Billionaire Camps

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:48 am

actually, that quote used to be on the Stationary out of Sen. Bob Kerrey's office.

i worked on a campaign for him many moons ago. I was our County's campaign manager, and subsequently rode Gov. Moonbeams coat-tails as a delegate to the DNC in 92'

strange times, as now.

many moons.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Billionaire Camps

Postby miimno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:14 pm

alt12 wrote:...They stayed about 6 minutes...

Any thoughts on what we as a community should or can do about this? Is it just something we need to accept that the culture and norms of the default world will eventually permeate burning man? Nothing against people with oodles of money coming to BM (thats nothing new) but it seems to me that the attempt to purchase participation is 100% counter to the spirit of the event and everything it stands for (i.e. radical self reliance vs. radical conspicuos consumption)....However, it is a textbook cultural norm for the U.S.A (I guess in that sense it fits with the American Dream: everything is for sale and everything is commoditizable, including the counter-culture...

Perhaps there is nothing to do here as anyone with the buy Burning Man approach will either a) simply not get the event and not come back (i.e. self-select out of Burning Man) or b) will get-it and come back with a more authentic and participatory role thereby adding to burning man instead of taking away from it.....

That being said, I had one of the best burns ever....
alt12

1. Point and laugh?

2. The first thought in my head--not counting the slightly snarky comment--is that it is something like a matter of "degrees", as in: Totally to None. A kid wanders in with nothing but a bed roll and somehow manages to survive (work with me here, it's just an illustration); another, brings a tent, food, water and a change of underwear; another, brings a truck, trailer, tent, and 2000 pounds of gear; another, arrives in an RV; another, in a luxury RV; another, well, flies in and camps by her plane; another, ...you get the point. Which one is authentic? Which is most radically self-reliant? Which authentic? I sure don't know.
miimno

PATHETIC!!!

Postby Birthday Girl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:07 pm

First off, get the facts right.
You sound absolutely pathetic...the Rubber Duckey Camp as you put it is 3 camps in one. And yes, there are plenty of wealthy people in our camp. But they participate in Burning Man just as much as the next, if not more...many even Volunteer as greeters and medical personnel.
As for our million dollar RV's - c'mon...we rent them just like everyone else does.
And as far as someone buying the camp that is incorrect. There are over 200 of us that pay a fee to the camp which goes to water/sanitation/food/transportation and the Art Cars.
IF it werent for some of the wealthy BM goers, we wouldnt have Art Cars and/or parties/music at BM....do yo know how much it was to get that Duck to BM?
I know I met a lot of people not in our camp on the Duck...and they seemed VERY happy that we were there.
Get over you financial situation...and enjoy. I thought Burning Man is about NO JUDGEMENT?!?!
Birthday Girl

Re: PATHETIC!!!

Postby LisaLuckyOne » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Birthday Girl wrote:I thought Burning Man is about NO JUDGEMENT?!?!

Bzzzt! Wrong!

Thanks for playing!
It's better to be Lucky!
LisaLuckyOne

Postby fciron » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:06 pm

LisaLuckyOne wrote:
Birthday Girl wrote:I thought Burning Man is about NO JUDGEMENT?!?!

Bzzzt! Wrong!

Thanks for playing!

This isn't BM this is eplaya and it is full of judgemental mother-fuckers. I believe that is a requirement for being on the internet.
fciron

Postby LisaLuckyOne » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:10 pm

'Radically inclusive' is not the same thing as 'no judgement'. For example, I might give you a cold beer but I'll always reserve the right to think of you as an idiot.
It's better to be Lucky!
LisaLuckyOne

Postby Rob the Wop » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:07 pm

Birthday Girl wrote:IF it werent for some of the wealthy BM goers, we wouldnt have Art Cars and/or parties/music at BM....do yo know how much it was to get that Duck to BM

Uhm yah. I haven't read the whole thread- but apparently you don't know jack shite about art cars. Before the new 'art cars' that are around the playa nowdays, they used to have Art Car Camp. Y'know, those art cars that people drive 24/7. That they were making before Burning Man was around. I've been in Art Car Camp in 97-98, and have known they folks for quite a while.

