Hook up Camps? And Dust Storms at NIght? Oh and Poop or Pee?

Poop or Pee?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Poop
44%
Pee
56%

Total votes : 9

Hook up Camps? And Dust Storms at NIght? Oh and Poop or Pee?

Postby sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:20 pm

First let me clarify, I have a stable girlfriend who I love and have no interest in this. However I have "clean" respectful friends who are planning to come to the playa to cut loose. I have only burned once so I dont know.

1. Are there specific hook up camps for just men just girls or both? Anywhere from have a drink and meet people camps (specifically for meeting up) to random cunnilingus/felatio exchange camps (where you walk into a dark camp and orgy...thats just how I picture it!) Somehow I am sure I am not the only one with this question!

2. Last year I noticed there were no sand storms at night...Does this ring true every year? Is the playa and the science of nature so mystical that at night there are no storms? Or was I just lucky?

Thanks all! Cant wait to meet everyone!...I bear gifts!
Peace
sktELEMENT

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:10 am

1. No, not really. Everyone's dream, but not reality. Unless I'm wrong. Which I might be. I am, you know. Wrong sometimes.

2. Dust storms, not sand. And generally no, but it can and has happened.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby sputnik » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:16 am

Never tried it, but there is a speed dating thing happening over in Snowflake Village at Clevian Circularity and Costco Soul Trading is another I have heard of.

Dust can happen any time, but the wind tends to be lighter at night.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Dusza Beben » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:33 am

There was a bad dust storm in '04 that went on after dark so it can happen. Best advice, be prepared for anything.

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:04 am

If you think there are no dust storms at night, then you must be leaving too early
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 am

Try Stiffy Lube.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Dust Storms

Postby joemomma » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:32 pm

I've noticed after 2 years in Reno, the wind picks up later in the afternoon. Ya know that whole thermodymanic thing....colder air sinks coming off the hills, heat rising off the playa....... Anti M, Anti M it's Dorothy!!!!!! Let me in!!!!! duhna duhna duh na na....
joemomma

Postby sktELEMENT » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:50 pm

[quote="oneeyeddick"]If you think there are no dust storms at night, then you must be leaving too early[/quote]

No, I was there all last year the entire time...Nights we completely calm with little to no wind and storm...which leads to the question I asked
sktELEMENT

Postby Dato » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:55 pm

It's safe to say the weather is completely unpredictable (heat and wind aside). Last year was REALLY mellow - calm and warm at nights.

Typically, it's not that mellow. It can get BITTER cold at night, it can be windy all night, it can rain like crazy, it can do whatever the ruck it wants. Expect nothing, prepare for everything.
Dato

Postby MissNev » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:00 pm

There can be different types of weather at any time. Anyone remember the huge rain storm in the middle of the night from 9 or 10 years ago or so? That was when I remembered to always attach my rain fly!

You can check the Who, What, Where, When for hookup events.
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End
MissNev

Postby sktELEMENT » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm

hmm...I wonder if it would be a good idea to set up a theme camp like that , I think people would really get into that...like a "draw names out of a hat" and switch it up kind of thing...think that would be allowed? This is just an idea. I know if I were single and I felt trustworthy I might dig something like that...Anyone else?

Or like a draw out of hat every 5 minutes has a different position...ooo all sorts of fun ways this could go!
sktELEMENT

Sure it would work

Postby joemomma » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:44 pm

I am sure it would work...maybe a naked twister???
Set it up and let us know the location !!!!!!!!!!
joemomma

Postby willyloafofphora » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 pm

The dust storm went well into the night on exodus Mon last year. Does every one know about condition alpha? It should probably be in the survival guide but I guess they don't want to scare people.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:08 pm

willyloafofphora wrote:Does every one know about condition alpha? It should probably be in the survival guide but I guess they don't want to scare people.

Oh please, do tell. Condition alpha sounds a bit like a shampoo commercial. "Your hair will be RADIANT." [cut to pouty femme fatale with slo-mo sweeping hair] "Condition Alpha, available at only the finest salons."
chiefdanfox

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:26 pm

Costco Soulmate Trading is sort of a "hookup" camp, but you have to provide yourself and a person of the opposite sex to put into the system... that's where they get their match people. Sex is not guaranteed.

