly money back and forth, count me in.
Let's make it something that sounds really ridiculous on the network news!
Youtube fame awaits a lucky police officer.

We'll need a camera person or two also.

Could we fake a crack pipe with an infrared LED?
I know you can blind an infrared camera with a headband of them.
Doesn't take many.

I'll have to read up on infrared masking techniques.
gyre

Postby Lorgasm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:28 am

Hey,
Has anyone had those green Altoids yet? I just took two of them and you would not believe the visuals I'm getting. Woa. Nice colors. Strong, crunchy, but oh so good. Unfortunately the feeling a few minutes.

Burn on my lovelies,
Lorgasm
BOOBIES!!!
Lorgasm

Re: Busted by the police at Opulent Temple.

Postby wedeliver » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am

Mr.? wrote:While my friends and I were dancing at Opulent Temple That is when a light bulb when off in my head. I asked him if he was carrying anything illegal, and he said no at which case I asked him for a hand full of Altoids. I put a goofy grin on my face, crossed my eyes and went fishing. One of the officers didn’t think I was funny at all and informed me that some people lace them with LSD and that they were only doing there job. I said that we were both doing our jobs and wished them a good burn and an Altoid.

a little editing for a simpler read..

Sounds like a stupid thing a kid would do. Thank you.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Toolmaker » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:20 am

gyre wrote:Could we fake a crack pipe with an infrared LED?
Doesn't take many.

Here's the vid I watched to help me fuck with those night vision media scum that kept filming everyone. The didn't get me on video. ;)

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video ... as-201280/
Toolmaker

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:24 am

Camp Oregano?
The wheels are turning my friends.
Aiee! It burns!

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:29 am

Toolmaker wrote:
Doesn't take many.

Here's the vid I watched to help me fuck with those night vision media scum that kept filming everyone. The didn't get me on video. ;)

The tiny bead lite on my night scope is a flood lite at 100 feet.

Pointed at a scope it would kill
it's ability
unjonharley

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:40 am

the problem lies in the type of LEO you encountered.

most of my Gubbermint friends we're whacked on molly all week long. so you never know, now do ya....
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Intubater69 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:44 am

hsdavis wrote:I really wish the police could back off a bit and handle only the most blatant issues.

Hell yeah!
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby alt12 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:42 pm

best to stay out of the LEOs way and be nice....some of them have been coming for years and through the positive interactions of participants have eventually become fans of the event and actually look forward to working at the event....some are assholes obviously (so are some burners) and some are undercover narcs that run entrapment stings (big fucking assholes)....but generally they are pretty OK...problems happen when 20-year old kids with daddy issues try to fuck with them or bring some attitude or try messing with them......grow-up a bit and just kinda mind your own business and everything will be ok....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby RedheadBarbie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:52 pm

Seriously, we have family who are LEO's and they are all, for the most part, just out to keep us safe. If you do things like that it takes a longer response time for real emergencies like the girl who died in that mutant vehicle mishap.

We've heard stories about horrible tragedies and seen it affect them. They may not even have been on scene but still walk around in a weird funk for days or weeks after a major death or accident. If they were 'out to get you' they would be glad to have one less offender when someone dies.
RedheadBarbie

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:45 pm

No one is planning on bombing a police station.
No one needs to do anything that would even be noticed by real police.

But the guys/girls that walk into a camp uninvited and ask for 'psychedelics'....
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:12 pm

gyre wrote:No one is planning on bombing a police station.
No one needs to do anything that would even be noticed by real police.

But the guys/girls that walk into a camp uninvited and ask for 'psychedelics'....

All that has to be done there is"point and laugh"

The undercovers were doing that type stuff when I was druging 40 years ago..

If you can't spot a undercover, Stop using/your a dumb ass.
unjonharley

Postby Toolmaker » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:
Doesn't take many.

The tiny bead lite on my night scope is a flood lite at 100 feet.

Pointed at a scope it would kill
it's ability

I'm currently planning on trying to make somethin to destroy cameras from afar. I'm thinkin a laser might do the trick mounted to a small handheld spotting scope. Zero it out at the range and dead digi cameras on the playa or streetcorners. Small keychain lasers might be good to point at installed cameras to fool with em, it might be hard to track the source if they are placed right. So far I only know about the IR mask and thats really cheap to make. If you use leds all over your body you'll look like a giant walking light, maybe someone will think yer an alien and post it to youtube lol.

My biggest problem at BM has never been police.. than again I try to keep things on the DL and don't cause too much concern for them. I did have ONE cop pat me down for no reason but after he didn't find squat he let me go. I figured it was best to let him do his thing than have him haul me away for trying to argue the law with him. He did have probable cause since I was obviously trashed and could have been holding.

My biggest problem has always been the camera laden spectator who works the event. I see it as commerce infecting the community no matter how they dress. They are there for money PERIOD no matter how they try to SELL their spectatorship. Wearing a tutu to justify things still doesn't make it right to study us or sell our collective art for profit in any way shape or form. The cops are there for money too but they can be avoided easy. Like Unjohn said.. this is old hat.. if you can't spot em maybe you should go straight edge and lay off the dope.
Toolmaker

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:18 pm

They aren't all obvious.
There was a camp of them in 2007.
I wonder if anyone is smart enough to send in the clowns, so no one will be on their guard for the real undercovers?
gyre

Postby alt12 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:33 pm

gyre wrote:They aren't all obvious.
There was a camp of them in 2007.
I wonder if anyone is smart enough to send in the clowns, so no one will be on their guard for the real undercovers?

I argee....they are not all easy to spot....in 2005 I watched as 4 of my friends got arrested in an entrapment sting....the two undercover narcs looked to be in their mid-20s wearing cute outfits...one of them was a cute little asian girl who asked my friend for pot.....that was the year that supposedly they also had an ice cream truck art-car and a camp...not sure if thats true but seems like this year the police presence was less....I didnt see as many of the ATVs at night with the night vision or as many cops snooping around the big dance camps....but maybe its just cause everything was bigger and more spread-out....

one thing's for sure.....never give or purchase drugs from anyone at BM that you don't already know or isn't in your camp.....pretty good policy in my opinon....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:52 pm

I remember the ice cream truck.

There were definitely police art cars in 2005.
I filed complaints.
I still plan to tag any I catch.
They insisted I pay for a ride with drugs.
gyre

Postby Zulegoona » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 pm

or was that the shakedown game the DPW was playing in 05
Zulegoona

Next

Return to 2008 Theme Camps