Money is generally the last thing they have. Try going to the Art Car fests that they have, well, everywhere. See how many are Porsches.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

glad you arent in my camp

Postby Birthday Girl » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:23 am

Just glad all your negativeness is not in my camp.
If you all want to judge us b/c we're successful and try to give back to Burning Man by bringing the best damn art car, awesome music and great fun people...then judge away. We are a great group of positive people...that have been going to Burning Man for over 8yrs...
ANd if you think that it doesnt take a lot of money to bring all those sounds systems, stages, lights and generators to BM...you're insane...so be thankful that they guy from Roots Society has money...he has supplied many people with awesome experiences.
Birthday Girl

Re: glad you arent in my camp

Postby MozyBonz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:42 am

Birthday Girl wrote:Just glad all your negativeness is not in my camp.
If you all want to judge us b/c we're successful and try to give back to Burning Man by bringing the best damn art car, awesome music and great fun people...then judge away. We are a great group of positive people...that have been going to Burning Man for over 8yrs...
ANd if you think that it doesnt take a lot of money to bring all those sounds systems, stages, lights and generators to BM...you're insane...so be thankful that they guy from Roots Society has money...he has supplied many people with awesome experiences.

Outdoor Events form a part of the public leisure time that is growing,
both in terms of the amount of time spent at major events and in
economic terms, as there is a vast industry which services these
events, contributing large sums to the nations economy.

This industry forms a unique part of the leisure world, being mostly
service based, but encompassing many other sides of business. From
catering to computers, from low tech to high tech, there is such
variety that generally an outsider could not comprehend the total
scope without some difficulty.

I get it.... some people don't
MozyBonz

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:55 am

SOMEbody sounds a little pissed off. The phrase "Water off of a duck's back" comes to mind. I thought the Duck was cool, but I have to admit, a little shine came off of the flashing when I was told it was bought and paid for, and not presented to BM by the artist, but rather the purchaser.

It began to resemble a painting hanging in a museum, under which a plaque states under whose endowment the painting is displayed. The difference is that the artist's name is usually the important thing. Not how the painting was packed for shipping to the museum, not how expensive is the frame, and certainly not how deep the benefactor's pocket. Sheesh folks. It kind of ceases to be a gift of art when we are forced to take notice of the rich guy providing the shipping crate. I think the duck was wonderful, and the artist(s) who created it brilliant, and bless the moneybag who shelled out for it, and got it to the playa.
chiefdanfox

Postby MozyBonz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:41 pm

I would agree that Birthday Girl shouldn't take it so personally.

I also find it interesting how much people get offended about people with money.
I mean it took the same resources, time and money to pull off the duck MV at that level in any case.

It really shouldn't mater if it was an individual or a group of individuals.
MozyBonz

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:10 pm

I Agree Mozy,

the problem is not money, as it is merely a tool, the problem is with Tools with Mere Money, and not much else.

I have seen very shoddy construction from people who have the best, most shiniest, coolest shit in the Home de Pot.

and i have also seen genius come from a simple hammer and nails.

it is indeed, what you make of it.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby The Bass » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm

in general, i find that art which is created by burning man participants is much more meaningful at burning man than art which was created by non-participants.

if a few rich guys paid a lot of money for someone else to make a duck, they are definitely headed in the right direction -- gifts are good, and that was a good gift.

next year, maybe they will make their own duck, or find others who will, or maybe bring the duck-makers to the playa!

it'll be much more satisfying for everyone. i guarantee it.
The Bass

Postby MozyBonz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:39 pm

Define participant..
Define non-participant...
MozyBonz

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:08 pm

So what claim to the glory of the duck does Birthday Girl have? Because, afaict, it's based on the fact that she was in the same camp as it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MozyBonz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:12 pm

rule one = Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.
MozyBonz

Postby LisaLuckyOne » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So what claim to the glory of the duck does Birthday Girl have? Because, afaict, it's based on the fact that she was in the same camp as it.

Are you high? I didn't see where she made any 'claim to the glory' except to say she was part of the camp. And what the fuck business is it of yours anyway?
It's better to be Lucky!
LisaLuckyOne

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:34 pm

I'm sorry the liberal use of the pronoun "we" gave me the wrong impression. I'm always suspicious of those who seem to be too cozy with other people's achievements.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:37 pm

The premise of this thread is unbelievably stupid, hateful & pointless, but I do love all the incredibly shortsighted, venal & niggardly replies.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:49 am

Finally a couch that makes sense.
Ugly Dougly

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:34 am

I'm tiered of these money bags getting all the attention on this thread..