Naked Twister has been done many times on the playa. It's either great or horrible, depending on the players.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby Gage » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:49 am

sktELEMENT wrote:hmm...I wonder if it would be a good idea to set up a theme camp like that , I think people would really get into that...like a "draw names out of a hat" and switch it up kind of thing...think that would be allowed? This is just an idea. I know if I were single and I felt trustworthy I might dig something like that...Anyone else?

Or like a draw out of hat every 5 minutes has a different position...ooo all sorts of fun ways this could go!

This whole discussion reminds me of the steriod user (Lucy's brother) on '50 First Dates', where he is asking the doctor questions for his 'friend', about experimenting with steriods, slurred speech, having nocturnal emissions, etc...

I might have to start me a thread like dat!! ;)
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Postby willyloafofphora » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:03 pm

OK so condition alpha or maybe alpha condition or something like that, is a weather condition on the playa that involves winds that are 50 mph or higher and that can potentially last for up to 72 hours. The amount of dust in the air makes breathing without a mask nearly impossible and it is recommended that you take shelter in a vehicle where you'll still probably want to be breathing through a mask. This is why they tell you to bring a 5 gallon bucket to use as an emergency pottie because you could potentially be stuck in your car for 3 days. This has never happened during the event but has happened during setup and break down. I'm sure there are other people here who could elaborate. Its kind of like the opposite of a nice shower with shampoo and conditioner.

Don't leave camp without water, dustmask, and goggles. Even at night.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby misfit » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:45 pm

>>>>Last year I noticed there were no sand storms at night<<<<<

monday post burn- 60 mph winds lasting until tuesday morning. we watched as people hastily loaded what they could into their vehicles, monday, and left the rest. it was a free- fest of tents, camping supplies, and shade material. thanks,,, to the person who left behind the 30 yds of quality mesh cotton....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Jordan 10-E » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:51 pm

misfit wrote:>>>>Last year I noticed there were no sand storms at night<<<<<

monday post burn- 60 mph winds lasting until tuesday morning. we watched as people hastily loaded what they could into their vehicles, monday, and left the rest. it was a free- fest of tents, camping supplies, and shade material. thanks,,, to the person who left behind the 30 yds of quality mesh cotton....

Actually the winds got even worse on Tuesday after the event than Monday, believe it or not. And it got quite cold and rained a bit. It was not fun.

As for winds at night, it does tend to calm down at night, however I have experienced strong winds at night multiple times over the years. A quick example was last year in the nights before the event. If this year is anything like last year don't be surprised about serious wind and dust day or night. HOPEFULLY it will be a bit calmer this year, but don't count on it. Come prepared as you can to deal.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Jordan 10-E » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 pm

As for "hook up" areas and other such activities there is always a party going on in my tent...

haha... I just had to be a dork and say that.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Postby Dusza Beben » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:08 pm

Took my stoopid pill this evening.
What direction does the prevailing wind come from on the playa?
I'm thinking West but can't friggin' remember.

DB
Agripunk,
Dusza Beben

Postby SecretOperativeBear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:12 pm

prevailing wind:
is west and/or southwest.
I remember because we had a mast holding up a parachute that broke in the wind.

Dust Storms at night:
It's a great idea to have some CLEAR goggles to for night time.
You can't see shit at night with tinted goggles.
SecretOperativeBear

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: BRC Recycle Camp

Postby Jordan 10-E » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:35 pm

Wind can come from either the North or South (generally speaking). That wind I mentioned on Tuesday after the event did what I have never experienced out there and came almost directly from the West.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:52 pm

As I recall , most of the wind storms, and dust devils are circular.......I'd say the bad winds will be unpredictable, but, the light to moderate, even pleasant winds will be north/south, since, the mountains in that area run that direction.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dusza Beben » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:38 am

Thanks!

DB
Agripunk,
Dusza Beben