How about good old "run down" on us dirt poor tag alongs..
unjonharley

Postby fciron » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:44 pm

So, um, when are the billionaires who need someone to build art cars gonna show up on the thread?

I've got my resume ready to go.
fciron

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:02 pm

It's all starting to sound a little too West Egg to me.

JK
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Boijoy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I want to make an art car of burlap and only let people dressed like potatos on it.. should't cost too much if someone donates the car. :)

I will even supply brown face paint and extra eyes.. for those folks not in costumes.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby oFZo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 am

wedeliver wrote:Lurker, have you ever been to Holland? No fat people first of all and they are very happy. They have developed methods to use everything, no waste.

As a Dutchman I have to disagree with you.
Plenty of fat people and kids are getting fatter.
Waste dumps and incinerators aplenty.
Happy? Lots of the typical Muslim vs Christian crap lately.
Just another part of "The West".
Too many puppies
with guns in their hands.
oFZo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:54 am

• niggardly •

Pronunciation: ni-gêrd-li • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective, Adverb

Meaning: Stingy, meanly parsimonious, very tight-fisted.

Notes: Today's Good Word—and it is a good word—is also a good example of the power of words. The pejorative connotation of the N-word, as we like to call it now in the US, is so great that it spreads to words that even sound similar. (For a discussions of the reprimands and firings that have resulted from the use of today's Good Word, click here.) This adjective is based on the noun, niggard "a tight-wad". It may be used as an adverb with no change or as a noun, niggardliness. There is nothing wrong in the use of any of these forms.

In Play: If you have trouble convincing your parents that they should raise your allowance, you might try this: "Hey, pop, how am I supposed to get along on such a niggardly allowance?" We can't guarantee your dad's reaction; only that it will garner you his undivided attention. We shouldn't be afraid to use this word in statements like this: "The niggardly raises and bonuses at this company make Ebenezer Scrooge look like a prime candidate for president!"

Word History: The root of today's Good Word, niggard, came from an Old English word nig "miser" which rather naturally picked up the pejorative suffix -ard, also found in drunkard, coward, stinkard. The root itself was probably brought over by the Vikings as a word related to Norwegian nøgg, Swedish njugg, and early modern Danish nygger—all adjectives meaning "parsimonious, stingy". The suffix -ly on today's adjective often marks adverbs. When added to a noun referring to a kind of person, however, it functions as an adjective suffix: friendly, womanly, manly. (Let us not be niggardly in our thanks to Jan Arps for having the courage to suggest today's unfairly besmirched Good Word.)
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 am

N-word- A pseudo-censorship term created by a defense attorney defending a slasher killer in a domestic assault case.
The term is an honorative to murder and using it implies that anyone it might refer to, is incapable of discussing insults rationally.
An extremely offensive term and a great defense strategy.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 am

[quote="Simon of the PlayaNotes: Today's Good Word—and it is a good word—is also a good example of the power of words. The pejorative connotation of the N-word, as we like to call it now in the US, is so great that it spreads to words that even sound similar. (For a discussions of the reprimands and firings that have resulted from the use of today's Good Word, click here.) This adjective is based on the noun, niggard "a tight-wad". It may be used as an adverb with no change or as a noun, niggardliness. There is nothing wrong in the use of any of these forms.
[/quote]
Any word on its relation (if any) to "niggling" meaning "small"?

i.e. Niggling details or niggling thought.

I think it oculd be related in the sense of the small bit of what ever that you get from a niggard. But that could just be one of those retro-explanations.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby fciron » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:53 am

theCryptofishist wrote:[quote="Simon of the PlayaNotes: Today's Good Word—and it is a good word—is also a good example of the power of words. The pejorative connotation of the N-word, as we like to call it now in the US, is so great that it spreads to words that even sound similar. (For a discussions of the reprimands and firings that have resulted from the use of today's Good Word, click here.) This adjective is based on the noun, niggard "a tight-wad". It may be used as an adverb with no change or as a noun, niggardliness. There is nothing wrong in the use of any of these forms.

Any word on its relation (if any) to "niggling" meaning "small"?

i.e. Niggling details or niggling thought.

I think it oculd be related in the sense of the small bit of what ever that you get from a niggard. But that could just be one of those retro-explanations.[/quote]

The root "nig" seems to have originally meant parsimonious or stingy which seems to fit with the examples.
fciron

Previous

Return to 2008 Theme Camps